Geekdar?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NMcCoy

Geekdar?

Postby NMcCoy » Sat May 17, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

I'm not a religious/spiritual person, but there's this weirdness that I have a hard time explaining, except perhaps as unconscious body language or pheromones or something. I consider myself unquestionably a geek, and within at most two minutes of talking to someone I can sense (really powerfully, in some cases) this sort of "geek energy" that they give off, if they're a kindred spirit. For the most part, it only works in person - I can get a hunch that someone has the geek nature in an online conversation, but there isn't that geek-resonance feeling that I get in person. It's really pretty cool - once I sense it in someone, I can casually make xkcd jokes even if it's never been mentioned in the conversation because I know they'll get them, and I haven't yet been wrong about it. I've mentioned this experience to a couple different fellow geeks, saying "you know how Jedi can sense each other?", and they both enthusiastically replied that they knew exactly the sort of sensation I was talking about, so it's not just a personal delusion on my part. When I go to the local annual anime convention, I can feel the same sort of energy permeating the whole place, albeit more weakly than in a one-on-one conversation with a fellow high-intensity geek.

Is there anyone else here who does (or doesn't) have a sense that responds to the inner geek-soul in others? What are your thoughts on it?

Delalyra

Re: Geekdar?

Postby Delalyra » Sat May 17, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

I desperately wish I had this. It would make finding nerdy friends so much easier.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Sun May 18, 2008 1:51 am UTC

I love my geekdar. It works much better than my gaydar or jewdar, and I have a lot of friends that are gay or Jewish. I guess it helps to be one to find one.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun May 18, 2008 1:56 am UTC

I would say I had this Geekdar, but the most recent time I've met new people and gotten the sense that they were nerds was when one of them was dressed as Link (It was a costume party, not LARPing or whatever you kids call it these days).
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun May 18, 2008 2:07 am UTC

I think we should create a REAL geekdar. Post plans on the interwobs on how to make one.

The geekdar in question should be about the size of a USB stick (possibly as a basic model. Make a full size radar style one with blips for locating fellow geeks) that emits a beeping sound that increases in frequency when in close proximity to another geekdar.

How cool would that be?

This way, for a small price, geeks could locate each other without difficulty.

Of course an on-off switch would be vital, because when you meet up with your fellow geeks, you would just hear a chorus of BEEPBEEPBEEPBEPBEPEBEPBEEPEBEPBEEPEEPEIPEIPEIPEBEBPEBPPEIEEPEP and you would go insane.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun May 18, 2008 2:16 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:I think we should create a REAL geekdar. Post plans on the interwobs on how to make one.

The geekdar in question should be about the size of a USB stick (possibly as a basic model. Make a full size radar style one with blips for locating fellow geeks) that emits a beeping sound that increases in frequency when in close proximity to another geekdar.

How cool would that be?

Of course an on-off switch would be vital, because when you meet up with your fellow geeks, you would just hear a chorus of BEEPBEEPBEEPBEPBEPEBEPBEEPEBEPBEEPEEPEIPEIPEIPEBEBPEBPPEIEEPEP and you would go insane.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/illuminated/a090/
I desperately want one.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun May 18, 2008 2:42 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:I think we should create a REAL geekdar. Post plans on the interwobs on how to make one.

How cool would that be?

I desperately want one.

Like that, only cheaper, and across the UNIVERSE!
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sun May 18, 2008 3:22 am UTC

lysandra wrote:I love my geekdar. It works much better than my gaydar or jewdar, and I have a lot of friends that are gay or Jewish. I guess it helps to be one to find one.

All us Jews are connected in a large telepathic network that lets us know when another one is around. It's kind of like the Time Lords. We may be related, in fact.

But yeah, I have pretty damn good geekdar. Gaydar, not so much.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sun May 18, 2008 3:24 am UTC

Delalyra wrote:I desperately wish I had this. It would make finding nerdy friends so much easier.

I think you just need to stop being so reliant on passive scans and switch to active geekdar. Regularly ping your surroundings by saying/displaying various geekish things and then watch for reactions.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Sun May 18, 2008 4:09 am UTC

The people who won't make full eye contact me, get awkward when complimented by girls, and always have a novel, calculator, or laptop at hand are more often than not geeks.

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Mon May 19, 2008 3:53 am UTC

I know exactly what you're talking about! After a few minutes of conversation, regardless of topic, I can usually tell what kind of nerd they are as well (gamer, anime, D&D, bookworm, etc...) Anyone else have that ability?
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

longs

Postby longs » Tue May 20, 2008 6:52 am UTC

I can pretty much always tell within less than a minute when I am talking to a certain type defined by the Myers-Briggs (the NTs especially the INTJs, my own type). This is really fascinating stuff to me, but should seem less surprising once you consider the great amount of information a person can transmit non-verbally. I've even heard some statistic thrown around that 90% or 98% of communication when you first meet someone is non-verbal. stockpot named a few; I'm sure there are dozens....:

Manner of dress (dark-framed glasses, absence of makeup, non-slutty, disgusting trendy clothes); manner of speech, i.e. when it's precise, unaccented, and thoughtful; use of qualifiers in speech (basically, not quite, et cetera, probably, &c); facial expressions, eye contact...there are so many things one can (cautiously) infer in seconds, without even having to observe behaviors.

My sciency senses tell me that this isn't anything mystical or relating to 'energy', and that geekdar is unnecessary if you're simply a very aware and observant person, one who has a natural intuition for how humans work and for interpreting subtleties; and it certainly helps to have explicitly described specific psychic phenomena to watch for.

I think these topics are studied in Neuro-Linguistic Programming, and in that Malcolm Gladwell book, Blink.
the participle.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Tue May 20, 2008 8:12 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:

How cool would that be?

I desperately want one.

I have one. It should be noted that the shirts run a bit small (GRR for large men like me) and when they're tight fitting are actually rather uncomfortable because you have this fabric-lined cable pulled across your chest. They are, however, hella cute.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Return to “General”