Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

gallifrey

Re: Rant Thread

Postby gallifrey » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

ok this is quite ironic bc im ranting about the person who showed me xkcd in the first place.....

well there was a guy who was my boyfriend, but now hes hours away at college, which sucks but i can deal with that... but it turns out he used to smoke and purposely never told me bc for the most part he stopped before we got together.. but i found out last week hanging out with him n his friends n someone asked him n he agreed. N NEVER SAID HE STOPPED! so he didnt wanna look dumb in front of his friends.
also a long while ago he told me he doesn't drink or do drugs. now he tells me hes done both.
and i completely freaked out on him, and told him everything i thought. but now i feel horrible for doing that, and really incredibly sad bc i can't bear to be without him, dispite his being such a bastard.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.
Stars, hide your fires, let not light see my black and deep desires...

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

Maybe you don't want to hear this, but try being more open minded about him trying new things, even if you yourself have no interest in them. That way he'll be comfortable telling things instead of trying to hide them.

But if that's not what you want to hear, then,

Guys can be such lying assholes from time to time. Sorry he pulled that shit on you.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

Sounds reasonable.
Sounds like he said "I don't do drugs, booze, or cigarettes". Not "I've never used drugs, alcohol or smokes".

Meh. Doens't seem something to be worried about, that he did something in the past.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

Well, no. I think what she was saying was that he said "I don't do drugs, booze, or cigarettes" and then later he said "I used drugs, alcohol or smokes", referring to the time that he said he didn't.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

Ramses IV wrote:Well, no. I think what she was saying was that he said "I don't do drugs, booze, or cigarettes" and then later he said "I used drugs, alcohol or smokes", referring to the time that he said he didn't.

Ah. I didn't get that. Well, then yeah that's a little bit worse.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:Guys People can be such lying assholes from time to time. Sorry he pulled that shit on you.

Fix'd.
I hate it when people attribute a certain behaviour to my gender which is not exclusive to it (regardless of that person's sex or gender).

Rant: My warped perceptions of flirting.
Somewhere along the line (the line of life, my friends) I seem to have developed the tendency to have delusions of grandeur that the majority of girls fancy me, because I keep seeing "signs" (interestingly, the majority of these girls are attractive - coincidence?). Now, because this happens all the time, and because logic takes over here (namely the fact that I'm not all that talkative, charismatic or attractive) I keep telling myself the complete opposite thing, that they don't like me and I'm being a delusional fool. The problem arises that in any possible situations of a girl actually having feelings for me, I have no clue since I'm blinded by delusions and overcompensatory reactions. Hence, I have no idea if this has actually ever happened before because of itself. This thought has been sparked by seeing today that a girl I'm rather fond of (Girl Two if you're keeping track, which you likely aren't) conversing with a very good (male) friend in this social group silently over someone's head, while said male friend gestured wildly towards me with jerking motions of his head, followed by the girl seeming to disagree or not be enthusiastic about something (I should learn to lip read). Before this I have caught said girl staring at me a few times, one memorable time while I was eating a rather delicious egg mayo baguette and Belgian bun. When I asked why she was staring at me, she denied that she did.

The problem here: the narcissistic, delusional side says "Duh! She fancies you! It's freaking obvious!" then the pessimistic logical side says "Pff, she was probably just hungry or something and there's no indication that the silent conversation was to do with you, he was probably gesturing in the general direction of a building. You've gone and attached too much meaning to insignificant, unconnected events again!"

Sometimes life would be so much easier if we didn't have consciousness. I could've just mated with someone or been disemboweled by raptors by now or something.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

ARGH!
I HATE YOU STUPID ADVISORS! HATE SO MUCH!

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

God, when someone offers to show themselves on cam, PLEASE let it not be my best friend.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

gallifrey

Postby gallifrey » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Doens't seem something to be worried about, that he did something in the past.

its not so much that he actually did it, its mostly that he completely hid it from me. and it IS something he doesnt do anymore, but he wouldn't say that in front of his friends.

thecommabandit wrote:I hate it when people attribute a certain behaviour to my gender which is not exclusive to it (regardless of that person's sex or gender).

agreed

thecommabandit wrote:Sometimes life would be so much easier if we didn't have consciousness. I could've just mated with someone or been disemboweled by raptors by now or something.

even more so agreed. i completely understand what ur going through and i do that alot...
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.
Stars, hide your fires, let not light see my black and deep desires...

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
BomanTheBear wrote:Guys People can be such lying assholes from time to time. Sorry he pulled that shit on you.

Fix'd.
I hate it when people attribute a certain behaviour to my gender which is not exclusive to it (regardless of that person's sex or gender).

Somewhere along the line (the line of life, my friends) I seem to have developed the tendency to have delusions of grandeur that the majority of girls fancy me, because I keep seeing "signs" (interestingly, the majority of these girls are attractive - coincidence?). Now, because this happens all the time, and because logic takes over here (namely the fact that I'm not all that talkative, charismatic or attractive) I keep telling myself the complete opposite thing, that they don't like me and I'm being a delusional fool. The problem arises that in any possible situations of a girl actually having feelings for me, I have no clue since I'm blinded by delusions and overcompensatory reactions. Hence, I have no idea if this has actually ever happened before because of itself. This thought has been sparked by seeing today that a girl I'm rather fond of (Girl Two if you're keeping track, which you likely aren't) conversing with a very good (male) friend in this social group silently over someone's head, while said male friend gestured wildly towards me with jerking motions of his head, followed by the girl seeming to disagree or not be enthusiastic about something (I should learn to lip read). Before this I have caught said girl staring at me a few times, one memorable time while I was eating a rather delicious egg mayo baguette and Belgian bun. When I asked why she was staring at me, she denied that she did.

The problem here: the narcissistic, delusional side says "Duh! She fancies you! It's freaking obvious!" then the pessimistic logical side says "Pff, she was probably just hungry or something and there's no indication that the silent conversation was to do with you, he was probably gesturing in the general direction of a building. You've gone and attached too much meaning to insignificant, unconnected events again!"

Sometimes life would be so much easier if we didn't have consciousness. I could've just mated with someone or been disemboweled by raptors by now or something.

Interestingly, continuing to analyse the situation rarely makes it any less complex. You usually end up acknowledging the narcissism, the logic side seems as mere pessimism. Then you start to think why you try to be narcissistic or pessimistic and where true logic would lie. You begin to analyse more and more data, recursively acknowledging patterns of your behaviour and you can do that for months! Then you think it's hopeless and another part of you says that you only want to make it seem hopeless because you are too lazy to go through to the end. So, you march on endlessly into the realms of insanity, afraid of being a hypocrite if you stop. After that, you realise that it's more likely that you're moving more towards insanity than your actual goal and you begin to wonder if you're doing this purposefully because you really do not want to find the answer. Finally, you realise that all this mental construct is an atrocity, you tear it down (all the time reminding of yourself that you might just giving up) and start anew, hoping that it will go better next time.

I think games and science help a lot with enduring this thing. They train your mind to understand that failure is common and frequently a step towards success.

But I digress. I actually just wanted to talk about a situation I found myself into, which is pretty similar to yours, although different in the sense that it was more like one concentrated dose of the thing you deal with:
'Twas 2am dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forum lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

Now comes the best part. When I opened the door, it was a girl, obviously drunk, that said that she was in love with me and she needed my telephone number. Seeing that I am a man rarely to go outside and never to attend a party, I was naturally sceptical to her confessions. Actually, I judged that the whole thing was absurd and an obvious prank. Still, I tried to smile politely, show a hint of doubt and then I wrote down my phone number and gave it to her (later, I thought it would be better if I wrote a fake one). Before she left she hastily added that she might forget everything and never call which further reassured me it was a prank.

Now comes the worst part: I'm practically certain so I start cursing at her in my mind. I'm thinking "I'm just a harmless person, what kind of sick people would want to play such an awful prank on me?". Then I realised that there was also a slim possibility that I was wrong and she was telling the truth. THAT is what really got me. I was cursing her and all that only to realise that there is a chance that I was just being afraid of the incident being true so I saw signs of deception when appropriate so I wouldn't have to wander outside my safe zone. She never called me back but I didn't get any prank calls or my phone used in any malicious way. In retrospect, perhaps the point of the prank was not to have me believe that a girl would actually fall in love with me and knock on my door to announce it to me but to put me into this hellish position of uncertainty. Maybe I'm overanalysing now, though.

PS: Yay, my first real rant. Hope you enjoyed it 'cause it won't be a frequent occurrence.
Last edited by Naurgul on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:50 am UTC

Haha, that second part was supposed to be just a me-too type thing. I didn't really believe it. Besides, I AM a guy.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:32 am UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:Haha, that second part was supposed to be just a me-too type thing. I didn't really believe it. Besides, I AM a guy.

It is... kinda... like one situation that exemplifies that awkward position...

>.>

<.<

Is this the rant thread or not?! >:P

Anyway, you can choose to believe it or not; in one case you label me as an imaginative pathological liar, in the other as a social outcast and a perfect victim for pranks and bullying. Frankly, it doesn't make much of a difference at that point. :|

PS: Unless you meant whether you would believe the girl if you were in my place.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:57 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:To be honest, I'm more concerned about having the damn thing here in the first place. We have no official religion, yet the government pours millions of dollars in funding into a recruitment drive for our largest church.
These silly laws are the first thing I've heard of that give the impression that the government is treating this any different to any other event that brings in as many people. I don't mind them spending money on it in the same way I didn't mind the Victorian government spending money on the Grad Prix (or whatever other sporting event.)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:04 am UTC

Except for the distinction between a cultural event with broad widespread appeal, or a religious group, when they wouldn't give the same treatment to any other of those groups.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:43 am UTC

Rant topic: my sister, and HD TV, and LOST.

Slight intro: we recently signed up to SkyHD - British digital TV provider that now offers a high definition television package, assuming a correctly attuned television for showing it. As well as this, it comes with a storage and recording facility for recording and rewinding live television for later view, or pausing while you go for food.

I just realised why our Sky box recording area is already 80% full. 50% was my sister recording a full series of Lost... IN HIGH DEFINITION. Initially I'd seen it as a series of Lost had been recorded, and knowing each week is about 5hr episodes I barely batted an eyelid at the 4% memory for each one. However, when comparing one standard defintion recorded episode of Heroes (episodes shown simultaneously on standard BBC2 and BBC HD) to another recorded in HD (i.e. same duration and content size) shows HD takes about 4x as much memory. Seriously, what, the, fuck! HD is nice to watch stuff on, but it doesn't make enough difference to quality, especially on a rewatch when you're bringing a friend over to watch the content, that you need to take up the entire memory area for your pathetic show that goes nowhere. Soon she'll be complaining that there's no memory left for her simultaneous recordings of about 10 various US dramas that she will either:
a) watch on the night, record for the hell of it - IN HD
b) not watch on the night, record for future viewing, view it, then leave it on even after she's seen the full series
c) record, then claim not to have the time to view it, as she has another 9 dramas on a backlog of viewing
Is it really worth obstructing the space for the shows I don't have time to watch, just because when she watches it again she wants to see every pixel reflected in the teardrop running down the face of a random fat Yank who's been stranded on a desert island for 5 years and somehow not had his peers cannibalize him?

</rant>

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:02 am UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:RANTY RANTY RANT

Solution: Do what we do at my mum's house. Back that shit up onto disk/removable hard drive.

It works for us! :D
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:08 am UTC

But-but-it's LOST! Have you seen some of those men? Have you seen Sayid getting all punchy punchy? Have you seen Ben twitch? These, my friend, are definitely occasions for HD. (The last one for a different reason from the first two.)
Raise up the torch and light the way.

ian

Postby ian » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:11 am UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:Rant topic: my sister, and HD TV, and LOST.

</rant>

is she actually aware that it takes up so much space? have you discussed it with her?

also, you clearly don't know anything about LOST or watch it if you think they've been on the island for 5 years, so why are you ranting about it?

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:12 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:

Fix'd.

Rant: People who take my rants away from me. Both of these were practically precisely what i was going to post. I mean, the real-life situation mentioned is different to mine, of course, but is the same in essentials. There's a girl in one of my classes who lays her head on me when she's laughing, touches me more often than really neccessary, laughs when I say things that aren't greatly amusing, seems to think I am a genius, those sorts of things, but all of them are things that could happen to friends. How am I meant to know whether it is flirting or not? Gah!

Also, should the thread title get a cool rename? Any suggestions?
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:31 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Solution: Do what we do at my mum's house. Back that shit up onto disk/removable hard drive.

It works for us! :D
You can do that with the SkyHD system? Hmm.
ian wrote:is she actually aware that it takes up so much space? have you discussed it with her?
No, only discovered her screw-up yesterday evening actually.
ian wrote:also, you clearly don't know anything about LOST or watch it if you think they've been on the island for 5 years, so why are you ranting about it?
Well, even if it isn't 5 years, I'm vaguely sure the overweight Caucasian male with dark longish hair would have had what natural selection had coming to him by now.
Quixotess wrote:But-but-it's LOST! Have you seen some of those men? Have you seen Sayid getting all punchy punchy? Have you seen Ben twitch? These, my friend, are definitely occasions for HD. (The last one for a different reason from the first two.)
That information would be portrayed perfectly fine in standard definition. Unless you provided a truly HD feed to compare it with, you could shove in a TV in the middle of somewhere, label it as "HD", then show a standard definition feed through it, and no-one would realise it wasn't high-def. Likewise, why would a twitch be so groundbreaking that only HD does it justice?

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:34 am UTC

Rant thread: Pissed off? So are we.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:35 am UTC

1. Hugo Reyes is Hispanic. As is the actor who plays him.
2. Your questioning of the magnificence of the Ben-twitch is all I need to know you haven't seen it. The man...his eyes...their shape...HE'S SO EVIL OKAY YOU HAVE NO IDEA.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:37 am UTC

HD is good, in that over time, we will see significant improvement in clarity of pictures. (Well, you will, I won't, until I get glasses.)

But right now.. I can live with standard definition.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:39 am UTC

Ramses IV wrote:
wing wrote:FOR FUCK'S SAKE CAN I DO ONE FUCKING THING WITH THIS GIRL WITHOUT IMMEDIATELY BEING UPSTAGED BY SOME OTHER GOD DAMNED ASSHOLE!?!??!

I'm having a difficult and heart-wrenching discussion, spilling my guts on the floor and potentially ruining the best friendship I have ever had, and some god damn motherfucking wanker calls her and ASKS HER TO FUCKING MARRY HIM. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

There is a God, and he hates me. Now I can add my atheism to the list of things that are forever broken tonight.

DAMN. That's fucking messed up man. Crazy! I didn't know stuff like that actually happened. Damn. Did she get all excited (jumping up and down and whatnot) or say yes? Or was she all "I'll think about it."

Slightly more brutal, actually. She told the drug-addled lunatic never to contact her again.

However, it disrupted my flow and I lost my momentum. Tonight wasn't a good time because her parents went out of town arbitrarily and unannounced, so she wanted to spend her night with her boytoy. This is particularly frustrating (and ironic) because what I'm trying to discuss with her is that I am sick and tired of playing second fiddle to every useless sack of man-flesh that comes along and being kept on the back burner (counting just the ones I know the names of there are currently... 6 men who are not me vying for a piece, and combined, she's known them less than a year total. I've been at her side since damn near BIRTH and entertained the idea ever since I knew that there was something out there beyond being best friends).

And I was twenty. Fucking. Seconds. from the punchline. It was honestly the next thing out of my mouth. But because of that fucking hollywood romantic comedy interruption, all she got was a restatement of the things she already knows.

This whole thing is momentum-based for me, because I need to force myself to say things that I feel that my mind won't normally let me say because I'm afraid of the worst-case-scenario. Shutting me down in the middle like that gives me time to do stupid shit like apologize for wasting her time, and forces me back to square one - which is waiting until she's available and receptive to my ideas, waiting until I'm available and have a moment of desparation to push me over the edge that is opening my mouth about it in the first place.

On second thought, maybe it's not a God. Maybe this is like the Truman Show. And if it is, FUCK YOU ALL I KNOW YOU'RE JUST ACTORS POSTING ON A FORUM TO MAKE ME THINK THIS IS REAL!
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:30 am UTC

wing: Okay, so it doesn't suck as much as I thought it did. But still, that's pretty sucky. You're right.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

wing wrote:Rant

So... why the fuck are you hanging out with her again or whatever? I mean, clearly she has no interest in a relationship with you, at least not a serious one, so despite how you may feel for her, because she's unable to give back in at least the token of a similar amount... why not look elsewhere?

People are so damn similar that there's at least a couple dozen of her running around you in a fifty mile radius.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

As an addendum to my previous post about "love" life issues:

Liking two girls at once and having lots of contact with both of them on a daily basis is NOT FUN. I spend a certain amount of time with one and I'm like "Ok, I think I like her more" and then I'll go to a lesson and be doing something with the other one and it all gets reversed. Also doesn't help when the balance has been tipped over a longer period of time towards one girl, and then the other starts flirting more (or I think she flirts with me more - see previous post) and the first one tends to not pay much attention to me.
MAKE UP YOUR FUCKING MIND, UNIVERSE. I KNOW YOU LIKE TO FUCK ABOUT WITH ME BUT FOR ONCE WILL YOU PLEASE NOT TRAP ME IN AN IMMENSELY FRUSTRATING SITUATION OF MINOR IMPORTANCE. CAN YOU JUST MAKE THE DECISION CLEAR FOR ONCE SO I CAN GET ALL OF THIS SHIT OUT OF THE WAY AND PERHAPS GET A GIRLFRIEND OUT OF IT.
Signed,
that guy you like to metaphorically push in the mud and then give him a fluffy towel to dry himself off with.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Choose. Ask her out or whatever. ??? Profit.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Choose.

You must not have read my post. This is exactly the dilemma I was was ranting about.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Naurgul wrote:
BomanTheBear wrote:Haha, that second part was supposed to be just a me-too type thing. I didn't really believe it. Besides, I AM a guy.

It is... kinda... like one situation that exemplifies that awkward position...

>.>

<.<

Is this the rant thread or not?! >:P

Anyway, you can choose to believe it or not; in one case you label me as an imaginative pathological liar, in the other as a social outcast and a perfect victim for pranks and bullying. Frankly, it doesn't make much of a difference at that point. :|

PS: Unless you meant whether you would believe the girl if you were in my place.

Oh god, I'm sorry, I mean with reference to what I said above, I just happened to have shitty timing. I'll be sure to quote from now on.

As to my rant, it seems like I can't help but fall for women who are hours away from me. I mean, I'm in North Carolina, and she's in Florida. FUCK. And then there's the thing with every female friend I have telling me that they love me. WHAT THE SHIT. I'm distant and abrasive on purpose. I'm trying to be UNLOVABLE. But yet everyone keeps want to be more than a friend. Goddamn. Maybe I should stop sleeping around.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:

You must not have read my post. This is exactly the dilemma I was was ranting about.

You're ranting that life isn't easy, and that you have to actually do something for things to progress. Well, yeah. Life isn't going to just drop in your lap. You have to go out there and take chances, make mistakes, and live life.

If you can, pick one, and ask her. If you can't keep them both as friends and find someone else.

If you can't do that, tell them "I'm sorry, I need to spend time away from you. I've developped feelings of attachment, which just aren't good for the continuation of our relationship. I'm not in a good place right now, and need some me time. I hope that you understand. You're an awesome friend."

Or, you can keep complaining. That works too. It feels good to complain, and since it never gets anything done, you'll always have something to complain about. The only problem is when people give you suggestions, and you ignore them, people start to ignore you. I know, I've been there.

So, yeah.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

Flip a coin.

And if you somehow fail at one, you've always got the other.
多么现在棕色母牛?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:

Though Jess pretty much already covered it..

You're complaining that one of them isn't choosing for you. Make the choice yourself. You may choose poorly.. if so, so be it. At least you'll be out of the unknown territory.

Socal Swimmer

Postby Socal Swimmer » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

this is the rant thread, people are allowed to be a little unreasonable.

I wish life made more sense. Like there was a scorecard, that you could see, so at least you know how you are doing (even if its shitty) rather than guessing at it through the fog of whatever your mental state happens to be at the time.
Yawgmoth wrote:Girls who play "hard to get" are the fucking-devil incarnate.

I Am Raven wrote:"I don't wear underwear and like to swing the goods from left to right!"

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

The way I see the rant thread, if you don't want people to reply to the issue of the rant, maybe you shouldn't post it on a public forum. You can be as unreasonable in your rant as you want, and you don't have to listen when people call you on it, and give you advice, but it's going to happen. You're ranting about something, and generally people like to try and help others out when they rant.

Socal Swimmer

Postby Socal Swimmer » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:The way I see the rant thread, if you don't want people to reply to the issue of the rant, maybe you shouldn't post it on a public forum. You can be as unreasonable in your rant as you want, and you don't have to listen when people call you on it, and give you advice, but it's going to happen. You're ranting about something, and generally people like to try and help others out when they rant.

You do have a point.. I would rant about it but it would be unreasonable and then invite responses, my ignorance of which would lead to the ignoring of me by others.

So, in short, you are right.

:)
Yawgmoth wrote:Girls who play "hard to get" are the fucking-devil incarnate.

I Am Raven wrote:"I don't wear underwear and like to swing the goods from left to right!"

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

Actually I think there is also a place in this thread for rants that you don't want answers for, if you then ignore the answers.

I like reading the rants, keep posting.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:

Choose. DO NOT fuck around because you're afraid to take risks. I can tell you from experience that it sure as hell does not work. You can't make the right decision if you're afraid of making the wrong one.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Dear god, all of you have missed the point. It's not that I'm afraid to choose one or ask them out (I will be but that's a bridge I will conquer when I come to it). The problem is that I like both equally and that whenever I start to settle on one something screws that up and they end up being balanced again. I realise that you might think this a kind of "flip a coin" decision but if I flipped a coin I'd likely be unhappy with the results either way. Hence ranting because if I walked through one door, I'd lament the closing of the other, so to speak.

I've realised that I'm being a fool here, I've said that you've all been missing the point when it's in fact me who's been missing the point. Thanks for the advice, but I don't in all honesty think it will help me much. Perhaps I'll pop in to LSR and see if they can help some with a more detailed and rational description of the situation :P

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Socal Swimmer wrote:
Jessica wrote:The way I see the rant thread, if you don't want people to reply to the issue of the rant, maybe you shouldn't post it on a public forum. You can be as unreasonable in your rant as you want, and you don't have to listen when people call you on it, and give you advice, but it's going to happen. You're ranting about something, and generally people like to try and help others out when they rant.

You do have a point.. I would rant about it but it would be unreasonable and then invite responses, my ignorance of which would lead to the ignoring of me by others.
So, in short, you are right.
:)

If you don't want to hear someone saying something you disagree with to your rant, post it on livejournal and turn the comments off.

Also, congratulations, Commabandit.

Return to “General”