Get to work.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

How do you get to work?

Tram
3%
Train
7%
Walk
20%
Elephant
4%
Bus
14%
Car
26%
On back of raptor
14%
Other
11%

Total votes: 261

x-Swamp

Get to work.

Postby x-Swamp » Sun May 25, 2008 10:21 am UTC

Well. How do you commute your area?

Ride, walk, elephant?

Discuss.
Last edited by x-Swamp on Sun May 25, 2008 10:28 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Under development - my html sucks.

http://www.hitpenguin.net - any comments?

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Re: Get to work.

Postby Mother Superior » Sun May 25, 2008 10:25 am UTC

Tram. So far I haven't paid for it once since I moved here. You can commence booing me now.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

x-Swamp

Postby x-Swamp » Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 am UTC

Meh. Its overpriced anyway (were i live)
Under development - my html sucks.

http://www.hitpenguin.net - any comments?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun May 25, 2008 11:05 am UTC

Drive to the station, catch a train, then either walk to the other side of the plant or catch a bus if there's one convenient. It's a cheaper option until I move, at which point driving is likely to be both quicker and less expensive.

joff

Postby joff » Sun May 25, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

Leave apartment, Go down hallway, go down lift, walk 3 blocks. Go up lift, walk to desk :-)

Living in the CBD rocks :)
mostly_true_comics wrote:...we're forgetting about the geopolitical ramifications of such an incursion. If you think the Morloks, Molemen, and Lord Kinbote are going to sit still while you tunnel through their territory, think again.

28/♂/hetero/NZ

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Sun May 25, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

Well, it's a long commute. I ride an elephant from my African tribal land to the nearest bus station. I then take a bus up towards the middle east. In the middle east, things are a bit dangerous, so I ride my raptor (easy enough to train, you just need to make sure you feed them at least one human child five times a day.)

la_negra

Postby la_negra » Sun May 25, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

Bicycle. Well, in winter I go by train or by bus, but when roads are dry, weather is good (it isn't raining) and temperature is above zero, I ride a bike to school. Reasons:
Distance. It's just 7 kilometers.
Price. Well, it is not too much expensive, but I rather spend the money on clothes or computer hardware or even beer.
Comfort. Buses and trains are crowded every morning and travelling is quite uncomfortable
Time. When I go by train, it takes about 20 minutes to get to to school. By bus, it's about 15 minutes. When I ride a bike, it takes something between 15 and 20 minutes. When I want to catch the train, I have to leave my house at 7:00, when i ride a bike, I can leave my house at 7:20 or even a bit later.
Independence. When I want to go shopping or meet friends in café, I can and I donť have to care about transport.
Sport. I have no time to do any other sport, so I at least cycle every day, I'm used to it and that helps me relax.
From city to city, from dawn to dawn and the whole generation is on the run. Goodbye to the past, hello to the future, as the struggle continues, there's no fate... http://www.la-negra.ic.cz

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Sun May 25, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

Other: work from home. It's nice to be able to accommodate my sleeping patterns, but I sure as hell miss the human interaction. No real choice at the moment, though.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Sun May 25, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

Bike option?

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sun May 25, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

...hello? We're in the new millennium? It's the future now? Obviously we all get to work using jetpacks. Personally I like my Ford jetpack. I used to go Japanese-made jetpack, but it just wasn't powerful enough. Very well made, but didn't have the "oomph" to lift a good 'ol American boy.
Randall on a skateboard!?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun May 25, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Wanderingcowboy wrote:...hello? We're in the new millennium? It's the future now? Obviously we all get to work using jetpacks. Personally I like my Ford jetpack. I used to go Japanese-made jetpack, but it just wasn't powerful enough. Very well made, but didn't have the "oomph" to lift a good 'ol American boy.

Pfft! Bloody jet-packers, get a job and get hover-mo-car like everyone else! And don't start whining over how laser prices have gone up, just get one with good mileage.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun May 25, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

School bus in high school, and I might either drive myself or take the bus to college.

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sun May 25, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
Wanderingcowboy wrote:...hello? We're in the new millennium? It's the future now? Obviously we all get to work using jetpacks. Personally I like my Ford jetpack. I used to go Japanese-made jetpack, but it just wasn't powerful enough. Very well made, but didn't have the "oomph" to lift a good 'ol American boy.
Pfft! Bloody jet-packers, get a job and get hover-mo-car like everyone else! And don't start whining over how laser prices have gone up, just get one with good mileage.

I'm sorry my 532nd story apartment doesn't come with a parking space! And we all can't afford air-parking every day! That's expensive as hell! And anyways, how do you think installs the laser-dilithium couplings in your hover-mo-car? Yeah, that's me. And let me tell you, that job isn't getting me anywhere close to affording a hover-mo-car myself!
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Sun May 25, 2008 10:10 pm UTC

I bike, and take the train. That is, I bike to the train station, and take the train in the rest of the way.

Or, that is the plan, once I start working.
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

Late

On foot, about a 25min walk. Wish I could afford a bike lock right now.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun May 25, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

Wanderingcowboy wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:

I'm sorry my 532nd story apartment doesn't come with a parking space! And we all can't afford air-parking every day! That's expensive as hell! And anyways, how do you think installs the laser-dilithium couplings in your hover-mo-car? Yeah, that's me. And let me tell you, that job isn't getting me anywhere close to affording a hover-mo-car myself!

Well I'm sorry but just cause your parents couldn't afford to give their child more than a Delta-2 class memory-transplant doesn't mean I should have to feel guilty.
- Hesiod, Theogony

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sun May 25, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm sorry that I'm not Swedish, and thus part of the Euro-Asia Alliance. It's not my fault America became a 2nd class country during the Black April depression and hasn't been able to climb out since. It's not like you guys have offered much assistance. So while you're all high and might with your Alpha-Sigma memory boosters, bio-genic-neuro conducting thinking enhancers and 14 inch peni, the rest of us suffer in over-crowed city-cubes building up your fancy Eurasian life styles!My father worked his hands to the bone in the jet-boot factories so that I could become the first in my family to get a quintinary-orbital knowledge degree of knowingitude. It's not my fault I can't get a decent job anywhere just 'cause I'm American!

Edit'd to save space (again)
Last edited by Wanderingcowboy on Mon May 26, 2008 12:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun May 25, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

Wanderingcowboy wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:
Wanderingcowboy wrote:I'm sorry my 532nd story apartment doesn't come with a parking space! And we all can't afford air-parking every day! That's expensive as hell! And anyways, how do you think installs the laser-dilithium couplings in your hover-mo-car? Yeah, that's me. And let me tell you, that job isn't getting me anywhere close to affording a hover-mo-car myself!
Well I'm sorry but just cause your parents couldn't afford to give their child more than a Delta-2 class memory-transplant doesn't mean I should have to feel guilty.

Yeah, I'm sorry that I'm not Swedish, and thus part of the Euro-Asia Alliance. It's not my fault America became a 2nd class country during the Black April depression and hasn't been able to climb out since. It's not like you guys have offered much assistance. So while you're all high and might with your Alpha-Sigma memory boosters, bio-genic-neuro conducting thinking enhancers and 14 inch peni, the rest of us suffer in over-crowed city-cubes building up your fancy Eurasian life styles!My father worked his hands to the bone in the jet-boot factories so that I could become the first in my family to get a quintinary-orbital knowledge degree of knowingitude. It's not my fault I can't get a decent job anywhere just 'cause I'm American!

Oh for god's sake it's always the bloody same with you 'mericans- "Oooh we're discriminated against!" "I can't get a good memory booster cause the way I speak!" "Boohoo, I don't have any parents cause they lived on the eastern seaboard during the second melting of the polar icecaps!" "Boohoo, I don't have any parents cause they lived on the western seaboard during the third atomic war!" Moan, moan, bloody moaning! Tell you what mate, you 'mericans need to stop feeling sorry for yourself and start doing the hard work! And I'll tell you what; I'm not a racist, but it's no wonder they don't transform 'mericans into bio-mech soldiers after they die, just saying!

...sorry, what was this topic about?
- Hesiod, Theogony

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sun May 25, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

What do you not understand about this? They do transform us into bio-mech soldiers after we die! Where do you think the bio-mech soldiers come form?! Hell, my uncle was only 68 when they transformed him, STILL ALIVE! And even in America life expectancy is still around 120 years.

...and like the topic says, "Get to work". ...so... I assume the topic is about getting back to work, instead of posting about the future that is now where Europe and Asia join forces, and apparently Americans are 2nd class world-citizens?

Edit'd to save space.
Last edited by Wanderingcowboy on Mon May 26, 2008 12:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sun May 25, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

The journey to work for me is about 10 miles and I have yet to fully learn to drive, pass my test a acquire a vehicle, so my mode of commute in the mornings for the daily grind is bus. It's fairly convenient for me really. One service goes on a fairly direct route past my house across the street every 10 minutes, all the way to city centre in about 15-30 mins (traffic dependent), then it's 3 minute walk from a stop next to the train station to my office. There's also a fairly good Metro network up here that might be suitable if the closest station wasn't 2 miles away in a region of the city where you're more likely to be stabbed and mugged than passed by casually without a friendly hello. If I could though, I would take the OtterDuck transportation network.

someguy

Postby someguy » Sun May 25, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

Bus ride, then a subway ride. The whole commute takes me about an hour, more if the subway's not working right (which is often the case.)
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Mon May 26, 2008 2:50 am UTC

Walk to train station, catch train, (possibly change to express if running late), tram up to uni, raptor through crowds to lecture theatre. Often my first train is cancelled because the line its on is effectively an appendix to the train network.

Personal teleporters beat jetpacks for speed though.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Mon May 26, 2008 3:53 am UTC

Walk to car. Drive 90mph for 30 miles. Park. Walk.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Mon May 26, 2008 6:00 am UTC

My work is just a 30 minute walk away, so I walk 99% of the time. If ever I'm somewhere other than my home that's farther away (or just don't feel like walking) I'll take the bus.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Mon May 26, 2008 6:41 am UTC

I drive to work. Its about a ten minute drive. And there is no public transportation-well, really crappy public transportation in the suburbs.

I'd rather drive than rely on a bus or something, though. I can go where I want, blast music as loud as I want, etc, etc.

Cars=freedom to move.
Live with passion. Die with passion.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Mon May 26, 2008 7:40 am UTC

Walk mostly, or bike if I intend to go shopping afterwards. If I want to go into town after uni, I'll walk in and then get on the train. I love being at the only UK university to have a train station on campus - it's so much less hassle then having to get on the really slow buses.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Mon May 26, 2008 7:53 am UTC

Car. I would rather be able to use some sort of public transportation or walk or bike or whatever, but I'm only at this job for another few months, so it doesn't seem worth moving out, closer to work. It's a little more than 20 miles, but includes a horrible horrible bottleneck of a toll-tunnel under a river, so it can take anywhere from 30 minutes (if the tunnel is clear) to well over an hour (if there's a queue at the tunnel).
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Graham Finch

Postby Graham Finch » Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am UTC

Raptor

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon May 26, 2008 8:40 am UTC

Depends how I feel. It's about a ten minute bus ride, or a 45 minute walk. Oddly, I never tend to walk back from uni, it's always bus-back time. Or a taxi, if I missed the last bus.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon May 26, 2008 12:29 pm UTC

It's a 25-mile drive for me, all down one road. No interstates, no major traffic congestion. I just have to watch out for two speed traps, and the police. There's a fast food restaurant right along the way to work, if I have enough money to stop for breakfast.
PRG

An important message for you:

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Mon May 26, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

Holy resurrection Patrick!

I take the car, it's about a 5 minute drive. I'm contemplating buying a bicycle and using that (it's a bit too far to walk there, I figure I'll sweat).
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Mon May 26, 2008 12:57 pm UTC

I go to scholl by bike so I had to select Otter..uhm.. that's other. Needs a bike option.
If I don't go by bike (bad weather) I go by bus or on top of my raptor.
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Mon May 26, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

forgot bike. its not a 40 hour a week job tho and its only ~4 blocks from my house. if i had a real job id probably have to drive.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon May 26, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:Holy resurrection Patrick!

That's a cakewalk compared to what I used to have to drive. I had to drive about 80 miles, one-way, through Downtown Atlanta. All interstates. Average commute time one-way was one-and-a-half to two hours. Some days it took three hours or more. Those days were called "Friday afternoons". Leaving work at 4:00 PM helped not one bit. I also really dreaded days when the Braves had a home game, or if it rained.
PRG

An important message for you:

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon May 26, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

I bus. When my knee is better and it stops raining I will walk, I only live about 2 miles away.

One of my friends rode an elephant to work to hand in his resignation, after his boss spread rumours that he was insane. It caused traffic jams through most of the city centre :mrgreen:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 26, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

I'm considering buying roller skates and getting my dog to tow me to work. Little fucker can pull like crazy. The only problem I see is that he's easily distractable. Still, I figure that getting 20 miles round trip on a half-cup of dogfood is far cheaper than gas.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon May 26, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'm considering buying roller skates and getting my dog to tow me to work. Little fucker can pull like crazy. The only problem I see is that he's easily distractable. Still, I figure that getting 20 miles round trip on a half-cup of dogfood is far cheaper than gas.

This is how dad walked one of the family's dogs. He tied him to his bike and that sucker would pull my significantly heavy-weight father all over town before getting even a little tired. I had a friend who, when I told him about this bursted out how bad it must have been for the dog, but I said it was more dangerous for my father. The dog didn't stop for anything, including traffic.
- Hesiod, Theogony

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Mon May 26, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

I walk about 40 minutes each way. Halifax is pretty flat though, so it's fine.

In Wellington I used to catch a bus to the central train station, then a train out to Upper Hutt, then I'd walk about 20 minutes from that station to Industrial Research. Took about 90 minutes each way. I used the bus/train time to learn Thai, but I've been falling behind since I haven't got the same commute anymore...

kovan

Postby kovan » Mon May 26, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

I drive my car to one of two train stations, depending on whether or not there's parking available at the first. You see, in Toronto they love to tease us with public transportation. "Use the train," they say, "it will save you money and is hassle-free! Don't forget about the environment!" Sure it saves a little bit of money, but hassle-free it is not. They run four trains per morning and the parking lot fills up after the first two.

Anyways, on the mornings I can manage to find parking I drive to the train station, walk to the platform, then sit inside of an aluminum box moving 80 km/h for about 50 minutes, then I get out and walk about 5 more minutes until I get to my desk. To go home I reverse the process, except instead of looking for parking I try to avoid running over pedestrians and getting hit by crazy soccer moms who need to pick up little Montana from the $500/hour sitter.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon May 26, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

Depends which workplace I'm going to, but I mix it up between feet, car and train. One office is ten minutes walk. The other place is about a 40 minute morning drive (for which I get a lift), or 40 minutes train journey (including changes) and a half hour walk. I try to get the lift if I can, mainly to save money, but it's also more convenient. It doesn't have the perk of having an hour's uninterrupted music time though.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Return to “General”