Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Puppyclaws
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Puppyclaws » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:46 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:TIL that at some point in the past decade, Fred Durst apologized for Limp Bizkit...well, existing. Apparently he hates the fact that his music was celebrated by the kind of people who beat him up in high school, and prefers to listen to jazz and sad songs.


Somebody really needed to apologize for that, so I'm glad to hear. HOWEVER, is it possible you have a cite for this? I went looking and just couldn't find it.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26203
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:28 am UTC

I haven't found one. The closest I've come to is

Fred Durst wrote:"I got beat up all the time in high school,"...“I was the underdog. All of my angst comes from that in my life.” ... "The irony is, Limp Bizkit, for a while, [was] the fuel for bullies to beat up a lot of these underdogs,"..."That's when I decided to stop. I was like, 'You know, that's me they're beating up, and my music is fueling them.' So I held back for a while."


No apology, but a claim to have been bullied in high school. Given the various moves he made to put Limp Bizkit where they ended up, it wouldn't surprise me if, upon speaking to his classmates, it's revealed that the bullying he suffered was all in his head and/or directly related to being socially ostracized for being a colossal dickpunch of a human being and that he was a bully of sorts himself. Or that the entire thing is a fabrication.

Granted, I come to this through nothing but people I knew of in high school who claim to have been bullied ... and it may have very well happened... but I recall them being on the giving end in more than one occasion as well, so I'm not sure if it's some delusion of theirs or if there were things I didn't observe - which is possible.

Hell, given how much of an ass I can be, it also wouldn't surprise me if someone said that I bullied them at some point. Because looking back, while I did mostly just stay out of everyone else's way and try to keep to myself as best I could.... I was an asshole who said some shit I not only shouldn't have, but probably should have gotten my ass kicked for.

So.. long story short - I can't find an apology, but I can find a claim of "Wait, the same assbags who beat me are in to my shit? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck"


[source 1] [source 2]
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
PM 2Ring
Posts: 3650
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm UTC
Location: Mid north coast, NSW, Australia

Re: Today I Learned

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:30 am UTC

addams wrote:Today or late last night; I learned about Bismuth.
I learned about it at xkcd.

Sometimes this Forum is like wandering around in a University Town.
There are Chem Majors and Chem WanaBe's; Like Me.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/crystalre ... ystals.htm

The way that thing was written. It seems nearly anyone should be able to make it work.
Can you? Could I?
Not all by myself. What would be the Point?
Bismuth Is a Souvenir Shop Trinket.

I was fascinated with it. When I first saw a Chrystal of Bismuth I really looked at that thing.
I probably Asked. What is this? Where does it come from? Rocks. It was in with Rocks.

It comes from a Lab. The answer was, "It comes from a Lab. It is a Man Made Material."
Like Teflon. And; Velcro. A little like Califoniaoum. Only longer lasting.


Bismuth is not exactly a man-made material. True, it's not naturally found as a pure metal - bismuth ores are compounds of bismuth with sulfur or oxygen. But not many elements are naturally found in their pure state, unless they're fairly unreactive, like nitrogen or gold.

Oxygen is unusual in that it's rather reactive yet it is found in the atmosphere as a pure element (albeit mixed with other atmospheric gases). But that's because green plants having being releasing vast amounts of elemental oxygen for billions of years, and lots of minerals that could react with oxygen (and hence pull it out of the atmosphere) have already done so.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxygenation_Event and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banded_iron_formation

User avatar
OBrien
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:05 pm UTC
Location: 1 Bimini Road, downtown Atlantis

Re: Today I Learned

Postby OBrien » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Granted, I come to this through nothing but people I knew of in high school who claim to have been bullied ... and it may have very well happened... but I recall them being on the giving end in more than one occasion as well, so I'm not sure if it's some delusion of theirs or if there were things I didn't observe - which is possible.

While it's no excuse I did sometime pick on some people in my secondary school sometimes to draw the heat away form me. I know now that it was wrong and why it was wrong but I can understand 10-15 year old me, or Fred Durst, being a dick to others to just make the pain go away for a while.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26203
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Sure. I'm sure that's pretty common. I'm just not sure in Mr Durst's case due to the way Mr Durst has represented himself and his actions within the music industry itself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
OBrien
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:05 pm UTC
Location: 1 Bimini Road, downtown Atlantis

Re: Today I Learned

Postby OBrien » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Oh for sure. I like to think that, having gone through that, I've gone down the route of "Being bullied fucking sucks, let's stop doing that to other people." whereas Frederick seems to have gone "Being bullied fucking sucks, let's try to be King, Lord Buttsworth PhD (Douchbaggery) so I'm at the top of the bullying pile."
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

User avatar
WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby WibblyWobbly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
addams wrote:Today or late last night; I learned about Bismuth.
I learned about it at xkcd.

Sometimes this Forum is like wandering around in a University Town.
There are Chem Majors and Chem WanaBe's; Like Me.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/crystalre ... ystals.htm

The way that thing was written. It seems nearly anyone should be able to make it work.
Can you? Could I?
Not all by myself. What would be the Point?
Bismuth Is a Souvenir Shop Trinket.

I was fascinated with it. When I first saw a Chrystal of Bismuth I really looked at that thing.
I probably Asked. What is this? Where does it come from? Rocks. It was in with Rocks.

It comes from a Lab. The answer was, "It comes from a Lab. It is a Man Made Material."
Like Teflon. And; Velcro. A little like Califoniaoum. Only longer lasting.


Bismuth is not exactly a man-made material. True, it's not naturally found as a pure metal - bismuth ores are compounds of bismuth with sulfur or oxygen. But not many elements are naturally found in their pure state, unless they're fairly unreactive, like nitrogen or gold.

Oxygen is unusual in that it's rather reactive yet it is found in the atmosphere as a pure element (albeit mixed with other atmospheric gases). But that's because green plants having being releasing vast amounts of elemental oxygen for billions of years, and lots of minerals that could react with oxygen (and hence pull it out of the atmosphere) have already done so.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxygenation_Event and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banded_iron_formation

Can one reduce the bismuth subsalicylate in OTC stomach remedies to an oxide or other form from which the bismuth can be reclaimed? Sorry if that's stupid, but it's the only widely available bismuth-containing compound I know of.

User avatar
Moose Anus
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:Can one reduce the bismuth subsalicylate in OTC stomach remedies to an oxide or other form from which the bismuth can be reclaimed? Sorry if that's stupid, but it's the only widely available bismuth-containing compound I know of.

TIL Yep.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9990
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Today I Learned

Postby addams » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:04 am UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:
addams wrote:Today or late last night; I learned about Bismuth.
I learned about it at xkcd.

Sometimes this Forum is like wandering around in a University Town.
There are Chem Majors and Chem WanaBe's; Like Me.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/crystalre ... ystals.htm

The way that thing was written. It seems nearly anyone should be able to make it work.
Can you? Could I?
Not all by myself. What would be the Point?
Bismuth Is a Souvenir Shop Trinket.

I was fascinated with it. When I first saw a Chrystal of Bismuth I really looked at that thing.
I probably Asked. What is this? Where does it come from? Rocks. It was in with Rocks.

It comes from a Lab. The answer was, "It comes from a Lab. It is a Man Made Material."
Like Teflon. And; Velcro. A little like Califoniaoum. Only longer lasting.


Bismuth is not exactly a man-made material. True, it's not naturally found as a pure metal - bismuth ores are compounds of bismuth with sulfur or oxygen. But not many elements are naturally found in their pure state, unless they're fairly unreactive, like nitrogen or gold.

Oxygen is unusual in that it's rather reactive yet it is found in the atmosphere as a pure element (albeit mixed with other atmospheric gases). But that's because green plants having being releasing vast amounts of elemental oxygen for billions of years, and lots of minerals that could react with oxygen (and hence pull it out of the atmosphere) have already done so.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxygenation_Event and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banded_iron_formation

Can one reduce the bismuth subsalicylate in OTC stomach remedies to an oxide or other form from which the bismuth can be reclaimed? Sorry if that's stupid, but it's the only widely available bismuth-containing compound I know of.


From the directions: You have a few different options for obtaining bismuth. You can use non-lead fishing sinkers (for example, Eagle Claw makes non-lead sinkers using bismuth), you can use non-lead ammunition (the shot will say it is made from bismuth on the label), or you can buy bismuth metal. The quality of crystals you obtain depends in part on the purity of the metal, so make sure you are using bismuth and not an alloy.

It seems simple enough.
Please; Let the thread know if you do it.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby ahammel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:31 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:So, lately, out of boredom, I've been making maps of U.S. counties which contain stores of certain grocery store chains, and in the process, I've learned that Safeway has locations in Canada and Mexico.
TIL Safeway has locations outside of Canada.

Most of our grocery stores, Safeway aside, are owned by one of a few tremendously rich families who are all from rural Nova Scotia. For some reason.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

User avatar
PolakoVoador
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: Today I Learned

Postby PolakoVoador » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

Today I learned a collective of turtles is called a bale

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9990
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Today I Learned

Postby addams » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:51 am UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Today I learned a collective of turtles is called a bale

A Bale of Turtles?
Not a Bale of Hay?

Now what are we going to call hay?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6238
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Thesh » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:48 am UTC

TIL: Snake Oil is high in Omega 3 fatty acids

So whenever you see someone selling fish oil, let them know that you can get the same benefits from snake oil.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Adacore » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:02 am UTC

Thesh wrote:TIL: Snake Oil is high in Omega 3 fatty acids

So whenever you see someone selling fish oil, let them know that you can get the same benefits from snake oil.

I didn't know this. Having read up about it a bit, it looks like snake oil was originally (in the 19th century or so) a genuine health supplement from China, but because it was just an exotic viscous liquid and genuine Chinese water snake oil was expensive and hard to come by, scammers started making fake 'snake oil', and eventually using 'snake oil' to refer to the dodgy goods peddled by crooked merchants became the normal usage.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9990
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Today I Learned

Postby addams » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:09 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
Thesh wrote:TIL: Snake Oil is high in Omega 3 fatty acids

So whenever you see someone selling fish oil, let them know that you can get the same benefits from snake oil.

I didn't know this. Having read up about it a bit, it looks like snake oil was originally (in the 19th century or so) a genuine health supplement from China, but because it was just an exotic viscous liquid and genuine Chinese water snake oil was expensive and hard to come by, scammers started making fake 'snake oil', and eventually using 'snake oil' to refer to the dodgy goods peddled by crooked merchants became the normal usage.

Yes. All of that is true.
Snake Oil could be nearly anything.
Like Street Drugs, today.
When done correctly in the US, Snake Oil had Morphine in it.

I learned that Frisians are German Humans and Equine.
https://www.google.com/search?q=friesia ... 80&bih=738
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Fire Brns
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

I always thought it was that snake oil was discounted because it was made by "stupid foreigners". After all at the time it first came around asians were not held in very high esteem and so anything they made was seen negatively.

addams wrote:I learned that Frisians are German Humans and Equine.
https://www.google.com/search?q=friesia ... 80&bih=738
Yes, the horses are pretty, the Germans... well that's up to personal opinions.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

User avatar
olubunmi
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby olubunmi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

There are also Dutch Frisians.

TIL how to set intradermal, subcutaneous and intramuscular injections.
I think this will be a fun year.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby emceng » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

Yesterday I learned a better way to apply grout.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9990
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Today I Learned

Postby addams » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:00 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:I always thought it was that snake oil was discounted because it was made by "stupid foreigners". After all at the time it first came around asians were not held in very high esteem and so anything they made was seen negatively.

addams wrote:I learned that Frisians are German Humans and Equine.
https://www.google.com/search?q=friesia ... 80&bih=738
Yes, the horses are pretty, the Germans... well that's up to personal opinions.


The Asians where you were may have been dismissed.
The Asians where I was were not.

Well; Sometimes.
The early years were very difficult.

The early years of the American West were tough on most people.
The Asians had a special status. Is it ok to write about it, now?

Black Men were perceived as a threat to White Men.
That was very dangerous to the Black Men.
Black Men have been killed and worse for being Beautiful.

Asian Men on the other hand had the status of Women.
That was very fucking handy.

Some of the pop rumors or Lies about Asian Men helped to perpetuate the prejudice.
Like women, Asian Men were given some weird supernatural qualities by those that did not know anything.

Some of the skills must have seemed supernatural.
I am sorry the Black Men could not fly under the Radar Screen, like Asian Men did.

Not all, but many Asian Men came to the US with Math and Science skills that looked like Magic to ignorant Whites.
Asian Men were not large and threatening. Asian Men did Woman's work.

Some of that shit is still going on. It is funny. shh. Don't tell.

by olubunmi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:41 am UTC

There are also Dutch Frisians.

TIL how to set intradermal, subcutaneous and intramuscular injections.
I think this will be a fun year.

Yes. It will be a fun year.
Are you Nursing or Medical?
There is a little difference.

That stuff is fun. Sort of.
It is also a lot of responsibility.

Are you Dutch?
Are you Friesian?
Oh! A Friesian on a Friesian.
That might be good!
Spoiler:
xkcd. Of course, that will be taken in the worse possible way.
Yes, Dorothy. That is where little Friesians come from.

None of that Zeus and the Mare stuff.
It is against the law to even think it.


Are the Dutch Frisians pretty?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
SOSkanesumi ARK
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:15 am UTC
Location: C springs, colorado
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SOSkanesumi ARK » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:27 am UTC

Today I learned that most types of spray paint eat away and thus cause dangerous fumes if used on Styrofoam, good thing my pops gave me that pro tip before I started painting....
Navi> hey luke hows han these days?
<luke> han?
<Navi> solo
* luke facepalms

User avatar
olubunmi
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby olubunmi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:54 am UTC

addams wrote:
by olubunmi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:41 am UTC

There are also Dutch Frisians.

TIL how to set intradermal, subcutaneous and intramuscular injections.
I think this will be a fun year.

Yes. It will be a fun year.
Are you Nursing or Medical?
There is a little difference.

That stuff is fun. Sort of.
It is also a lot of responsibility.

Are you Dutch?
Are you Friesian?
Oh! A Friesian on a Friesian.
That might be good!
Spoiler:
xkcd. Of course, that will be taken in the worse possible way.
Yes, Dorothy. That is where little Friesians come from.

None of that Zeus and the Mare stuff.
It is against the law to even think it.


Are the Dutch Frisians pretty?


I'm Dutch, but not Friesian. I have a Friesian friend who owns a horse, not sure if its a Friesian though.
And as for Nursing or Medical, I'm neither, really.
I study Clinical Technology, which basically requires me to well, understand the technology used in hospitals.
But I also had to learn anatomy/physiology/pathology and such. And starting this year, clinical skills.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

today i learned hitlers jaw bone was found in his remains and confirmed to be his by dental records, and the history channel is a bunch of lying butts.
Image

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby DSenette » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:today i learned hitlers jaw bone was found in his remains and confirmed to be his by dental records, and the history channel is a bunch of lying butts.

the megaladon must have swam ashore and planted the evidence

or....you know

Image
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

well i did know about that whole megaladon incident.

but you expect some factual accuracy when talking about a real thing where literally MILLIONS of people died.
Image

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26203
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

The History channel turned to shit sometime in the mid 2000s. I have no idea why*, but there we are.


*I know exactly why. Money. 100,000 watch a WWII documentary. 9,000,000 will watch Pawn Stars.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

To be fair, I can't think of any subject more tired than WWII when it comes to documentaries. There must be literally hundreds of them. WWII has long overstayed it's cultural relevance. There are barely any people left alive to actually remember it first hand.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby emceng » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

That's true. I mean I enjoy hearing about WW2, and there are undoubtedly many things I haven't learned about it. But hearing about Omaha beach for the thousandths freaking time is boring. Hmm, I wonder if there are any Brit or Canuckistan documentaries that concentrate on their beaches.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

How about a WWI documentary for once? Or the Napoleonic wars. When was the last time you saw a documentary about that?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Zarq » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

I'm still waiting for a WWI game.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

As far as wars go, the WWI experience REALLY sucked. Between the endless trench warfare, and the mustard gas, it just wouldn't make a very appealing game. Unless you want to go for the whole hopelessness of war theme.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1810
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Today I Learned

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:As far as wars go, the WWI experience REALLY sucked. Between the endless trench warfare, and the mustard gas, it just wouldn't make a very appealing game. Unless you want to go for the whole hopelessness of war theme.


There are a number of WWI flight combat sims (older ones, anyways), but I think a WWI FPS would be pretty badass (especially if you did it on the Kinect - make people climb over the trenches, under barbed wire, etc).
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The History channel turned to shit sometime in the mid 2000s.


Image
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:There are a number of WWI flight combat sims (older ones, anyways), but I think a WWI FPS would be pretty badass (especially if you did it on the Kinect - make people climb over the trenches, under barbed wire, etc).


I dislike the idea of kinect because of the lack of feedback. Suppose you stand up while crawling: while your soldier gets rended in the bum by pointy barbs, you don't feel a fucking thing, despite acting the motion.

Some people suggest using the occulus rift with a fleshlight. Might be an interesting hardware (hehe, get it?) project.

Fire Brns
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Fire Brns » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:59 am UTC

If history channel played the black and white "all quiet on the western front" it would be more accurate than half the shows they have now.

What would a WW1 fps even feature? Restarting the level 400 times because you get shot trying to cross no mans land? Having the remote shake as you sit in a bunker during an artillery siege? Trying not to get sniped as you run a message to a command post?
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:17 am UTC

Today I learned that xkcd fanfiction exists:

http://www.fanfiction.net/search.php?ke ... type=story


Eye opener.


SecondTalon wrote:The History channel turned to shit sometime in the mid 2000s. I have no idea why*, but there we are.


History Channel has a second channel, called History 2 (H2). They're... marginally better. You do get some actual history stuff on there... less and less actual "documentaries", but they do show History more frequently than the actual History Channel.

Of course, History Channel is now much more Reality (TV, not as in actual reality) than it is "conspiracy Nostradamus Aliens 2012". They still have them, but not as often. As a result these have in part moved to H2.


Television in general went downhill (in a lot of places) in the mid-2000s. Most cartoons, for instance.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9990
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Today I Learned

Postby addams » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:36 am UTC

The BBC will sometimes allow Foreigners to watch what they do.
Those guys do some good TV. The internet has BBC stuff, sometimes.

I know the us TV has tanked.
I think the us TV is an instrument of propaganda.

It is not that big a deal of a thing to write.
TV is propaganda. All of it. Don't get angry.

All of everything that we humans tell each other is forming our Cultural World.
The BBC does propaganda, too. They tell you what they are doing. They do it and then tell you what they did.

They used to run a little low on excitement and outrage.
They have not many Channels. They used to have The Prince on TV talking about Compost.

It was a Great Program! In the US there is Outrage and Excitement every fucking Moment! Every Moment is Expensive!
I watched The Prince talking about compost like a man that knows compost. I found it charming.

The BBC does not need a History Channel. They have History.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26203
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:32 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:The History channel turned to shit sometime in the mid 2000s.


[img]Image[/img]

Lies. We joked about the Hitler channel when I was in high school (94-98)


Anyway, TV went to shit when they realized that people would practically pay to be on the TV and shout at each other and have completely fabricated feuds and so on. You don't have to pay your stars, or at least not pay them much, and you don't really need many writers. Several editors, but you can get them cheap for the big culls of footage and have a Real Editor go over the final draft.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9990
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Today I Learned

Postby addams » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:36 am UTC

olubunmi wrote:
addams wrote:
by olubunmi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:41 am UTC

There are also Dutch Frisians.

TIL how to set intradermal, subcutaneous and intramuscular injections.
I think this will be a fun year.

Yes. It will be a fun year.
Are you Nursing or Medical?
There is a little difference.

That stuff is fun. Sort of.
It is also a lot of responsibility.

Are you Dutch?
Are you Friesian?
Oh! A Friesian on a Friesian.
That might be good!
Spoiler:
xkcd. Of course, that will be taken in the worse possible way.
Yes, Dorothy. That is where little Friesians come from.

None of that Zeus and the Mare stuff.
It is against the law to even think it.


Are the Dutch Frisians pretty?


I'm Dutch, but not Friesian. I have a Friesian friend who owns a horse, not sure if its a Friesian though.
And as for Nursing or Medical, I'm neither, really.
I study Clinical Technology, which basically requires me to well, understand the technology used in hospitals.
But I also had to learn anatomy/physiology/pathology and such. And starting this year, clinical skills.

What?
Clinical Technology?
You invent Things?
You Maintain Things?
You are giving injections?

Oh! You must know how the tools are used.
You must be able to use the tools, with your own hands.
That makes sense. You are working under direct supervision?

How much Pathology? That gets weird.
Trama is weird. Pathology is weird, too.

Today I learned, People do have a Too Much Information Button.
I pushed a man's Too Much Information Button.

I wanted him to know. He was interested in the subject.
He wanted to stop knowing. I decided he could handle the rest of the information.

I have had pathology, too. I can explain some of that stuff. The poor man.
Syphilis. One of the scary ones.

He is part of an At Risk population.
I told him. He said, like many others say, "I would know if I had something like that."
I told him, "No. That is not so."

Then I went on to explain.
He was so creeped out.
The poor man.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Today I Learned

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:01 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:As far as wars go, the WWI experience REALLY sucked. Between the endless trench warfare, and the mustard gas, it just wouldn't make a very appealing game. Unless you want to go for the whole hopelessness of war theme.
There was a whole series of battles that happened before trench warfare on the western front. Proper battles of maneuver, with cavalry and armoured cars. You don't need to cover a whole 4 years of one of the largest conflicts ever in a game.

And that's not even counting the African, Middle Eastern and Asian fronts, which also saw non-trench warfare.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:As far as wars go, the WWI experience REALLY sucked. Between the endless trench warfare, and the mustard gas, it just wouldn't make a very appealing game. Unless you want to go for the whole hopelessness of war theme.
There was a whole series of battles that happened before trench warfare on the western front. Proper battles of maneuver, with cavalry and armoured cars. You don't need to cover a whole 4 years of one of the largest conflicts ever in a game.

And that's not even counting the African, Middle Eastern and Asian fronts, which also saw non-trench warfare.


well, looks like i know how im filling my reading time tonight.
Image


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests