Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Quixotess » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:33 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:[*]5. Verbal punishment for misbehaviour ('I can't wait until you leave') - this is very cold. But what exactly did you 'do wrong' to receive this riposte? And why do you do wrong on such a frequent basis? Perhaps by not being in the wrong so frequently, you would not be subject to such damaging words.

Heh. Yes yes, and perhaps if I had held still, she wouldn't have hit me.

Anyway, 'twas a multitude of offenses. Generally, there are many things you can say that she doesn't like. "Can you go shopping?" "We have plenty of food." "We're out of bread and milk." "You kids are so demanding !$$^&3 goto5."
Or, "Yeah, I went out to the bar last night, but it wasn't any fun. Every guy there was either short or black." "Mom... there's nothing wrong with black guys." "Don't tell me what I can and can't like goto5 you're always judging me."
Or, "$political opinion she has." "Dissenting opinion." "goto5 I never get any respect."

Yeah, maybe I should learn to keep my mouth shut, but a) Jesus Christ, b) I usually think we're just having a discussion--there's no way to tell exactly what will set her off.

Which is generally the problem with the other things---what frazzles my nerves. There is no way to tell what will set her off. I don't have any way of knowing whether she'll charge me money for a certain offense, or yell at me, or give me extra chores, or not even care. It changes every time. My sister was grounded for a semester over a dozen times--she would always relent. Is she a monster? No, I suppose not. Is she mad difficult to live with, especially in a subordinate relationship? YES. Thus my rant. It's the rant thread, that's all.

As for 8, I lost another paycheck the next month and was too terrified to go home and called my older sister for help, blubbering, etc. As for 9, the parents of the other girls would beg to differ. Me too.

*shrug*
Last edited by Quixotess on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:55 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Socal Swimmer

Postby Socal Swimmer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Apologies to Quixotess, but a quick run-down of each point may suggest that a flawed parent is not necessarily a detestable monster.

• 1. Charging for chores - this is strict discipline and merely fiduciary punishment. Way to avoid the 'random' charge? Do the chores.
  • 2. Making your child run menial tasks - this may be considered laziness, but possibly more (I suspect) down to enforcing authority upon your children
  • 3. Wrong vacuum bags - lack of admittance in the face of clear mistakery could suggest unwillingness to show 'weakness' in front of children; like above, authority is valued higher than sorrow.
  • 4. Not replacing essentials, but squandering money on luxuries - Um, it's her money? Preaching pennywise behaviour but not practising it may be hypocritical, but her advice is sound. Ask anyone who has to work for cash to afford to live; frivolities are rare unless you're raking it in. My sofa was shred to fuckery, but I couldn't go out and afford to replace it. Yet I did buy an iPod.
  • 5. Verbal punishment for misbehaviour ('I can't wait until you leave') - this is very cold. But what exactly did you 'do wrong' to receive this riposte? And why do you do wrong on such a frequent basis? Perhaps by not being in the wrong so frequently, you would not be subject to such damaging words.
  • 6. Catcher on the dryer broke, resulting in constant temporary repairs - a minor annoyance/inconvenience that I doubt can be construed as anything but a humorous anecdote for later years.
  • 7. Physical violence - this is reprehensible
  • 8. Lost paycheck - You lost your paycheck. She's makes an example of your idiocy (perhaps taking it to extreme measures). Bet you'll never lose your paycheck again, eh? Quite a valuable lesson learned.
  • 9. Bringing men home, scaring your slumber party - it's her house, am I right?
  • 10. 'I'm not $contributing to your education' - this may be considered mean. Do you have a right to that money? Your father & grandfather are contributing, which is two more people than I had contributing. I just worked for a year so I could pay my own fees, however our education systems may differ somewhat.

So anyway, an imperfect parent, but not one everyone can suddenly show hatred for based on ten vague sentences. (Barring one of them of course, and that's only if you regard corporal punishment as bad)

1) if it has happened 5 times in her entire life, then the times are way to far and few between to be at all predictable. With no predictability, there can be no avoidance. Unless you want to basically kiss ass and do everything all the time, in which case quixotess would likely receive more and more chores until it became ridiculous (cause it would be so easy for her mom to assign them)

2) this does not seem like authority. authority is ensuring that rules are followed, and respect is shown. Authority is not "fetch, I'm on the couch". That is ridiculous.

3) such an obvious mistake cannot be dismissed. this isn't authority, this is ridiculous pride or simple laziness.

4) her advice is not sound (based on her reasoning of "boring or old to you") as it is clearly broken and in need of replacement. Her money, yes, but it also isn't consistent with the $300 thing

5) the statement of "I hope you leave" is intolerable coming from a parent. They are supposed to value you and show respect for you, and for them to say "I don't want you here" is incredibly damaging. It also seems like her outbursts are totally random, and not based on any disrespect or broken rules.

6) ...

7) Yes, it is reprehensible

8) Actually, she did make the same mistake again, the next month. The screaming accomplished nothing. Also, a lost paycheck is a lesson in and of itself. If she had lost her mom's money it would be a different story, but it wasn't, it was hers.

9) with a house full of teenage daughters, the mother should not be bringing home older men. common sense, eh? and also the other parents thought the same.

10) meh, I will be paying every cent of my college education from loans. So I kind of agree with felstaff.
Yawgmoth wrote:Girls who play "hard to get" are the fucking-devil incarnate.

I Am Raven wrote:"I don't wear underwear and like to swing the goods from left to right!"

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:12 am UTC

I dunno, Quixotess' mum sounds like she'd get along great with mine.

Yeah, I know a lot of it won't necessarily sound like it's unbearable when written out, but the reality ends up being really unfortunate. Like the knowing that you can't "talk back" to your mother when she's verbally abusing you, but not knowing when you opening your mouth at all will be considered "talking back." It's a really fabbo way of getting repressed anger issues. I find that and my too-ready willingness to believe that almost anytime a hand is moving near my face that I'm going to be smacked to be a wonderful tribute to my not-entirely-detestable parent.

There are worse mothers out there, but a) it's the rant thread, sounded like a pretty good rant target to me, and b) no one deserves even a slightly cracked-in-the-head parent - kids just can't generally disassociate their parent's screwed up behaviour from normalcy, and it makes life really weird until you catch on.

Oh, and I second the observation about close sibling relationships from fucked up parents.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:02 am UTC

Felstaff, as a person who was subject to some pretty fucking awful-bordering-on-abusive parenting growing up, I would ask you to cease bending over backwards to justify similar. You may come from a magical fairyland where everything a parent does is completely for the interests of their child and any apparent cruelty, apathy, or selfishness is just tough love or some other drek, but that isn't everyone. Some parents are just bad.

I especially liked the mental contortions employed to blame a child for her own verbal and emotional abuse at the hands of her parents.

"Perhaps by not being in the wrong so frequently, you would not be subject to such damaging words."?

Stay classy.

(that counts as a rant, right?)
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:15 pm UTC

Yes, I see point five as a bone of contention, but from what I read, it happened 'frequently' and only happened when Quixotess was 'in the wrong' which implied she was 'frequently in the wrong' (whether Quixotess was actually in the wrong, or merely unfairly justified by the mother to be 'in the wrong' is not clear), so I stand by the initial part of point five, but rescind everything after the word perhaps, as that was uncalled for.

Please don't see my post as like me being the defence attorney for Mrs. Quixotess, it was not my aim. Rather than out-and-out justifying everything she did that was apparently 'psycho', I was trying more to address the reactions that followed ("Evil woman! Burn the witch!" I think was one direct quote) by providing a hypothetical other-side-of-the-coin.

Effectively: don't judge someone you only know ten sentences about, especially when each of those ten sentences have a feasible counterpoint.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:33 pm UTC

(whether Quixotess was actually in the wrong, or merely unfairly justified by the mother to be 'in the wrong' is not clear)

Much like physical abuse, verbal and emotional abuse are pretty much never okay. To wit, it doesn't matter if your kids are "in the wrong", you're their damn parent, you don't get to start throwing punches, physical or metaphorical.

Effectively: don't judge someone you only know ten sentences about, especially when each of those ten sentences have a feasible counterpoint.

Except, by your own admission, they don't. 7 doesn't, and I would add 5 as well. And all the others contribute to a pretty clear pattern linked to the other two.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

New rule! no more endless debates on hypothetical things other than... Sciency-math type things (OK fine, proposed new rule...)

Fucking royal mail and their fucking fuck. "Were open from 4am - 11am, for your convenience."

Now i have to wait till Monday. Huff.

Also, i just achieved my first sneeze-cough. My entire head from the nose down aches.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

I <3 Royal Mail and their bizzare, quaint traditions like not being open on the weekend. No, really. I was going to pick up a package, but I got caught up with other things and so, like you, have to wait for Monday.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:52 pm UTC

I think id rather organize for them to redeliver. I have to go into town, which is a fair hike in the morning for someone so lazy.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

Yes, yes, yes!
Gotta agree with you there. Royal Mail are pretty poor.
Having been the only one in the house these past two weeks, and predominately leaving before 8am, getting home at 6pm for the daily commute into town for work, I got lumbered with 2 of the "We're sorry you were out" cards they churn out and stamp off any time someone has a certain item delivered while the occupant is away. You're sorry I was working an honest 9-to-5 shift for a meagre salary while you get double that for driving a van around the area once a day around 10am? Okay I forgive you.
Reading the card, I am asked to:
a) Visit the sorting office. The 'local' one in question is 20 miles away, devoid of any convenient public transportation links, and is only open from 7:10 to 7:29 am on a weekday or for five minutes on Saturday morning at the discretion of the franchisee.
b) Arrange for redelivery, on an overly bureaucratic website.
Now, as I have common sense, and because I know that one half of the missed delivery is an overdue EbAY package for a family member, I chose b). Crazy thing is, there's an extreme time delay on the items. Essentially I could only choose a weekend date, as post on a weekday rarely arrives before noon. On top of this, one requirement is "Please give us 5 days to transport your little package (which turned out to be free light-bulbs from British Gas *facepalm*) back to the Sorting Office where we will keep it for 1 day maximum until we get an order for redelivery, otherwise your item will be incinerated". So I had to wait a good week.
Fast-forward this morning. Knowing I would have 2 items coming that I'd need to have the door open to collect, I was up at 7. First delivery (British Gas bulbs) comes at around 8, fine. The second item comes at 10. Seriously, why?! I sent the redelivery request almost a week ago, and it didn't give you enough time to put 2 and 2 together to make 3.999... that perhaps the occupier had 2 items and that it would in fact have been ideal to shove them both in the same van?!
</rant>

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

Briefly (late for work), I would like to thank everyone again (and Belial for the first time), clarify that I am not trying to whine or just doing it for the sympathy, add that I don't have a problem paying for my college--it was the justification that was ridiculous. If she had just left it at "you'll have to pay for your own" that wouldn't have been a problem, and apologize if I've caused problems. Thanks!

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:30 am UTC

Lateral thinking puzzles. What the fuck? For every lateral thinking puzzle I've ever come across, there are a million "correct" solutions, but only one that's somehow more "clever" than all the others, and that's the one that gets selected as correct. I'm sure many of you have heard of this example (from Wikipedia, and also in a puzzle book I bought):

There is a man who lives on the top floor of a very tall building. Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave the building to go to work. Upon returning from work though, he can only travel half of the distance up riding in the elevator and has to walk the rest of the way up unless it's raining! How can this be?

Maybe the elevator has to be repaired in the afternoon, but the workmen don't like to go to work in the rain? Maybe he wants to get some exercise, but feels depressed when it rains? These are a bit contrived, I admit, but so is the real solution: He's a fucking dwarf that can't hit the elevator buttons on top, but can when he has an umbrella. :roll: Bull. Shit.

Um... I was going to write another rant, but I was so busy writing that one that I forgot it. :oops:
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:59 am UTC

The Hyphenator wrote:Lateral thinking puzzles. What the fuck? For every lateral thinking puzzle I've ever come across, there are a million "correct" solutions, but only one that's somehow more "clever" than all the others, and that's the one that gets selected as correct. I'm sure many of you have heard of this example (from Wikipedia, and also in a puzzle book I bought):

There is a man who lives on the top floor of a very tall building. Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave the building to go to work. Upon returning from work though, he can only travel half of the distance up riding in the elevator and has to walk the rest of the way up unless it's raining! How can this be?

Maybe the elevator has to be repaired in the afternoon, but the workmen don't like to go to work in the rain? Maybe he wants to get some exercise, but feels depressed when it rains? These are a bit contrived, I admit, but so is the real solution: He's a fucking dwarf that can't hit the elevator buttons on top, but can when he has an umbrella. :roll: Bull. Shit.

Um... I was going to write another rant, but I was so busy writing that one that I forgot it. :oops:

I agree. If that's the case, why doesn't he just carry an umbrella all the time? Derr.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:12 am UTC

The Hyphenator wrote:Lateral thinking puzzles. What the fuck? For every lateral thinking puzzle I've ever come across, there are a million "correct" solutions, but only one that's somehow more "clever" than all the others, and that's the one that gets selected as correct. I'm sure many of you have heard of this example (from Wikipedia, and also in a puzzle book I bought):

See, that one can actually be deduced by the information given. I hate the ones that go something like "A guy walks into a seafood restaurant and orders the lobster bisque. Upon his first bite, he makes a face, politely pays for his meal, and leaves without eating any more. That night, he commits suicide. Why?"

and you're supposed to figure out that he's just been recently rescued from a deserted island, where he and someone else managed to make it but the man's child somehow died along the way, and his companion made a "lobster bisque" for them to eat or something, and the man just now figured out that he'd actually eaten his child.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:59 am UTC

Oh, I fucking hate that one.

We spent a long night camping by a river in the Peruvian rainforest, and some asshole who I wont name, decided it would be fun to do some lateral thinking games to pass the time. That one in particular drove me crazy.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:41 am UTC

They sort of work if you can ask yes/no questions, but by and large they're just annoying. Particularly after I've given a half dozen or so feasible answers, none of which are deemed "correct", only to finally get the real answer, which turns out to be trite and stupid.

Honestly, the most fun bit of them is coming up with the *wrong* answers.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:45 am UTC

Fuck you, texttwist. On what planet is "pomade" a word?

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:54 am UTC

Erm. Pomade is so totally a word. Granted it's a word for poncy hair gel, and as such you're not likely to need it often, but it's so a word.

...damnit, now I want to play text twist. *shakes fist*

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:44 am UTC

Sandry wrote:They sort of work if you can ask yes/no questions, but by and large they're just annoying. Particularly after I've given a half dozen or so feasible answers, none of which are deemed "correct", only to finally get the real answer, which turns out to be trite and stupid.

Honestly, the most fun bit of them is coming up with the *wrong* answers.

I liked some of them, just not the ones where you were expected to craft a rather macabre and totally unhinted at short story to explain the game.

I especially liked that my best friend, pretty much considered the smartest guy that all of us knew, was totally hopeless at every single one of the games. The irony was appealing. Plus, when we finished, we all sat back and watched shooting stars while the fire burned low, so all in all it was a pretty cool night.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:46 am UTC

Sandry wrote:Erm. Pomade is so totally a word. Granted it's a word for poncy hair gel, and as such you're not likely to need it often, but it's so a word.

Hm, OED doesn't like it.

Also...
Fuck you, texttwist. Since when is "weft" a word?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:59 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:
Sandry wrote:Erm. Pomade is so totally a word. Granted it's a word for poncy hair gel, and as such you're not likely to need it often, but it's so a word.

Hm, OED doesn't like it.

Also...
Fuck you, texttwist. Since when is "weft" a word?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weft

I'm sorry :<

I hate seagulls. I hope they get extinct or slowly tortured for the rest of their lives. Goddamn flying rats attack me when I'm just out walking no matter where I walk, they are also close to monkeys on the flinging feces around department. And they try to steal my food :x
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:03 am UTC

Ohhhhhhhhhh...

Explanation: My dictionary is stuck on thesaurus.

Texttwist still drives me crazy though.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:I agree. If that's the case, why doesn't he just carry an umbrella all the time? Derr.

or some sort of extend able stick? (like a riot baton, but less "im gonna break your legs)-y
I have a bamboo pole (*giggles like schoolchild*) for poking (*further giggling*). And im 6'2"!

Thats cause my house is old and has high ceilings with fire alarms to test on them; i can reach elevator buttons fine.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Ohhhhhhhhhh...

Explanation: My dictionary is stuck on thesaurus.

Texttwist still drives me crazy though.

Yeah, in the end it drives me nuts, too. I mean, I usually end up staring for the last thirty seconds at three words all three or four letters, which, on revelation, turn out to be retarded things that shouldn't actually be words. Like "TED." I've certainly never seen that used as a legitimate word.

I gave up when I lost on "ardors." I just don't think it's ever occurred to me that I'd need to discuss *multiple* ardors. I'm not sure I can even come up with a reason for it. Maybe "you and I must both cool our ardors"? Oh, whatever.

micco

Postby micco » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

What a fucking shitty day! First of, it was rainy the whole morning, but when I had to go to work the sun started shining. The workday wast too busy, and I was supposed to get out at 21.00 but o, instead I just got started on washing the dishes. And what did my co-worker do while I was washing the dishes? Well, she was just hanging around and eating ice cream. I finally got to leave at 23.00. So I put on my headphones outside, and find out that they are broken. All this and I haven`t eaten anything today.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

So, someone hit a fire hydrant at my school yesterday. The result was a 50 foot column of water directly behind the building in which I live. The cascade of water flooded the electrical room of the building which, for reasons beyond my ability to comprehend, is built in a recess in the ground with zero drainage.

The room filled with water and the main electrical to the building was destroyed.

The building has no power, and as such, no one is allowed to live there (fire detection systems are offline along with everything else).

So, after spending 7 hours doing Parkour on campus until I could barely walk, I come home expecting to shower and sleep only to find out instead that I have to climb 8 flights of stairs and haul whatever I can carry back down those stairs.

No computer, fridge, books, 360, tv, etc. In fact, according to my friend, the power surge that hit when the building's electrical got fried may have killed my computer (power went off with a big surge but came back on for a few minutes during which time my pc wouldn't even POST. Then the power died for good).

So for the next week or so I'm stuck living out of a backpack with only a few changes of clothes and the bare essentials as far as toiletries are concerned.

I'd rant at this point about the stupidity of the building design, lack of fail safes, lack of compensation from my school, shittiness of the situation in general, etc, but honestly I'm too worn out from all this bullshit.

At any rate, I won't be around much the next few days because of all this, possibly longer if my pc really is dead. :x

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:40 am UTC

DAMN.

Was your computer on a surge protector at all?

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:37 am UTC

(note: I'm pretty much making this post to kill time. I'm extremely bored.)
This is somewhat rant worthy, though I'm not mad about it, just kinda irked.
Summer registration: My college has tons of students and, consequently, we have to register ourselves. This wouldn't be too bad considering that they had an online tutorial and even had plenty of people there to help us with registration, yet I still feel somewhat annoyed. The tutorial was helpful, but it didn't even mention what a section was, nor that the lecture and discussion classes had to have the same section, nor what it meant when no section was listed for a class. After trying to fit in a calculus class for about half an hour, I finally gave complete control to one of the helpers who eventually managed to get the program to add a calculus class. What I just found out--and what the university made no effort to inform me of--is that I've been placed in a calc section that's completely computer-based, meaning no lectures, no textbooks, etc. The website that explained this went on about how beneficial this method is to people who struggle with the traditional type of math class. This is probably the worst fit for me because I would prefer having a textbook and a lecture (and learn best the traditional way), I have no trouble with math (in fact, I want to minor in it), and I'm not planning on bringing a computer to the university with me. I mean would it have been that hard to inform us of which sections mean what? And I read through all of the information we were given at orientation, and all it mentions is that this computer-based section exists, and says that it's up to the student to choose whether they feel this class is right for them.
Honestly though, I'm not all that upset over this, since I emailed an advisor about how wrong this section is for me, and I'm pretty much just killing time until I get a response from him/her (which will probably be tommorow). Pretty much I have to wait until late August until I can actually change my classes though. (And it's going to be a bitch, considering how packed my schedule is. >.<)

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:57 am UTC

so, I turned up at work today thinking it was going to be a fairly relaxing day. I only had one project to work on; and a mini deadline that should be easy to meet by the end of the day. The project that had been eating me up recently, I deployed on Friday.
So I work leisurely on my current project until about 10. And then, I'm contacted to say that the project I deployed on Friday isn't working properly in the live environment. It works fine on my machine and I CAN'T WORK OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.
And then, at about 10:30, a customer phones up for me to say that some of the functionality on a website that hasn't had any code changes in WEEKS has 'stopped working'. Which I was pretty damn skeptical about. But, she wasn't lying. And I lost 20 minutes to a virtual machine that I needed to use to look into that starting up. And now, due to some MCMS quirkiness, I can't open the project.
So now I'm working on 3 things when I thought I would be working on 1. And they all basically have deadlines by the end of the day. :x
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:16 am UTC

My rant is going to seem small and trivial compared to previous ones but...

I still can't find a job and its pissing me off. :x If I had the money to do my driving test, it would all be good, since there are some decent jobs within the sort of 30-50 mile radius of where I am. But, to do my driving test, I need cash. Which means I need a job. In other words, to get a job I need a job. :x

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:22 am UTC

Evil=Darkness, Black
Good=Light, White

Why?

Why is it that light is always good, and shadows always evil?

The popular morality/god game Black & White has a split conscience. The evil side, named Black, the good side, named White. By most people, that is. They don't officially have names, but they refer to themselves as such in their introduction.

Why can't the good guys dress in black for reasons other than it being a suit? Why does evil never wear white, except when masquerading as good?

The only story I've read which has strong overtones of good and evil, and has anything even close to a decent mix-up of black and white is Grandia II. The dark god is the one mostly on our side, and the dead light god was a right bastard. Not so straightforward, though, with the dark god's bodyparts being manipulated by a light god priest.

It's bloody irritating. Certainly, I say this as a person who likes black. I don't like the harsh lights and snow is blinding. I'd rather the world cloaked in night if it weren't that we'd all freeze. Still, my personal preferences aside, just once a strong good-evil tale with light being totally fucking evil and everyone knowing from the start, and dark being totally fucking good and everyone knowing from the start. (There's been plenty of "Surprise! Your god's totally a wanker!")
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:04 pm UTC

Depends on the culture. For instance, the term "white devil" is not just a saying in Africa. The color of evil in Africa is traditionally white, whereas black is the color of good or normal.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

Doesn't Lucifer mean "the Light Bringer"?

Also, I'm sure I've seen more than a few bad guys with totally spotless whit suits. And they tend to own fluffy white cats.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:27 pm UTC

@Fossa
Sometimes I wonder whether living in a not such advanced country as mine is better. That is, we had a fire in dorm houses once, and whole top floor was covered with foam and water and electricity was cut off for 2 top floors. Noone chased poor students on the street. We just kept living like that for a month. Storing food in friends' fridges, sitting at friends' PCs and going to sleep early with no inet-nights. I got it quite worse, since the only guy who had our room's key was absent and not answering mobile, and our dorm supervisor didn't want to hear anything, so I slept in the storeroom for a couple of days. Shhh-sh, don't tell anyone! (Added on the 'things everyone has to do at least once' as item #52358)
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:57 pm UTC

Colour association, eh? White is symbolic of good because it is the colour of purity. Driven snow, fluffy bunnies and all that. Black is associated with evil because black is darkness, and in dark your eyes fail you. Anything could happen in darkness without you seeing it, so there's an inherent distrust with darkness. Distrust leads to Fear. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Suffering leads to outrageous, incessant franchising.

Also there's the rotting corpse element of blackness. It's the adopted colour of cancerous organs everywhere.

So black is evil and white is pure of heart, like red is warmth and blue is pneumonia, green is envy and brown is old people clothes.

Ever see a Mediterranean holiday destination adavertisement that doesn't rely on orange/red hues? Or an Irish postcard that wasn't green? Associations are a strong thing, which is why all goths go for the same shade of black as each other... Individual, in a herd-like manner.

Interestingly off-topic; did you know why McDonald's golden arches are on a red background? The colour combination of red and yellow triggers a hunger response in your mental-cranio-neurologogojical-citation-requiring subconscious
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

Did you know that mentioning McDonald's makes me want a double cheeseburger?

I know! It works every time!

SteveM17

Postby SteveM17 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

Rant? Don't mind if I do.
I hate people who order coffee in the pub when I'm waiting to get served a proper drink. OK, if someone's driving or whatever I can understand them asking for coffee, but why does it have to some fancy shit with foam and sprinkles and God knows whatever else? Those big steam spewing machines take forever! Or seem to if you're thirsty for a beer after a day at work. Why do they take so long?

I also hate the fact that I'm not rich. The world DOES owe me a living, dammit!
[url]http://moody-by-name.blogspot.com/[/url]

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:30 pm UTC

SteveM17 wrote:Rant? Don't mind if I do.
I hate people who order coffee in the pub when I'm waiting to get served a proper drink. OK, if someone's driving or whatever I can understand them asking for coffee, but why does it have to some fancy shit with foam and sprinkles and God knows whatever else? Those big steam spewing machines take forever! Or seem to if you're thirsty for a beer after a day at work. Why do they take so long?

I also hate the fact that I'm not rich. The world DOES owe me a living, dammit!

i agree... anything that stops you passing out faster is a bad idea.

At least, that's how this came across to me.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

Goddamn it do I hate it when people go into establishments that serve drinks and ask for a specific drink!

Moobly

Postby Moobly » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

SteveM17 wrote:Rant? Don't mind if I do.

Might I offer that if you're looking for a proper drink, perhaps you should try to find a proper pub. I think it may be a good life rule that if the barman knows how to make a low-foam, half-caff, double chocolate latte, and if there's a sprinkle shaker on the bar, it's not the place I'd be going for a pint after work. But that's me. I might be weird.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -Aldous Huxley

Return to “General”