Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mysidic

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Mysidic » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:27 am UTC

I learned that my theatre requires me to be 21 to bring in others to R-rated films. No watchmen for me.
""Thou shalt not lie": in other words, beware, my dear philosopher, of telling the truth." ~Nietzche

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:14 am UTC

I learned posting from my shiny new iPhone is actually pretty easy :)
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:51 am UTC

Mysidic wrote:I learned that my theatre requires me to be 21 to bring in others to R-rated films. No watchmen for me.

:(
ACU-LP wrote:Today I learned that Watchmen was more....brutal than I had previously anticipated (I have never read the originals)

Read the graphic novel!
Eesh.

From what I've heard, the movie was much more violent than the book. But then again, this is Snyder.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:17 am UTC

Actaeus wrote:
Mysidic wrote:I learned that my theatre requires me to be 21 to bring in others to R-rated films. No watchmen for me.
Heh. Its only rated MA15+ here. Which is restricted to those over 15 unless they have an adult (a person over 18) with them.
ACU-LP wrote:Today I learned that Watchmen was more....brutal than I had previously anticipated (I have never read the originals)

Read the graphic novel!
Eesh.
From what I've heard, the movie was much more violent than the book. But then again, this is Snyder.
Will do. And twas indeed.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:42 am UTC

Today, I learned that if you try to fix your sleep schedule by sleeping a few hours one day to get to bed at a decent time the next, it quite simply does not work.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:15 pm UTC

Today I learnt how difficult it is to explain to octogenarians how to use a full home entertainment system with universal remote over the phone. However I succeeded!
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:32 pm UTC

I learned about the knitting fairy.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

Does it give you wool?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Meowgan

Postby Meowgan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:47 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Does it give you wool?
Yes she does.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:12 pm UTC

Dr. Canadian Ninja wrote:Today, I learned that if you try to fix your sleep schedule by sleeping a few hours one day to get to bed at a decent time the next, it quite simply does not work.

I learned some time ago that skipping sleep, then going to bed early the next day worked pretty well*. It also made me draw fanfic of Katara and bother people on MSN.

Today, my uncle appeared at the door with a 2 000 page book; a catalog of electronic components. He then asked me to read through it. FML.
Nah, not really; we're planning on building something, possibly to sell on the net. Whoo~ ^o^

*Use with caution.

Munzapoppa

Postby Munzapoppa » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

Today I learned how confusing daylight savings time can be before you realize you forgot to change your clocks.

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

[list=][/list]
Munzapoppa wrote:Today I learned how confusing daylight savings time can be before you realize you forgot to change your clocks.

I learned that because everything is so automated I didn't know it was daylight savings time until I read your post
:D
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

the tree

Postby the tree » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:
Dr. Canadian Ninja wrote:Today, I learned that if you try to fix your sleep schedule by sleeping a few hours one day to get to bed at a decent time the next, it quite simply does not work.

I learned some time ago that skipping sleep, then going to bed early the next day worked pretty well*.
I keep on intending to do that but I've been putting it off. Actually, I need to do it now, this week is kind of crucial for being awake. Thankyou for persuading me to do that tonight,

Nemphael wrote:*Use with caution.
That has never helped anyone ever.

Today I learned nothing, of importance, because my sleep schedule is so fucked that I'm still in bed.

ethraax

Postby ethraax » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

Today I learned that I don't learn very much on days I don't go to school.
Meowgan wrote:It's just like knitting, but with less knitting.

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

Munzapoppa wrote:Today I learned how confusing daylight savings time can be before you realize you forgot to change your clocks.
Fuck! I learned that now, too far into the afternoon!
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

peace cat

Postby peace cat » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

Today I learned that my kitten's new hobby is harrassing the betta fish.
Nothing to see here.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

peace cat wrote:Today I learned that my kitten's new hobby is harrassing the betta fish.

My dog always tries to eat the betta fish food. I'm like, "You bully! You get 2 cups of kibble every day and all he has is a little pinch. Aren't you guilty?"

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

Zeroignite wrote:
Fuck! I learned that now, too far into the afternoon!
I learnt the internet can make me think the who state forgot to change their clocks.

CJTnoir

Postby CJTnoir » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

Today I learned that you can find Biblical themes in anything. This includes Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. Thanks, cyberpunk lit class.
...that's awkward.

BigBoss

Postby BigBoss » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:42 am UTC

Today I learned that the rooster has become more aggressive.
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

Tampons could be used to stop a nosebleed! - Tillian

Meowgan

Postby Meowgan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:11 am UTC

I am far more productive when my laptop is broken.

I clean when I'm sad.

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:33 am UTC

Today I learned to my disappointment that I'm far more productive when I write without music on, which is crap because I like to listen to my music all the time.
The first one to fall asleep when the revolution comes.
Cheese wrote:We should never talk ever again. Ever.

michaelandjimi wrote:"No, cease your sexual activities! The communists will invade!"

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:53 am UTC

I learned that the reason I don't say "no" (when I later knew I should have) is because it never crosses my mind.
多么现在棕色母牛?

howardh

Postby howardh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:26 am UTC

BMW787 wrote:I learned that because everything is so automated I didn't know it was daylight savings time until I read your post
:D

That

Today, I learned that if I force all though out of my head and hold myself still, I can fall asleep within half an hour of going to bed and get up at 5 a.m. fully awake.
What am I going to do with my 2 extra hours today...
meow

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:00 am UTC

Today I learned : as soon as I read the words 'daylight savings time' I think I've forgotten to chagne my clocks and I'm an hour late/early for work. Then I notice it's not UK people are talking about
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:29 am UTC

Today I learned that wearing the stand back I'm going to try science shirt, though makes most people smile, makes the train guard give me a dirty look and then watch me as if I'm suspicious.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:36 am UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Today I learned that wearing the stand back I'm going to try science shirt, though makes most people smile, makes the train guard give me a dirty look and then watch me as if I'm suspicious.

I was sitting on a station last tuesday and just sat there watching the trains go by. I probably looked really suspicious on camera not getting on any trains or moving for half an hour. I've been meaning to buy one of those shirts as well....

Today I learned I actually know everything thats been covered in my lectures so far. (I didn't have to go in today so I did some practice questions from my textbooks)
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:40 am UTC

Hit3k wrote:
ACU-LP wrote:Today I learned that wearing the stand back I'm going to try science shirt, though makes most people smile, makes the train guard give me a dirty look and then watch me as if I'm suspicious.
I was sitting on a station last tuesday and just sat there watching the trains go by. I probably looked really suspicious on camera not getting on any trains or moving for half an hour. I've been meaning to buy one of those shirts as well....
Today I learned I actually know everything thats been covered in my lectures so far. (I didn't have to go in today so I did some practice questions from my textbooks)
Indeed that can be the case, but sometimes there'll be that tiny comment made by your lecturer that is really important.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:27 pm UTC

howardh wrote:I force all though out of my head
Now that's impressive. I commend you.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Munzapoppa

Postby Munzapoppa » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

Today I learned that my school's trying to keep us from walking to class in a certain wing of the school after lunch (not sure why, my teacher said something about people being late). I hate my school and how controlling it is (now we can't even walk to class the way we want to? What the hell?). Luckily, once the school year ends, I'm out of it and on to high school!

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

Munzapoppa wrote:Today I learned that my school's trying to keep us from walking to class in a certain wing of the school after lunch (not sure why, my teacher said something about people being late). I hate my school and how controlling it is (now we can't even walk to class the way we want to? What the hell?). Luckily, once the school year ends, I'm out of it and on to high school!

At my high school, you had to go to the Lecture Hall (horrible noisy cramped room) if your teacher wasn't there for class. The school couldn't afford subs, due to budget cuts.
Fortunately, second-half sophomores and above are allowed to have free blocks instead. Freshman and first-semester sophomores would clearly sneak out of school, steal cars and burn things if they were trusted on their own.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

Today I learned I'm getting close to 3000 posts.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

Today I learnt there are such things as cheap textbooks. 3 textbooks, £20 each (compared to £35-ish normally) yay! Shiny textbooks make me happy ^.^
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Munzapoppa

Postby Munzapoppa » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:09 pm UTC

Actaeus wrote:
Munzapoppa wrote:Today I learned that my school's trying to keep us from walking to class in a certain wing of the school after lunch (not sure why, my teacher said something about people being late). I hate my school and how controlling it is (now we can't even walk to class the way we want to? What the hell?). Luckily, once the school year ends, I'm out of it and on to high school!

At my high school, you had to go to the Lecture Hall (horrible noisy cramped room) if your teacher wasn't there for class. The school couldn't afford subs, due to budget cuts.
Fortunately, second-half sophomores and above are allowed to have free blocks instead. Freshman and first-semester sophomores would clearly sneak out of school, steal cars and burn things if they were trusted on their own.

Well, I can understand why your school does that (even though you're right about the absurdity of what school thinks we'll do if we're not supervised), but my school is banning walking in that wing because they think we'll be late to class, even though it's possible for people to walk through that wing without being late to the class they are going to. Hell, I go through that wing almost every day now on my way from lunch, and I'm one of the first few people people to arrive in my class. I should find out more about this, and maybe find a way to convince the school to change it.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

Today I learned that I can write coherently for about a page on Roman Neoteric poetry, but I took a guess at when the damn thing was founded.

Midterm fail. OTOH, one was worth 1 point and the other was worth 13.333, so I suppose it's a bit of a win.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

That sounds like... Hogwarts! You must investigate all (trap) doors in that wing at once.

Today I learnt to always charge my laptop before leaving home.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

Today I learned that a goldfish needs like a 10 gallon tank of water to be happy and not die of ammonia poisoning from their own poop (it could have been two and I misheard, but I'm pretty sure she said ten). And that the loud girl in my suite apparently knows a lot about taking care of pet fish, which is pretty cool.

And that I really want to take my roommate's newly acquired goldfish away from him. Because I think he's not going to take very good care of it and it's going to die (esp. if it keeps living in the tiny, tiny jar-bowl thing it's in now). And it's cute. Aw, now I'm sad.

UPDATE: My roommate gave the fish to the loud (but nice) girl, so now it's safe and I can be happy knowing it will live a long and happy life. Also, the 10 gallon tank was the new one she bought, which makes a lot more sense than one little fish requiring ten gallons. I could see it requiring 2, though. Or maybe I'm just crazy.
Last edited by Wolf on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:46 am UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:Today I learnt there are such things as cheap textbooks. 3 textbooks, £20 each (compared to £35-ish normally) yay! Shiny textbooks make me happy ^.^

Text book publishing is such a scam. Why the crap do you need a new edition of a calculus book? Did basic integration suddenly change in 2 years? I wish I was motivated enough to start a non-profit textbook company. I know there's crap like that on the web, but I don't think there is a company that actually prints textbooks for use in the classroom.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:37 am UTC

Cheap textbooks:

1. Always google the ISBN.
2. Editions produced for use overseas are usually cheaper.

Those two tips alone have saved me hundreds of dollars.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

AmyShackles

Postby AmyShackles » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:03 am UTC

Today I learned that the majority of English-speaking countries that produce aluminium (aluminum) would call it aluminum.

Damn it.

Stupid argument. Grrr.

Edit: The majority of aluminum that is produced in English-speaking countries is produced in countries that spell it "aluminum". Thank you, boyfriend fact-checker, Mr. WinnerOfArgument.

Return to “General”