How to Save a Life

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

How to Save a Life

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed May 28, 2008 9:36 am UTC

So, who here's saved a life? Awesome feeling isn't it?

Share your stories about it. Oh, and saving someone from immense stupidity or whatever counts, because I'm not sure how many people would have saved lives on here, even though you are all fantastic people.

I've saved my sister from death by drowning. She slipped in a fast moving creek, and without even looking, I grabbed her hand and pulled her out. I'm just that ninja.

Technically I've also saved 9 lives, because I've donated blood three times, and that, they tell me, is the conversion rate.
Probably done some more, but my mind is a flighty temptress and I must go and catch it again.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

eternal luna

Re: How to Save a Life

Postby eternal luna » Wed May 28, 2008 10:02 am UTC

One acquaintance claims that I saved theirs, but I don't think so. So, I haven't (yet; I'll be 16 in just over a month, and ready for the next time the blood van rolls around :D ) but I have had my life saved several times. Mostly from my own hand, but that's another matter...

One thing I've found about How To Save A Life (when the person is going to do something to themselves, and keep in mind this is anecdotal- one size does not fit all) guilt tripping seems to work, when the trip is concerning the person-in-danger's affection for the person-saving-them. A friend of mine once derailed my plans by asking "Why do you hate me so much?" That completely threw me off, and in the time it took me to explain that I did not, in fact, hate them, but rather loved them dearly, they alerted others and got me taken to therapy.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed May 28, 2008 10:12 am UTC

Well, I've had my life saved. Does that count?

On a school sports trip we went white water rafting. It was awesome, but when you got to the actual rapids bit with rocks, we went over the crest of a wave and the raft was tilted so that I was caught by the brunt of it. I fell off into really fast moving water. Several times I almost went under the raft, but the second or third time I collided with the raft I managed to get my hands to grab hold. Then two people hauled me in. Far from being the scariest moment of my life it was actually very cinematic. As I was trying to get my head above the water I could the two people who eventually hauled me back in shouting my name and telling be to grab the oar, then their voices faded when I plunged again and this went on until they grabbed me. When I was back in the raft I was just lying there for a minute and said "Well that was unpleasant". It wasn't particularly scary though. Hell, we even managed to get my oar back afterwards while we were still rafting.

Then my old physics teacher joked about me "looking a little wet". =P

Zero

Postby Zero » Wed May 28, 2008 10:13 am UTC

I've saved several times drunk friends from being hit by a car while crossing the street at night. And vice versa.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed May 28, 2008 10:17 am UTC

Zero wrote:I've saved several times drunk friends from being hit by a car while crossing the street at night. And vice versa.

Several times drunk friends saved you from being hit by a car while crossing the street at night?

I've not really had any of these experiences... Unless yelling at my sister while driving to make sure she knows that she needs to move because she's done something stupid and there's a car bearing down on the passenger side door counts as me saving my own life(and possibly those of the the other people in the car/other car)

Zero

Postby Zero » Wed May 28, 2008 10:27 am UTC

A lil' dumb here, sorry for bad english, sleep privation is the best. Oh, i love you Organic Chemistry.

Alright then...

You know, when you get back home from a party or a disco with friends? When you drink so many "TGVs" and "Feiticeiras" that u can't even walk on your own? That's it.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed May 28, 2008 10:34 am UTC

I was taking the 'vice versa' bit literally...

you have saved drunk friends from being hit by cars... so i assumed that drunk friends have done the same for you ;)

Zero

Postby Zero » Wed May 28, 2008 10:40 am UTC

By vice versa i mean... sometimes I'm sober and take care of the "drunk bunch". Sometimes I'm one of the "drunk bunch". There's always someone sober. :mrgreen:

timt

Postby timt » Wed May 28, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

I was saved by a 4wder the time i came closest to death. One of the first times i rode a 300cc two stoke was out at this 4wd track in the middle of know where i stalled the bike climbing up this rocky passage. I kept kicking it but it wouldn't start. I'm wearing full head to toe body armor in 40C degree direct heat. I became quickly dehydrated so i went under a tree and pretty much stripped everything but my t-shirt and shorts off. Stupidly i only had about a liter of water with me so after drinking that i was still severely dehydrated. At the one point where i had just about accepted my fate that i was going to die i hear this humming noise. Up the pass comes this tray back 4wd. The bloke driving was nice enough to throw the bike on the back and drive me back to the site. As were bumping along all my muscles start to tense and cripple up due to the dehydration, pretty scary feeling as I'd never experienced it before. We get back and i flop down and drink more than I've ever drunk before.

I don't think I've ever directly saved a life before and i don't think the guy who saved me knew how close to death i was.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Wed May 28, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

When i was a kid me and some friends were shooting squirt guns at each other near a pool and some toddler wandered up and fell in. I pulled it out. If it weren't for the fact that it was probably our fault the child fell in the pool in the first place one could argue that i saved its life that day.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed May 28, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

I'm, uh, in the process of saving someone's life?

Long-ish story; the short version (1) his parents won't accept that he's gay and have thus cut him off from [nearly] all forms of electronic communication and (2) he's come close to giving up on life several times.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 28, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

Clearly, it's the cell phone that put teh gay in him.

what the fuck.... So yeah, good work there, rrwoods.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed May 28, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

Despite me being a lifeguard for four summers, I never had to make a save. Kind of ironic.
EDIT: At a pool. Beach lifeguards make like 2 a day at minimum.

SecondTalon wrote:Clearly, it's the cell phone that put teh gay in him.

what the fuck.... So yeah, good work there, rrwoods.

Hah, yes, of course, all that cell-phone radiation... But (I think) that effort is mostly because he never sees his boyfriend face-to-face, so they figure cutting off electronic communication is the "right thing" to do. :-/ Thankfully they don't know that Xbox Live is a form of communication (yet).
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed May 28, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

Zero wrote:I've saved several times drunk friends from being hit by a car while crossing the street at night. And vice versa.

Similar story: I dragged a very drunk friend home to his apartment from the snowy ditch he was planning to fall asleep in. He would not have survived had no-one found him.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Wed May 28, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

I've talked people out of suicide, but I've never really physically saved someones life.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Wed May 28, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

I've donated a lot of blood, but I don't know for sure that it actually saved anyone's life.

I've performed CPR on dozens of people. That should count for a few, even if many of them didn't make it.

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot that I donated a kidney. I'm pretty sure that one counts.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu May 29, 2008 12:05 am UTC

I've saved my best lady friend from harm several times by the simple, automatic action of flinging my arm across her chest before she crosses a road. She is a smart girl but she is usually in a world of her own when crossing roads. :P

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Thu May 29, 2008 7:52 am UTC

By the "not get hit while crossing a road" standard, I have had my life saved by my SO about half a dozen times in the last month alone.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Thu May 29, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

Well, I know first aid, and am the first aider for our guide unit. Fortunately for me, the only thing that has happened since I've been first aider is I managed to break my toe bashing it with a mallet and I sprained my ankle walking back from the toilet.

I'm thinking of joining my university's branch of St John, just to get some more experience in first aid, and hopefully to be able to actually do some on somebody who isn't me.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

jeremy.degroot

Postby jeremy.degroot » Fri May 30, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

Count me in for saving lives by giving blood (any other gallon club members on the fora?)

Omnigord

Postby Omnigord » Sat May 31, 2008 1:26 am UTC

oxoiron wrote:I've donated a lot of blood, but I don't know for sure that it actually saved anyone's life.

I've performed CPR on dozens of people. That should count for a few, even if many of them didn't make it.

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot that I donated a kidney. I'm pretty sure that one counts.

Why can't there be more people like you in this thread, and less whiny kids and their suicidal tendencies?

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sat May 31, 2008 1:42 am UTC

oxoiron wrote:Oh, yeah. I almost forgot that I donated a kidney. I'm pretty sure that one counts.

You win Badass Of The Week :mrgreen:

joff

Postby joff » Sat May 31, 2008 7:05 am UTC

I've also talked someone out of suicide, and donated blood...

Also, my ex-g/f is severely diabetic, and one afternoon, after a late night, she was still sleeping, and I went upstairs to check on her.. She had her eyes open, and was very still.... she looked kinda dead, so I shook her foot, and she kind of responded with a moan... so she was in a pretty catatonic sort of state... I checked her blood sugars and they were like 1.2 (normal is 7-14), so I called the ambulance, and ran downstairs and got the glucacon kit and injected her in the leg with it. By the time the ambulance people turned up (probably 5 minutes) she was coherent again..

That gave me a hell of a scare... if it had been left much longer, it would have been Coma -> Death pretty quickly :-(
mostly_true_comics wrote:...we're forgetting about the geopolitical ramifications of such an incursion. If you think the Morloks, Molemen, and Lord Kinbote are going to sit still while you tunnel through their territory, think again.

28/♂/hetero/NZ

darren

Postby darren » Sat May 31, 2008 7:13 am UTC

oxoiron wrote:I've performed CPR on dozens of people. That should count for a few, even if many of them didn't make it.

What are you, a firefighter? Lifeguard?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat May 31, 2008 7:18 am UTC

joff wrote:Diabeetus

Wow, lucky save. Is she Type 1?

wst

Postby wst » Sat May 31, 2008 5:06 pm UTC

I was at a cafe, on the terrace, near to a little harbour 2 years ago , and there is a narrow path with a rocky bit going up to someones house there. One of the kids fell down it and landed on the rocks, cut her head up. I was sitting there, sipping my drink, and said 'I swear I've just seen a kid fall onto the rocks... oh shit'.
My stepdad, 76 this year, arthritic with 2 replacement knees, ran down about 20 steps to the pontoon, and lifted the girl out of the water where a fisherman had jumped in to carry her to the pontoon. He then ran up the steps to the cafe, and we cleaned her up (shitloads of blood) and got the cafe owner to call an ambulance. My mum and I were trying to calm down the grandmother, who was pretty hefty, and hysterical with fear, when my stepdad got back up the steps. When the grandmother saw the girl, she collapsed. And we kinda stopped her falling flat on her face. Her knees went totally, and we held her torso upright. Which was no mean feat.

Later on a nurse turned up to try to get the girls shoe and watch out of the water, and told us the girl was fine now, only cut in a few places on her scalp and face (hence the blood. The head has a great blood supply). We wouldn't have found out if I hadn't seen her fall in, and the fisherman wasn't able to get the girl out of the water on her own. I was quite chuffed. Plus, the nurse was hot and had a lime green g string.. uh... and the girl was safe :D (Priorities!)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:12 pm UTC

joff wrote:... I checked her blood sugars and they were like 1.2 (normal is 7-14), so I called the ambulance, and ran downstairs and got the glucacon kit and injected her in the leg with it. By the time the ambulance people turned up (probably 5 minutes) she was coherent again..
Giving sugar to someone in a diabetic coma is so-o-o-o gratifying. It's like magic the way they come back to life.
darren wrote:
oxoiron wrote:I've performed CPR on dozens of people. That should count for a few, even if many of them didn't make it.
What are you, a firefighter? Lifeguard?
I used to be an EMT, many moons ago. That's how I know about diabetic recoveries. You always look like a complete hero after you rub a little glucose on someone's gums and she pops back to life.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:54 am UTC

I saved someone from drowning once, but thats about it. For some reason, my zinc levels are too low to give blood :(
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

joff

Postby joff » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:34 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:
joff wrote:Diabeetus

Wow, lucky save. Is she Type 1?

Yeah.

oxoiron wrote:
joff wrote:... I checked her blood sugars and they were like 1.2 (normal is 7-14), so I called the ambulance, and ran downstairs and got the glucacon kit and injected her in the leg with it. By the time the ambulance people turned up (probably 5 minutes) she was coherent again..
Giving sugar to someone in a diabetic coma is so-o-o-o gratifying. It's like magic the way they come back to life.

It really was extremely quick.... I was amazed, and extraordinarily relieved....
mostly_true_comics wrote:...we're forgetting about the geopolitical ramifications of such an incursion. If you think the Morloks, Molemen, and Lord Kinbote are going to sit still while you tunnel through their territory, think again.

28/♂/hetero/NZ

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:19 am UTC

Stayed late in college, for no good reason I can think of. Looked up and out in the courtyard just in time to see a girl collapse in an epileptic fit. Don't know about saving her life, but I managed to stop her repeatedly smashing her head against the concrete floor, which was handy. Beginning of my superhero career, in fact.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:27 pm UTC

I shot the hostage in the leg. Wait, damn, that was Keanu Reeves. Always getting us mixed up.

Blood and plasma donations. That's pretty much it.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:29 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:I shot the hostage in the leg. Wait, damn, that was Keanu Reeves. Always getting us mixed up.
You must have terrible esteem issues.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:
Torvaun wrote:I shot the hostage in the leg. Wait, damn, that was Keanu Reeves. Always getting us mixed up.
You must have terrible esteem issues.

You have no idea.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

I give blood as often as I can.
I can't think of any time I've done anything else that could be remotely classed as saving someone's life, though.
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Crosby

Postby Crosby » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

It is a pretty incredible feeling. IMHO, one of the most remarkable things about "heroic acts" is that quite often, the hero doesn't even think about it. It's just POOF, and so there I am holding onto this guys hand, and like...

For me at least, I've pulled both my brother and my cousin out of water. My brother was about to be squished by a boat in the process of docking, and my cousin, well, I pulled him out blue and gagging, so that's pretty close. I've also pulled my brother (same one, actually), back from a cross walk moments before a speeding bus ran a light, almost clinching the Frogger DickHead award.

None of these are particularly "heroic," but, from what I've heard, even in more gnarly situations, the "hero" often experiences a kind of "i knew what I had to do, and I did it" kind of a state.

FWIW, this same thing sort of protects you from when they don't make it. I've been around a couple of those too, one just a few weeks back as a matter of fact. I did what I had to do, and so did the emergency responders, and the guy didn't make it.

Anyways, I'm gonna go refresh my CPR and possibly my emergency first responder and PADI Rescue Diver certs. Please do what you can for training, you'll be happier with yourself if one of these situations ever comes your way.

arcticfox.sq

Postby arcticfox.sq » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:31 am UTC

:? When I read the thread title I thought this was about the song. I like that song. :?

I don't think I've every saved a life... I saved kittens once? They would've starved along with the mommy if I hadn't taken them in (my neighborhood then was not friendly to stray cats). Not that the mommy starved either...

Thus far, I've been too light to donate blood, they had a 110 pound min. line. I just passed the mark this year and I'll be in line when they come by my university. We get cookies! Yay!

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

I've managed to restore someone's faith in life and humanity. does that count?
It rains on the enemy too!

yazdi

Postby yazdi » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

Not directly.

There have been quite a few that I've stabilized until we reached someone with better equiment and education (i.e. a doctor) , but even those have been team efforts. (I'm an EMT)

tiny

Postby tiny » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

pkuky wrote:I've managed to restore someone's faith in life and humanity.
How???

I donated plasma some years ago until I got too light. Doesn't count, I guess? But I'm an organ donor, so I'll save at least one life should I die in an accident.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

well,
tiny wrote:
pkuky wrote:I've managed to restore someone's faith in life and humanity.
How???

um..I talked to them, understood their troubles, and so forth. I'm quite good at empathy.
It rains on the enemy too!

Return to “General”