St Valentine's day!(or, I am lonely and will be totally 3m0)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

zvezdogled

Postby zvezdogled » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:34 pm UTC

my valentines day started on an astronomical observatory with six guys eating pizza and taking pretty pictures of nebular places. Then i went home early so that i could have a four hour sleep before my classes start. I woke up 9 hours later missing all the lectures for the day. (my sister and mother forgot to take me with them when they went to school and work in the morning).

Now i will be spending a whole day at home (alone) with my computer, feeling bed for missing lectures :cry:.

But all is not lost, because the weather forecast says it will be a beautiful night and that means i will go and spent a few hours under strry sky with a few friends teaching around 30 children about astronomy :D
"On 11 November 1997, Veronika decided that the moment to kill herself had – at last! - arrived."
- Paulo Coelho

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:16 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:aldimond, I love that you found panties in your washing. I hope ladies in your building saw and thought you a virile and sexy young man.

As opposed to a profoundly creepy one.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:31 pm UTC

Aldimond and VSM...you guys get special valentine's kudos from me for making me giggle and feel very happy.

Aldimond for the panties (were they nice panties??) You know you could have used it as an excuse to talk to a pretty girl in your building. Knock on her door and say, "excuse me, I've got my hand in your panties" it'd be a really romantic, just imagine telling it to your grandkids!

VSM your happiness has made me happy...Happy Takeovine Day!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

thedesk
Mathemagician

Postby thedesk » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:52 pm UTC

I just woke up so it's officially the 14th for me. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

<3
Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back.
-Piet Hein

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

Oh, it's valentines day?
Well, I guess that's nice
A cool idea would be to write a really long intricate, but general letter, and then make two hundred copies and put it in random peoples letter boxes all across town.
But I can't really be bothered, and I am sure it ahs already been done :P
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

thedesk
Mathemagician

Postby thedesk » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

A cool idea would be to write a really long intricate, but general letter, and then make two hundred copies and put it in random peoples letter boxes all across town.

Think of how many people would have a better day. You should do it, fjafjan.

-Piet Hein

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

I like how the desk assumes it would be a nice letter.

I would write a really long and intricate "It's just not working out, it would be best if you never called me again, goodbye" letter.

I sometimes think I may be a horrible human being.

They/them

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:08 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I like how the desk assumes it would be a nice letter.

I would write a really long and intricate "It's just not working out, it would be best if you never called me again, goodbye" letter.

I sometimes think I may be a horrible human being.

But that would not be "cool", that would be funny :D
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

thedesk
Mathemagician

Postby thedesk » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:11 pm UTC

In that case, think of how many people's days you would make more miserable. I guess in a way that's what Valentine's Day is all about anyway!

-Piet Hein

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

thedesk wrote:In that case, think of how many people's days you would make more miserable. I guess in a way that's what Valentine's Day is all about anyway!

Yeah, it's all in dah balance lol!

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

Hmm, it's a snow day today, so no valentines for Narsil. My valentine today is a sexy little lady named Warcraft III. Oh, wait, my mom gave me a valentine card and some candy.
Aww, thanks mom.

This is the saddest day of the year.
[/sad]
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:18 pm UTC

Now that my entire world has been shut down by snow (we're supposed to get thunder snow this afternoon. thunder snow.) I'm freed from having to read some dozens of pages of irritatingly dense information theory papers and instead get to apply for internships and learn about POSIX threads! It's like a present from the sky to me (and everyone else within a few states).
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:48 pm UTC

Happy vday everybody. Wouldn't it be weird if there was a vd-day? When everyone celebrated their venerial disease?

Man, I can't wait for *the future* and all of the zany holidays to be had. Those are will have been good times.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

AntiScurvyLg

Postby AntiScurvyLg » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:15 pm UTC

For all of you who are bitter about being single on valentine's day:

Believe me, it sucks more to be taken on Valentine's day. This is the first time in 7 years I'm going to get by without buying someone something, or going out of my way to make someone feel more special than I normally would.

Its going to be a relaxing day. My guy buddies and I will be having a poker tournament at my house, and then later I plan on heading down to the bars for some easy action. It will be a relaxing day for once.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:48 pm UTC

I don't know about that. We used to celebrate Valentines in school, and when you were single and not one of the "popular" girls (i.e., myself) Valentines was the longest day in the world. Seeing everyone getting things like cards and roses, and not having anything to show for yourself kind of ostracises the people that are single, and speaking from experience, makes them feel pretty crap. I didn't go out anywhere this year so I didn't experience all the love not directed at me, but on Friday I will be hearing almost every one of my friends tell me how great their Valentines was.

So what if you have to go out of your way to make someone happy? At least you have someone to make happy, and that should make you happy, doing something for them, it should not be a chore!

[/passionate vday rant]

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:51 pm UTC

I still maintain that Lupercalia was better than Valentine's Day. In Lupercalia every guy got a free shot on whatever woman he wanted :P
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

I just spent seven and a half hours at work, the first part dressed as the 'Love Doctor' in which I dispensed useless advice as people entered the store and tried to make them buy cheap wine and roses.

Then I moved behind the kiosk where I wore a badge advertising myself as a suitable toy boy for any available ladies and occasionally gave stuff away free to ladies who said they hadn't gotten any Valentine's Day gifts.

Oh, and to kids I gave away free packs of Love Hearts, which are an awesome candy.

All in all, I loved today.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:08 pm UTC

AntiScurvyLg wrote:Its going to be a relaxing day. My guy buddies and I will be having a poker tournament at my house

Damn... That would've been a good idea, having a poker tournament.

hermaj wrote:I don't know about that. We used to celebrate Valentines in school, and when you were single and not one of the "popular" girls (i.e., myself) Valentines was the longest day in the world. Seeing everyone getting things like cards and roses, and not having anything to show for yourself kind of ostracises the people that are single, and speaking from experience, makes them feel pretty crap. I didn't go out anywhere this year so I didn't experience all the love not directed at me, but on Friday I will be hearing almost every one of my friends tell me how great their Valentines was.

So what if you have to go out of your way to make someone happy? At least you have someone to make happy, and that should make you happy, doing something for them, it should not be a chore!

[/passionate vday rant]

We never had anything like that at my school... i didnt think places in australia did at all >.>
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:46 pm UTC

I got the guy I like as my number 1 match on my list of people at my school :) I'm pleased. I didn't get the other guy I like, though. Which sucked. But makes sense because one of them is a nerd and one of them is a crazy pothead with snakebites. I got the nerdy one on my list. Yeah. Go Valentine's day :)

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:49 pm UTC

aisling wrote:I got the guy I like as my number 1 match on my list of people at my school :) I'm pleased. I didn't get the other guy I like, though. Which sucked. But makes sense because one of them is a nerd and one of them is a crazy pothead with snakebites. I got the nerdy one on my list. Yeah. Go Valentine's day :)

List? I've never even heard of these list things.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

paige42

Postby paige42 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:08 am UTC

OmenPigeon wrote:Now that my entire world has been shut down by snow

It's like a present from the sky to me (and everyone else within a few states).

Everyone except the people at my school, that is. We never have snow days. I got up and went to class this morning, same as always. There just happened to be a ton of new snow on the sidewalks.

I could've used a snow day, too. :?
Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars — mere globs of gas atoms. Nothing is 'mere'. I too can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more?
- Richard Feynman

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:41 am UTC

*sigh* Well, today at school sucked.

Our school really likes to make people feel like crap, so the week before Valentine's Day, you can purchase notes and candy to have sent to people during class, so they receive it in front of all their friends. Uh huh. Only the really special people ever get them, though ('cause who really has money to spend on such items?)...

And of course, the girls that do rub it in everybody else's faces.

One girl was cruel enough to tell another nice, pretty girl that she didn't get any because she wasn't pretty enough.

Yes, and my school propagates this type of behavior. Go figure.

So, then I drop my friend off at her house and I get a call from my mum telling me to meet her at the mall, 'cause she needs my help to pick out something for my father. I go and help her pick out a nice shirt and then she tells me to pick out something for myself. Yay, new jeans! (I've been needing some for a while.)

Then I went and picked up my nephew. My mum, father, nephew, brother (Jason) and I went to dinner and then my other brother (the father of my nephew) called and needed me to take him to pick up his car. So, I do and he bought me Starbucks and gave me gas money.

I have to say, this has been a nicer Valentine's Day than last year's (my car was hit at an intersection while I was in the turn lane not moving).

Now, I get to go do homework. Woo! :)

Also, we didn't get a snow day. :( It didn't even snow! But we do have piles of it EVERYWHERE. Seriously, there is a layer of around 2 or so feet in my backyard. :D

Maybe this weekend I will regress completely and make snow angels and snowmen. Hehe.

EDIT: Also, 'cause I'm a jerk I told everybody "Happy Thanksgiving!" all day and not one single person noticed. A few even said it right back. Buahahaha. :D

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:22 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:*sigh* Well, today at school sucked.

Our school really likes to make people feel like crap, so the week before Valentine's Day, you can purchase notes and candy to have sent to people during class, so they receive it in front of all their friends. Uh huh. Only the really special people ever get them, though ('cause who really has money to spend on such items?)...

And of course, the girls that do rub it in everybody else's faces.

One girl was cruel enough to tell another nice, pretty girl that she didn't get any because she wasn't pretty enough.

Yes, and my school propagates this type of behavior. Go figure.

Just want to quote this for truth. That's exactly what I was talking about in my post earlier - my school did exactly the same thing. Felt like hell when all your friends got something and you didn't.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:26 am UTC

And once again I am glad both my schools both basically completely ignored it :D

Although, if my school had it, if me or any of my friends got anything, they would be the one getting made fun of. I have a funny group of friends, who seem to fit into the nerd area an no-where else. I also have a less nerdy group of friends... but yeah. :P
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:38 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Just want to quote this for truth. That's exactly what I was talking about in my post earlier - my school did exactly the same thing. Felt like hell when all your friends got something and you didn't.

Yeah, it does. 'Cause then you're like "OK... well, um... this is awkward..."

And then all the so-called popular kids (not us nerdy folk) make sure everybody knows exactly who got them and from whom (and, of course, who didn't get any).

I've got a lovely school, eh?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:28 am UTC

American Valentines Day seems to be quite different to New Zealand Valentines Day.

... Shame!

Detritus

Postby Detritus » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:48 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:And then all the so-called popular kids (not us nerdy folk) make sure everybody knows exactly who got them and from whom (and, of course, who didn't get any).

Wait, that's something that's still happening at your school? A high school?

Wow.
Then I thought, "Man, I should have just said 'yeah.' "

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:51 am UTC

Detritus wrote:
thefiddler wrote:And then all the so-called popular kids (not us nerdy folk) make sure everybody knows exactly who got them and from whom (and, of course, who didn't get any).

Wait, that's something that's still happening at your school? A high school?

Wow.

Yes. They're quite juvenile. :(

I am ashamed to admit that they happen to be the same age as me. It is misfortune, on my part. (You have no idea how catty they can be. Ugh.)

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:11 am UTC

thefiddler wrote: (You have no idea how catty they can be. Ugh.)

Those bitches, so catty and always talking about people behind their backs. You shoud see them, all insulting and stupid.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:09 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:I am ashamed to admit that they happen to be the same age as me. It is misfortune, on my part.

Don't worry; in a few years you'll be much older than all of them... were...

(also, props on the Thanksgiving thing.)
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

StuMo

Postby StuMo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:53 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Hint: Desperation is a total girl-repellant.

I'm well aware of that. At the same time, however, I'm not sure if it's possible to ask "Why don't you like me?" without appearing desperate. But I have to ask that question anyway, I mean if someone doesn't like me, I'm going to want to know why.
Richard Feynman was a genius, but then they do say that there's a very fine line between genius and madness. Ah, so that explains Feynman Diagrams then.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:14 pm UTC

well, i had a great valentines day.
some of my friends came over, i got a whole lot of computer games that a friend had finished, so for the next few weeks ill be slogging through oblivion, call of duty and fear expansion. then some other friends who were in the area dropped around, and we all sat in my garden and talked for about an hour.

re the people being bitches about valentines day, i have a theory that its almost exclusively a private school thing (correct me if im wrong, tegan and caitlin), but all the people i used to see on the train with a long stemmed rose/whatever had blazers and stuff. =private school in my mind. i love the fact that i never went to a school with a uniform 8)
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

hmmm. I wore a blazer at shool.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:19 pm UTC

was it fun/hows that working out for you/congratulations?/goodnight
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:24 pm UTC

It was fun, because it made me feel more like James Bond/it's working out well...?/th...thankyou/night night :P

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

No, Hugh. It's a public school. Just a kind of affluent area. :(

@Aldimond - Haha, thanks. I'm just surprised nobody noticed. "Valentine's Day" and "Thanksgiving" sound nothing alike. I guess people only hear what they want to?

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:13 pm UTC

I never got to call the cute girl. I di meet her when ym class had to spend the entire dya preparing for our end of school party, and told her happy Valentine's day. Then we sepnt 3 hours shredding paper. Really romantic way to spend Valentine's day.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:24 pm UTC

Now that it's not Valentine's Day anymore (by several hours, even) I can officially state that for the entire day the only reference I heard or saw to it was on Internet. Nobody even wore a pink shirt to work (and my work environment is definitely casual enough to accommodate that).
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

I got wished a happy V-day by the waitress at lunch. Aside from that, the Girl-creature mentioned it in passing before we shrugged in unison and went back to what we were doing. That was about the extent of things.

What? I defended it, so now I have to care about it?

They/them

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

My boy was sleep deprived from workhell, so we had dinner, watched an episode or two of the Daily Show, and then I left.

One of my callers at work wished me a hapy valentine's day though. That was kind of neat.

Return to “General”