Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:41 am UTC
Location: Ciudad de Panamá, Panamá

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Weeks » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:TIL the guy who wrote the US Pledge of Allegiance was a hardcore socialist, which probably wouldn't be taken too well today. Also the phrase "my flag" was changed to "the flag of the United States of America" in 1923 because of concerns that immigrants would salute their home country's flag.
Also, despite the creator of the pledge being Christian, the phrase "under God" wasn't added until 1954.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

today i learned: the value of respect.

on the one hand: if the people you are among don't respect you, find other people.

on the other hand: be sure to show your respect for those that deserve it, it does matter to them and will make their day.

on the slightly radioactive hand growing out of my chest: some people don't deserve your respect. it takes alot of wisdom and introspection to figure out who those people are.
Image

User avatar
drkslvr
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby drkslvr » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Those flat caps that you see David Beckham wearing became popular because they were required by law in 16th century England. True story.

Tomlidich the second wrote:on the slightly radioactive hand growing out of my chest: some people don't deserve your respect. it takes alot of wisdom and introspection to figure out who those people are.


Also, nice.
Help a paralyzed kitten get surgery! Fundly.com/Help-Link-Walk-Again
Image
Like Link's page for photos and updates on his status: Facebook.com/HelpLinkWalkAgain

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:TIL the guy who wrote the US Pledge of Allegiance was a hardcore socialist, which probably wouldn't be taken too well today. Also the phrase "my flag" was changed to "the flag of the United States of America" in 1923 because of concerns that immigrants would salute their home country's flag.
Also, despite the creator of the pledge being Christian, the phrase "under God" wasn't added until 1954.

Back when the pledge was written, it was assumed that everyone in the country was christian. It wasn't until the late 1800s that immigrants started bringing in other religions, and politicians were like "hey, you can't do that!"

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Weeks wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:TIL the guy who wrote the US Pledge of Allegiance was a hardcore socialist, which probably wouldn't be taken too well today. Also the phrase "my flag" was changed to "the flag of the United States of America" in 1923 because of concerns that immigrants would salute their home country's flag.
Also, despite the creator of the pledge being Christian, the phrase "under God" wasn't added until 1954.

Back when the pledge was written, it was assumed that everyone in the country was christian. It wasn't until the late 1800s that immigrants started bringing in other religions, and politicians were like "hey, you can't do that!"
The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892, and became official in 1942.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

drkslvr wrote:Also, nice.

not sure if sarcastic or.......
Image

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Weeks wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:TIL the guy who wrote the US Pledge of Allegiance was a hardcore socialist, which probably wouldn't be taken too well today. Also the phrase "my flag" was changed to "the flag of the United States of America" in 1923 because of concerns that immigrants would salute their home country's flag.
Also, despite the creator of the pledge being Christian, the phrase "under God" wasn't added until 1954.

Back when the pledge was written, it was assumed that everyone in the country was christian. It wasn't until the late 1800s that immigrants started bringing in other religions, and politicians were like "hey, you can't do that!"


Wasn't the 'under god' thing a maccarthy-era anti-communist device?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892, and became official in 1942.

I can't read.
You, sir, name? wrote:Wasn't the 'under god' thing a maccarthy-era anti-communist device?

True. I forgot about those godless commies.

User avatar
drkslvr
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby drkslvr » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Wasn't the 'under god' thing a maccarthy-era anti-communist device?


Definitely. Promoted by Eisenhower and everything.

Tomlidich the second wrote:
drkslvr wrote:Also, nice.

not sure if sarcastic or.......


Nope! I thought that quote was fantastic.
Help a paralyzed kitten get surgery! Fundly.com/Help-Link-Walk-Again
Image
Like Link's page for photos and updates on his status: Facebook.com/HelpLinkWalkAgain

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

drkslvr wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:
drkslvr wrote:Also, nice.

not sure if sarcastic or.......


Nope! I thought that quote was fantastic.

aha well thank you *bows*
Image

Fire Brns
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Fire Brns » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:01 am UTC

TIL (well realized/noticed) that "it's not" and "it isn't" are both "it is not" but with the contraction in a different spot.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Today I Learned

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:16 am UTC

You should start saying 'tisn't.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Today I Learned

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:28 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:TIL (well realized/noticed) that "it's not" and "it isn't" are both "it is not" but with the contraction in a different spot.

No, they're not. They aren't even similar. :wink:
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10258
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Today I Learned

Postby addams » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:20 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Weeks wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:TIL the guy who wrote the US Pledge of Allegiance was a hardcore socialist, which probably wouldn't be taken too well today. Also the phrase "my flag" was changed to "the flag of the United States of America" in 1923 because of concerns that immigrants would salute their home country's flag.
Also, despite the creator of the pledge being Christian, the phrase "under God" wasn't added until 1954.

Back when the pledge was written, it was assumed that everyone in the country was christian. It wasn't until the late 1800s that immigrants started bringing in other religions, and politicians were like "hey, you can't do that!"

pfft. Not everyone was a Christian!
What? Where did you get That Idea?

For Starters, Indians were not Christians when that bunch arrived.
Second, People came here to listen for a different Voice.
some heard it. some did not.

Most came here because.... I don't want to type about it.
It was Not Christian!

You are a part of The We Are- We Are- We Are- Christians?
I do not understand you people.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10258
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Today I Learned

Postby addams » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:23 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:TIL (well realized/noticed) that "it's not" and "it isn't" are both "it is not" but with the contraction in a different spot.

No, they're not. They aren't even similar. :wink:

Double Post;
But; That is so cute.

How nice of you to notice the language.
It is a bit flat these days. Still.

That is cute and it Is So!
It is not
it isn't
it's not.

But; It Is!

I may understand you people.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
PM 2Ring
Posts: 3713
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Today I Learned

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:23 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:TIL (well realized/noticed) that "it's not" and "it isn't" are both "it is not" but with the contraction in a different spot.

No, they're not. They aren't even similar. :wink:

Well played!

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

TIL: Sharknado is an actual film. I assumed it was a new internet meme.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
teenidle
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:15 pm UTC
Location: Europe

Re: Today I Learned

Postby teenidle » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

TIL that Greek people use, well, the Greek alphabet. I'd always assumed that was a different Greek alphabet, for some reason. My brother is rolling his eyes at me SO HARD right now.
I'll go hide in a cave now.

User avatar
PM 2Ring
Posts: 3713
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Today I Learned

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

teenidle wrote:TIL that Greek people use, well, the Greek alphabet. I'd always assumed that was a different Greek alphabet, for some reason. My brother is rolling his eyes at me SO HARD right now.
I'll go hide in a cave now.


I don't know if this makes you feel better, but the Greek alphabet has changed over time. And the names and sounds of the letters used in modern Greek are a little different to the Westernised form used in science and mathematics.

FWIW, there are large Greek communities in several Australian cities, and it's not unusual to see some shop signs written in Greek in some neighbourhoods here.

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5531
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby doogly » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

And also quite different from ancient Greek (the best Greek)
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Fire Brns
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Fire Brns » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:TIL: Sharknado is an actual film. I assumed it was a new internet meme.
Yesterday I learned it was made by The Asylum who gave us the mockbuster "Atlantic Rim".

PM 2Ring wrote:FWIW, there are large Greek communities in several Australian cities, and it's not unusual to see some shop signs written in Greek in some neighbourhoods here.
I live near a Greek community/tourist trap here in Florida. A lot of the signs are like that here too.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

User avatar
teenidle
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:15 pm UTC
Location: Europe

Re: Today I Learned

Postby teenidle » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

Important life lessons learned while playing The Sims 3: Teenagers can't Flirt with Adults/Young Adults. Huh.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

teenidle wrote:Important life lessons learned while playing The Sims 3: Teenagers can't Flirt with Adults/Young Adults. Huh.


bwaaaah. how exactly did you manage to remind me of a dillemma i had on friday. spooky coincedences are spooky.

anyways, today i learned what its like to hang out with actual NICE people. holy balls man it surprised me alot how nice these people were.
Image

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6577
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Thesh » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:TIL: Sharknado is an actual film. I assumed it was a new internet meme.
Yesterday I learned it was made by The Asylum who gave us the mockbuster "Atlantic Rim".


I hate that studio; they are always ripping off movies to try and get people to accidentally buy their stuff. Most recently they released "Jack the Giant Killer". I remember back in the old days when we used to draw and quarter people for that kind of stuff. Kids these days are just too soft, and just let them continue to make this crap.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1841
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Today I Learned

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

TIL: there is a <shrug> html tag.

that is awesome.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
teenidle
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:15 pm UTC
Location: Europe

Re: Today I Learned

Postby teenidle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

Oh shit I forgot to post this...
Yesterday i learned that my grandparents will say uh-huh and nod even when the have no idea what I'm talking about. Which sort of sucks because they tend to get really angry when they are under the impression that I haven't told them something important.

User avatar
PM 2Ring
Posts: 3713
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Today I Learned

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:TIL: there is a <shrug> html tag.


Not really. Sure, you can do something like

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Custom tag test</title>
<style type="text/css">
    shrug { color: #F88; font: italic bold 1.2em sans-serif; }
</style>
</head>
<body>

<p>
Some text.
<em>Emphasized text.</em>
What does <shrug>shrug</shrug> do?
</p>

</body>
</html>

but the consensus is that such custom tags are best avoided.

User avatar
teenidle
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:15 pm UTC
Location: Europe

Re: Today I Learned

Postby teenidle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

TIL that a decibel is one tenth of a bel. I...never thought about it that way. Well, uh, baby steps, I guess... :oops:

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10258
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Today I Learned

Postby addams » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
teenidle wrote:Important life lessons learned while playing The Sims 3: Teenagers can't Flirt with Adults/Young Adults. Huh.


bwaaaah. how exactly did you manage to remind me of a dillemma i had on friday. spooky coincedences are spooky.

anyways, today i learned what its like to hang out with actual NICE people. holy balls man it surprised me alot how nice these people were.


AlRight!! YOU!
STOP. Right there. Stop!

Where did you find these Nice People?
Where are they now?

Tell us More. Lots More.
How many of them were there?
What color were they?
Men? Women? Younglings?
Was the Group Mixed Species?
Dogs? Horses? Gorilla?

What made you think they were Nice?
Was it an Act? Where are they now?

If we wanted to hunt down this elusive prey The North American Nice People;
Where would you suggest we look? Where did you find them?

What did you use to attract them? What was it?
How do we repeat your results?! TELL US!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

addams wrote:
AlRight!! YOU!
STOP. Right there. Stop!

Where did you find these Nice People?
Where are they now?

Tell us More. Lots More.
How many of them were there?
What color were they?
Men? Women? Younglings?
Was the Group Mixed Species?
Dogs? Horses? Gorilla?

What made you think they were Nice?
Was it an Act? Where are they now?

If we wanted to hunt down this elusive prey The North American Nice People;
Where would you suggest we look? Where did you find them?

What did you use to attract them? What was it?
How do we repeat your results?! TELL US!



well my poetic friend
its really quite simple.

when you go to an event
such as a hobbie or an activity

there are often like minded people there.
many willing to speak with you.

they are all over my friend.
inside of all of us.

that person at the coffee shop.
that odd looking fellow in the theater.

they will go to great lengths to be nice to you.
such as buying you coffee.

repeating the results is really quite simple.
find a person to talk to. anyone.

and go talk to them.
Image

User avatar
WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby WibblyWobbly » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

teenidle wrote:TIL that a decibel is one tenth of a bel. I...never thought about it that way. Well, uh, baby steps, I guess... :oops:

So, can I start talking about sounds over 100 decibels as being over a dekabel?

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

TIL: There's a verb in Korean that means 'to take pleasure in the mistakes of one's enemies'. Similar to schadenfreude, I guess, which is what I used as the short definition on my flashcards because it's a concept that just doesn't exist as a single word in English, but the 'enemies' and 'mistakes' bit is slightly different (as I understand it schadenfreude is simply 'others' and 'misfortune'). I feel like the Korean word is more vindictive.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:TIL: There's a verb in Korean that means 'to take pleasure in the mistakes of one's enemies'. Similar to schadenfreude, I guess, which is what I used as the short definition on my flashcards because it's a concept that just doesn't exist as a single word in English, but the 'enemies' and 'mistakes' bit is slightly different (as I understand it schadenfreude is simply 'others' and 'misfortune'). I feel like the Korean word is more vindictive.

This made me go look for a similar word in Russian.

The result: злорадство

Зло- is similar to the English prefix mal-, meaning "bad" or "ill". Радство is a form of the word радостъ, which means "happiness". So, злорадство literally means "malicious joy".

I love languages.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:42 pm UTC

I wonder if not having a word for that concept is particular to English, and most other major languages do?

User avatar
Negrebskoh
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:49 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Negrebskoh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:41 am UTC

A similar word in Dutch would probably be 'leedvermaak'. Where 'leed' is pain/sorrow/grief, and 'vermaak' is amusement/joy. It's closer to the German schadenfreude than the Korean word, though - leedvermaak doesn't apply to an enemy's mistakes, necessarily.

Adacore wrote:I wonder if not having a word for that concept is particular to English, and most other major languages do?

I'm pretty sure Italian at least doesn't have its own word for that concept. There's probably other major languages that don't as well.

Fire Brns
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Fire Brns » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:44 am UTC

Adacore wrote:I wonder if not having a word for that concept is particular to English, and most other major languages do?

I've noticed that English distinguishes between revenge and vengeance whereas other related languages do not.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10258
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Today I Learned

Postby addams » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Adacore wrote:TIL: There's a verb in Korean that means 'to take pleasure in the mistakes of one's enemies'. Similar to schadenfreude, I guess, which is what I used as the short definition on my flashcards because it's a concept that just doesn't exist as a single word in English, but the 'enemies' and 'mistakes' bit is slightly different (as I understand it schadenfreude is simply 'others' and 'misfortune'). I feel like the Korean word is more vindictive.

This made me go look for a similar word in Russian.

The result: злорадство

Зло- is similar to the English prefix mal-, meaning "bad" or "ill". Радство is a form of the word радостъ, which means "happiness". So, злорадство literally means "malicious joy".

I love languages.

That Russian concept I am a little familiar with.
Of course, different families may use the word differently one from the other.

The idea of Malicious Joy is Practical Jokes.
They are funny and they are terrible.

A fine line is to be walked.
Practical Jokes can be dangerous.

Nerd Sniping is a kind of Practical Joke.
It is not so bad. A little laughter, some balm for a bruised ego and... (shrug)
I don't know Russian.
***
What I learned, today?
I learned something several days ago.

Remember Carl Sagan?
He said, We have frequent misunderstandings.

I was sitting with a woman I have known for a very long time.
When we met. She said, "I have lived here for Thirty-something years."
What I heard was, "I have lived for Thirty-something years."

Several days ago she set me straight. At this time she has lived there for more than fifty years.
She was an adult when she arrived. That makes her quite old. I did not know. She seemed to be thirty to me.

She seems about fifty to me, now.
Only she will not take off across open country, anymore.
So, silly. What did I learn?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Carlington » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:25 am UTC

Adacore wrote:TIL: There's a verb in Korean that means 'to take pleasure in the mistakes of one's enemies'. Similar to schadenfreude, I guess, which is what I used as the short definition on my flashcards because it's a concept that just doesn't exist as a single word in English, but the 'enemies' and 'mistakes' bit is slightly different (as I understand it schadenfreude is simply 'others' and 'misfortune'). I feel like the Korean word is more vindictive.

My favourite Korean word is nunchi. It's also the only Korean word I know, other than annyeunghaseyo (I apologise for my awful transliteration.)
I would say that somebody to whom the Korean schadenfreude verb applies lacks nunchi.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
Dinosaur!
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Santa Cruz, CA

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Dinosaur! » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:04 am UTC

TIL about the brain-breaking, gravity-defying art of tensegrity. :shock:

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Adacore » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:23 am UTC

Carlington wrote:My favourite Korean word is nunchi. It's also the only Korean word I know, other than annyeunghaseyo (I apologise for my awful transliteration.)
I would say that somebody to whom the Korean schadenfreude verb applies lacks nunchi.

Heh. I do not have much 눈치 (nunchi), but as a concept it's more to do with being able to rapidly evaluate a social situation from subtle hints than actually being a nice person once the situation has been read, in my understanding. Basically it's about reading bodylanguage, tone of voice, appearance, &c., and gauging social position and seniority in order to place the other person correctly relative to oneself in the social hierachy and, from that, figuring out an appropriate way of handling a social situation before one starts talking, or otherwise interacting, with another person. You can have a lot of nunchi but still feel 고소하다 (gosohada, the schadenfreude-like word), I'd think.

Your transliteration of annyeonghaseyo is pretty much spot on. Revised romanisation rules would use a 'eo' instead of the 'eu' in 'yeung/yeong', but using the 'eu' for that vowel sound is a variant I've seen, as are 'u', and 'ou' (based on the logic that it makes the syllable 'young', and is pronounced in a similar way to the english world 'young').


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests