Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

It's Shro, so Imma go with yes, she does. And now we wait for her to drop a Science bomb on your head.

'Cause it's Shro, and that's what she does. Science Bombs.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:59 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:'Cause it's Shro, and that's what she does. Science Bombs.

I welcome education.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:21 pm UTC

You have to ask nicely for science bombs. They take work, and if people are annoying about it, I'm liable to get snarky.

My format is always the same: start out with some basics, ask questions as needed. Also, technically, I am kind of a citation in and of myself.

Your brain needs energy to work. Period. Details are unimportant. If you are not getting the energy it needs, it will not work the way it's supposed to. We are not taking about levels of cognitive ability vs. levels of nourishment, although that would be an interesting experiment because we could make a pretty graph. It's purely about if your brain is getting the energy it needs to do what it does. The brain needs a higher proportion of fuel in the human body that other vertebrates. Our brains just have a very large energy demand. This energy is usually used in restoring action potentials in the neurons of the brain. The level of energy that your brain needs overall doesn't really change over time, but the energy usage in separate parts of the brain compared to others are the basis of some of the functional imaging techniques we have today.

I don't really need citations for the things you say I need citations for, because we know what happens when the brain's source of energy-(switching to blood here- blood is the thing that carries the nutrients and oxygen- so blood is thus the carrier of "energy") is blocked - this is known as cerebral or brain ischemia. Also known as a stroke. What do we know from this phenomenon? We know that a very short interruption (about a minute) in the blood flow into the brain causes the tissue to die. We can conclude from this that an uninterrupted blood supply is very important for brain function.

We know that the blood carries nutrients that the body has metabolized in some way from one area of the body to another. The brain can only use energy in the form of glucose. If you don't have glucose in your blood stream, you don't have fuel available for your brain. Your body has different ways of getting glucose, the most obvious is the diet. If glucose isn't available because you're not eating, the body will hit up its glucose (actually glycogen) stores in the liver and release some into the blood so the brain can have the glucose it needs. After the liver store, the body hits up fat stores and the muscle. It can't use them the way they are, so there are lots of biological pathways to get the molecule storing the energy into a molecular form that the brain can use (only glucose!- in case you want to know why, it's because only glucose (among the energy providing molecules) can cross the blood-brain barrier). So , if your body somehow cannot provide the glucose that the brain needs to function, it's not going to function. Under cases of starvation, your body has a back up plan in the form of ketone bodies. It can use these molecules, metabolized from fat, as fuel. This isn't enough to supply the brain during starvation, so the body starts breaking down its own proteins, which the primary source of is muscle. If you are not eating, your brain WILL STEAL YOUR MEAT FOR ITS FOOD, it is that important that the brain gets fuel.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:51 am UTC

I love you, Shro. You should knock your husband down and put makeup on him.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:09 am UTC

Shro wrote:If you are not eating, your brain WILL STEAL YOUR MEAT FOR ITS FOOD, it is that important that the brain gets fuel.
Wait, am I reading this right? If you don't eat enough, your brain will eat you?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:27 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Shro wrote:If you are not eating, your brain WILL STEAL YOUR MEAT FOR ITS FOOD, it is that important that the brain gets fuel.
Wait, am I reading this right? If you don't eat enough, your brain will eat you?

In Soviet Russian Zombie Apocalypse, Brains eat you! :lol:

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:36 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:

It's an evolutionary response. If your body keeps your brain going, you're more likely to be able to use your brain to find a source of food that would then lead to your survival. This is why there is muscle wasting in a starvation response.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis

I made this thing:

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:00 am UTC

Shro wrote:If you are not eating, your brain WILL STEAL YOUR MEAT FOR ITS FOOD

Aha, but there we have my question. Does the brain use more energy in "autophagy mode" ("shit, need food, fast, THINK") or in "regular mode"?

What I was contesting was the "you are less intelligent when you starve". I already agree on that starving is bad.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:15 pm UTC

I've lost too many of my posts not to be bitchy in this post, apologies in advance. I'm still open to questions, and will post more interesting things about this subject if people want.
Menacing Spike wrote:What I was contesting was the "you are less intelligent when you starve". I already agree on that starving is bad.

Why is starving bad? Starvation makes you dead. Your brain doesn't work when you're dead. You are less intelligent when your brain isn't working. Therefore: Starvation makes you less intelligent.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2519065/
Last edited by Shro on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

I made this thing:

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

isn't intellegence related to knowing things? i don't think starvation would inherently make you stop knowing as many things. you might have trouble accessing that knowlege, but i don't know that that makes you less intelligent. i mean, a really intelligent person who gets drunk doesn't become less intelligent, they just become less able to access that intelligence. seems like the thing that's being argued about here.

starvation would probably make you much less likely to win at a spelling bee but not because you're less intelligent, but because your brain is EXTREMELY concerned with something more important than spelling.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

roband

Postby roband » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

Not drinking water makes you die. All the time you're not actively consuming water, you're getting stupider.

TIL.

HOLD THE FUCK ON. That's why dolphins are so clever.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:isn't intellegence related to knowing things? i don't think starvation would inherently make you stop knowing as many things. you might have trouble accessing that knowlege, but i don't know that that makes you less intelligent. i mean, a really intelligent person who gets drunk doesn't become less intelligent, they just become less able to access that intelligence. seems like the thing that's being argued about here.

starvation would probably make you much less likely to win at a spelling bee but not because you're less intelligent, but because your brain is EXTREMELY concerned with something more important than spelling.

I'd actually suggest that intelligence is related to processing information, not just information retention. Spatial processing, memory recall, information analysis, pattern recognition - "Do I remember where I last saw food? I saw food in a couple of places two days ago; which one is still likely to have food? Can I get to the food before starving? Are there competitors who are going to steal my food?" That's the sign of a healthier brain. A brain low on food says "Where I find food now?"
I looked out across the river today …

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:12 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:isn't intellegence related to knowing things?
No? At least, most definitions I've read have it as a capacity to know things quickly, not current knowledge. Someone with a good memory is not intelligent, whereas someone who can work with something new and learn of it's function based on observation and prior data is intelligent.

I mean, I suppose it's related to knowing things in the same way that shoe size is related to walking speed.

Point being that when you're impaired, you're less able to use your prior experiences to make notes of the current situation, you're less able to formulate new plans based on new data, and you're less able to make note of significant facts around you. So if starvation leads to brain impairment, you're less intelligent.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:25 pm UTC

Shro wrote:Why is starving bad? Starvation makes you dead.

Oh shit! I stopped eating rice to type this po

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:27 pm UTC

Holy shit, Menacing Spike is Wally West.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:27 pm UTC

At least he managed to fall on the tab and Enter keys as he died.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:11 pm UTC

Starvation is not not eating.

Fasting = not eating
Malnutrition = http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001441/
Starvation = extreme form of malnutrition

If you want to delve into the world of research, you can search for cognitive impairments in malnourished children or anorexia patients. Calorie restriction diets try to restrict calories without being deficient in nutrients, so your body isn't starved.

If you want a study with people trying to lose weight: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 5306000286

But long term, the effects don't seem to last: http://www.uiteigenervaring.nl/Op_dieet ... _women.pdf

Better nourished children do better in school: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2700001183

Calorie restriction actually increases lifespan and memory. This is NOT THE SAME AS A STARVATION DIET. In fact, it's kind of interesting how this might happen:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2667255/
Last edited by Shro on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

I made this thing:

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

Shro wrote:Starvation is not not eating.

Fasting = not eating
Malnutrition = http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001441/
Starvation = extreme form of malnutrition

Ah, good. Indeed, starvation doesn't mean death (I was going to make you a Java applet or something). My question was: while starving people are indeed on the royal road to Being Dead Land, do you have a citation proposing that they are less intelligent than they would be while nourished correctly?

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:37 pm UTC

I made this thing:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:41 pm UTC

So far, the studies I'm finding are long term effects on intellectual capacity of malnourished children, like this one.

Most of the other studies I'm seeing discuss how the body starts ripping itself apart to keep the brain functioning, but nothing about measuring the brain's ability to work aka Intelligence Capacity.

There's this, of which I've just read the abstract that states "Fasting had an adverse effect on the accuracy of responses in problem solving, but it had a beneficial effect on immediate recall in short-term memory."

Which would imply overall performance is diminished while it's enhanced in one particular area.

And this study which notes "These findings provide evidence for localized brain dysfunction in anorexia nervosa that only partially normalizes with weight gain."

Want me to keep looking?

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:43 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Ah, good. Indeed, starvation doesn't mean death (I was going to make you a Java applet or something). My question was: while starving people are indeed on the royal road to Being Dead Land, do you have a citation proposing that they are less intelligent than they would be while nourished correctly?

The best starvation study I'm aware of is the Minnesota Starvation Experiment carried out in 1944-45 as a way to gather data to guide Allied famine relief efforts in Europe. I can't be bothered to go dig up a copy of the 1,300 page final report from the experiment right now, but the wikipedia page about it contains this very interesting statement: "The participants reported a decline in concentration, comprehension and judgment capabilities, although the standardized tests administered showed no actual signs of diminished capacity." There's no citation, so I can't verify this, but if true, it would suggest while starvation causes all sorts of mental problems, a decrease in intelligence (depending on how you define intelligence) is not actually one of them.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:46 pm UTC

Shro wrote:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2519065/

I meant less intelligent while starving, not on the long term.

SecondTalon wrote:Want me to keep looking?

Well, if you have the time; it's not vital or anything.

There's no citation

I can't find the original text either.
Last edited by Menacing Spike on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:52 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Shro wrote:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2519065/

I meant less intelligent while starving, not on the long term.

Starvation is longer term. Starvation happens when there is a period of malnutrition, which is what the study is about. You realize the ethical implications of the study you really want, right? That's kind of why we have to approach this problem with the information we do have.

I made this thing:

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:04 pm UTC

Shro wrote: You realize the ethical implications of the study you really want, right? That's kind of why we have to approach this problem with the information we do have.

This experiment has already been done.

Ah, the good old days, when men were men and psychiatrists weren't wimps about little things like "inflicting severe and potentially permanent mental and physical harm on their human test subjects."

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:48 pm UTC

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8589783

I hate citation wars, mostly because it takes the interesting out of a conversation really fast. Yeah, make sharing my knowledge with you more like homework and less like a social experience, that will totally make me want to share MORE!

I made this thing:

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:28 pm UTC

Too bad it doesn't work the other way. Then that huge amount of pizza I ate for lunch would super charge my brain, instead of upsetting my stomach. On the up side, it was homemade pizza, and delicious.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:31 pm UTC

Also: Let's quit the whole "not long term" bullshit, shall we? Starvation is a process that can last many months in an obese person. That is what fat is for, you know, easily mobilizable energy reserves that the body can use when glucose is not available from the diet or the liver stores. We're not talking about diminished brain function 2 hours after a meal or anything. What I am trying to prove to you, in the annoying form of providing citations, has been extensively researched and documented. If you do not wish to use the word starvation to mean what it actually means, then forget it, we're arguing about different shit, and I'm not spending my energy untangling your misconceptions. So let me rephrase my original "will answer questions" statement. I will answer any questions that demonstrate a reasonable attempt to learn the background material relevant to the very information heavy, vocabulary dependent topic.

I made this thing:

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:30 pm UTC

Shro wrote:Also: Let's quit the whole "not long term" bullshit, shall we? Starvation is a process that can last many months in an obese person. That is what fat is for, you know, easily mobilizable energy reserves that the body can use when glucose is not available from the diet or the liver stores. We're not talking about diminished brain function 2 hours after a meal or anything. What I am trying to prove to you, in the annoying form of providing citations, has been extensively researched and documented. If you do not wish to use the word starvation to mean what it actually means, then forget it, we're arguing about different shit, and I'm not spending my energy untangling your misconceptions. So let me rephrase my original "will answer questions" statement. I will answer any questions that demonstrate a reasonable attempt to learn the background material relevant to the very information heavy, vocabulary dependent topic.

You can't rely purely on your fat stores for particularly long. You need electrolytes and vitamins (the running low of which is a Bad Thing). However, supplemented with that, you can pretty much subsist until you run out of fat. I think there was even an experiment where some guy did just that for like a year or some such.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

ApexPredator

Postby ApexPredator » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:36 am UTC

Shro wrote:Also: Let's quit the whole "not long term" bullshit, shall we? Starvation is a process that can last many months in an obese person. That is what fat is for, you know, easily mobilizable energy reserves that the body can use when glucose is not available from the diet or the liver stores. We're not talking about diminished brain function 2 hours after a meal or anything. What I am trying to prove to you, in the annoying form of providing citations, has been extensively researched and documented. If you do not wish to use the word starvation to mean what it actually means, then forget it, we're arguing about different shit, and I'm not spending my energy untangling your misconceptions. So let me rephrase my original "will answer questions" statement. I will answer any questions that demonstrate a reasonable attempt to learn the background material relevant to the very information heavy, vocabulary dependent topic.

The piece of advice that can be extracted from this statement, if I could take that piece of advice and then ingrain it in every person I ever meet I would consider my life a success.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:55 am UTC

ApexPredator wrote:The piece of advice that can be extracted from this statement, if I could take that piece of advice and then ingrain it in every person I ever meet I would consider my life a success.

Among her answers, a grand total of one citation was related to my question, the rest was beside the point, bitchin', or mockin'. That is not an incentive to express oneself clearly.

ApexPredator

Postby ApexPredator » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:22 am UTC

The sentiment in itself was what I was expressing agreement with regardless of the quality of the facts she presented and the statements she made.

I for one managed to pull together the facts she presented and the reasoning she produced and ended up with a reasonable conclusion. You haven't done anything but complain about what is presented. You could bring some citation of your own and some reasoned argument instead of just saying that everyone is wrong and needs to cite more.

From an engineering perspective it makes sense that the level of performance of your brain will drop while experiencing starvation. As with any system it requires fuel and specific levels of energy to continue to function at it's best. Also it will require the right amount of raw materials to continue maintenance. During starvation you experience a lack of all these materials and fuels and this causes a drop in your brain function ergo you become less intelligent and logical and more irrational.

That is how I see it anyhow. Decrease in fuel = Decrease in performance.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:48 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
ApexPredator wrote:The piece of advice that can be extracted from this statement, if I could take that piece of advice and then ingrain it in every person I ever meet I would consider my life a success.

Among her answers, a grand total of one citation was related to my question, the rest was beside the point, bitchin', or mockin'. That is not an incentive to express oneself clearly.

Did You Learn? : If someone is trying to teach you and you purposefully misconstrue or misuse words, the person will stop trying to teach you because you obviously don't give a shit.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:20 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:

Did You Learn? : If someone is trying to teach you and you purposefully misconstrue or misuse words, the person will stop trying to teach you because you obviously don't give a shit.

Given the topic of this thread, there is a disappointing lack of learning on Menacing Spike's part today.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:08 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Did You Learn? : If someone is trying to teach you and you purposefully misconstrue or misuse words, the person will stop trying to teach you because you obviously don't give a shit.

So it's her right to be callous and not mine?

I mean, the study firechicago referenced was pretty much spot-on, and he didn't seem to have difficulties understanding the question. If my vague wording offends Science Girl so much, why not just move on?

I mean fuck, it's like talking to gcc with -Wall on.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:27 pm UTC

I don't see where citations even come into it. It makes sense, given a basic knowledge of physiology. The brain is an organ. Organs require energy to function. Reducing the amount of energy, ergo, reduces the capacity to function. In the case of a brain, a reduced capacity to function equates roughly to a drop in overall intelligence.

Starvation makes you less intelligent in the same way as consumption of alcohol or use of most any depressant drug makes you less intelligent: reducing brain function. Also notable: brain function is reduced during sleep, and I'd say an argument could be made for a temporary drop in functional intelligence during sleep.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

roband

Postby roband » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

I really want to post "You're mum's an organ" but I won't.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

roband wrote:I really want to post "You're mum's an organ" but I won't.

I really want to post "your*" but I won't.

I'm now making clear that it is my intention to leave this thread for tonight, or until I've gotten the sillies out of my system well enough to make good posts.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:41 pm UTC

Hahahahaha. What is wrong with me? I must be more tired than I realise.

Damn, that's annoyed me.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:58 pm UTC

roband wrote:Hahahahaha. What is wrong with me? I must be more tired than I realise.

Damn, that's annoyed me.

perhaps you should eat something
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

roband

Postby roband » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

Return to “General”