Killing time in Seattle

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Fossa

Killing time in Seattle

Postby Fossa » Sat May 24, 2008 2:12 am UTC

So, I'm going to be in Seattle for the weekend in two weeks time and I don't know anyone in the city. I'm heading up for an entrance exam for a job which will fill most of the day on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. That still leaves me with the evenings to fill, though, and the day on Tuesday. Friday-Sunday night if I do anything it needs to be something on the lighter side since I have to go in for some form of testing the following morning, Monday night and Tuesday morning I'm pretty open though.

Wondering if anyone knows anything worth seeing or doing in my free time so I'm not just sitting in my cheap hotel room reading a book while listening to people go at it in neighboring rooms.

Nath

Re: Killing time in Seattle

Postby Nath » Sat May 24, 2008 2:54 am UTC

Fossa wrote:So, I'm going to be in Seattle for the weekend in two weeks time and I don't know anyone in the city. I'm heading up for an entrance exam for a job which will fill most of the day on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. That still leaves me with the evenings to fill, though, and the day on Tuesday. Friday-Sunday night if I do anything it needs to be something on the lighter side since I have to go in for some form of testing the following morning, Monday night and Tuesday morning I'm pretty open though.

Wondering if anyone knows anything worth seeing or doing in my free time so I'm not just sitting in my cheap hotel room reading a book while listening to people go at it in neighboring rooms.

Seattle's a nice town. Good bookshops, museums, coffee places and so on. What sort of stuff are you interested in?

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Sat May 24, 2008 2:58 am UTC

Nath wrote:
Fossa wrote:So, I'm going to be in Seattle for the weekend in two weeks time and I don't know anyone in the city. I'm heading up for an entrance exam for a job which will fill most of the day on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. That still leaves me with the evenings to fill, though, and the day on Tuesday. Friday-Sunday night if I do anything it needs to be something on the lighter side since I have to go in for some form of testing the following morning, Monday night and Tuesday morning I'm pretty open though.

Seattle's a nice town. Good bookshops, museums, coffee places and so on. What sort of stuff are you interested in?

I'm pretty open, to be perfectly honest. I'd rather go there with a list of things I might enjoy so I can see where my mood and rental car end up taking me. Museums would be fun, bookshops if they're worthwhile. Any place thats remotely nerdy or interesting I'd probably enjoy.

ATCG

Postby ATCG » Sat May 24, 2008 3:32 am UTC

Here are the first three things that popped into my head:All of these are within a stone's throw of each other and are all more or less on the waterfront - an area where you won't soon run out of sources of entertainment. This is especially the place to head if you have a taste for seafood.

Oh yeah, and Paul Allen's Experience Music Project.

Is there a particular part of Seattle where you'll be staying?
"The age of the universe is 100 billion, if the units are dog years." - Sean Carroll

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat May 24, 2008 3:37 am UTC

This may be my favorite topic ever, seeing as I am something of a Seattle expert (living around the area all my life).

The only museums that come to mind are the Seattle Art Museum and the Museum of Flight, unless you wanted to go down to Tacoma to see the Glass Museum. The Seattle Art Museum isn't that amazing, in my opinion, but if you're into planes, the Museum of Flight is pretty cool. I'm not much of an aviation nerd but I still loved it.

For bookstores, we have an anarchist bookstore around somewhere, I think... Otherwise, the Elliot Bay Book Company is nice. It's got old school wooden floors and shelves and a nice cafe inside. Also the store is right in Pioneer Square, so there's lots of stuff to walk to nearby ...Actually, while you're there you should do the tourist-y thing and go on the Seattle Underground Tour. It's informative and interesting, or at least I liked it... Pretty much you explore the old underground part of Seattle and get to walk under everything above- you can see little vents that open onto sidewalks above your head. It starts right in Pioneer Square.

Ummm, more stuff to do... There are plenty more tourist things, like checking out the Pike Place Market and the Seattle Center, of course. If the weather's nice (it's too far to predict) you could spend your free day taking a ferry somewhere nearby. If you're into the outdoors, take a hike, literally... there's plenty to find.

I could recommend more stuff if I knew more of your interests, so if you want to get into specifics I will try my best to help!

EDIT: Ninja'd in a good way. EMP and the Science Center are great suggestions, along with everything else.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat May 24, 2008 5:16 am UTC

Make sure you take a look at the Seattle Central Public Library. Well, if you like architecture or design at all, at least. I thought it was totally awesome.

If only I could get away with having a laser tag game in there... :P
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat May 24, 2008 5:41 am UTC

Sandry wrote:Make sure you take a look at the Seattle Central Public Library. Well, if you like architecture or design at all, at least. I thought it was totally awesome.

If only I could get away with having a laser tag game in there... :P

Really? I kind of think it looks like it's already been through that megathrust earthquake.

I'm going to go ahead and third the recommendation for Pike Place Market. The Space Needle is...expensive. But my sister works there! EMP is nothing special.

I highly recommend checking out Capitol Hill. Fabulous community/shops/whatever.

The U District (University of Washington and surrounding area) is also great. Oodles of used bookstores, awesome restaurants, just a nice place to spend the day. Of course I personally can spend hours in a used bookstore, so your mileage may vary.

Let us know how it goes, yeah?
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Sat May 24, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

I'll definately be posting the results of my trip, both work and rec related... and possibly pictures if I remember to bring my new digital camera and feel its safe to do so with the seedy hotel I'm staying in...

I'm staying at the Sea Tac Valu Inn (22246 International Blvd) and the test center is 3m west (just on the other side of the airport on the corner of 1st Ave South and S 192nd Street). I will *hopefully* have a car; some companies really don't like the fact that I'm 22....

Anyway, here's my itinerary for the trip:

Friday June 6th:
1:20 pm -- arrive
??:?? -- Fun stuff from your recommendations
9:00 -- Bed time.

Saturday June 7th:
5:00 -- Wake up (ugh)
5:30 -- Rewake up (love the snooze button)
7:30 -- Arrive at test site.
8:00-12:30 -- Written Civil Service Exam
12:30-1:30 -- Grab lunch, play DS.
1:30-3:30 -- Physical Agility Test
3:30-9:00 -- More fun stuff from your recommendations

Sunday June 8th:
5:30 -- Wake up
8:00-4:00 Play DS while waiting for hour long Oral Board Interview
4:00-9:00 -- MORE fun stuff from you guys.

Monday June 9th:
8:00-1:00 -- Written Psych eval
1:00-5:00 -- Interview with Background Detective (Polygraph test etc)
5:00-??:?? -- Fun stuffs

Tuesday June 10th:
12:00pm Arrive at SeaTac
3:39pm fly back to LAX
Last edited by Fossa on Sun May 25, 2008 11:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Sun May 25, 2008 12:16 am UTC

I love pike place market, make sure you get the tiny donuts and freshly roasted cashews, that's really all I go there for. The "Ye Old Curiosity Shop" is cool too, just north of the ferry dock.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sun May 25, 2008 12:40 am UTC

niko7865 wrote:I love pike place market, make sure you get the tiny donuts and freshly roasted cashews, that's really all I go there for. The "Ye Old Curiosity Shop" is cool too, just north of the ferry dock.

Lord, those tiny doughnuts complete me.

Oh, and I agree that "Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe" (or however you spell it) is pretty awesome. It's also next door to a pirate store. That's all on Alaskan Way, right along the downtown waterfront.

Hey, you could go to the zoo and/or the aquarium. That just occurred to me. If you're into animals, they're both fun places to go. The Seattle Aquarium is also on Alaskan Way, while the Woodland Park Zoo is up on Queen Anne Hill.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Sun May 25, 2008 12:57 am UTC

Fossa wrote:So, I'm going to be in Seattle for the weekend in two weeks time and I don't know anyone in the city. I'm heading up for an entrance exam for a job which will fill most of the day on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

Amazon or Microsoft? :)
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Sun May 25, 2008 1:15 am UTC

lazarus89 wrote:
Fossa wrote:So, I'm going to be in Seattle for the weekend in two weeks time and I don't know anyone in the city. I'm heading up for an entrance exam for a job which will fill most of the day on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

Amazon or Microsoft? :)

A better guess would have been Boeing. Truth of the matter is after applying there for 7 months and not hearing back (and getting the same result with a lot of other companies in the area) I decided to broaden my horizons. I'm looking at the Seattle Police Department now. More interesting work and better pay. Growth potential is slightly worse, but then this may or may not be permenant.

Big thing was I'm looking to get up to the Seattle area and out of LA and for that I need a job. Seattle PD is basically a sure thing and an interesting experience to boot. Over the last month I've gotten into the best shape I've been in in years getting ready for this.

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Sun May 25, 2008 1:58 am UTC

The Seattle International Film Festival is going on right now, lasting until June 15th. You should totally catch some great films:
http://www.siff.net/festival/calendar/i ... 008&FID=64
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sun May 25, 2008 2:14 am UTC

asanisimasa wrote:The Seattle International Film Festival is going on right now, lasting until June 15th. You should totally catch some great films:
http://www.siff.net/festival/calendar/i ... 008&FID=64

Ooh, yeah, I knew there was something going on, but I couldn't put my finger on that. The SIFF would definitely be a cool addition to a Seattle vacation.
Fossa wrote:Big thing was I'm looking to get up to the Seattle area and out of LA and for that I need a job. Seattle PD is basically a sure thing and an interesting experience to boot. Over the last month I've gotten into the best shape I've been in in years getting ready for this.

You kind of sound like my parents. They were just like, "Hm, we're sick of LA and Hawaii. Let's move somewhere else... I know! Seattle!"

Best part was, the first day they came into the city was a massive Grateful Dead concert... :lol:

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun May 25, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! You should go to Archie McPhee's!

!!

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Sun May 25, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

Fossa wrote:A better guess would have been Boeing.

Oh man, I always forget there's that third company in Seattle. :) Also, I knew you embarking on your fitness enhancement plan from Fit Club... kudos on following through with it!

Also, I spaced and missed your agenda. My bad.

Drinking coffee in a coffee shop while listening to Nirvana and watching the rain fall was the pinnacle of my (2 day) Seattle experience. :)
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Sun May 25, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! You should go to Archie McPhee's!

!!

Oh definitely. The area that it's in is really neat, too. For a slightly different take on the same sort of humor, visit Not A Number about two miles east in the Wallingford neighborhood.

As far as touristey things go, the Seattle Underground tour is actually quite interesting.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Sun May 25, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

stockpot wrote:
Quixotess wrote:Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! You should go to Archie McPhee's!

!!

Oh definitely. The area that it's in is really neat, too. For a slightly different take on the same sort of humor, visit Not A Number about two miles east in the Wallingford neighborhood.

As far as touristey things go, the Seattle Underground tour is actually quite interesting.

What/Where/Etc are these two things?

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon May 26, 2008 2:47 am UTC

I actually haven't heard of Not a Number, but Archie McPhee's is just a store. An awesome store. With...little plastic bugs and Nihilist Mints and things. The address is 2428 NW Market Street, Seattle, WA 98107. The hours are Mon.-Sat. 10 am - 7 pm, Sun. 11 am - 6 pm. It's basically toys, gifts, costumes, candy, knicknacks, etc. It's awesome. And Ballard (where the store is) is a pretty cool neighborhood.

SnoCrash

Postby SnoCrash » Mon May 26, 2008 3:27 am UTC

SIFF always has some really good flicks. One of the SIFF theaters in Capitol Hill is pretty cool. I think it's called The Egyptian.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon May 26, 2008 3:50 am UTC

lazarus89 wrote:Drinking coffee in a coffee shop while listening to Nirvana and watching the rain fall was the pinnacle of my (2 day) Seattle experience. :)

I highly recommend this as well. Just go find one of the *countless* Starbucks and listen to some music from the region while you sip your coffee, hopefully accompanied by a sudden rain. It feels so authentic.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon May 26, 2008 7:02 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:I highly recommend this as well. Just go find one of the *countless* Starbucks and listen to some music from the region while you sip your coffee, hopefully accompanied by a sudden rain. It feels so authentic.

No, don't come all the way here and drink the same burnt coffee you could get in any other city. Find a good local coffee shop. I can recommend some in the U District; for elsewhere in Seattle, the reviews on Yelp are usually fairly reliable.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

go to the pike place market, it's delicious

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Mon May 26, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:I actually haven't heard of Not a Number, but Archie McPhee's is just a store. An awesome store. With...little plastic bugs and Nihilist Mints and things. The address is 2428 NW Market Street, Seattle, WA 98107. The hours are Mon.-Sat. 10 am - 7 pm, Sun. 11 am - 6 pm. It's basically toys, gifts, costumes, candy, knicknacks, etc. It's awesome. And Ballard (where the store is) is a pretty cool neighborhood.
This is Archee McPhee's catalog just to give you an idea of things. Last time I went, they were also selling a fair amount of miscellaneous small hardware, lunchboxes and "Free Ballard" propaganda. (The area in which the store is located, Ballard, used to be a seperate city until it was annexed by Seattle around 1910.) Archee McPhee actually takes up two buildings, so if you go, remember to visit their annex across the street, too.

Not a Number is a much smaller store with lots of similar attractions (Cold War unicorns! Cattle-pults!) but less of the costumes and more of the funny books and printed stuffs resulting in what I believe is a higher degree of win per square foot. There's also a significant number of items in the second part of the store promoting some rather liberal perspectives, so if that bothers you, you might not want to spend so much time there. Address: 1905 N 45th St, Seattle

If you're up for it... I've never been there myself, but many praise the erotic bakery(link safe for work- store nsfw) situated somewhere between the two aforementioned venues. Might be worth a gander. Care for a boob cupcake?

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

So I leave tomorrow morning.

Planning on taking Friday easy since I have the written exam and physical agility test on Saturday. Might try to find a quiet coffee shop to spend the afternoon and evening with a good book.

Saturday afternoon I plan on hitting up the Pacific Science Center and the Space Needle. (showers all day)

Sunday afternoon I'll try to hit up Pioneer Square including the Elliot Bay Book company. (Scattered showers)

Monday afternoon probably the zoo since its the only day it isn't supposed to rain.

Tuesday morning before I fly out... not sure.

Pics and stuff to follow when I get back.

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:41 am UTC

Fossa wrote:So I leave tomorrow morning.

Planning on taking Friday easy since I have the written exam and physical agility test on Saturday. Might try to find a quiet coffee shop to spend the afternoon and evening with a good book.

Saturday afternoon I plan on hitting up the Pacific Science Center and the Space Needle. (showers all day)

Sunday afternoon I'll try to hit up Pioneer Square including the Elliot Bay Book company. (Scattered showers)

Monday afternoon probably the zoo since its the only day it isn't supposed to rain.

Tuesday morning before I fly out... not sure.

Pics and stuff to follow when I get back.

I did not see Pike Place anywhere in that list, you have to go, it's covered so you wont get wet!
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

What if I don't like food? :(

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Strongly support Pacific Science Center. That was practically my childhood, right there.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:34 am UTC

Fossa wrote:What if I don't like food? :(

doesn't matter, food's not the only thing there

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:29 am UTC

Seattle.Was.Awesome.

I only just got back though, and have some pressing concerns so I can't upload my photos till Thursday most likely.

At any rate, all the testing and interviews went pretty well (except I realized I completely forgot to file my taxes this year which I need to handle *fast* if it isn't going to hurt me), but that's a topic for another day.

Friday I was pretty drained by the process of getting there and getting set up. I checked out the test center and an apartment not too far away which I was considering. Also drove north on the 5 at random. Ended up crossing the West Seattle bridge, realizing that that is not somewhere fun or interesting, and coming back.

Real fun started on Saturday. I got done with the first portion of testing at about 3 in the afternoon. Ventured in to town to see where I'd have my oral board interview the following morning.

I parked on 5th Ave a bit west of James St, checked out the Police Station so I knew where it was, then wandered a bit.

I was heading for where I thought Pioneer square was but I couldn't seem to locate it exactly. I had planned on hitting up the underground tour as I figured that would be a good place to start on that side of down town.

I just wasn't up for walking over to the Space Needle with a 2 hour limit on parking, particularly as I had just run a good long ways that morning for the test.

In the process of looking for Pioneer Square I got run over by a tour group in progress. I snuck into the group and caught the last little leg of the tour. I'll probably do the full thing at some point in the future as it seemed fun. I got one really terrible picture of myself where you can't even tell where I am. Good times though.

From there I continued wandering down along the waterfront. It was about 4:40 and the aquarium was about to close so I hit up Pike Place Market.

That place is awesome. Thank you for the recommendations. I spent a good deal of time in the Old Seattle Paperworks finding things I'd love to buy but would be unable to take back on the plane with me. I didn't stay too long, though, since I had limited time on my parking sticker.

I eventually left there and wandered north/north east kind of at random. If I recall correctly I was haphazardly looking for the Elliot Bay Book Co. At any rate I wound up standing on the intersection of 4th and Pine for a while and just surveying a rather strange juxtaposition of culture.

A rather unfriendly gentleman with a cadre of dogs and friends sitting near the corner sort of stared at me the whole time I was there. Feeling rather like the outsider I was, I eventually moved on and found my way back to my car.

I finished up early on Sunday and fortunately I was already down town. I drove over to the Seattle Center and hit up the Space Needle first thing. It seemed kind of mandatory, and I did enjoy the view.

I hit up the Pacific Science Center and was pretty horribly disappointed to be honest. I grew up with the Liberty Science Center and I was expecting something roughly five times the size and better put together (the pools were empty when I was there!). I was also counting on getting a shot of the ducks in the pond, but alas, no water, no ducks. Just a "Do not feed the ducks" sign.

Disaster.

I did catch the 3D "Wild Ocean" IMAX, though, which made the experience somewhat worth it.

From there I hit up the Experience Music Project which put my fun times back on track. The place was pretty awesome and interesting. I relaxed in the Hendrix exhibit alone for a good 15 minutes before I moved on.

Also, you guys failed to mention that there is a Science Fiction Museum attached to the EMP. It was awesome. Particularly because I completely embarassed a pair of cute girls when I caught them doing obscene things to one of the robots in a secluded corner downstairs. Awkward hilarity to say the least.

From there I wandered down to the Seattle Art Museum's statue garden on the water. Some of the stuff was interesting, though the giant traffic cones are pretty hideous. I apparently caught the "Wildflower Celebration", though I was between guided tours so I just walked through myself. Honestly, I wasn't particularly miffed that I missed the "guided tour". It was still a pretty stroll down to the waterfront.

Started back tracking at this point and made my way over to the Seattle Aquarium. En route I did manage to snap a rather pathetic picture of a duck in the harbor before arriving at the aquarium itself where, as it turns out, they have not one but TWO types of otters.

Forumites rejoice. Cute pics to follow.

I spent a little while there before moving again. I was pretty disappointed since, again, my expectations wildly exceeded what was there. I grew up with the Maritime Center in the North East which is far larger and better put together. Still. Otters. So it was pretty cool.

I left there and hit up Pike Place Market again after I realized I had failed to locate those tiny donuts I recalled someone saying "completed" them. Alas, I couldn't seem to find the place. That market is tricky to navigate it seems.

I did, however, manage to buy a giant chocolate chip cookie from a shop on the street where a street performer was playing the piano on the corner. Good times.

Eventually I called it a day, intent on hitting up the Zoo and the Flight Museum the following day.

Unfortunately, I was a bit short on time the next day. I woke up early counting on proper city traffic. Of course, I later realized that what my local innkeeper called "heavy traffic" was hardly traffic at all by LA standards. I arrived to my interview 90 minutes early.

I wandered down to the Starbucks near the station to kill some time where I saw a demonstration in progress complete with a large group of Seattle's finest. As I'm attemping to join the PD, it seemed worth watching.

People had set up a tent in the middle of the street (James or Cherry I believe) right on fourth ave and were blocking traffic. They were protesting jobs with low paying wages, expensive housing, and some other things I'm not quite clear on. I heard them chanting what sounded like "Stop the sweeps, stop the streets." over and over again.

I stood there alone a short ways up the hill dressed in my designer suit, Starbucks and black umbrella in hand as I watched the scene unfold. Several photographers took my picture, though none spoke to me.

I made my way back to the station after several of the protestors had been arrested and the rest dispersed. My interview was of course pushed back an hour. In the end I left late and felt quite tired after waking up early.

I drove north on the 5 thinking I was heading towards the zoo, which of course I was not. I turned around after about 5 minutes and headed south. By the time I got there though it was pouring rain.

While I didn't mind the rain, I figured the animals wouldn't be at their best. I was also feeling rather drained so I headed home.

Left the next day, got back tonight just in time for work where I am now. Fun times (aside from the fact that I have a final exam in 9 hours which I haven't studied for :oops:). It was an awesome trip and is an awesome city. I'm really excited by the prospect of moving there later this year.

If all goes well I'll be back up in a few weeks to finish the application process (medical/polygraph/psych interview/proper interview).

Things to do on my return:

Visit the zoo on a non-rainy day, visit the flight museum, take the Underground Tour in its entirety, find the Elliot Bay Book Co., spend more time in Pike Place Market... any other things you guys may have that you failed to mention.

Return to “General”