Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Mmmm, Pi
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:14 am UTC
Location: Brumland, UK

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:Today I learned that trying to teach people stuff about computers over the phone makes you want to HURT THINGS. Going over there and showing them, or better yet, just doing it for them makes things a million times easier, even if it means you'll eventually be annoyed later


So true, oh so true. I hate doing tech support over the phone. Don't like doing it in real life, but it's a lot better then over the phone.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Klapaucius
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Klapaucius » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

I learned that my school's internet filter just decided to block Wikipedia. Reason? "Filed under category 'blogs'."

WIkipedia is a blog and therefore high-schoolers cannot use it.
500%!

User avatar
Actaeus
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:21 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Actaeus » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:38 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Yeah, for us right now it's pre-season track. Luckily it's warm enough here that we never get snow, but we are getting some rain now. I'm trying to go out for pole-vault, so my arms and shoulders are all sore, but at least my legs aren't killing anymore. What do you run?

The mile, and the 5k in the fall (of course).
Today I learned that hot chocolate is a bad idea just before Track workouts, even if the school is giving it out free until 4.
I also learned that "until 4" means "until five minutes before you finish your workout at 3:55". So close!

EDIT:
Klapaucius wrote:I learned that my school's internet filter just decided to block Wikipedia. Reason? "Filed under category 'blogs'."

WIkipedia is a blog and therefore high-schoolers cannot use it.

There is so much wrong with that....
There are reasonable objections to using Wiki as a source for essays (like, it's written by anonymous strangers and thus can't be cited), but that is not one of them. Also, you think they'd realize it's a great information source, if not 100% reliable.

User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:09 am UTC

I learned that quiche is pretty awesome. It's like an omelet pie.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

User avatar
ponzerelli
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:40 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby ponzerelli » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I learned that quiche is pretty awesome. It's like an omelet pie.


That is the best description of quiche I've ever seen...

And I agree, it is awesome.

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: Today I Learned

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

Today I learned that it is stupid to assume that just because I don't work with a single christian, i get to ignore christmas. Why are the jew, the muslim, and the chinese woman i can barely understand all giving me presents? What the fuck. I hate this stupid holiday!
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
Quixotess
No. Cookies.
Posts: 3243
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:26 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Quixotess » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

Aw, any excuse to spend time with your family though, right Meaux? I don't know your family, but who doesn't love their family? Who doesn't want to spend several days with their family, especially the ones who are assigned to be the hosts/hostesses of an enormously stressful party?
Raise up the torch and light the way.

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: Today I Learned

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

I do not have a family. I have an argument. And i don't even have to have THAT until tomorrow!
Stupid Christmas!
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
ethraax
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby ethraax » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I learned that quiche is pretty awesome. It's like an omelet pie.

I never knew how to spell it... I didn't even know what you were talking about until the "omelet pie" thing >.>
Meowgan wrote:It's just like knitting, but with less knitting.

User avatar
Quixotess
No. Cookies.
Posts: 3243
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:26 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Quixotess » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

Ha. I need to come up with something to distract my family if my mom reveals the "low GPA" note I got from college to the extended family.

"Have you forgiven Grampa for abusing you yet, Gramma?"
"Mom won't answer my questions about Uncle Bruce and I think she didn't like him because he was gay."
"The horrible nosebleeds Julie used to get happened because she did them to herself."
"Two months ago Mom tried to stop her boyfriend from breaking up with her by telling him that Shark Week was late, but I guess she's not pregnant after all. Was it menopause, Mom?"
"Hey, Mom and Aunt Sharrie, why don't you tell us about your childhood?"

Then I run.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

User avatar
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature
Posts: 4576
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:37 pm UTC
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

I have been spared having to see the unpleasant portion of my family by the snow. Instead I will probably going on a small vacation to Death Valley!
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

User avatar
Decker
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:22 pm UTC
Location: Western N.Y.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Decker » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

My extended family is incredibly extended (About 1500 miles away) so I don't see them that often. What family that is around here usually just drops by for dinner, so I can eat and then hide in the computer room. I like my family for the most part, but I don't like too many people around me at once.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

User avatar
JayDee
Posts: 3620
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 am UTC
Location: Most livable city in the world.
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby JayDee » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:Today I learned that it is stupid to assume that just because I don't work with a single christian, i get to ignore christmas. Why are the jew, the muslim, and the chinese woman i can barely understand all giving me presents? What the fuck. I hate this stupid holiday!
Yeah, the generic secular family and gifts, santa and snow holiday is taking over Christmas. One day soon you will be seeing Pagan-folk walking up to Christians and going "Ha! Now you know what it's like!"
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Philwelch
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am UTC
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Philwelch » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:Yeah, the generic secular family and gifts, santa and snow holiday is taking over Christmas. One day soon you will be seeing Pagan-folk walking up to Christians and going "Ha! Now you know what it's like!"


Even if the pagans had a time machine, the Christian folk probably wouldn't understand them unless they also happened to be classics majors.

Unless you're talking about neo-paganism, which is more of a modern invention than it is a continuation of ancient paganism (which was centuries out of living memory before neo-pagan movements even started).
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

User avatar
Exotria
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:41 pm UTC
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Exotria » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Today I learned that apparently very little of my family is above trying to guilt me into doing what they want. Not even the sister that I'm usually most similar to. I should go to the Catholic mass I don't believe in so I can be with the family(which, in the pews, would only be one additional person to the norm who I'll be with all day tomorrow anyway) and because "sometimes we have to do things even if we don't feel like doing them or want to do them, because they have to be done." Since when are religious rituals necessities?

Once I get out of this house I'm contacting my parents as little as possible.

Oh, and I learned that apparently my body doesn't protest if I sleep for sixteen hours after staying awake for 23.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
niolosoiale wrote:So which side of the fence would you say I'm on? Why?

The confusing one. I think you should pick a different fence.

Philwelch
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am UTC
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Philwelch » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:49 am UTC

Exotria wrote:Oh, and I learned that apparently my body doesn't protest if I sleep for sixteen hours after staying awake for 23.


You must put your neck into a better position than I usually do, then. Anyone else ever spend entire days walking around with their neck bent sideways because it's sore and stiff?
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

User avatar
Exotria
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:41 pm UTC
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Exotria » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:06 am UTC

I roll over in my sleep a lot. Lots of position variation, see, so I don't get the neck problems. That only comes from laptop in bed... which is frequent.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
niolosoiale wrote:So which side of the fence would you say I'm on? Why?

The confusing one. I think you should pick a different fence.

User avatar
Pizzashark
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:04 am UTC
Location: Fayetteville, AR, USA
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Pizzashark » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:37 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:Today I learned that it is stupid to assume that just because I don't work with a single christian, i get to ignore christmas. Why are the jew, the muslim, and the chinese woman i can barely understand all giving me presents? What the fuck. I hate this stupid holiday!


Wait, what? You're bitching about people giving you stuff? For free, without you asking?

Where in this is anything bad? Even if the gifts suck you can probably return them or trade them for other stuff.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

User avatar
Mmmm, Pi
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:14 am UTC
Location: Brumland, UK

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:43 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:Anyone else ever spend entire days walking around with their neck bent sideways because it's sore and stiff?

Yes, very yes. Although it's usually a result of falling asleep drunk, or a result of going camping.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: Today I Learned

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:44 pm UTC

Some Asshole wrote:
Meaux_Pas wrote:Today I learned that it is stupid to assume that just because I don't work with a single christian, i get to ignore christmas. Why are the jew, the muslim, and the chinese woman i can barely understand all giving me presents? What the fuck. I hate this stupid holiday!


Wait, what? You're bitching about people giving you stuff? For free, without you asking?

Where in this is anything bad? Even if the gifts suck you can probably return them or trade them for other stuff.

Considering I hate Christmas and the whole gift-giving nonsense, yes, I am bitching about people spending money on shit I don't need and didn't ask for.
I don't like receiving gifts, it makes me uncomfortable. And I don't celebrate. Those would be the bad points.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
Jos
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 pm UTC
Location: In ur ___, ___'ing ur ____

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Jos » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:59 pm UTC

seconded! It creates a social akwardenss when gifts don't go off as planned! As when someone didn't want the gift, or any gift at all.
Image
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

apeman5291
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:19 am UTC
Location: Columbia, SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby apeman5291 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:26 am UTC

Today I learned that they ship mandolins with bad strings.
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

User avatar
deLusion`
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby deLusion` » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:56 am UTC

Today, I learned the concept of give and get. It makes perfect sense. Everyone act's horrible in school and gets horrid grades and then they expect there parents to go out and buy them everything. That was the old and ignorant me. But when you begin to actually do good in school and get those grades then if your parents aren't total wankers they will get you whatever you want. I think at least, still in the learning phase. :oops:

User avatar
Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On
Posts: 1469
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 am UTC
Location: Albuquerque, NM.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:01 am UTC

I Learned that Hollandaise Sauce is yummy, and that Christmas Counterstrike is win.

ACU-LP
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:39 pm UTC
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby ACU-LP » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:39 am UTC

That boxing day sales suck.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

User avatar
Bulvox
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:37 pm UTC
Location: Not Bunny
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Bulvox » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

Today I learned that "You can't always get what you want."
Image
See Ya Space Cowboy...

User avatar
Pizzashark
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:04 am UTC
Location: Fayetteville, AR, USA
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Pizzashark » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:Considering I hate Christmas and the whole gift-giving nonsense, yes, I am bitching about people spending money on shit I don't need and didn't ask for.
I don't like receiving gifts, it makes me uncomfortable. And I don't celebrate. Those would be the bad points.


But... free stuff! :(

I'll agree on the whole commercialized gift-giving crap, though. Every time I run into a huge herd of sheeple in Wal-mart when I'm going to get my $20 of groceries for the week, I get brief, intense homicidal urges and often think of eugenics as a good thing.

But then I finally manage to escape and most of that passes. Most of it.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

User avatar
Hoags
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:45 am UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Hoags » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:52 pm UTC

Today I learned that "doodad" is a real word. Huh.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

Yeah, it's what sticks out of a thingamajiggy.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
_Big_Mac_
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:30 pm UTC
Location: Poland

Re: Today I Learned

Postby _Big_Mac_ » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

I learned that engineers sometimes use j instead of i for irrational numbers.

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Zak » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

That "whinge" is actually a word. Huh.
*waggles eyebrows*

User avatar
existential_elevator
The awesomest one!
Posts: 3328
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:31 am UTC
Location: The Ocean of Regret
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Hoags wrote:Today I learned that "doodad" is a real word. Huh.

So is "flibbertigibbet"
There are a lot of satisyingly odd words in the English language.

Today I learned that my parents took me on an easter egg hunt at a castle when I was a toddler.

apeman5291
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:19 am UTC
Location: Columbia, SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby apeman5291 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:02 am UTC

Today I learned that graphite is nature's lubricant.
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

User avatar
suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 am UTC
Location: da aina
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:17 am UTC

....graphite?
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Torvaun » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:27 am UTC

Yeah, graphite. I learned that one from my dad back when I was making Pinewood Derby cars.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 am UTC
Location: da aina
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:33 am UTC

i see. i am now tempted to destroy my drawing pencil to test this on stuff.
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Ian Ex Machina
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:07 pm UTC
Location: Around Cambridge (UK)
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:36 am UTC

Stock Cubes + Rice= Appealing dinner.
So flavourful, I wonder what stock cubes are like on there own.
Image

User avatar
mrbaggins
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:23 am UTC
Location: Wagga, Australia

Re: Today I Learned

Postby mrbaggins » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:37 am UTC

Yeah, it's good stuff.

Got a dodgy lock? Blow graphite powder into it!

It's a dry lube, and it works because it grinds itself down to atom-icular sized particles, which just roll around. Ever rub a pencil over the same piece of paper for a ages? It starts to feel like it's sliding.

Stockcubes taste like salt. Okay to lick one, but by god, don't put a whole one in your mouth
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

apeman5291
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:19 am UTC
Location: Columbia, SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby apeman5291 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:08 am UTC

mrbaggins wrote:Yeah, it's good stuff.

Got a dodgy lock? Blow graphite powder into it!

It's a dry lube, and it works because it grinds itself down to atom-icular sized particles, which just roll around. Ever rub a pencil over the same piece of paper for a ages? It starts to feel like it's sliding.

It also works to lubricate places on stringed instruments where the string would need to slide during tuning and such.
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

Philwelch
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am UTC
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Philwelch » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:08 am UTC

_Big_Mac_ wrote:I learned that engineers sometimes use j instead of i for irrational numbers.


You mean imaginary?
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests