ITT: We make xkcd slightly worse.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Re: ITT: We make xkcd slightly worse.

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:53 am UTC

In light of current events, I decided to have a try at this whole XKCDSW thing.

Spoiler:
My pol Emad does this all the teme. "Hey, mon, which way to the airpart?"

Inspired by the Apple iPad and 148, and an IRC friend, schauerlich, who pretty much came up with the idea himself.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

joshz

Postby joshz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:44 am UTC

The guy on the right is possibly hiding under a rock if he thinks the iPod is new.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

joshz wrote:The guy on the right is possibly hiding under a rock if he thinks the iPod is new.

No, he could simply be thinking of a new model of the iPod.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 pm UTC

Yeah, I could easily imagine having a conversation that starts with, "Hey, did you see the new iPod?"
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:33 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Yeah, I could easily imagine having a conversation that starts with, "Hey, did you see the new iPod?"

Next time I have that conversation I expect the response will be " No, for it is microscopic in size and therefore invisible to the human eye.", My friends talk weirdly.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

http://www.dilbert.com/blog/entry/ipad/

O_O

Edit: please don't yell at me for linking to the dilbert blog, I was following a link to the site from another topic...

Also had you heard about the iPad? Cuz maybe I live under a rock, too, but I sure hadn't...
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

wait nevermind ITT we discuss iThings.

joshz

Postby joshz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:59 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
joshz wrote:The guy on the right is possibly hiding under a rock if he thinks the iPod is new.

No, he could simply be thinking of a new model of the iPod.
Ah, OK. Serves me right for posting before I wake up.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

operator[] wrote:I'm not sure if attachments still disappear, but it's better to be on the safe side.

I don't think they do... they disappeared at the same time that the avatars did, and I think the two were related. But the avatars-disappearing thing has happened once before, and could happen again in the future, so it's entirely possible that attachments could start disappearing again at some point. But not exceptionally likely, and probably not any time soon.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

FCN

Postby FCN » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:34 pm UTC

Sweet, I have a style now! Sure, it's a style of alt linking, but that's a start.

Spoiler:
604 (alt hosting)
giraffe.png
Could we have some time alone?
Spoiler:
LuNatic wrote:
Dear FCN,
You are:
a) Terrible, but in an awesome way.
or
b) Awesome, but in a terrible way.
I'm having difficulty deciding which.

abitha

Postby abitha » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:39 am UTC

FCN wrote:Sweet, I have a style now! Sure, it's a style of alt linking, but that's a start.

Spoiler:
604 (alt hosting)
giraffe.png

Awful, yet hilarious.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

operator[]

Postby operator[] » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:21 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
operator[] wrote:I'm not sure if attachments still disappear, but it's better to be on the safe side.

I don't think they do... they disappeared at the same time that the avatars did, and I think the two were related.
I don't really think so either, but I vaguely remember (hopefully incorrectly) that some attachments and avatars were disappearing even after the problem was fixed. It's more of a small safety precaution, not anything I expect to have much effect.

joshz

Postby joshz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

Speaking of avatars, you need to reupload yours, operator[]. It's broken for me.

operator[]

Postby operator[] » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

joshz wrote:Speaking of avatars, you need to reupload yours, operator[]. It's broken for me.
Reuploaded. I put off doing it before due to laziness.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:10 pm UTC

I've not yet fixed mine as a monument to the past tragedy.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:02 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I've not yet fixed mine as a monument to the past tragedy.

I wish I had such a rational reason to be that lazy.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:50 pm UTC

I've gotta go pick one again.

*and done.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:51 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/684
we_buy_it.png
The difficulty of getting non-iTunes-store ringtones on my iPhone influenced this feeling.

http://xkcd.com/695 (current)
spirit.png
"Also I'll miss my Martian friends!"
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:35 pm UTC

chridd wrote:The difficulty of getting non-iTunes-store ringtones on my iPhone influenced this feeling.

Difficult? I just SSH'd into the proper directory and stuck the file there. Now I have a nice PD ringtone.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

joshz

Postby joshz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:32 pm UTC

TheChewanater wrote:
chridd wrote:The difficulty of getting non-iTunes-store ringtones on my iPhone influenced this feeling.

Difficult? I just SSH'd into the proper directory and stuck the file there. Now I have a nice PD ringtone.
Why'd you go to that length? I just converted the section I wanted using Audacity and opened it in iTunes.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

joshz wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:

Why'd you go to that length? I just converted the section I wanted using Audacity and opened it in iTunes.

I don't have iTunes (or Mac OS / WC) and I don't feel like installing some cheap imitation of it just to use once.
ImageImage
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:08 pm UTC

I didn't make these, so I'm not putting them up here like they were mine. I still think that people reading this thread might want to see them*, so I'll give you links to them. Both links lead to messages in the thread for the Spirit comic:

First one. I think it's quite clever.
Second one. It is good for those who want a happier ending for the comic.

* And not nearly everyone reads the comic threads, so many will miss them.

joshz

Postby joshz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

TheChewanater wrote:
joshz wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:

I don't have iTunes (or Mac OS / WC) and I don't feel like installing some cheap imitation of it just to use once.
Then how do you sync with an iPhone?

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

joshz wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:

It's difficult compared to my old phone, where you could choose any sound file it could play as a ringtone right from the music player. And even if it's not that difficult, it does seem like they don't really want you to. (Also, I wrote the file comment late at night.)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:15 am UTC

joshz wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:
joshz wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:

I don't.
ImageImage

joshz

Postby joshz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:25 am UTC

TheChewanater wrote:
joshz wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:
joshz wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:
I don't.
Then what's the point of making iPhone-compatible ringtones? (Also don't leave so much gorram space between quote tags; it's annoying.)

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:42 am UTC

joshz wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:
joshz wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:
joshz wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:
I don't.
Then what's the point of making iPhone-compatible ringtones? (Also don't leave so much gorram space between quote tags; it's annoying.)

It's jailbroken. I can SSH into it and manually install ringtones, wallpaper, etc. Best of all, I can use it to transfer files.
ImageImage

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:53 am UTC

Hey, someone used my idea for the infinite desert guy combined with Spirit. Cool.

joshz

Postby joshz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:31 am UTC

But iTunes would make doing that so much easier, not to mention the fact that if you don't use iTunes, you won't see software updates for your phone.
I just don't see the point of not using iTunes if you have an iPhone. It makes it unnecessarily complicated.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:56 am UTC

ITT we discuss the merits of which software to use to transfer files to portable devices.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

My edit of Spirit:

Spoiler'd for big.
Spoiler:
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

guyy

Postby guyy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

As soon as this awful joke appeared in my head, I knew it must inevitably invade the Internet:

Spoiler:
Meter.jpg
It's even more bizarre if you take it literally.

[259]

marsman57

Postby marsman57 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:03 pm UTC

Just a reminder, I have a decent amount on this webpage. Here is my latest one below.

http://www.tehposse.org/brandon/mkcd/

Alt: Alt: I love you. // I love you more. // Yeah, you do love me more.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

Upsilon wrote:My edit of Spirit:

Spoiler'd for big.
Spoiler:
... that somehow made it more depressing.

Good job.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:21 am UTC

First try - thought I'd at least give it a go since I read these so often...Be gentle?

Spoiler:
Alt Text: On the bright side, she takes after her father; God rest his soul
Alt Alt Text: Huh, who would've thought two XKCD fans would ever form babby?
Last edited by SW15243 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:57 am UTC

Very nice. :)
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Caligari_87

Postby Caligari_87 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

Hope this makes the cut :)