Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: Today I Learned

Postby addams » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:20 am UTC

It is, like, no grand design at all.
Yet; So many amazing things happen.

It looks purposeful.
How could it not?

The perfect shape.
God must have been thinking ahead.

It is all a simple misunderstanding.
The Cosmic Comedy.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:11 am UTC

Today I learned that a duck can father a chicken. Today, I also learned that people will absolutely FREAK OUT if their standards for nature are not upheld.

And the day is just starting.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:Today I learned that a duck can father a chicken. Today, I also learned that people will absolutely FREAK OUT if their standards for nature are not upheld.

Wait what? Ducks can mate with chickens? You got a citation for that?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:Today I learned that a duck can father a chicken. Today, I also learned that people will absolutely FREAK OUT if their standards for nature are not upheld.

citation needed found
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:

citation needed found

So when people ask, "Which came first the chicken or the egg?" I should answer, "the duck"? :mrgreen:

addams

Postby addams » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Krealr wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:

citation needed found

So when people ask, "Which came first the chicken or the egg?" I should answer, "the duck"? :mrgreen:

How Zen of you.

I learned something.
What you know is much more interesting.

Spoiler:
I learned, I have been enculturated to think Dogs without collars are naked.
Cats without collars are not naked.

A person with nothing on is naked.
Like a Dog, if it puts on a collar;
Then, it is dressed.

But; Not always.
Some people Need more clothing than that.

Thermal protection and (jeeze) "My Eyes! My Eyes!"
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

Today I learned, yet again, that g++ errors are very cryptic, up to the point where dragging the errors one by one to google is required.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

TIL gundogs are not nearly as cool as they sound.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

TIL Sean "Samwise Gamgee" Astin is the (adopted) son of John "Gomez Addams" Astin.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:TIL gundogs are not nearly as cool as they sound.
Politely disagree. A well-trained gundog is pretty impressive.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Amariel

Postby Amariel » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:29 am UTC

Today I learned that when I take a nap in the middle of the day, I actually feel worse when I wake up.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:45 am UTC

Amariel wrote:Today I learned that when I take a nap in the middle of the day, I actually feel worse when I wake up.

Yes, that generally happens if you wake up in the middle of a sleep cycle. What you are supposed to do is either take a 20 minute power nap after drinking some coffee, or sleep for 1 full sleep cycle (roughly 1 hour and 30 minutes). If you wake up in the middle, you will feel a bit groggy. Regardless, once the grogginess wears off, you should feel less tired.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:48 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:TIL gundogs are not nearly as cool as they sound.
Politely disagree. A well-trained gundog is pretty impressive.

Was expecting something like this

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:19 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:Politely disagree. A well-trained gundog is pretty impressive.

Was expecting something like this

Those are some nice Devanese.

cplns

Postby cplns » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

TIL that there is such a thing as rice in a bag (where you throw the whole bag in boiling water and it cooks inside of it), and that it is actually decent.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

It's awesome. Normally microwaveable too. 1 bag o' rice + 1 pint o' water + 22 minutes on high

cplns

Postby cplns » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

I think my house would explode if I tried to microwave anything for 22 minutes. I already have to unplug the refrigerator, toaster and coffee maker, and turn off half the lights in the house if I want a cup of tea.

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

I'm assuming roband meant 2 minutes. Putting a pint of water in a microwave for 22 minutes in high would likely not end well.

cplns wrote:I think my house would explode if I tried to microwave anything for 22 minutes. I already have to unplug the refrigerator, toaster and coffee maker, and turn off half the lights in the house if I want a cup of tea.

Can you not just boil the kettle if you want a cup of tea? It's cheaper, and more importantly, tastes better.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Americans tend not to have kettles. When I lived in America it made perfect sense to me that you'd just use the microwave. Now that I've lived in England for over a year and a half, I can't see how I managed without one.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

roband

Postby roband » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

Step 5, yo.

http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Rice-in-a-Microwave

Not where I got my info from originally (and I use a higher power m'wave too) but it proves the point.

Rodion Raskolnikov

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Microwaves confuse me. How come my shitty ready meal will explode if I leave it in for more than 3 minutes, but rice can stay in for 22 minutes ion full power without bad things happening?
Also, if it takes that long, where is the advantage over the old-fashioned method? I thought the main selling point of microwaves was speed.

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Americans tend not to have kettles. When I lived in America it made perfect sense to me that you'd just use the microwave. Now that I've lived in England for over a year and a half, I can't see how I managed without one.

Now that you mention that, it rings a bell that USAins don't have kettles. Not so much TIL, more today i was reminded of something I think i may previously have had knowledge of, but had forgotten.
Or TIWROSITIMHHKOBHF.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

cplns

Postby cplns » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

I did have a stovetop kettle for years, but it got lost when we moved to our new apartment (coughMYMOTHERDOESN'TKNOWHOWTOPACKANYTHINGEVERcough). I would invest in an electric one, but considering the above problem of all the electricity in the house blowing out, it might not be a good idea just now.

And yeah, I don't get the speed deal. Rice takes that long in just a regular pot on the stove, and requires just as much work.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

I think that microwaves are more efficent, not necessarily faster. People just use them for speed because the efficiency translates to speed for some things
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Rodion Raskolnikov

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

I was meaning in particular cooking rice - where the efficiency advantage of using a microwave? Maybe there is one, but I can't see it.

~ ahammel

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

It's hard to find kettles here. I'm sure my mother would prefer that, but the best she could find was an electric one.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

You can always just boil water in a small pan and pour it into a tea cup like I do.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:It's hard to find kettles here. I'm sure my mother would prefer that, but the best she could find was an electric one.

When a Brit says 'kettle', they almost certainly mean of the electric variety. The metal kettles you use on the stove are, generally, seen as old fashioned and antiquated - superseded by the electric version - in the UK. Almost every British household has an electric kettle these days. Electric kettles are relatively fast and efficient - if people are trying to save energy and/or time it's fairly normal to use the electric kettle to boil water, then pour that water into a pan on the stove once it's boiling in order to cook food.

Rodion Raskolnikov wrote:I was meaning in particular cooking rice - where the efficiency advantage of using a microwave? Maybe there is one, but I can't see it.

In terms of pure thermal efficiency, a well shielded, modern microwave transfers almost all the electricity input into heat in the food, because the generator is very efficient and only water and fat molecules vibrate at the correct frequency to absorb the microwaves, and it's a closed system, so not much heat is lost to the surroundings. If you use a stove or convection oven you're losing a lot more heat to the surroundings, heating up things like air, the oven itself, or the counter, as well as your food.

Rodion Raskolnikov wrote:Microwaves confuse me. How come my shitty ready meal will explode if I leave it in for more than 3 minutes, but rice can stay in for 22 minutes ion full power without bad things happening?

I'm mostly guessing here, but I believe that's because the elements that make microwave meals explode/splatter are three-fold: firstly, steam bubbles generated in viscous fluids or fluids with very high surface tension such as thick sauces build up a lot more pressure before they can reach the surface and, when they do, tend to create splatter; secondly, fat that heats up sufficiently will spit; and thirdly, microwaves (at least the lower quality ones) tend to generate hot-spots, so in solids or viscous fluids where the heat isn't naturally redistributed by convection, one small area of the meal can end up hot enough to boil vigorously before the rest of it is fully cooked. With rice, you don't have any of these problems - the fluid is water, not highly viscous, and there isn't any fat.
Last edited by Adacore on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

Wow, Americans generally not having kettles is a TIL for me. Do you just not normally drink tea/coffee/boiled water, or is it just culturally accepted that you'll use a microwave/pot?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:42 pm UTC

yurell wrote:Wow, Americans generally not having kettles is a TIL for me. Do you just not normally drink tea/coffee/boiled water, or is it just culturally accepted that you'll use a microwave/pot?
I generally either boil water in a pot or run water through the coffee maker without coffee in it. You get a nice carafe of water hot enough for tea or coco or soup.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

yurell wrote:Wow, Americans generally not having kettles is a TIL for me. Do you just not normally drink tea/coffee/boiled water, or is it just culturally accepted that you'll use a microwave/pot?

I think we still have a kettle, but for everything that we need warm water for we just use the microwave.

(location: Belgium)
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

I...what? We have kettles. We have plenty of kettles, I can barely get anywhere without shoveling cubic yards of kettle out of my way.
Have you given up?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

Until recently, my mother still used an old-fashioned kettle for her tea. Now she just uses the microwave. (America)
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:13 am UTC

We tend to have dedicated coffee makers using grounds and filters and the like (bearing in mind we drink a lot more coffee than tea or cocoa). Instant coffee is generally considered lower quality (and as far as I can tell, it is, because they only sell cheap low quality instant coffee here). Tea and hot chocolate are, in my (Canadian) experience, made mostly on a per-mug basis using a microwave, or using a stovetop kettle when needed.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:32 am UTC

Look, you can't do a round of tea in the microwave, it's just silly. Remembering which cup has how many sugars would be madness!
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

cplns

Postby cplns » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Yeah, if I'm making just a single cup of tea, I'll use the microwave, and we own a coffee maker for coffee. If not, I'll either boil the water in a pot on the stove or, or if I'm feeling particularly lazy, run water through the (coffee ground-less) coffee maker. Both ways seem infinitely more common here in the States.

I've never actually met anyone who owned an electric kettle unless you could a girl I went to university with, and she was from England, so I'm not sure she counts.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:34 am UTC

Anyone I know in America who owns a legitimate teapot (myself included) cannot heat water in it. They just boil water put it in the pot and use it for serving. Fancy? yes. Practical, no.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:51 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:Anyone I know in America who owns a legitimate teapot (myself included) cannot heat water in it. They just boil water put it in the pot and use it for serving. Fancy? yes. Practical, no.

Well, of course. A teapot is an entirely separate thing from a kettle. You boil the water in a kettle, then pour the hot water into a teapot to brew and serve. Before teabags became common, this was the standard way of making tea (you put loose tea leaves in the pot, added boiling water, waited a few minutes for it to infuse, then used a tea-strainer to filter out the leaves as you poured the tea into a teacup). Nowdays you're probably more likely to skip the teapot and just pour the hot water directly into a mug with a teabag, unless you're being fancy.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:07 am UTC

We used to have a stove-top kettle, complete with fancy bird thingy that goes in the spout that whistled when the water was boiling. But it disappeared years ago and we just microwave a mug for three minutes to make our tea. Which, in my case isn't really tea tea, it's herbal tea. (America)
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:25 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:Anyone I know in America who owns a legitimate teapot (myself included) cannot heat water in it. They just boil water put it in the pot and use it for serving. Fancy? yes. Practical, no.

ISO 3103 may help you.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:28 am UTC

yurell wrote:Wow, Americans generally not having kettles is a TIL for me.

Me, too.

yurell wrote:Do you just not normally drink tea/coffee/boiled water, or is it just culturally accepted that you'll use a microwave/pot?

I have heard that it's not easy to buy a decent cup of tea in the USA. As for getting a pot of tea in a cafe / restaurant, forget it! :)

Return to “General”