Spots, Zits and Pimples R Us!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Spots, Zits and Pimples R Us!

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

(I searched the fora, and couldn't find anything, so please don't kill me mods...)

Hey, you!

Yes, YOU!

Do you have problems with spots? Got any stories to tell? Homemade cures? Come and tell!

I decided to make this thread because spots are the bane of my life. I get allergic reactions to most spot creams, so my only option is to try and keep my face as clean as possible. (I wash my face every morning and night, shower daily, and normally wash after particularly greasy meals.)

So, does anyone wanna start the ball rolling?
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Re: Spots, Zits and Pimples R Us!

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

I never had spots or pimples except very rarely all through my teenaged years, which was very lucky. Then, when I was 20, after I stopped hormonal birth control, my skin went berzerk. And it didn't clear up after a month or two. It stayed tempermental until very recently (I'm now approaching 22). I got a prescription for ClindaGel (clindamycin phosphate gel), and it's really done wonders. My skin is pretty clear and nice again. The doctor also told me that most of the over-the-counter remedies are fairly useless if they're the kind with salicylic acid, which just dries out your skin, which your skin attempts to compensate for by producing more oil. He said to instead buy the products that include benzoyl peroxide.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:. I get allergic reactions to most spot creams, so my only option is to try and keep my face as clean as possible.

Actually your only option is Roaccutane (Isotretinion). That's the acme of acne.

Seriously though, go to a dermatology consultant, and a good one will just get you a prescription for a load of them. Younger ones will make sure you've tried things like Zinerit or Oxytetracyclin (can't remember their real names. Although oxytetracyclin might actually be the name), but the older experienced ones will go straight for the Roaccuatane.

Although that's for actual problematic acne, if yours is just a few spots, stop whining. :)
Last edited by bigglesworth on Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Although that's for actual problematic acne, if yours is just a few spots, stop whining.

But... but.. they is hurtings my confidences!

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

In that case, this thread is useless without pictures. :)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

wst

Postby wst » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

For the sake of humanity, spoilers. If they're as bad as you feel they are, well, I don't wanna see without warning *gets welders goggles*

My skin is fucking dry each morning, so I just make sure it's moistened with mah wash. Apart from that, I have a recurring blackhead at the side of my nose. Really annoying SOB, that is.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

wst wrote:I have a recurring blackhead at the side of my nose. Really annoying SOB, that is.

I have one too. Annoying fuckers.

RE: Pictures.

To be honest, they aren't that bad. I just have really bad skin for this sort of thing, so I end up with kinda smallish red spots... here... there... pretty much everywhere.

I sometimes get a bad one in between my eyebrows, and on my chin too.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

My skin is usually extremely clear, so I get really annoyed when it isn't. I use a really good salt scrub from Lush regularly (it took rather a lot of experimenting to figure out how often was best, but I'm averaging once a week now), and once in a while splurge on a nice face mask, again from Lush, which does wonders for my skin. (And makes my face smell of chocolate!)

I'm pretty spoiled as far as skin goes, though. Most of the spots I do get aren't actually noticeable. I've learned to stop whining, because my friends will hit me. :P
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

I'm on Shark Week right now, and it's not fun :(
My nose is covered in zits, and I have some on my forehead too.
I've heard that spit works, but I haven't confirmed it yet

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

Freckles can do wonders to hide skin that really isn't so clear. My chin is the major culprit of acne, but occasionally I get those on my forehead that make me cringe.

The best thing I have found for controlling my acne is simply changing my pillowcases every two days. I really feel like that is the best thing I can do for my skin. I also use a Clean and Clear scrub in the shower (Gentle cleanser or something?) and that's pretty successful. I can't really control my hormones, but as long as my pillow cases are fresh, things seem to work in my favor.

Julie

Postby Julie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

Mine is very clear right now, but only because I go to the dermatologist. If you're having problems, I highly suggest this. I look pretty gross without my prescriptions.

Some tips I've been told by my derma...
-MOISTURIZE. Even if you're greasy, moisturizing is the best way to do things. It makes your skin healthier, and healthy skin has an easier time fighting acne. Preferably one that's not oily, is made specifically for faces, and has sunblock in it (even if you don't go outside that day, sunblock is a great idea). Best advice I've ever been given. Blemishes are less frequent now, and heal a LOT faster (sometimes within the same day... as opposed to often lasting a week or more before I started this).
-Change bedsheets frequently
-If you're female and use makeup, make sure that the brand is non-clogging, doesn't cause allergies (even if you don't have allergies), and is lightweight. Also, buy disposable pads to put it on with, or use cottonballs. After reusing the same thing over and over again to put it on, it eventually gets oil and grease caked into it, so when you put on your makeup you're putting on that old grease too. Wash your face before putting it on, and make sure that you take it off as soon as you can. Dermatologist confirmed, makeup isn't the problem, the above mentioned things are problems though. Try switching brands occasionally and see if it has any effect.
-Common sense, but don't pick at it.
-If you use a moisturizing shampoo, stop. Also, when you wash in the shower, do shampoo/conditioner first, then wash your face.

I also use some prescriptions...
Spoiler:
Topical medications: Duac (antibiotic), tazorac (unclogging agent)
Wash: 10% glycic acid, 2% salicylic acid
Pill: minocycline (antibiotic)

Also, I prefer the term "blemish" for discussing them... no idea why. :p
Last edited by Julie on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

For me the word blemish always brings to mind port wine stains and the like, for some reason.

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

Benzoyl peroxide works wonders. I only have to give a warning that it bleaches green pillowcases, so don't put it on your face and then directly go to sleep.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

Ughhh. I've had pretty bad spots for nearly a decade. Haven't found a decent way to deal with them yet; I gave up trying a long time ago. They're not as bad as they once were, but i'm still ever aware of their existence.

AlwaysRelated

Postby AlwaysRelated » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:05 am UTC

Looking back over old pictures (4-5 years ago) is frightening. I'm covered in acne. It's not super bad on my face. I have a couple, but I don't bother with them. Tip: Don't ever pick them it doesn't work, just leave them alone! I have most of my pimples on my chest, back, and legs. It's because I sweat a ton. I don't have them on my legs below the short line though.

Julie

Postby Julie » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:41 am UTC

SomeoneElse wrote:Ughhh. I've had pretty bad spots for nearly a decade. Haven't found a decent way to deal with them yet; I gave up trying a long time ago. They're not as bad as they once were, but i'm still ever aware of their existence.

Have you spoken to a dermatologist yet?

Also, for those of you who "outgrew" them, when did that happen? I'm not sure if I've outgrown them (in which case I should stop using the special face washes) or the face washes are working. The only way to tell is to stop using them, but I really don't feel like breaking out again.

Lately, the only ones I've gotten are the "lurkers". Those super annoying ones that hide under your skin and really aren't visible, but hurt like nobody's business, and also seem to take forever (~3 days) to heal and don't seem to respond to any treatment. Ahg!

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:01 am UTC

Julie wrote:
SomeoneElse wrote:Ughhh. I've had pretty bad spots for nearly a decade. Haven't found a decent way to deal with them yet; I gave up trying a long time ago. They're not as bad as they once were, but i'm still ever aware of their existence.

Have you spoken to a dermatologist yet?

Nope. The last time I went to the GP a few years ago, they gave me some sorta tablets that did fuck all. Haven't been arsed since. Meh, maybe I should at some point...

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:03 am UTC

I don't really have a pimple problem. I occasionally get a whole mess of tiny ones on my nose and very very occasionally I get a huge one next to my nose. This has happened about twice.

I consider myself lucky :)
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:06 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:I don't really have a pimple problem. I occasionally get a whole mess of tiny ones on my nose and very very occasionally I get a huge one next to my nose. This has happened about twice.

I consider myself lucky :)

I got the lack of pimple genes from my mom, but they come out for a sneak attack when I'm low on estrogen. >:(

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:13 am UTC

Haha.

"Sarge, I've measured the atmosphere outside. There's little to no oestrogen out there. It seems quiet. Almost too quiet."
"I don't like it, Corporal. Recheck your data"
"I have, twice. But a whole platoon went down last time this happened. Recommend extreme caution."
"OK, pimples, move out. We may need aerial assistance"
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:22 am UTC

Cure: Not caring, seriously.

On chicks sometimes it's even hot if it's only a small amount of blemishing (and they don't have those huge greeny/yellow/whity heads).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:29 am UTC

Semi-related, I tend to get nasty spots after shaving, but not every time. Also, I usually don't end up cutting myself at all, but sometimes I come out looking like I lost a fight with a lawnmower. What's up with that?
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:58 am UTC

Up until this year, I'd had perhaps 2 spots. Ever.

I think I made the mistake of being a little smug about. Now I'm lucky if I have less than 2 on any given day. The unwashed dreads probably don't help with this.

On what would help: keep your hair the fuck away from your face, drink a lot of water, make sure you wash twice a day - but don't overdo it, that can have an undesired effect - and make sure you moisturise after washing.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Djabanete

Postby Djabanete » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:21 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Semi-related, I tend to get nasty spots after shaving, but not every time. Also, I usually don't end up cutting myself at all, but sometimes I come out looking like I lost a fight with a lawnmower. What's up with that?

I get this problem a lot also. For me it's been helpful to (A) shave more slowly and carefully, (B) make sure to use a sharp razor, and (C) rinse my face and apply a moisturizer/cleanser after shaving.

I have no idea how any of this works but it seems to make a difference for me.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:17 am UTC

I had pretty bad spots from the age of 10 to around the age of 15 [yay for early onset puberty]; I tried a whole tonne of things and they didn't really work - clearasil especially didn't work, and on the whole left you looking a lot worse afterwards. Tea-tree oil was about the most reliable fix I found.

These days, what Cassi said. I tend to hover between the Sea Salt scrub [which is a great wake-up], the Mask of Magnaminty [which also unblocks your sinuses], and at the moment I've been using Sweet Japanese Girl. They're all great, and I wish I'd known about them back when I needed them! I never really got the hang of using their fresh masks, though, shamefully.

Varg Vikernes

Postby Varg Vikernes » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:17 am UTC

i get bacne (that is acne on your back :] ) pretty often, and the Beth way to deal with it, i found, is some head and shoulders dandruff shampoo. rub it right onto the trouble spots and poof that acne is right gone.

pretty clear skinned everywhere else but that bacne really stays there >:]

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:33 am UTC

I have problems with mah face, but none of that bright red shit, so it's fairly unnoticeable unless you're up close.

However, I got the bacne, which is more troublesome. I can manage it, but it just won't go away for good.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:35 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Semi-related, I tend to get nasty spots after shaving, but not every time. Also, I usually don't end up cutting myself at all, but sometimes I come out looking like I lost a fight with a lawnmower. What's up with that?

It's probably ingrown hair. You can try shaving with the grain, but you won't get as clean a shave.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:20 am UTC

I have one word to everyone who still has acne: isotretonin. Seriously.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:35 am UTC

Freakish wrote:

It's probably ingrown hair. You can try shaving with the grain, but you won't get as clean a shave.

Also: exfoliation helps. A pumice stone could potentially be your friend.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:39 am UTC

Pumice? On the face? Surely something gentler, say a scrub, would be preferable? Or even one of those soft wash-cloth things.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:49 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:Pumice? On the face? Surely something gentler, say a scrub, would be preferable? Or even one of those soft wash-cloth things.

Pumice would be a lot faster, and potentially less irritating pre- or post- face shave, since there wouldn't be any perfumes involved. Also, cheaper. There are probably better alternatives, though. It depends entirely in what kind of time / investment you might want to put in.

Shpadoinkle

Postby Shpadoinkle » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:35 am UTC

The best remedy I've found ir rubbing alchohol. Really. I just dab a bit on the blemishes a couple times a day with a cotton ball or Q-tip, or even my fingertip, and they disappear after a few days at most. Your milage may vary, of course.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

Burn them off!

Though in seriousness, the alcohol hand wash they use in hospitals is pretty good, probably not good for you, but as long as you don't get it in your eyes or mouth you should be okay, gets rid of them strait away, and they don't come back. Probably because you've just burnt them off.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Julie

Postby Julie » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I have one word to everyone who still has acne: isotretonin. Seriously.

Meh, it's a little strong for 99% of the population. Also, it causes birth defects in almost every case. Even if you stop taking it and get pregnant 6 months later, your baby will still be deformed- and those babies are horribly deformed. They have cone heads and severe mental retardation. It can give you cataracts. You can't wear contact lenses while taking it. It's caused depression so severe that the people committed suicide. It can make you go bald. It has given people erectile disfunction. It might give you inflammatory bowel disease. There are more side effects than this, too.

Your acne'll be gone... but with all of those side effects (some of which you are guaranteed to get) is it really worth it?

I only recommend this if you're a male whose entire face is just one great big giant zit with eyes, or you enjoy inflammatory bowel disease.

Note: I have never taken isotretinorin... but would you?

Isotretinorin is the absolute LAST resort. For skin problems unresponsive to literally every other treatment.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:00 pm UTC

Well, those "unresponsive to every treatment" skin problems seemed to be a significant fraction of my (male) friends.

And those side effects are very rare (not the birth defects one, I agree. Don't get pregnant for a few years after, should be fine).

The depression thing is pretty unproven, and i'm thinking that the percentage of people committing suicide is very close to the value for the same age/gender people with acne not on the drug.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

As far as acne goes, I was...quite unlucky. From the time I was about 16, I had huge blemishes over my upper back, neck, and shoulders. No topical treatment did anything for me, and I was a compulsive scratcher; I've come away with several long-lasting scars on my shoulders. Accutain finally cleared up most of my problems, but I still have occasional breakouts. Not fun, not fun at all.

steelmole

Postby steelmole » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

I started getting spots when I was pretty young, around 10 or 11. They've stuck with me till now (I'm 18) and sadly, most of the damage is done. I've picked at them a lot and there's some pretty serious scarring. I get a cream with benzoyl peroxide which keeps them at bay, but the purple blotches need to fade more to really get anything that looks like good skin. I tried moisturising before, I'm not entirely sure if I used the incorrect variety, but it stings like nothing else, so that's down the drain. The bacne can be a little bit painful at times, but it really doesn't bother me a whole lot.

Julie

Postby Julie » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Well, those "unresponsive to every treatment" skin problems seemed to be a significant fraction of my (male) friends.

And those side effects are very rare (not the birth defects one, I agree. Don't get pregnant for a few years after, should be fine).

The depression thing is pretty unproven, and i'm thinking that the percentage of people committing suicide is very close to the value for the same age/gender people with acne not on the drug.

Not necessarily...

wikipedia wrote: * Common: Mild acne flare, dryness of skin, lips and mucous membranes, infection of the cuticles, cheilitis, itch, skin fragility, skin peeling, rash, flushing, photosensitivity, nose bleeds, dry eyes, eye irritation, conjunctivitis, reduced tolerance to contact lenses, hyperlipidaemia, raised liver enzymes, headaches, hair thinning, myalgia and/or arthralgia.
* Infrequent: severe acne flare, raised blood glucose level, increased erythrocyte sedimentation rate, fatigue.
* Rare: impaired night vision, cataracts, optic neuritis, menstrual disturbances, inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis, hepatitis, corneal opacities, papilloedema, idiopathic intracranial hypertension, skeletal hyperostosis, extraosseous calcification, psychosis, and it is believed that severe depression can occur, although there is no conclusive evidence for this.

The ones listed under "common" are ones that you're basically guaranteed to get at least a few of, statistically speaking. I don't think females should ever take this drug; it hangs around in your bloodstream, even if you get pregnant some time later there's still the possibility of a mentally challenged baby with a cone head. By law, you MUST take a pregnancy test monthly while you're on that drug, and you are supposed to abort the baby if you somehow do get pregnant. You also must use at least 2 forms of birth control (abstinence=not a method) and they check your blood to make sure you're using your pills... in the US, at least.

Scowdich, accutane is the market name for isotretinoin. Glad it worked for you! Did you get any side effects, though?

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:54 pm UTC

On my list of side effects, some of those on the "common" list are down as "you'll probably get it"; namely the dry skin/ membranes and dry eyes.

Some of the others are at up to 1 in 100 and some, like photosensitivity, are at 1 in 10 000. So don't believe everything wikipedia tells you.

Return to “General”