Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Nemphael

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Nemphael » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:12 pm UTC

I didn't really learn it today per se, but I should get a hobby. Something in which I'll leave my house more often, other than for school or shopping. Like... knitting? I did knit before. Knitted clothes for my Pokémon plushies. For instance, I remember giving Pikachu a blue jacket. Not to mention, I gave my Grandpa a scarf~ (Not that my Grandpa is a Pokémon. Or is he...? But knitting doesn't really mean leaving my house... Uhm, but maybe I should take up on Jiu Jutsu (Which I practiced earlier, but quite. Or Tae Kwon Do or Karate?) or shooting (NO, not hunting. Simply... shooting. Targets. Hey, reminds me of SSBM!)?

wst

Postby wst » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:47 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:shooting (NO, not hunting. Simply... shooting. Targets. Hey, reminds me of SSBM!)?
Do it. Most rifle clubs will have club rifles you can use until you become good enough to need your own rifle ;) And, if you shoot fullbore at a decent range (say, 600+ yards), you get one hell of a feeling of power, because you can hear the echo of the sonic boom from buildings etc at the side of the range ;)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:40 pm UTC

wst wrote:
Nemphael wrote:shooting (NO, not hunting. Simply... shooting. Targets. Hey, reminds me of SSBM!)?
Do it. Most rifle clubs will have club rifles you can use until you become good enough to need your own rifle ;) And, if you shoot fullbore at a decent range (say, 600+ yards), you get one hell of a feeling of power, because you can hear the echo of the sonic boom from buildings etc at the side of the range ;)

Yeah, I know. I did it for almost a year, but it got a little boring after a while. Lying on my stomach, shooting targets for an hour, that is. Of course, this was inside during winter, at a 15 meters/50 feet range. Otherwise, they had an outdoor range of 100 meters/330 feet. That used to own. Two hours a week; one hour shooting, one hour of counting shots for the shooters. My average was along 200-225 out of 250.

How about you?

wst

Postby wst » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:
wst wrote:

Yeah, I know. I did it for almost a year, but it got a little boring after a while. Lying on my stomach, shooting targets for an hour, that is. Of course, this was inside during winter, at a 15 meters/50 feet range. Otherwise, they had an outdoor range of 100 meters/330 feet. That used to own. Two hours a week; one hour shooting, one hour of counting shots for the shooters. My average was along 200-225 out of 250.

How about you?
A bit of multi-dicipline for me. I regularly shoot .22 prone at 25 yards, average is 92/100, which is okay :) Fullbore, I was in the Schools Competition (Ashburton) at Bisley, along with 7 others. I was averaging something around 27.3 (out of 35.7). A bit more complicated system for scoring those. I was shooting at 300, 500 and 600 yards for that, with a 7.62. Very fun, but I have *no* fat on my shoulder at all, and I almost cut my eyebrow on the backsight a few times ;) I've heard that if you're lying on a wet poncho while shooting them, you slide backwards from the force of the recoil... :D
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

HarleyQuinn wrote:Never, no matter how adverse your circumstances or stupid your friends, should one ever attempt to drink more than a liter of coca-cola.

I'll be honest, since I've drunk in the past a litre of vodka and coke, not impressed. Sorry.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:43 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
HarleyQuinn wrote:Never, no matter how adverse your circumstances or stupid your friends, should one ever attempt to drink more than a liter of coca-cola.

I'll be honest, since I've drunk in the past a litre of vodka and coke, not impressed. Sorry.

When did this become the "I can drink more of an unhealthy liquid than you" thread?
Today I Learned that the Facebook (fluff)friends app doesn't have any useful discussion threads... C'mon people, I need to know when to bet on a race!
Also, my radish is faster than a flying giraffe.

EDIT: Yay! There's a (fluff)Forum!

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

Sorry, I just don't know a lot about rifles, but wanted to contribute. TIL some things about rifles.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

wst wrote:A bit of multi-dicipline for me. I regularly shoot .22 prone at 25 yards, average is 92/100, which is okay :) Fullbore, I was in the Schools Competition (Ashburton) at Bisley, along with 7 others. I was averaging something around 27.3 (out of 35.7). A bit more complicated system for scoring those. I was shooting at 300, 500 and 600 yards for that, with a 7.62. Very fun, but I have *no* fat on my shoulder at all, and I almost cut my eyebrow on the backsight a few times ;) I've heard that if you're lying on a wet poncho while shooting them, you slide backwards from the force of the recoil... :D

Aah, it was a .22 rifle for me too. The 7.62 sounds like an overkill or something. I don't really know much about guns in general, though, but that kind of force is slightly compelling. Still, you'd be using sniper/binocular?/telescope sights for those lengths, aye? We weren't really using anything high tech, which frankly is a shame. Call of Duty 4 must have spoiled me, I think.

Also, I learned I prefer Batman Beyond/Justice League/Batman (Begins/Dark Knight) over Batman: The Animated Series. The style of drawing, the plot and the Joker... well, so far I kind of don't like it. Except for the fact this Batman uses knockout gas. Why do people disregard knockout gas and just bash in with guns? Gas is faster, cleaner and safer. And probably cheaper?

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:
wst wrote:A bit of multi-dicipline for me. I regularly shoot .22 prone at 25 yards, average is 92/100, which is okay :) Fullbore, I was in the Schools Competition (Ashburton) at Bisley, along with 7 others. I was averaging something around 27.3 (out of 35.7). A bit more complicated system for scoring those. I was shooting at 300, 500 and 600 yards for that, with a 7.62. Very fun, but I have *no* fat on my shoulder at all, and I almost cut my eyebrow on the backsight a few times ;) I've heard that if you're lying on a wet poncho while shooting them, you slide backwards from the force of the recoil... :D

Aah, it was a .22 rifle for me too. The 7.62 sounds like an overkill or something. I don't really know much about guns in general, though, but that kind of force is slightly compelling. Still, you'd be using sniper/binocular?/telescope sights for those lengths, aye?

Not normally, shooting using a telescopic sight is actually much harder than properly zeroed iron sights.

7.62mm is not overkill, the rounds are much more accurate than a .22 or even .223/5.67mm, don't half have a kick to them mind.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

What's the distance a scope gets better than irons?

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:What's the distance a scope gets better than irons?

In theory, most. But the practical use of a tele sight in anything but perfect conditions is difficult, because the sight has to be corrected to the conditions, rather than the shooter making minute adjustments to grip, stance and aim. This is of course assuming use of the same conventions as I'm used to, because different match shooting formats are wildly different, some specify iron only, whereas some would be impossible without a tele.

Edit: I forgot to say that practically, past 550m ish with a human sized target, or 200m with a smaller target card a tele becomes all but neccesary for consistant well aimed hits.

Warpath

Postby Warpath » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Well, technically it was yesterday I learned that putting drywall on the ceiling of your bathroom is a major pain in the butt.

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

Have you sanded the seams yet? That's the really fun* part.

*For some values of "fun", mostly the sarcastic ones.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:31 pm UTC

Today I learned that #faid can be a scary place.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:Also, I learned I prefer Batman Beyond/Justice League/Batman (Begins/Dark Knight) over Batman: The Animated Series. The style of drawing, the plot and the Joker... well, so far I kind of don't like it. Except for the fact this Batman uses knockout gas. Why do people disregard knockout gas and just bash in with guns? Gas is faster, cleaner and safer. And probably cheaper?

Maybe in cartoons. I remember this incident in Russia a few years back where they had a hostage situation and used knockout gas. That ended up killing like half the hostages. Knockout gas is not always non-lethal.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

Philwelch wrote:
Nemphael wrote:Also, I learned I prefer Batman Beyond/Justice League/Batman (Begins/Dark Knight) over Batman: The Animated Series. The style of drawing, the plot and the Joker... well, so far I kind of don't like it. Except for the fact this Batman uses knockout gas. Why do people disregard knockout gas and just bash in with guns? Gas is faster, cleaner and safer. And probably cheaper?

Maybe in cartoons. I remember this incident in Russia a few years back where they had a hostage situation and used knockout gas. That ended up killing like half the hostages. Knockout gas is not always non-lethal.

Today I learned... Hm, nice to note. Then plan B - flooding the whole area with salt water and disable everyone with a weak current.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

Today I Learned that in certain weather conditions, it is appropriate to shovel snow in a t-shirt. Which I did.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:Then plan B - flooding the whole area with salt water and disable everyone with a weak current.
Highly impractical for so many reasons.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:40 am UTC

KrikkitWars (or anybody else that might know really): What is full-bore exactly?

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:53 am UTC

Today I Learned that The Iron Giant is a great film that everyone should watch.
I also learned that I need something better to do with my weekends.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Warpath

Postby Warpath » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:14 am UTC

Actaeus wrote:Today I Learned that in certain weather conditions, it is appropriate to shovel snow in a t-shirt. Which I did.

Yep. Definitely could have done that in my area also.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:27 am UTC

I've sunbathed in T-shirt and trousers before. But that was in the Alps.

Steve Zissou

Postby Steve Zissou » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 am UTC

Today I learned how to finally access Hulu, ABC, NBC, BBC, etc from Canada! Huzzah!
The Horrible Fanfare - A Journalist's blog.
bigglesworth wrote:Steve Zissou! Steve Zissou!
Will you do the fandango?

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:25 am UTC

Nemphael wrote:I didn't really learn it today per se, but I should get a hobby. Something in which I'll leave my house more often, other than for school or shopping. Like... knitting? I did knit before. Knitted clothes for my Pokémon plushies. For instance, I remember giving Pikachu a blue jacket. Not to mention, I gave my Grandpa a scarf~ (Not that my Grandpa is a Pokémon. Or is he...? But knitting doesn't really mean leaving my house... Uhm, but maybe I should take up on Jiu Jutsu (Which I practiced earlier, but quite. Or Tae Kwon Do or Karate?) or shooting (NO, not hunting. Simply... shooting. Targets. Hey, reminds me of SSBM!)?

Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34067

I still haven't picked one. For example this weekend I - screwed around online, watched lots of TV, played some video games, read about 10 pages in 2 books, screwed around online a bunch more, got extremely drunk off of not much alcohol, and avoided going to the grocery store. Accomplishments: 0, Fun stuff: 0, Stupid wastes of time: lots.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

laserbeen

Postby laserbeen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:53 am UTC

Meowgan wrote:@Ninjacore: It's from an awesome Aussie TV show called Good Game.

Today I learnt that Good Game, Good News Week and the new Underbelly are all on at the same time tonight - and I won't even be home. Now I have to decide which to record.
Goodbye.

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:01 am UTC

Good Game.

I have lost my love for Good News Week.

EDIT: I'm sure there's a VODcast for Good Game and there might be one for GNW. I think you should record Underbelly and download GG and GNW.

But, I would record GG.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:05 am UTC

A friend I haven't heard from in a few years (joined the Peace Corps) is now living in Vegas as a "disease investigator." On the one hand.. "ew", on the other it sounds kind of interesting.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

laserbeen

Postby laserbeen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:45 am UTC

Meowgan wrote:Good Game.

I have lost my love for Good News Week.

EDIT: I'm sure there's a VODcast for Good Game and there might be one for GNW. I think you should record Underbelly and download GG and GNW.

But, I would record GG.

Yeah.. do you know if they're showing new episodes of GG or repeats? There's nothing on the ABC website about any new episodes.
Goodbye.

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:04 am UTC

I don't know. I don't have abc2 anymore.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:12 am UTC

I learned that going to be at 7:00AM will cause me to wake up at 4:00PM that same day.
多么现在棕色母牛?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:48 am UTC

TV Guide says Good Game tonight is not a repeat (no "(R)" on the "Classifications" line).

Also, while looking that up, I learned that Scrapheap Challenge is back on... Yay!

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:35 am UTC

I learned that after being away from work for 5 weeks, I can still come in and remember everything! I was worries.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:01 am UTC

How to crochet.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:06 am UTC

I learned that it simply isn't possible to share a single bed comfortably, without at least a double duvet.

Surgery wrote:KrikkitWars (or anybody else that might know really): What is full-bore exactly?

Its the name for rifles of a larger caliber when applied to competitive shooting; 7.62mm NATO/.308 WInchester/.30-06 Springfield is the normal caliber for a rifle to be full bore, .50 BMG and .510 Whisper are technically full bore, but tend to be seperated into their own competitions as they are potentially accurate to several thousand yards, and the shooters themselves are rather rare.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:27 am UTC

Today I learned that not everyone appreciates a certain thing that everyone plays.... and they think its immature.
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:29 am UTC

Hit3k wrote:Today I learned that not everyone appreciates a certain thing that everyone plays.... and they think its immature.

Dammit, I LOST THE G.AME!

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:34 am UTC

Oh now that's just terrible. I just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Today I also learned to love.

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:34 am UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:
Hit3k wrote:Today I learned that not everyone appreciates a certain thing that everyone plays.... and they think its immature.

Dammit, I LOST THE G.AME!

aaaaaaaaah crud. Starting again!

Today i also learned: Crud, excellent expletive
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:43 am UTC

First, my favorite video game columnist at GameSpy is leaving his post to go work at Blizzard. Second, I had an account on the GameSpy fora since 2003 but had never used it.
Last edited by benjhuey on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
多么现在棕色母牛?

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:45 am UTC

Translation: benjhuey os a sockpuppet account. :shock:

Return to “General”