Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:08 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:
Apparently Anonymous wrote:TIL: In Russian, saying "That's all. I'm leaving"* is a socially acceptable way of closing a conversation.

*technically, they just say "All. Leaving" since the structure of the language is a bit different.

Thats interesting. cultural, or language phenomenon? Perhaps it doesn't quite translate well, and means something more along the lines of a friendly "thanks, thats all i needed. goodbye now." I don't know.
Usually translated as ""Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you"

Apparently when controlled for vernacular and all, it more accurately translates to "Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. It's your funeral. "

Which is.. completely different.

Did you mistype something? Because I read it thrice and I'm not seeing the big difference. The idioms are really similar in meaning.

Scenario 1.

"Hey, I'm going to go hit on your girlfriend."
"I will bury you" - meaning "I'm going to deliver some sort of physical harm to you if you take that action"

Scenario 2.

"Hey, I'm going to go hit on your girlfriend"
"It's your funeral" - meaning "She's going to laugh openly in your face, you schmuck."

The bury bit is a direct threat. It's your funeral means, essentially, you're the one digging the hole, you're the one rigging up the soil to fall in and you're the one laying down, waiting for it to happen. Don't get pissed at us for bringing flowers. You set the shit up, not us.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Zarq wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
Apparently Anonymous wrote:TIL: In Russian, saying "That's all. I'm leaving"* is a socially acceptable way of closing a conversation.

*technically, they just say "All. Leaving" since the structure of the language is a bit different.

Thats interesting. cultural, or language phenomenon? Perhaps it doesn't quite translate well, and means something more along the lines of a friendly "thanks, thats all i needed. goodbye now." I don't know.
Usually translated as ""Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you"

Apparently when controlled for vernacular and all, it more accurately translates to "Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. It's your funeral. "

Which is.. completely different.

Did you mistype something? Because I read it thrice and I'm not seeing the big difference. The idioms are really similar in meaning.

Scenario 1.

"Hey, I'm going to go hit on your girlfriend."
"I will bury you" - meaning "I'm going to deliver some sort of physical harm to you if you take that action"

Scenario 2.

"Hey, I'm going to go hit on your girlfriend"
"It's your funeral" - meaning "She's going to laugh openly in your face, you schmuck."

The bury bit is a direct threat. It's your funeral means, essentially, you're the one digging the hole, you're the one rigging up the soil to fall in and you're the one laying down, waiting for it to happen. Don't get pissed at us for bringing flowers. You set the shit up, not us.

Crap!
I would have gotten that Wrong.

Spoiler:
I thought, "I will bury you."
Means, If you go before I go. I will bury you.

I thought, "It's your funeral."
Means, "Order the Flowers. It is your last Act as a living person. It should please you."

See?
I'm Not good at cultural stuff.

Thank God, you are.
I'll attempt to avoid those conversations.

I'd like a social life without a lot of Terminal Threats.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:15 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:That said, my essentially Russian sister-in-law is usually pretty direct, so.. there's that too. So probably cultural, in that it's okay to say "Yo, I'm done here, so I'm out" and it's up to the other person to put forth a convincing argument to make them stay, as keeping someone around when they want to leave is pretty rude.

You know, come to think of it, my coworker who grew up in russia til the age of 14 is pretty direct as well. I guess i just don't really notice it because i am rather direct as well, despite being an american. Can't say its a bad thing either, sometimes its more relaxing for someone to just come out and say what they mean.

SecondTalon wrote:Also, never drink with Russians. Especially when you're a lightweight. I don't think I sobered up until I was back in Louisville, something like 20 hours later.

I wouldn't know about this one.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:41 pm UTC

Peoples I have known and drunk with, by alcohol tolerance (not a complete list of cultures).

Hungarians
English
Greeks
Germans
French
Koreans
Chinese
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:51 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Peoples I have known and drunk with, by alcohol tolerance (not a complete list of cultures).

Hungarians
English
Greeks
Germans
French
Koreans
Chinese

Is that rating their average drinker or their best performer?
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:20 pm UTC

Average, though not of representative sample sizes.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:37 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:That said, my essentially Russian sister-in-law is usually pretty direct, so.. there's that too. So probably cultural, in that it's okay to say "Yo, I'm done here, so I'm out" and it's up to the other person to put forth a convincing argument to make them stay, as keeping someone around when they want to leave is pretty rude.

You know, come to think of it, my coworker who grew up in russia til the age of 14 is pretty direct as well. I guess i just don't really notice it because i am rather direct as well, despite being an american. Can't say its a bad thing either, sometimes its more relaxing for someone to just come out and say what they mean.

SecondTalon wrote:Also, never drink with Russians. Especially when you're a lightweight. I don't think I sobered up until I was back in Louisville, something like 20 hours later.

I wouldn't know about this one.

I know for a Fact it is easy to Keep Up.
If my glass holds Water.

I had a Friend, one time.
He was Russian.

So funny.
How drunk does a person have to be to taste Water and decide its not good Vodka?

People are hysterical.
I am a people, too.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:52 pm UTC

But are you Everyday People?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:53 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:But are you Everyday People?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUUhDoCx8zc

I thought I was.
The definition used to be more inclusive.

I do dishes.
How much more everyday can a person get?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:07 am UTC

On the subject of poorly translated idioms, I recall reading once that Saddam Hussein said, I think during the Gulf War, that that would be the "mother of all wars", which we English-speakers took to mean "this is gonna be the biggest fuckin' war ever", and laughed at. But apparently the more accurate meaning is "this war will spawn many other wars on down the line into the future". (Which, given that it pretty directly spawned at least one sequel about a decade later, may not have been inaccurate.)
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:11 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:On the subject of poorly translated idioms, I recall reading once that Saddam Hussein said, I think during the Gulf War, that that would be the "mother of all wars", which we English-speakers took to mean "this is gonna be the biggest fuckin' war ever", and laughed at. But apparently the more accurate meaning is "this war will spawn many other wars on down the line into the future". (Which, given that it pretty directly spawned at least one sequel about a decade later, may not have been inaccurate.)

One!!
The fucking thing had a litter!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:24 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:The fact that "we will bury you" is active and has a "we" in it makes it come across much more agressive in English than "it's your funeral" or even "we will outlast you". It's sort of the difference between "we will end you" and "you will come to an end". The first comes off as a threat, the other as a boast.

Yeah, when I was young, I was told that the "we will bury you" thing was intended as a boast- America is just the new kid on the block, but Russia's been around (in one form or another) for over a thousand years, and Russia will still be going strong when America's 15 minutes of fame is over. (FWIW, I grew up during the Cold War era).

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:39 am UTC

Yeah, that's what I was saying. It was intended as a boast but the translation made it sound like a threat.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:59 am UTC

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you, eSOANEM. Sorry if that wasn't 100% crystal clear.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:29 am UTC

Pope John Paul I was actually pretty goddamned (wrong adjective) amazingly awesome, but unfortunately reigned only 33 days before dying in bed.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:11 pm UTC

Ah, no. It was clear. I just can't read well. Sorry.

>_<
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:28 pm UTC

Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:46 pm UTC

I did not learn it, today.
I saw another person learn it.

Experence counts for Something.
Experence is not Everyting.

A person can do a Thing;
Every-fucking-Day for Years and Years.

And! Never do it Right!

Some people have a very high regard for Common Knowledge.
Working with Common Knowledge some people, as Adults, don't know how or why to get dressed.

I swear.
Not all.
Many.

There are many other Tasks of Daily Living that are personal;
Holding a great deal of personal freedom and variation that are not being completed well, by Many if not Most.

Think about it.
Who taught you to get dressed?

Do you Still do it, That Way?
Was it your Little Brother?

Did he know, what the fuck, he was doing?
You got your shoes on the right feet? yey.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

3rdtry

Postby 3rdtry » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:25 pm UTC

TIL the 127.0.0.1 address has been blocked from Wikipedia for vandalism several times.

Also (completely unrelated) TIL that Panasonic made a combo Blu-ray/VHS player. For all your high-definition, 7.1-channel audio VHS needs!

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:19 am UTC

Nuclear fusion initiated by pounding plasma in a vortex of molten lead with steam hammers may actually become a thing.

tms

Postby tms » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:35 pm UTC

Name inspired by BTTF. :)
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:58 pm UTC

3rdtry wrote:TIL the 127.0.0.1 address has been blocked from Wikipedia for vandalism several times.

Also (completely unrelated) TIL that Panasonic made a combo Blu-ray/VHS player. For all your high-definition, 7.1-channel audio VHS needs!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:14 am UTC

I have the Star Wars VHS tapes where all they did was clean up effects. No additions, no Jabba in New Hope, no Greedo shooting first, just cleaned up effects.

I'd use the shit out of a Blu-Ray VHS combo.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:23 am UTC

Get a VCR, hook it up to your computer (adapters are available), encode the video stream, burn to DVD. Now you don't have to worry about your VHS tapes degrading.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:27 am UTC

I imagine that one of the primary functions of the combo Blu-ray/VHS player is to take your VHS tapes and copy them to DVD or similar using a single integrated device. Thus avoiding the need for complicated cabling and computer-based encoding.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:56 am UTC

The ones I looked at didn't have a burner in it, so they can't convert VHS to Blu-Ray. The main purpose is that there still seems to be a niche market of people who don't feel the need to replace their VHS tapes with DVDs or Blu-Ray.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:51 pm UTC

My wife has been hanging on to our VHS tapes, even though we haven't watched one in 10 years. Recently our DVD/VHS player died, and I convinced her we should buy a BluRay/DVD player and just toss out our VHS. She reluctantly agreed. I am glad she didn't know BluRay/VHS players were a thing.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:36 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:I learned (somewhat quickly i may add) How to shift with no clutch

I was driving to a client site somewhat far from my home on the freeway, and hadn't touched my clutch for awhile, just cruising. went to catch a ramp to the next freeway, prcoeed to downshift, *thunk* clutch pedal goes straight to the floor. let me tell ya, taking a 35 MPH turn at 60 isn't any fun at all. after i was on the straightaway, gave my father a call. (at 6 in the morning)

"*grumble* hello?"
"Hey dad? UH, how do i shift with no clutch?"

He gave me a walkthrough of how it worked, and with a few uncomfortable gear grinding trys, finally got the hang of it.

I have this recurring issue with my clutch getting air in it (hydraulic clutch) and i have to bleed it, which restores it to normal for about a week. I think i have some parts to replace.

:( The only way I know how to drive a standard is without a clutch. Its painful for the car, let me tell you.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:24 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
:( The only way I know how to drive a standard is without a clutch. Its painful for the car, let me tell you.

you....wait what?

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:35 pm UTC

You mean transmissions are meant to last more than 3 months?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

tms

Postby tms » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:16 am UTC

Just use third.
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:29 am UTC

TIL Facebook no longer gives me the *option* of using my phone number, but mandatory, holding hostage my ability to log on otherwise. And also to change my username to my real name. So TIL Facebook sucks and I deactivated the account.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:17 am UTC

Jave D wrote:TIL Facebook no longer gives me the *option* of using my phone number, but mandatory, holding hostage my ability to log on otherwise. And also to change my username to my real name. So TIL Facebook sucks and I deactivated the account.

Do the accounts become deactivated on their own?
After no activity; Do they?

I attempted that Art Form.
I did not work for me.

I simply Logged Out.
To Log In, no more.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:22 am UTC

addams wrote:
Jave D wrote:TIL Facebook no longer gives me the *option* of using my phone number, but mandatory, holding hostage my ability to log on otherwise. And also to change my username to my real name. So TIL Facebook sucks and I deactivated the account.

I did not work for me.

I simply Logged Out.
To Log In, no more.

I think you have to request the account be deactivated... And then you have to not login for, like, a year. This includes any services/site that use your Facebook account. At least, that's what I've heard.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:15 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
addams wrote:

I did not work for me.

I simply Logged Out.
To Log In, no more.

I think you have to request the account be deactivated... And then you have to not login for, like, a year. This includes any services/site that use your Facebook account. At least, that's what I've heard.

oh, Dear.
When a person first logs into Facebook, that person joins a large dysfunctional family.
No one gets out of That outfit alive.

(fuck) A man is mortal, his Facebook account is immortal.
I learned that today.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:44 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
addams wrote:

I did not work for me.

I simply Logged Out.
To Log In, no more.

oh, Dear.
When a person first logs into Facebook, that person joins a large dysfunctional family.
No one gets out of That outfit alive.

(fuck) A man is mortal, his Facebook account is immortal.
I learned that today.

Well, shit. Evidently Google is your friend. Or, at least, checking the Facebook FAQ is worthwhile.

How do I deactivate my account?

Deactivate to turn off your account for as long as you want:

Click the account menu at the top right of any Facebook page
Select Settings
Click Security in the left column
Click Deactivate your account
When you deactivate your account, your Timeline and all information associated with it disappears from Facebook immediately. People on Facebook will not be able to search for you or view any of your information.

If you’d like to come back to Facebook anytime after you’ve deactivated your account, you can reactivate your account by logging in with your email and password. Your Timeline will be restored in its entirety (ex: friends, photos and interests). Remember that you will need to have access to the login email address for your account in order to reactivate it.

To permanently delete your account:

Permanently deleting your account means you will not ever be able to reactivate or retrieve any of the content or information you've added. If you would like your account permanently deleted with no option for recovery, please contact us.

Note: Facebook does not use content associated with accounts that have been deactivated or deleted.

Evidently deactivating is easy, but at any point if you use your login it reactivates. This is in line with my previous statement, only instead of a year, go to forever. Permanently deleting the account, though, seems to be a viable option.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:23 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:

you....wait what?

I learned on a 1974 VW autostick Beetle - it didn't have a clutch pedal, but you had to manually change gears. So you end up listening to the engine and changing gears when it sounds right. You can do it with a regular standard too, but as I said, its painful for the car.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:45 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:

you....wait what?

I learned on a 1974 VW autostick Beetle - it didn't have a clutch pedal, but you had to manually change gears. So you end up listening to the engine and changing gears when it sounds right. You can do it with a regular standard too, but as I said, its painful for the car.

Maybe that is where they got the idea for the Simi-Automatic.
I drove one. Loads of shifting. No clutch or something.

It was a strange little car.
I was managing the transmission ok.

The fricking windows brought me to my knees.
I pulled over and surrendered because of the window controls.

Between the tears of laughter and the fog forming in the car, it was not safe to drive.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:

you....wait what?

Oohhhh. I drove one of those (a semi-auto, not a 1974 VW) for a couple months. It was fun.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:52 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Permanently deleting the account, though, seems to be a viable option.

No, permanently deleting the account seems to be something that only Facebook can do. So unless Mark Zuckerberg owes you a life-debt, all you can do is beg and plead and hope.

Return to “General”