Most surreal thing you've ever seen...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quadropus

Most surreal thing you've ever seen...

Postby Quadropus » Sun May 18, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

So the title says it all really.

Myself, I have seen a man wearing a full Santa outfit out side a bar getting arrested. Now this might be expected around christmas time as you get the odd Santa working having ghastly little children sitting on his knee at the mall and what-not. But this was a few weeks ago, so at the end of May.
I was driving past at the time which I think made it all better as I just got this few second glimpse of this inane event...

There are probably a fair few odd and surreal things I've seen, but this one jumps to mind as it happened recently.

So what weird, strange and just out-right odd things have you seen?

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Clumpy

Re: Most surreal thing you've ever seen...

Postby Clumpy » Sun May 18, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

I saw a young child peeing on a dead rat in the Phillipines.

I once saw a salsa packet from Taco Bell smashed out on the pavement. The printing said "The feeling is mutual."

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sun May 18, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

Most surreal that comes to mind: A dirty old truck driving down the freeway on a hot summer day with a massive hand strapped down in the back. Seriously, from wrist to fingers that thing had to be like six feet long. I can't imagine what it was made of. The hand was also in a reverent position, pointed at the sky. I felt like it was maybe a sign... Of what I don't know.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Mat

Postby Mat » Sun May 18, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

My friend was diaboloing one time, and foolishly stood too close to a tree while attempting a crazy trick that involved throwing everything up really high. So the diabolo got stuck really high up and we're standing around, wondering how we're going to get it down, when this guy comes out of nowhere, climbs up the tree and retrieves the diabolo. Mission accomplished, he quickly explains that he's a rock climber and walks off again.

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Sun May 18, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

During a bout of fever-related hallucinations I spent over an hour under the impression that there were three cows standing around my bed looking at me. That was truly surreal, and ever since then I have this "23" thing going on where cows seem to follow me; I just seem to see them everywhere.
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Sun May 18, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

A couple years ago, I was riding with my sister on the highway, and we saw an SUV with an open back end filled with what we figured to be camping supplies parked in the middle of the median with around eight guys in their early-to-mid-20s playing volleyball. In the middle of the highway.
Sure, it was a big median, but still.
We immediately decided that that moment never happened.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Mon May 19, 2008 12:51 am UTC

I once found myself sitting in a temporary building, in the middle of an Iranian town that had been completely flattened by an earthquake several years previously, reading the original Brokeback Mountain short story. It doesn't sound like that much, I suppose, but for many reasons that sticks with me as one of the most surreal moments of my life.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Mon May 19, 2008 12:54 am UTC

I once saw this picture with clocks draped over the landscape in it.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon May 19, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

Roland Lockheart wrote:During a bout of fever-related hallucinations I spent over an hour under the impression that there were three cows standing around my bed looking at me. That was truly surreal, and ever since then I have this "23" thing going on where cows seem to follow me; I just seem to see them everywhere.

Hey, your Rocket Sheep can take care of them for you.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Mon May 19, 2008 2:29 pm UTC

Fat Tony wrote:Sure, it was a big median, but still.
The M62 has a farm between its two carriageways.

The most surreal sight I can remember was a man in a giant penis suit (complete with hairs) on the high street, raising awareness for prostate cancer.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

HedgehogsAreFunneh

Postby HedgehogsAreFunneh » Mon May 19, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

A couple months ago, I was boiling milk for some reason, and a heart shaped bubble appeared. I kind of smiled snd went about my business.
Since then, I've seen a heart shape at least once a week, in variousa things, including (but not limited too) a juice stain on the sidewalk, a puddle of spilt water, athe saran-wrap that was covering a nanimo bar, and a drop of blood (I woke up with a nosebleed, ran to the bathroom, and leaned over the sink while I reached for toilet paper, and yeah.)
Also, I saw a laughing-mouth skull in the droplets of rain on my mom's windshield, a couple days ago. It's kind of creepy and kind of awesome.
I was thinking of either meditating or napping, but the way I do it, there's not much difference except in the explanation to the rest of my family.

"If anyone finds the plot of this book, tell it I love it very much and want it to come home."

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Mon May 19, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
Roland Lockheart wrote:During a bout of fever-related hallucinations I spent over an hour under the impression that there were three cows standing around my bed looking at me. That was truly surreal, and ever since then I have this "23" thing going on where cows seem to follow me; I just seem to see them everywhere.

Hey, your Rocket Sheep can take care of them for you.

Fuzz (my rocket sheep) has become my imaginary solution to imaginary problems XD
-Winston Churchill

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Mon May 19, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Mon May 19, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

A man in a wedding dress wandering through the mud looking for his "bridesmaid" in the campsite at T in the Park last year.
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

ducknerd

Postby ducknerd » Mon May 19, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

Not something I saw exactly, but certainly a surreal moment.

At one point for various reasons, I was antiquing with my aunt. This was a very stereotypical antique store with little mock displays, well-packed merchandise, etc. In one corner, there was a 30-something DJ doing a promotional for some upcoming auction, playing various well-known songs. He and I were probably the only people in the store under 50. So he's playing whatever he can to appease these people, and I guess he got tired of it or ran out of songs, because then he put on Bloodhound Gang. There is no way I can accurately describe what it feels like to be looking at an old Cub Scout Handbook and the original Slinky in a little mock soda shop (complete with glittery stools) with that music going: "You and me, baby, ain't nothin' but mammals/So let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel". That, my friend, is what we call cognitive dissonance.
17/Male/Hetero/Euromutt

Leonard, Part 5

Postby Leonard, Part 5 » Mon May 19, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

Once, while walking in the woods late one fall evening, a friend and I saw nearly 100 well dressed teenagers walk silently by in the opposite direction. The only words heard from the slow moving mob during the entire duration of their passing was "you're going the wrong way". We followed their backtrail for a few miles and never saw any reason for their having been out there (no smoldering campfire, no empty beers).
http://jehovah.teaches-yoga.com - Mysteries of the Worm (and Such): I have harnessed the shadows that stride from world to world to sow death and madness.

micco

Postby micco » Mon May 19, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

A while ago, when I was just about to fall asleep, I had this hallucination of a mouse stealing the powerlight of my dvd-player. Then the roof and walls started melting. It was awesome.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon May 19, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

ducknerd wrote:That, my friend, is what we call cognitive dissonance.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to cause you to experience Cognitive Dissonance. Because you are quite literally wrong, as evidenced by the Wikipedia definition of Cognitive Dissonance.

"Cognitive dissonance is a psychological state that describes the uncomfortable feeling when a person begins to understand that something the person believes to be true is, in fact, not true"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Yes, I honestly do go around correcting people when they use that term incorrectly. Because in correcting them, I cause them to experience it.
(note the user name)

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Tue May 20, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Driving down the highway I looked into the passenger seat of the car next to me and noticed the person sitting there was dressed as a space alien with a rubber (or foam) space alien head over their own head.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue May 20, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Walking from one terminal of Logan airport to another one evening, I came across a long hallway, which had walls entirely of glass, strips of illumination from overhead lighting in completely regular intervals, and identical white rocking chairs evenly spaced along one side. It felt like being in some sort of art for a moment there.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Tue May 20, 2008 2:24 am UTC

segmentation fault wrote:this.

That certainly was surreal. It kinda reminded me of salad fingers.
-Winston Churchill

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Tue May 20, 2008 2:37 am UTC

CogDissident wrote:as evidenced by

:lol:

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Tue May 20, 2008 6:48 am UTC

Hard to pick and choose my favorites, but I seem to be able to see extremely detailed picures in a variety of styles where others only see random patterns. It mostly occurs with clouds, linolium, trees, and sometimes shower grime.
When I say detailed I mean detailed, not "oh thats shapped like a ducky!" more "dont you see that giant face, with those eyes in the sky?
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

idont_know12

Postby idont_know12 » Tue May 20, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:
CogDissident wrote:as evidenced by

:lol:

What?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 20, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

Ronald McDonald waiting for a bus. About a block and a half away, two guys who presumably work for Kroger as they were wearing the uniform... (Kroger being a grocery store chain)... pushing a giant cart. Something around this scale. The Kroger was about four blocks away, and they were heading in a perpendicular direction.

No clue what was going on in either case. Not sure I want to know. This wasn't around Halloween, either.

The other thing was driving around aimlessly, stopping a light waiting to turn left, glancing over and seeing... the world's saddest birthday clown. Dude had to have just gotten off a job, as he'd removed most of the makeup, was still wearing the nose, driving a vehicle with advertisements for the service and looking as though the only thing he had to look forward to was the bottle of cheap whiskey at home.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue May 20, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The other thing was driving around aimlessly, stopping a light waiting to turn left, glancing over and seeing... the world's saddest birthday clown. Dude had to have just gotten off a job, as he'd removed most of the makeup, was still wearing the nose, driving a vehicle with advertisements for the service and looking as though the only thing he had to look forward to was the bottle of cheap whiskey at home.

Are you sure it wasn't a very clever visual joke and the "depressed clown" schtick wasn't the gag itself? He was probably laughing in glee inside.

Because if he wasn't... *shakes fist*
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 20, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

I say again.. birthday clown.

I cannot possibly see how the poor guy could be happy.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Tue May 20, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

Did he also do Bar Mitzvahs?

He could probably be happy if he did Bar Mitzvahs.
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Tue May 20, 2008 3:49 pm UTC

You know that clowning is a profession with some of the highest suicide rates?

I have no idea if "clowning" is a real word in this context

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Tue May 20, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Neuman wrote:Did he also do Bar Mitzvahs?

He could probably be happy if he did Bar Mitzvahs.

Why, better tips?
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue May 20, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

I once saw one of my friends jump from a 3 story building window. Then saw him running away. I never found out how.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue May 20, 2008 5:05 pm UTC

Roland Lockheart wrote:Fuzz (my rocket sheep) has become my imaginary solution to imaginary problems XD

I thought the only solution to imaginary problems was imaginary numbers.
PRG

An important message for you:

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Tue May 20, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:Hard to pick and choose my favorites, but I seem to be able to see extremely detailed picures in a variety of styles where others only see random patterns. It mostly occurs with clouds, linolium, trees, and sometimes shower grime.

Knockdown wall texturing.
多么现在棕色母牛?

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue May 20, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

Quadropus wrote:I have no idea if "clowning" is a real word in this context

It is.

Frello

Postby Frello » Tue May 20, 2008 8:14 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The other thing was driving around aimlessly, stopping a light waiting to turn left, glancing over and seeing... the world's saddest birthday clown. Dude had to have just gotten off a job, as he'd removed most of the makeup, was still wearing the nose, driving a vehicle with advertisements for the service and looking as though the only thing he had to look forward to was the bottle of cheap whiskey at home.

I guess something had suddenly dawned on him.

I actually can't come up with any surreal experience right now. Maybe I haven't had one ever? Kinda sad.

hipp5

Postby hipp5 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

ducknerd wrote:At one point for various reasons, I was antiquing with my aunt.

When I first read that I thought you were antiquing as in the prank where you throw a handful of flour in someone's face while they're sleeping. It made me think your aunt was really cool.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Wed May 21, 2008 2:06 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:
Babamthegrunt wrote:Hard to pick and choose my favorites, but I seem to be able to see extremely detailed picures in a variety of styles where others only see random patterns. It mostly occurs with clouds, linolium, trees, and sometimes shower grime.

Knockdown wall texturing.

I see dragons, flying. One is large, and the others are small; like children.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 am UTC

I put that there as an example of what knockdown wall texturing was, but, yeah, I see the dragon.
多么现在棕色母牛?

idont_know12

Postby idont_know12 » Wed May 21, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

I was working at Valleyfair a few summers ago, near the entrance (manning the Apple Cart). Out of nowhere, Ronald McDonald walks into the park. Definitely spooky.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Wed May 21, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

Public transit provides some interesting sights.

Younger guy having a full and involved conversation with... no one. He was gesturing and pausing to listen to someone but there was no body there and he wasn't using a cell phone/wearing a headset.

Older lady talking about how she used to work for the DOD to classify terrorists and how the Maloofs (they own the Sacramento Kings) broke into her house.

Train was stuck at a stop for a while, some middle aged guy gets on reeking of alcohol. He sits down next to the door, pulls out a cigarette and a lighter, puts the cigarette in his mouth and is about to light it when he realizes where he is. The guy stands up, opens the door and wanders off... he never did get back on the train.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Return to “General”