ITT: We make xkcd slightly worse.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Tomlidich the second

Re: ITT: We make xkcd slightly worse.

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon May 05, 2014 3:30 pm UTC

teelo wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:Xkcd phone + TOO MANY

Fixed:

*applauds*

Who

Postby Who » Tue May 06, 2014 4:03 am UTC

Various variations on 1356 Orbital mechanics:
Orbital Mechanics Orbiter.png
And you thought NASA was strictly Orbiter out of brand loyalty.

Orbital_Mechanics NASA.png
As one would expect, doing rocket science makes you better at rocket science.

OrbitalMechanicsSunNova.png
Nothing teaches you Orbital Mechanics like living in space.

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue May 06, 2014 11:31 am UTC

Took high school physics
Got physics degree
Actual job at NASA
Singularity

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue May 06, 2014 6:00 pm UTC

Took high school physics
Got physics degree
Actual job at NASA
Fell into a vat of quantum-goo and became Physics Man

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Tue May 06, 2014 7:56 pm UTC

I'm past my bedtime and have to get up early tomorrow so I'll do this text-only too:

Took high school physics
Got physics degree
Actual job at NASA
Bitten by a radioactive Carl Sagan

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue May 06, 2014 7:58 pm UTC

Ubik wrote:I'm past my bedtime and have to get up early tomorrow so I'll do this text-only too:

Took high school physics
Got physics degree
Actual job at NASA
Bitten by a radioactive Carl Sagan

Damn. I should have thought of that.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed May 07, 2014 5:26 am UTC

I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed May 07, 2014 9:15 pm UTC

Neat.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed May 07, 2014 11:14 pm UTC

Too lazy to photoshop it. Insert that picture changed to read "Teelo" here.

Burkitt

Postby Burkitt » Sun May 11, 2014 7:06 pm UTC

Collect the full set of transportation cards in packets of Pork Loops, Mice Krispies, and Frosted Baconflakes!
Last edited by Burkitt on Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun May 11, 2014 9:33 pm UTC

Burkitt wrote:Collect the full set of transportation cards in packets of Pork Loops, Mice Krispies, and Frosted Baconflakes!

Should only use the same linguistic guidelines as the UpGoer comic.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 12, 2014 3:39 am UTC

Hello, everyone. At one point in the past I wanted to fully ketchup this entire thread. While I was willing, because of all the images, it just wasn't something I could do easily and...still haven't. I decided I'm just going for it, so here's one with a cat:

Spoiler:
cat_proximity-sw.png
"You're a real jerk."

Obvious note: Nothing against furries, it's for a joke. It's also pronounced like Pinocchio saying "I'm a real boy!"

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon May 12, 2014 11:12 am UTC

Funny. :)

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:23 am UTC

azule wrote:Obvious note: Nothing against furries, it's for a joke.

"I'm not racist, but…"

Your intention doesn't really matter. The joke is based on the premise that being a furry is bad. Without that, there's no joke. It's just an offensive portrayal of people with a certain fetish.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

dzamie

Postby dzamie » Mon May 12, 2014 2:43 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Your intention doesn't really matter. The joke is based on the premise that being a furry is bad. Without that, there's no joke. It's just an offensive portrayal of people with a certain fetish.

Obligatory "I'm a furry and..."
there are very few jokes which function without offending anyone. I found this funny, because, while being a furry isn't bad, per se, it's certainly not normal. Also, I think the joke is best when you imagine the intersection of excitement and need for a mental checkup to occur when you are in physical contact with the suit, and the right edge of the graph is when you are in the suit with them.

Code: Select all

:Clrhome
:while 1
:Output(randInt(1,8),randInt(1,16),randInt(0,9))
:Output(randInt(1,8),randInt(1,16)," ")
:End

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon May 12, 2014 3:50 pm UTC

I think it's worth noting that Randall's not exactly been unclear in the past about the fact that people being dicks to furries annoys him.

Also, need for mental checkup? Yay for trivialising mental health as well. And the alt text? :roll:
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 12, 2014 5:06 pm UTC

"Kicking Down" is a great way of describing humor in bad form, and "Kicking Up" describes the opposite.

Is the source of the humor coming from a situation wherein someone representing the everyperson is making a wry comment at the expense of someone representing the outsider culture?

If yes - you're probably Kicking Down and you're probably an asshole.

Is the source of the humor coming from a situation wherein someone from the outsider culture is pointing out an absurdity in the everyperson's situation?

If yes - you're probably Kicking Up and you're ... well, you're probably an asshole, but only because everyone is probably an asshole. Unlike me. I know I'm an asshole.

Comedy is hard, and figuring out what the joke is can also be hard. And the joke here seems to be "Being near furries - you're either crazy or they're driving you crazy, amirite?"

Just thinking of myself, children would be way, way more appropriate for that. Because children are great in small doses, but after a while I have to give them back to those that spawned them or I'm going to go a little nuts.

I'd suggest Awkwardness as the second one, but that also applies to anyone, what with close talking and all.

Then again, you'd be able to easily add on to the title text and make it not a joke about furries, but about someone who doesn't understand social norms who just happens to be a furry via a

"You're a real jerk."
"What, because I'm a furry?"
"YOU'RE THREE INCHES FROM MY FACE WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?"

sort of thing.

Comedy's hard. Azule failed.

dzamie wrote:there are very few jokes which function without offending anyone. I found this funny, because, while being a furry isn't bad, per se, it's certainly not normal. Also, I think the joke is best when you imagine the intersection of excitement and need for a mental checkup to occur when you are in physical contact with the suit, and the right edge of the graph is when you are in the suit with them.

I can agree to that.

What I can't agree is that because someone will be offended by anything at all, that everything is acceptable and fair game. Here, this applies to the kicking direction thing I rambled about earlier, but read section 3 of this. Or, read the whole thing. It's good. Patton's a neat dude. And... yes, he's specifically talking about Rape Jokes there, but the core of it applies here too -

You can and should make fun of anything subject. You can and should make sure you're not kicking someone who's down. "... think twice about who is the target of the punchline, and make sure it isn’t the victim."

Keeping the people the same - generic everyperson and generic everyfurry - you can change the data being graphed to make a joke that's not problematic to most furries nor problematic to most non-fur people.

The problem isn't that it's a joke about furries, the problem is that it's a joke at the expense of furries.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Mon May 12, 2014 6:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Then again, you'd be able to easily add on to the title text and make it not a joke about furries, but about someone who doesn't understand social norms who just happens to be a furry via a

"You're a real jerk."

sort of thing.

Unfortunately, this attempt at subversion also reads as a "lol minorities always see prejudice when it isn't there" joke, which are used to dismiss legitimate complaints of discrimination. It's hard to take a "kicking down" joke and subvert it into something worthwhile.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 12, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

Mm..good point.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon May 12, 2014 11:57 pm UTC

dzamie wrote:there are very few jokes which function without offending anyone.

Solution: post jokes that offend all demographics simultaneously.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue May 13, 2014 7:40 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:Funny. :)
Thanks! Sometimes I consider something to be on the side of humor that might just be weird and also not funny.

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
azule wrote:Obvious note: Nothing against furries, it's for a joke.

"I'm not racist, but…"

Your intention doesn't really matter. The joke is based on the premise that being a furry is bad. Without that, there's no joke. It's just an offensive portrayal of people with a certain fetish.
Oh boy. I caused a stink.

The joke is based on the reality that someone dressed up as a cat isn't a cat, and that someone that can't tell the difference probably needs a checkup. My first choice was going to be "needs glasses" but I didn't think that even the worst vision would cause that confusion.

I saw the Furry Safethread right before entering here, so I was aware of the possible sensitivity to this. The comic doesn't assume them to be bad, nor does it require it. Sorry that it doesn't exclude it, but I can't prevent misinterpretation.

dzamie, thanks for your help. I'm not sure what you mean about the right side of the graph and being in the suit with them. I didn't think of that, nor do I know what it would infer.

eSOANEM, first, I forgot to credit that comic you site as being the source of my furry, thanks. More importantly, I hope you weren't saying I was being a dick. The alt text refers to the act of jerking someone around. The non-furry thought it was a cat and felt jerked around when it turned out to be a furry. I'm not using the definition that also means "dick". Sorry for the confusion.

ST wrote:"You're a real jerk."
Nice extension, funny. But I'd never add that second line.

The joke does require that furry be an Outside culture, but the person at the center of the joke is the nonfurry because what is what should be obvious. I'm part of an "outside" culture, too, so I'm not trying to kick anyone down. The main reason for the comic was mainly the Pinocchio reading (which I thought of while not hating on furries) and thought how well it would work inside the xkcd comic. Presenting controversial things without backlash is hard, ST, I don't think comedy is that hard as long as I'm not worried about everyone laughing. I'd be a professional comedian if that were my goal. ^_^

teelo, funny point, but you know that wouldn't work either. hah.

I promise my next sw will be less controversial, just to show good faith, but I can't promise never to run into trouble again.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue May 13, 2014 12:40 pm UTC

1367:
installing1367SW.PNG
Alt: This might be why HR wants to see me.

Alt-alt: I found the best and most original words to describe my feelings for you, but I lack the courage to say them aloud.

Take your pick of alt-texts, funny/awkward, or painfully sad.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 14, 2014 8:06 am UTC

Funny one (with second alt)! I was wondering what was going on when I saw that it was blank, until I scrolled down.

On the previous issue:
Some non-rushed by outsider forces thoughts here. I'm seeing how when viewing the comic, the graph comes first and seems to be the important part. But, as with the original xkcd, this is secondary to the humor and explains the "comic" below, the part with the dialogue. If you viewed the comic top down, I can see now how it might seem harsh. Being fans of xkcd and this thread in particular (which should have plenty of sw's for this comic) I assumed everyone would view it in the "correct" order.

If that wasn't the issue at all...okay.

I didn't respond to the mental health issue...but it's not trivial. I think even the most "sane" person has issues of a mental nature. And those with it bad may need serious help. But getting checked out is probably not a bad idea, no matter what the catalyst was. I don't think here is the place to prolong a discussion on either that or furridom. I'm willing to be lured into another thread to further expound on the details. ;)

My last "explaining the joke", but the switcheroo was also part of the humor, which does not require either side being "bad".

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed May 14, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

1368:
one_of_the1368sw.PNG
Alt: No, I won't "get over it". They know what they did.
one_of_the1368sw.PNG (28.15 KiB) Viewed 9468 times

Burkitt

Postby Burkitt » Thu May 15, 2014 10:10 am UTC

Bigger pet peeve - the uninformed lackwits they interview.
Last edited by Burkitt on Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dzamie

Postby dzamie » Thu May 15, 2014 7:25 pm UTC

azule wrote:I saw the Furry Safethread right before entering here, so I was aware of the possible sensitivity to this.

Furry Safethread?

azule wrote:dzamie, thanks for your help. I'm not sure what you mean about the right side of the graph and being in the suit with them.

As proximity to furry increases, distance decreases. Therefore, something with a high x-value (right side of the graph) means being extremely close to the furry. Distances very close to zero imply being either in contact with the suit, or, more interestingly, being inside the suit.

Code: Select all

:Clrhome
:while 1
:Output(randInt(1,8),randInt(1,16),randInt(0,9))
:End

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Thu May 15, 2014 7:58 pm UTC

dzamie wrote:
azule wrote:I saw the Furry Safethread right before entering here, so I was aware of the possible sensitivity to this.

Furry Safethread?
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104702
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon May 19, 2014 10:50 am UTC

ITT I make what-if slightly worse:

Suppose a debt collector came to my door. If I scrunch up a dollar bill and throw it at him, he probably won't even feel it. If I tie a wad of dollar bills together and throw it at him, it might be enough to make him say "ow" as it rebounds off him. How many of these wads would I have to throw for it to be fatal, or, how much would it cost me to kill someone?

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon May 19, 2014 2:39 pm UTC

teelo wrote:ITT I make what-if slightly worse:

Suppose a debt collector came to my door. If I scrunch up a dollar bill and throw it at him, he probably won't even feel it. If I tie a wad of dollar bills together and throw it at him, it might be enough to make him say "ow" as it rebounds off him. How many of these wads would I have to throw for it to be fatal, or, how much would it cost me to kill someone?

It would be much more economic to use dollar coins. More bang for your buck, as it were.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon May 19, 2014 10:27 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:

It would be much more economic to use dollar coins. More bang for your buck, as it were.

MAKE IT HAIILLLLL.

roband

Postby roband » Mon May 19, 2014 10:36 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
mathmannix wrote:

MAKE IT HAIILLLLL.

This is a serious problem in UK lap dancing establishments, where the smallest denomination note is £5 (nearly $8.50).

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon May 19, 2014 11:09 pm UTC

roband wrote:
mathmannix wrote:

MAKE IT HAIILLLLL.

This is a serious problem in UK lap dancing establishments, where the smallest denomination note is £5 (nearly $8.50).

i never thought about it that way.

suppose the establishment could offer you paper notes worth exactly £1? and just give them whatever money you want to use at the door.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon May 19, 2014 11:16 pm UTC

roband wrote:
mathmannix wrote:

MAKE IT HAIILLLLL.

suppose the establishment could offer you paper notes worth exactly £1? and just give them whatever money you want to use at the door.

But that would prevent people from spending more than they intended.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon May 19, 2014 11:34 pm UTC

810 + This thread:

alt: I swear, any time i see a nice looking lady, I just can't resist giving her all of my money.

speising

Postby speising » Tue May 20, 2014 1:13 am UTC

roband wrote:
mathmannix wrote:

MAKE IT HAIILLLLL.

i hear they sell fake 1$ bills here for exactly that.

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue May 20, 2014 11:03 am UTC

Well theres no dollar bills in my country, and yeah throwing a dollar coin would hurt more, but I was aiming to make it sound as expensive as possible to kill someone, so meh.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Tue May 20, 2014 11:42 am UTC

737 and the what-if front page

alt: The XKCD hosting package is about the same size as a yogurt package. It's hosted in the cloud, and the cloud is over there.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue May 20, 2014 4:34 pm UTC

president1370SW.PNG
Alt: Okay, I was wrong, it would be the same as it is now.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Tue May 20, 2014 9:30 pm UTC

This thread + 910 + 463 + Smbc 3170

Spoiler:

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri May 23, 2014 4:07 pm UTC

smartwatches1372sw.PNG
Alt: I should've asked for help from someone who knew what he/she was doing. Turns out most technology doesn't work like LEGO.

Return to “General”