Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

emceng

Re: Today I Learned

Postby emceng » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

It really depends on taste. Some places in the US pride themselves on their sweet tea, while Brits would probably think it's disgusting. Sure we've got crappy teas like Lipton, but there are also lots of good places to get teas. This is similar to the beer arguement - just because foreigners only know about the shit exports like Bud and Coors, doesn't mean the US only produces crappy beer.

As for kettles/whatever - no one I know had a kettle. Most everyone has a coffee maker at home. My mom using to boil water or microwave water to get it hot for tea. Since my dad stopped drinking coffee, they got a kettle(or three) and now use that for tea.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

My wife and I have a coffee maker. We make tea in it.

We're probably breaking so many unspoken rules. Don't care, have tea.

As far as getting tea in a restaurant goes - if it's not a tea house, it's going to be whatever iced tea they have. But most restaurants have no problem at all with bringing you as much hot water as you desire and don't care if you break out your own tea at the table.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:My wife and I have a coffee maker. We make tea in it.

Had to use the coffee maker
(Doesn't matter, had tea)
It smelled weird the whole time
I think it might have been expired
I found the bag on the floor
(Still counts)
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

My roommate has an electric kettle. So did my last roommate. My current roommate also has a stovetop kettle, which I have become a big fan of. All three of us are American and, as far as I know, have only ever lived in America. I've never thought to use an electric kettle to boil water faster than on a stovetop, but it makes a fantastic amount of sense.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:My wife and I have a coffee maker. We make tea in it.

Had to use the coffee maker
It smelled weird the whole time
I think it might have been expired
I found the bag on the floor
(Still counts)

Not like anything else has gone in to this particular coffee maker. And the one before it had several vinegar cycles to clean it out before we tried it.

But yeah, doesn't matter, had tea. In a few hours. After it cooled off.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
yurell wrote:Wow, Americans generally not having kettles is a TIL for me.
Me, too.
Me three. I'm an American who grew up with a stovetop kettle and now has an electric one. I guess I always assumed that was the norm, but now that everyone is talking about it, I realize I don't recall seeing kettles at my friends' houses.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:As far as getting tea in a restaurant goes - if it's not a tea house, it's going to be whatever iced tea they have.
Quite a few restaurants offer Twinings or Bigalow tea (not terrible). Some offer Lipton hot tea (pretty much the Bud/Coors of tea). But yeah, odds are fairly high they won't have any tea.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

Well now I'm tempted to visit the US, and in my Britishest accent, ask for tea, just to see what I get.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

Lemme rephrase that

In the South it'll be iced tea. I am not sure how elsewhere handles it.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

In the DC area it really depends on the establishment you're at. If you're at, say, a PF Changs you'll probably need to pick from the 10 different asian-themed teas. Though pretty much everywhere that serves soft drinks will probably have an unsweatened iced tea. Sometimes even fruity combinations, such as raspberry or peach.

However, I'm most likely not going to places that have 'proper' tea since I don't frequent cafes or fancy places.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

In many cities, Boston certainly, we have tea specific chains called Tealuxe and Teavana. They are pretty okay.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

I'd definitely go if it was called Tearany, and they treat you like an evil dictator.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Lemme rephrase that

In the South it'll be iced tea. I am not sure how elsewhere handles it.

To elucidate: in my experience, there's a good chance that if you just asked for tea, your server would respond by asking if you wanted sweetened or unsweetened. Sweetened is, of course, the traditional response and the default if your server doesn't ask for clarification. If you've never had real Southern sweet tea before, be prepared to be shocked by just how sweet it is.

If iced tea isn't what you want, asking for "hot tea" will get you what you're looking for at a lot of places. Well, sort of. What you'll likely get is a dusty (because hardly anyone ever orders it) Lipton's tea bag with hot water out of the coffee machine.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

You can get hot tea at most Indian restaurants. Thanks, Imperialism! :mrgreen:

Also I am American and I have a kettle I use frequently. No teapot, though. Just bags & mugs.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:In the DC area it really depends on the establishment you're at. If you're at, say, a PF Changs you'll probably need to pick from the 10 different asian-themed teas.

Okay. But why on earth are you in a PF Chang's when you're in DC? Y'all have an actual china town. And other such places that contain real restaurants.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

Here in southern California, whenever anyone I know wants tea, they go to a "coffee shop" (Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Peet's Coffee & Tea, even Starbucks, or else some local variety of the same concept) and pick from whatever huge variety of teas they might possibly want.

I'm pretty sure most diner-type restaurants (Denny's, Carrows, IHOP, Chili's, Friday's, Applebees, etc) will serve you hot black tea all you want too. Some even offer green.

And yeah, pretty much any variety of Asian restaurant from Indian to Thai to Chinese will have hot tea on hand, often in several interesting varieties.

I'm pretty sure most of the restaurants will assume you mean hot tea unless you specify "iced", too.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

“If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are too heated, it will cool you; if you are depressed, it will cheer you; if you are excited, it will calm you.”

William E. Gladstone (British Statesman and Prime Minister (1868-1894)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:06 am UTC

If I'm going to a Coffee Bean I'm going to get coffee. Tea is far easier and cheaper to make at home, but a Coffee Bean latte is goooood.

I've almost given up on drinking tea outside home, both hot and iced. I know hot is only going to get me a random bag of dust (unless they bought a Bigelow box or something, in which case it'll be choose your own flavor random bag of dust), and most iced is still pretty nasty. The exception is the iced tea you get at Panda Express or Pick Up Stix, which is some tasty passion fruit tropical blend type thing.

I might be a bit of a tea snob. Oh, and I microwave my water. I don't see the sense in using an entirely separate appliance to do that.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:15 am UTC

Kettles are a bit more efficient than microwaves, if you're into saving energy. Although it takes a lot of energy to manufacture a kettle, so...

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:28 am UTC

In Seattle most places that serve espresso (unless they're the coffee snob places, which do exist) will also serve tea. There are lot of these coffee places double as restaurants of the sandwhich and some other easy-ish food, so I would count them as restaurants.

Most restaurants that target the fairly large vegan/vegetarian/alternative eating styles will also have a selection of tea.

The selection of tea at these places is either Tazo, Stash, or some fancy stuff that I've never heard of (that I assume to be organic or locally grown or something).

Promac

Postby Promac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:28 am UTC

Microwaved water is horrible. Makes the tea go slightly frothy.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:38 am UTC

...I didn't know restaurants don't have tea. My mom always is cold, so she'll get hot tea when we go out to eat pretty much everywhere. I mean, it's like Jude said, with a Lipton's bag and some hot water, but I don't think she's ever asked for it and been told they don't have it. But those are chain restaurants. Maybe the non-chains don't? I don't know.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:42 am UTC

I think only once have I been able to not even get Liptons somewhere. I don't like Liptons, though, so I don't really think about it when I think about where I can get tea.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:43 am UTC

Restaurants generally have at least the two stainless steel brewers with (insert tea company logo) on the front.

And then there's the powdered mix which to my knowledge no one has mentioned. It's like extra sugary tea flavored kool-aid.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:39 am UTC

Whelan wrote:Well now I'm tempted to visit the US, and in my Britishest accent, ask for tea, just to see what I get.

Many chain restaurants in the U.S. will offer mainly iced tea. Depending on the region, it may come as only unsweetened, or else both sweetened or unsweetened. The local restaurants might be a bit more difficult when it comes to tea. Again, it depends on the region.

Although, even in the South, which is well-known for loving sweetened iced tea, some restaurants, mainly local, only serve unsweetened tea. When I found that out, regardless of the food or service, I don't go there anymore.

The most common flavoring for tea is lemon. I personally think any kind of flavoring is gross, but the major consensus is lemon. Most restaurants, especially the sit-down/casual dining kinds (Denny's, Waffle House, Applebee's, Red Lobster, Olive Garden et al.), will serve a lemon slice with the tea, usually perched on the rim of the glass. If you don't like lemon, you can request "no lemon", but in my experience, some servers at some restaurants don't listen. Other popular flavors are peach and raspberry, but those usually come as a preflavored mix. Nestea makes a lemon-flavored iced tea that comes canned, bottled, and sold in dispensers in many fast-food chains.

Most fast food chains make their own tea, and depending on where you go, it'll be either some of the best commercially-sold iced tea you've ever had, or the worst. The most popular is Chick-Fil-A's iced tea, either sweetened or unsweetened. They also sell it by the gallon, should you desire to keep some in your home or work. I buy a gallon of sweetened on occasion.

Hot tea is available, but you have to request it. In most places it'll be an "off-menu" item, but they do have it. Like someone else said, it'd be a cup of hot water, and a teabag. You steep it yourself. They may also bring out a few packets of sugar or artificial sweetener. Some restaurants may keep a small container with a few packets of sugar, Equal, Sweet-N-Low, and/or Splenda on every table. Asian cuisine restaurants, mainly the locally-owned ones, will offer brewed hot tea, with a complete tea set (kettle and cups). I remember going to one restaurant where they brought out the tea set automatically to every table. You had to remember to say you don't want hot tea, that you'd rather have iced tea.

In the South, most restaurants know what you mean when you say "sweet tea" or "unsweet tea". If someone says, "I'll have a sweet tea" or simply "sweet tea" when the server asks for drink orders, if someone else pipes in with "unsweet" and someone else just says "sweet", the server, if well-versed enough, knows everyone wants tea, and that was two sweetened teas and one unsweetened tea. Some restaurants may provide a spoon with the unsweetened tea, where the customer may add artificial sweetener, if they wish. Sweetened tea is sweetened with regular sugar.

Not sure how it is in the UK, but from what I understand, you have to ask for your drink along with your meal. Here in the U.S., most sit-down restaurants will ask for drink orders before taking food orders. The ideaology behind that is that 99% of all restaurant goers already know what they want to drink before they even get in their car and drive to the restaurant. Most will always get the same thing with every meal. The server will get the drinks, leaving you time to peruse the menu. When they return with the drinks, they will inquire if you've decided. If not, they'll run off, leaving you to peruse further, all the while sipping your drink. Menu perusin's thirsty work!

One major thing you'll find in restaurants in the U.S. that serve iced tea is this: There's no consistency. Some restaurants will over-sweeten their tea; others will under-sweeten. If it tastes more like sugar syrup than tea, then they've over-sweetened. Many people will ask for half-and-half, as in half-sweetened and half-unsweetened. This helps to cut the sweetness (as my mom likes to put it, "teeth-curlin' sweet") on their sweet tea, and helps make it seem stronger, since the unsweetened tea seems to be stronger in flavor.

Same goes with steeping. There are some places I've eaten at where the tea seemed a bit weak, sometimes more like tea-flavored water; others where the tea was almost as strong as coffee, if not stronger.

For both, it really depends on the restaurant and whoever was in charge of making the tea that day.
PRG

An important message for you:

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:55 am UTC

What's the difference between 'sweetened' and 'unsweetened'? Do they just chuck a tonne of sugar in it if you want it sweetened (if so, it seems an odd thing to specify rather than just adding it yourself)? And do we mean the same thing when we say 'iced tea' (that is brewed tea with ice, or occasionally turned into a dairy version)?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:56 am UTC

I've probably mentioned this before, but whatever.
My friend had neither a kettle nor a microwave in his flat when I visited him. I had to boil water in a saucepan to make tea, like some kind of chump.
Why I had to make the tea while he lounged around in bed even though I was the guest is a whole other issue.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

I would consider myself a terrible host. My flat is seldom tidy, and I am absolutely terrible at entertaining guests.

But if you think for a second I would let somebody make their own tea under this roof...
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

yurell wrote:What's the difference between 'sweetened' and 'unsweetened'? Do they just chuck a tonne of sugar in it if you want it sweetened (if so, it seems an odd thing to specify rather than just adding it yourself)? And do we mean the same thing when we say 'iced tea' (that is brewed tea with ice, or occasionally turned into a dairy version)?

When we (US) say iced tea, that's tea that is brewed hot, then ice is added or the container is refrigerated. Dairy is rarely added to hot tea in the US. It's practically unheard of for iced teas.

As for the difference between sweetened and unsweetened, that can also depend on where you are.
In the Southern US, sweet tea is pre-sweetened during the steeping process. 1-Boil water, 2-steep tea, 3-add sugar, 4-stir hot tea/sugar solution until dissolved, 5-add ice to cool (or refrigerate container)
In the Northern US (at least east coast, don't know much about west coast traditions), if you ask for sweet tea, you're given unsweetened tea (same process as above, minus the sugar) and a spoon. You then add sugar yourself to taste.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

Honestly, north of the Mason-Dixon line, all but the best restaurants will serve you a horrible mixture of water and corn syrup out of the soda fountain, likely with a raspberry flavor. For many Americans, that is "tea."

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:Honestly, north of the Mason-Dixon line, all but the best restaurants will serve you a horrible mixture of water and corn syrup out of the soda fountain, likely with a raspberry flavor. For many Americans, that is "tea."

Umm, no? Yes, there are things like 'Nestea', but no one I know considers that 'tea'.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

cplns

Postby cplns » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

I'm a northerner, but I won't order unsweetened tea in a restaurant, even if I can add sugar to it myself. Sugar doesn't dissolve right in cold tea, so you end up with unsweetened tea with sugar gel at the bottom of the glass.

There's also a difference between "sweet tea" and "sweetened tea". I find that sweet tea is more of a southern thing, iced tea made with more sugar than tea; sweetened tea, I've found everywhere, and is nowhere near as diabetes-inducing. Since a lot of my family is from the (deep, deep) south, I've grown up with the first one.

I know it's a cardinal sin to put sugar in tea, but most tea tastes bitter and dry to me without it, even if it's made properly and not steeped too long. I'll only leave it out of the most expensive loose leaf teas that taste good without (usually when I sell a limb or my as-of-yet-unborn first-born child to afford tea from Teavana).

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

I usually have honey in my tea, just to take the edge off. Plus the flavour of red gum honey goes nice with red teas IMO.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

cplns wrote:I know it's a cardinal sin to put sugar in tea.

Eh, it is? I was under the impression that milk and sugar were reasonably traditional additions to black teas.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:Honestly, north of the Mason-Dixon line, all but the best restaurants will serve you a horrible mixture of water and corn syrup out of the soda fountain, likely with a raspberry flavor. For many Americans, that is "tea."

Umm, no? Yes, there are things like 'Nestea', but no one I know considers that 'tea'.

Nestea and Lipton Brisk are what fast food and chain restaurants will serve customers who ask for tea. I guess that's better known as "iced tea" but it's still more common than a cup of hot water and a tea bag.

McDonald's has also undermined the term "Sweet Tea" by serving a beverage of the same name that is... a lightly flavored mixture of corn syrup and water across the country.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

Many fast food places are serving gold peak brand tea, which is actually quite decent. Five Guys burgers and I think Popeye's chicken both have the four-way machines.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

I forgot five guys has that little tea machine. I'll need to remember that next time instead of just getting water.

Belial wrote:Okay. But why on earth are you in a PF Chang's when you're in DC? Y'all have an actual china town. And other such places that contain real restaurants.

I've only gone to PF Chang's during work outings, usually when someone leaves. At home we're weekly customers of the local chinese buffet, sushi, and greek place! Other than that we usually just cook.

soratidus999

Postby soratidus999 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

I drink tea on occasion, but its usually fairly rough stuff that's been sitting in the back of the car for 3 years and personally i need 2 sugars...

But Lipton make a Peach Ice Tea, its absolutely nothing like ice tea, nice, but i cant understand being served it if i asked for tea and would never have expected it - sure enough i was at a breakfast buffet, had this massive craving for some reason and was pointed towards the fridge when i asked for the tea (there was none around the coffee machine)

*sigh* blonde waitresses.... luckily some sweet old lady had a box in her handbag

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:McDonald's has also undermined the term "Sweet Tea" by serving a beverage of the same name that is... a lightly flavored mixture of corn syrup and water across the country.

I don't think this is actually true. Admittedly, it's been a few decades since I worked there, but a quick google search suggests that they still make it the same way we made it back in the day. We brewed it in the store and sweetened it with sugar. Note that if you go to their website, the listed ingredients for their sweet tea are "Water, sugar, orange pekoe and pekoe cut black tea." Compare with the ingredients for coca-cola: "Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavors (vegetable source), caffeine."

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/pro ... small.html

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

TIL: That^

Return to “General”