Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

3fj

Re: Today You Learned

Postby 3fj » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:I learned that I'm apparently immune to this phenomenon that causes some people to read the entirety of a webcomic's archives when someone else mentions one that they haven't heard of.

I recently decided that i needed to read the entire archives of penny arcade. It tickles me how old the 'new' references are now. "Hey, the PS2 is going to be a pile of shit!" and older. It just seems like ages ago.

That when the internet breaks "Its no big deal, it can wait 10 minutes till i'm done with star trek so your not in my way whilst you fix it" is the least appropriate response to "the internet has stopped working" ever.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:I learned that I'm apparently immune to this phenomenon that causes some people to read the entirety of a webcomic's archives when someone else mentions one that they haven't heard of.

^ Same.

Also, I learned that starting off the day with 2 hours of maths, while listening to music and watching it rain outside puts me in a nice productive mood for the rest of the day, woop!

kriel

Postby kriel » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

That I have posted in exactly 100 topics. Now, All I need to do is get my next... 4? posts without posting in a new topic...

EDIT: 5, my bad. >< Was trying to do it from memory.

EDIT2: And any post referencing your postcount must force you to stop posting for a significant amount of time; usually involving at least a day.

MirrorWing
Location: The tile adjacent to Ceiling Cat's, watchin' you masturbate.

Postby MirrorWing » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

Today, I learned that I actually enjoy being housewifey. My (male) friend broke a button off of his pants, and asked me if I would sew it back on for him. (Because he'd just done the same thing to his other pair of pants and didn't want to have to ask his mother again). I couldn't have lunged for my sewing supplies faster. It's kind of fun, doing something girly to help someone else out. :)
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Image <--My life in a nutshell.

Spoiler:

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

Oh me yarm! Mirror Wing is GIRL!?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:Oh me yarm! Mirror Wing is GIRL!?

What?? Who's a girl?? Where's a girl??
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Spoiler:

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

A girl? On my Internet?! I don't think so...
多么现在棕色母牛?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

I have to keep reminding myself that.
I keep thinking MirrorWing is some guy I recognise who likes sandwiches.
Ⓞⓞ◯

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I have to keep reminding myself that.
I keep thinking MirrorWing is some guy I recognise who likes sandwiches.

Well, I do like sandwiches... :P

Spoiler:

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

Ahhh...
That's good.
Do you look a little like that person in your avatar?
Ⓞⓞ◯

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Do you look a little like that person in your avatar?

No, but I've cosplayed as his daughter before. :D

I need to fix up my metalkini, actually... Halloween kind of snuck up on me and it's got a few fixes I have to make from when I wore it to Megacon...

Spoiler:

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

Well, I can put up with that.
You're connected quite closely.

Today I learned everything you just said.
Ⓞⓞ◯

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

I learned that this spot on my leg is probably ringworm. The irony is that because of something on my thumb, I'm already going to be picking up an anti-fungal cream from the pharmacy and the pharmacist said it should help with the ringworm, too.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

Today, thanks to wikipedia, I learned that ringworm is not, in fact, caused by a worm, and has nothing to do with worms or bugs or anything else horrendously squiggy.

....it's still icky, though. Just not "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD GET IT OFF ME!!!" squiggy.

Spoiler:

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

Today I learned that I can be quite convincing and vehement even when arguing for a position I totally disagree with.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Today I learned I don't know a freaking thing about Thai.

Or any place in Thailand outside of Bangkok.

Which is very annoying considering I've spent all day trying to enter a bunch of Thai addresses into this here database.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:Today I learned that I can be quite convincing and vehement even when arguing for a position I totally disagree with.

Augh, I've gotten in trouble doing that before...in one of my high school social studies and health classes, we used to have debates all the time. I would always take the unfavorable side just because if I didn't, no one else would, and the debate would get nowhere.

The teacher apprieciated the gesture, but having to explain to people afterwards that no, that's not actually what I believe, got reaaalllllllllyyy frustrating.

Spoiler:

Silvyr

Postby Silvyr » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

Today I learned that people *really* like my cookies....

Like.. I only bake every now and then... and somehow, when I do, EVERYONE knows about it... like.. people I don't even know XD and they are addicted to my cookies... my friend has been asking me to make him cookies for a while, so I finally did because I felt bad because I made a pie this weekend and he only got one piece [turns out people really like my pies too XD ] so I brought him two dozen of my cookies, and then a few dozen extra, and they were completely gone before 11 a.m. XD I even had my physics teacher come find me after school asking for more but I was out.

Also, I learned that none of my super close friends will attend a concert with me last minute no matter how nicely I ask, but by simply mentioning that it's a Children of Bodom, Black Dahlia Murder, and Between the Buried and Me concert to a girl that I'm kinda friends with, but don't know extremely well, and she'll want to go right away. So yay! At least I'm not going alone anymore.

Spoiler:
one of my friends was supposed to go with me, and we've had this planned for months. But she never tells her father any of her plans in advance, and I've been telling her for three weeks, every day, that she NEEDS to let him know so nothing last minute will render her unable to go. Of course, she completely disregards me and doesn't bother to tell him until after 10 last night, when the concert is tonight. *sigh* Naturally. She can't come because she didn't give him enough warning time because she has physical therapy for her foot tonight and it would cost over $100 to cancel it without 24 hour warning. Had she even brought up the subject to him even two days ago when I begged her to make sure everything would work out, none of this would've happened. *sigh* Oh well. I love Tayler. She's amazing. And it'll be a fun concert with her tonight ^.^
Asmodieus wrote:You're a Cullen, Silvyr.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

MirrorWing wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:Today I learned that I can be quite convincing and vehement even when arguing for a position I totally disagree with.

Augh, I've gotten in trouble doing that before...in one of my high school social studies and health classes, we used to have debates all the time. I would always take the unfavorable side just because if I didn't, no one else would, and the debate would get nowhere.

The teacher apprieciated the gesture, but having to explain to people afterwards that no, that's not actually what I believe, got reaaalllllllllyyy frustrating.

No it didn't!!!
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

LoginError

Postby LoginError » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:31 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:Oh me yarm! Mirror Wing is GIRL!?

When I read this, in my head I heard the Heavy Weapons guy from team fortress
saying it. In much the same way he says "<Classname> is SPY!"

Today I learned I need to play less tf2 :S

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Today I learned that the man I love has a girlfriend.

I also learned that when I most wish I could cry, I can't do anything but sit in the dark and stare blankly at nothing.

Spoiler:

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am UTC

MirrorWing wrote:Today I learned that the man I love has a girlfriend.

I also learned that when I most wish I could cry, I can't do anything but sit in the dark and stare blankly at nothing.

Today I learned that I am not the man MirrorWing loves. I had my suspicions, but now you've gone and spread it all out over the internet. Do you really hate me so? :cry:
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am UTC

*big hug*
At least there is a community here that will always support you. Oh, and this might help too.

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Today I learned that posting a small yet poignant 'fess in the confessional thread sends a shockwave through the tubes, tracing down a fora member at random and striking them down with a depression and angst which far outstrips my own. I feel like I should experiment more to bring the phenomenon under closer scrutiny, but I worry about the dangers further confessions on my part would entail.

If only I could find a way to use my powers for good.
Have you given up?

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

Today I learned how nice it can feel really nice to make a friend feel better by buying them lunch and not making them talk about serious stuff.

Sorry to hear that by the way MirrorWing, I know the situation well. We cannot chose who we fall in love with, sadly.
The first one to fall asleep when the revolution comes.
Cheese wrote:We should never talk ever again. Ever.

michaelandjimi wrote:"No, cease your sexual activities! The communists will invade!"

Noc

Postby Noc » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

King of Frogs wrote:Sorry to hear that by the way MirrorWing, I know the situation well. We cannot chose who we fall in love with, sadly.

Contrary to popular opinion, it's actually possible to forestall inadvisable crushes if you catch them quickly enough and don't mind becoming a cold, emotionless bastard.

Then again, if you're considering the cost/benefit analysis of terminating a crush, you might already be there.
Have you given up?

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

Noc wrote:
King of Frogs wrote:Sorry to hear that by the way MirrorWing, I know the situation well. We cannot chose who we fall in love with, sadly.

Contrary to popular opinion, it's actually possible to forestall inadvisable crushes if you catch them quickly enough and don't mind becoming a cold, emotionless bastard.

Then again, if you're considering the cost/benefit analysis of terminating a crush, you might already be there.

A sort of economist's approach to relationships - not sure if I could do that, though I am now curious as to what the balance sheet would look like. But yeah, I'd probably go further and say that if you're doing a cost/benefit analysis of terminating a crush, then you're probably not in love; I don't think my nieve little mind could cope with someone being that cold :( .

michaelandjimi wrote:"No, cease your sexual activities! The communists will invade!"

Noc

Postby Noc » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

King of Frogs wrote:
Spoiler:
Noc wrote:

A sort of economist's approach to relationships - not sure if I could do that, though I am now curious as to what the balance sheet would look like. But yeah, I'd probably go further and say that if you're doing a cost/benefit analysis of terminating a crush, then you're probably not in love; I don't think my nieve little mind could cope with someone being that cold :( .

This is because love is a deep and powerful emotion that conquers all things! Consequentially, it's vitally important to catch it in its larval stages before it gets its hooks in. Otherwise you have to resort to painful and invasive procedures to dig out the heart-barbs. That, or the thing dies and explodes concussively inside your chest.

But the technique is a sound one, and is tremendously useful in a variety of situations! For instance, when you realize that you're the sort of person who habitually develops crushes on anyone who's nice to you, and don't want to be that guy. Or when you know (or suspect) that the object of your affection is already in a relationship. Or if you're rebounding and realize that this is not a good idea.

The price, of course, is that being ruthlessly analytical of your own motivations and actions turns you into the sort of person who is ruthlessly analytical of your own motivations and actions. It's just a matter of whether or not you'd rather be this, or be that guy.
Have you given up?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:03 pm UTC

So, the choices are creepy clingy guy or logical distant guy.
Hmmm...
Ⓞⓞ◯

Noc

Postby Noc » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:So, the choices are creepy clingy guy or logical distant guy.
Hmmm...

Not quite. You could also be a creepy distant guy. Or a logical clingy guy, who will get emotionally attached and then argue with you over why you're being a twat for not reciprocating. We call these people "Stalkers" and "jerks," respectively.

There are no other possibilities! I have Science has ruled them out.
Have you given up?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Damn Science and it's conclusions!
Ⓞⓞ◯

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

Today I learned that it is possible to sleep sort of pushing your hands back in such a way that when you wake up, you have bruises around your wrists and it looks like someone gave them to you.

Huh.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Today I learned that it is possible to sleep sort of pushing your hands back in such a way that when you wake up, you have bruises around your wrists and it looks like someone gave them to you.

Huh.
... should probably not sleep that way. That or invent a really awesome story about where the bruises came from.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

Well, I didn't do it on purpose, you know.

Not entirely sure what the story would be. They're obviously not bruises of impact; they're long and thin and across the entire back of both my wrists. They aren't quite finger shaped, but...hm...I suppose I could just say they happened *when* I was doing something heroic and not explain *how.* "When I was rescuing the helpless baby from King Vortegan."

Noc

Postby Noc » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Well, I didn't do it on purpose, you know.

Not entirely sure what the story would be. They're obviously not bruises of impact; they're long and thin and across the entire back of both my wrists. They aren't quite finger shaped, but...hm...I suppose I could just say they happened *when* I was doing something heroic and not explain *how.* "When I was rescuing the helpless baby from King Vortegan."

Or you could go the opposite route and thicken the plot. And say you got them from "falling down the stairs." This works better if you live on a first-floor apartment.
Have you given up?

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

Heh. I'm on the seventh floor.

Silvyr

Postby Silvyr » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

I learned that mosh pits are absolutely terrifying, but extremely fun at the same time. Also, I learned not many girls mosh, and painfully learned why XD But people in mosh pits are nice at least :D [at least the ones I was in] They knocked me down, then some other guy would come pick me up and stick me back in teh crowd so I don't get trampled completely. haha. it was fun.

One last thing I learned, is that apparently, being thrown into a mosh pit and coming to school all bruised the next day with a concert tee shirt as more proof, is a fairly sufficient excuse as to why none of your homework is done o.O The worst I got was written up by my french teacher, who then told me I can turn in my homework on monday for full credit, but I still get written up. Sweet. At least it won't bring down my grade :D
Asmodieus wrote:You're a Cullen, Silvyr.

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Noc wrote: For instance, when you realize that you're the sort of person who habitually develops crushes on anyone who's nice to you, and don't want to be that guy. Or when you know (or suspect) that the object of your affection is already in a relationship. Or if you're rebounding and realize that this is not a good idea.

I just realised that I have been all three of those people - this is disturbing.

I have found a third option to the others of distant and cold and intense and creepy - the passive and apologetic guy, like unmentioned class, the asshole, this group is both tempting and unattractive to women, but it does mean that you have the ability to accept what the object of your attraction has to say and see it as a very sensible thing.

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

Today, I learned that spontaneous fevers really suck.

I just laid down earlier today and as if it were triggered by the act of my back touching a mattress, I was completely feverish, despite feeling absolutely fine five minutes prior.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:25 pm UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:At least there is a community here that will always support you.

LSR
Spoiler:
While a nice sentiment, it's just not enough...I don't need support, I need a way to fix this. There has to be a way to stop this, to get her to go out with a man who doesn't already have someone who's completely devoted to him. I mean, I spoke with the girl less than a month ago, and she swore up and down that they were just friends and that she didn't want to be more than friends. All of a sudden, he's driving her car and kissing her in front of me and I just feel gutted...

Especially since he did things with her EXACTLY how he did them with me. Changed his major to hers, brought her to his place to watch movies, got her to stay overnight after said movies, took her to a concert, and then BAM. I mean, hell, their anniversary is exactly ONE WEEK after ours.

Which prompted me to learn that I was not special, nor unique.

I also learned today that cats are not as uncaring or oblivious as they let on. They're extremely empathic and know just when they're needed.

....I also learned that it's possible for me to be typing a post and completely forget about it for hours. I think I started writing this at, like... 2PM Eastern time... o_O WTF.

@ Silvyr: Augh, I've never been in a mosh pit before, but someone (I can't remember which of my exes it was... the first, probably...) told me about something called the "Wall of Death", where the concert attendees split to two sides of the concert venue, and then run full force at each other. o_O Sounds...painful, to say the least.

Closest I've ever come was at the Nightwish concert last month. Some idiot tried to run through the crowd to get to the front, and we all collectively pushed him back and glared daggers at him. I got to the front by asking people if I could move ahead of them, not by shoving. That just hurt. >.< Jerk pushed me right into the person who was leaning on the railing, and she got the full-force hit of metal-on-chest.

Argh, feel better, Ninja! :( Being sick is no fun... (Unless you have someone to dote on you, in which case...)

Spoiler:

Return to “General”