Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Blinke

Re: Today You Learned

Postby Blinke » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

Dayman wrote:Today I learned that the youngest person to give birth was 5 years old.

Surely that can't be possible? :shock:

Peter_G

Postby Peter_G » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

Today I learned that a toasted sandwich with chips in it isn't as great as it sounds.
If you're not a bot, you're a creepy motherfucker

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

That i look damn fine in a kilt.

And that i've lost a few inches since i last got it fitted.

Well chuffed :D
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Dayman

Postby Dayman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

Blinke wrote:
Dayman wrote:Today I learned that the youngest person to give birth was 5 years old.

Surely that can't be possible? :shock:

here's the link for anyone interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Medina

Seda

Postby Seda » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:47 am UTC

Today I learned I'd give anything for 1980's Michael Jackson's shoes. I wish my tiles would light up with every step I took.

Also, I learned some Kobaian. :D
Aum

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Today I learned that staying up till three in the morning and then having a seven hour sleep, is much more effective than a longer sleep started earlier in the night.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Today I learned how to play Chickenfoot.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:47 am UTC

Today I learned why the escalators downstairs throw me off balance so much; when nobody is on them, they rotate at a slower speed than when people are. When you step on to it, it senses you and accelerates.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.

Silvyr

Postby Silvyr » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:29 am UTC

Today I learned a lot.

That my self esteem can be absolutely shattered by stupid dream.

That it is possible for me to randomly lose a contact in my eye without touching my eye, sleeping, or anything like that [and it didn't come out. It got moved somewhere else in my eye cos it just came out about fifteen minutes ago].

That if I get a call from a friend to go to Taco Bell for a taco.. that not only entails going to Taco Bell, saying hi to a buddy working there, and eating the taco, but then forcing me to drive through the the drive through because she's afraid of them immediately after for a drink, and pulling a chinese fire drill at the the exit of the drive through. Then, we adventure off to see christmas lights. Get distracted. Get chalk. Write urls all over the parking lot for the local Jr. High and on sidewalks outside jsuta bout every business in the next town over. But then rolling down a steep hill. Going to Burger King for another drink. Rolling down another giant hill. Fleeing from crazy old women. Then going to see Christmas lights. Going back to Taco Bell and pulling into the parking lot the second our friend gets off her shift and is walking out the door. Having the driver dash out of the car to distract our friend who just got off work so I can go scribble said url in chalk around her car. Then us all going to McDonalds, to discover the only way to get food from there at 10 at night is via drive through. So we go to Burger King. And it's the same thing. So instead, we all pile into the girl who was working's Le Baron [instead of the spacious Nissan Xtera I had been in previously and was parked right next to her car], going through the BK drive through under the impression she was getting something, so I ordered a milkshake even though I wanted a freaking McFlurry. She decides not to get food. I get a stupid freaking milkshake and whine about wanting a McFlurry. We go to McDonalds again. She actual gets food. The people working there death glare us cos we were being obnoxious. We end up back at someone elses house for 45 minutes talking and fighting over blankets, and finally coming home. Thus concluding the taco adventure which should have taken 15-20 minutes tops, but instead took four and a half hours XD
Asmodieus wrote:You're a Cullen, Silvyr.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

Teapot wrote:Today I learned that reading anything involving animal welfare/rights sets off panic attacks.
bloody peta...
Read more about human rights/suffering, and it will numb you to animal pain.

Mr. Beck wrote:Today I Learned that this experiment is entirly possible, if messy.
The article talks about using a funnel. While I haven't done this particular project, I would recommend cutting the top off a plastic 2L cola bottle, as it has a wider spout than a typical funnel (yet still fits inside the honey container), but is also disposable so you don't have to worry about cleaning the spout.

I know this because I use squeezable honey containers (NOT the bears!) for raspberry jam.

Seda wrote:D'awwww...sorry to hear.

If it's any consolation, none of us will be leaving soon.
Really? Damn.

Today I learned I have an infestation of maggots or something in my pantry. Which is also the closet I use for other things like board games. Yuck yuck yuck.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:42 am UTC

I learned that if I do something like, say, sprintf(Str, "%0488u", Num);, I will, in fact, get a 488-digit number. And that putting 488-digit numbers into 32-character buffers can have all sorts of fun symptoms. (The format string is generated at runtime; I still haven't worked out why the length ends up so huge...)

[edit] The lesson here is remember to initialize your variables. >_>
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:33 am UTC

Today I learned that the nintendo ds goes to sleep when you close it, and that you dont have to turn it off when you need to put it away for a short while.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:58 am UTC

I learned that Sailor Jerry's and coke tastes like milkbottles; that you're supposed to put lime in it to counteract this; that it is further delicious avec lime
That being dragged out of bed at 5pm to go drinking because its St. Andrews day is totally awesome.
That the first drink of the day (N.A) should not, under any circumstances, be had at a pub. It makes you feel weird.
That blankets rock my fucking world.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

I learned that I got 92% for the subject "Principles of Game Design" where the assessment is 50% written and 50% a level for Unreal Tournament 3, both quite difficult to get 100% on. Not bad since I forgot the minimap in the level entirely...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Sea Ferring

Postby Sea Ferring » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

John Holmes had sex with around 3,000 women and died from AIDS.

He also had a penis size that was rumored from 9 to 16 inches.

She

Postby She » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

I learned that cockney rhyming slang is an incredibly weirdo and far-fetched idea that noone uses as an everyday languag. Please, don't tell me anyone does? If you do, you are weirdos and incredibly far-fetched.
She speaks in the third person
So she can forget that she's me

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

Today I learned that real men, like Winston Churchill, don't end sentences with prepositions.

I also learned about the Game of Life--the brilliantly simple and fascinating one, not the one with the little pegs in a minivan.

She wrote:I learned that cockney rhyming slang is an incredibly weirdo and far-fetched idea that noone uses as an everyday languag. Please, don't tell me anyone does? If you do, you are weirdos and incredibly far-fetched.

It was modified into Nadsat, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who use at least some of those terms in conversation.
500%!

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:51 am UTC

She wrote:I learned that cockney rhyming slang is an incredibly weirdo and far-fetched idea that noone uses as an everyday languag. Please, don't tell me anyone does? If you do, you are weirdos and incredibly far-fetched.

My uncle does, as do a lot of folks originating from Essex and the surrounding area, i'm lead to belive.

I learned that midnight is the new 7am (for today at least). I have a feeling that i'll be on some kind of energy drink with my booze to celebrate the end of todays zam.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:10 am UTC

Today I (re)learned that Google doesn't let bots search with it. I learned this after writing half my program already.

*makes contact with desk using head*
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:13 am UTC

I learned that wearing your contacts too much can mean that your eyes start treating them as an invasive substance (aka infection) and that can lead up to an excess of natural anti bodies or something like that accumulating in your eyes and irritating the shit out of them.

If you see me in public I will be wearing my glasses for the next 3-4 weeks.

Just an FYI
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:19 am UTC

today I learned (as well) that the youngest mother was 5 years old... that really is kind of nuts.

I also learnt that ending every action with *crazily* makes for a fun conversation :D

[edit] I also noticed that I interchange between "learned" and "learnt" and I'm not really sure why ><

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Today I learned the fess thread is locked (at least for now).

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Today you all get to learn that democracy is alive and well.

(11:09:47 PM) Gordon: A guy just posted "I learned the fess thread is locked, at least for now"
(11:09:57 PM) Gordon: If I locked that thread now, bad or funny?
(11:10:27 PM) Meaux: ...both?
(11:10:27 PM) JayDee: Funny, but risky?
(11:10:28 PM) hermaj: hmmmmm
(11:10:31 PM) Swordfish: Gordon, I can give you $500 Zimbabwean a year
(11:10:37 PM) hermaj: i would think it's funny
(11:10:37 PM) hermaj: but
(11:10:42 PM) hermaj: i have serious hyper giggles
(11:10:53 PM) Noc: It's not that funny right /now,/ but it WILL be if you continue and end up locking half of General.
(11:11:35 PM) Meaux: I'll think it's funny now, and right on through until i get distracte
(11:11:41 PM) scrt_rbt_agnt: it's always funny when threads get locked for no reason
(11:12:09 PM) Gordon: based on this conversation I have decided to move forward.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
RealGrouchy wrote:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:26 am UTC

Today I learned that my boyfriend is having an affair with Gordon.
How could I compete with a banana?
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Don't even try. It's not worth it, and you'll just end up getting hurt.
*waggles eyebrows*

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Gordon wrote:Today you all get to learn that democracy is alive and well.

(11:09:47 PM) Gordon: A guy just posted "I learned the fess thread is locked, at least for now"
(11:09:57 PM) Gordon: If I locked that thread now, bad or funny?
(11:10:27 PM) Meaux: ...both?
(11:10:27 PM) JayDee: Funny, but risky?
(11:10:28 PM) hermaj: hmmmmm
(11:10:31 PM) Swordfish: Gordon, I can give you $500 Zimbabwean a year
(11:10:37 PM) hermaj: i would think it's funny
(11:10:37 PM) hermaj: but
(11:10:42 PM) hermaj: i have serious hyper giggles
(11:10:53 PM) Noc: It's not that funny right /now,/ but it WILL be if you continue and end up locking half of General.
(11:11:35 PM) Meaux: I'll think it's funny now, and right on through until i get distracte
(11:11:41 PM) scrt_rbt_agnt: it's always funny when threads get locked for no reason
(11:12:09 PM) Gordon: based on this conversation I have decided to move forward.
That conversation is filled with awesome people.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:34 am UTC

If you think Meaux is in danger of getting hurt just think of how easily us banana's bruise!
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:38 am UTC

Ba-dum tish.

On topic: Today i learned that the Track and Field pre-season has started. I was really looking forward to my break between the crosscountry season and the track season, but it seems that once running gets its track spikes in you, it's difficult to dig them out again.
*waggles eyebrows*

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:40 am UTC

8-10

5 with good behaviour
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:45 am UTC

*Zak stares at the computer screen. A tear trickles out of the corner of one eye. It drips off of his cheek and splashes onto the desk in front of him, but he doesn't notice. All he can see is the endless miles of trails and dusty roads in front of him.*

:cry:
*waggles eyebrows*

dizturbd

Postby dizturbd » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:49 am UTC

I learnt that a program I was coding which I thought wasn't working, was actually working perfectly.

Apparently I should work for Microsoft.

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:44 am UTC

I have this strange sensation in my head. Like it's going to pop. And a million things are going to come out of it.

My boyfriend tells me this means I'm thinking. It's a very foreign experience for me.

Maybe today I learned what it feels like to think.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:53 am UTC

I just learned that I missed a lot of weirdness on these fora by sleeping all day. Yay insomnia!
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:57 am UTC

Today I learned that no matter how much you try to hint something, the people in FG just dont get it.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:16 am UTC

Today I learned (though I all ready knew it) that davean really is a good guy. Also, he depends on me.

thefiddler: davean: I was wondering if you could pull another huge favour for me.
davean: ?
thefiddler: Could you possibly hide SLR, N&A, and SB / Dear SB for about a week from me?
davean: need to get work done?
thefiddler: Just so I don't go crazy from attempting to reacquaint myself with the forum and wandering in there and then attempting suicide.
davean: Eh, you aren't allowed to commit suicide
thefiddler: Why not?
thefiddler: You'd miss your favourite post-editor?
davean: Someone needs to save people from my spelling

(As a side note: He did, in fact, hide them from me. That's what I get for saving people from his atrocious spelling! Hurrah!)

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:47 am UTC

What's this? The administration on this forum is composed of huge softies? I am shocked, shocked I say!

Today I realized - well, first, a tiny bit of background.

One of my classes is four floors up in a certain building; another, two-and-a-half. All classes at my school get out at either the :20 mark or the :50 mark, so when you get out of class you're sure to be in a large group.

When I exit my class and go down the stairs, I am always very anxious about staying just behind the person who is in front of me so as not to slow up the exodus. I am also very anxious about getting as far ahead from the person behind me as possible, so that I know I'm not slowing them down.

Today I realized that this is a losing game if everyone plays, and I have therefore resolved to go at my own pace.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:24 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:I am also very anxious about getting as far ahead from the person behind me as possible, so that I know I'm not slowing them down.
You... do this too? I really hate being so considerate in public places, especially when people (usually heavily laden with path-obstructing baggage) think 'hey! This is a busy spot, let's stop right here and look around for no reason!' It's these kind of people that makes me vary wary of doing anything but walking as fast as possible, so as not to annoy the person behind me. Also, walking in the centre of any given pathway, and not leaving enough room for faster travellers to pass, is sheer ignorance.

Today I learned that many people don't realise wearing a backpack on busy public transport means you are taking up the space of two people, and are consequently annoying enough to warrant me to envisage performing just a tad of violence upon your personage (say, twerking a hair from the back of your neck, then looking away nonchalantly).
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:26 am UTC

That people in FaiD actually like me... Wow.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:30 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Quixotess wrote:I am also very anxious about getting as far ahead from the person behind me as possible, so that I know I'm not slowing them down.
You... do this too? I really hate being so considerate in public places, especially when people (usually heavily laden with path-obstructing baggage) think 'hey! This is a busy spot, let's stop right here and look around for no reason!' It's these kind of people that makes me vary wary of doing anything but walking as fast as possible, so as not to annoy the person behind me. Also, walking in the centre of any given pathway, and not leaving enough room for faster travellers to pass, is sheer ignorance.

Yes. What's more, this hurrying sometimes is counterproductive, because I'll end up stumbling or dropping something or fumbling really badly with my money.

Although, about the pathway thing - lately, when I walk through my campus at night, I realized that I was walking at the very edge of the path when absolutely no one was around. So now I'm working on walking smack in the middle in that situation.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Return to “General”