Desert Island-What to bring?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

asad137

Re: Desert Island-What to bring?

Postby asad137 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:I think staying alive comes before entertainment. I'd go with a high quality knife, to better kill and gut small mammels before eating them.

Stayin' Alive is entertainment!

I'd also go with a knife, or some sort of multi-tool. Never know when you'll need that phillips head screwdriver...

I was actually going to say "never know when you'll need that fish scaler", but then I thought...you actually might. I'm sitting here looking at my Swiss Army knife and thinking that a lot of these things would actually be extremely useful if stranded.

Asad
Last edited by asad137 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

asad137 wrote:I was actually going to say "never know when you'll need that fish scaler", but then I thought...you actually might.

I, for one, prefer fish vectors.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

asad137

Postby asad137 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:Besides the fact that fish tensors are clearly superior to fish vectors.

I suppose I could have said "never know when you'll need a fish tensor of rank zero", but that would have been a bit wordy.

Asad
P.S. well-played, Philwelch.

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

Twenty pound limit? Largest container that can be made(without surpassing the weight limit), filled with with LSD. If I'm going to be stranded alone with no chance of rescue, i'm going to want to be insane.

If LSD isn't aloud, a decent sword/knife with a whetstone(tied to it, of course making one item). I'd end up creating my own fighting style.
don't plow that beautiful field!

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

I would bring the internet. All of it.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

choginga

Postby choginga » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:11 am UTC

Would my backpack and the 20 pounds of contents count as one item? That would be the most logical thing to have with you when you are on a glider heading into a possible survival situation.

In the backpack I would have a first aid kit, thread, needles, a good blade, sharpening stone, a cooking tin, hammer and nails, reef shoes, a spear gun, a small crank powered dynamo and my nintendo DS.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:03 am UTC

I would bring a sailboat.

Failing that, I would bring an air force field survival kit.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:If you drink very very little of it and mostly get your water from eating fish - blood, eyegunk and such.. then you can possibly get by.

Apparently you can drink solely saltwater for about 7 days without doing damage to your kidneys if you start well hydrated, and can do it pretty much indefinitely if you use the above method of getting extra freshwater from fish.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

orisit7

Postby orisit7 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

Am I the only one who thinks bring their girlfriend/boyfriend would be a mean thing? >.>; I mean, it would suck to subject them to the harsh realities of survival. Where they could potentially die. If I were to die I'd want my girlfriend to live.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

orisit7 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks bring their girlfriend/boyfriend would be a mean thing? >.>; I mean, it would suck to subject them to the harsh realities of survival. Where they could potentially die. If I were to die I'd want my girlfriend to live.

It's really not a matter of mean. It's a matter of "hypothetical situation where I'll be bored for the rest of my life except for this one diversion... sex probably won't get old. At least not right away."
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:08 am UTC

But the lack of reliable birth control sure will.

Hence, only bring your significant other if you're incapable of procreating, either because one or both of you are sterile or you're both the same gender.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:52 am UTC

Wincest in 18 years? o.O;;

You could corner game maminals easier with more than 1 person, I suppose. One factor you have to look at is how much whining and doing nothing you'd be doing before you realize you're screwed and are going to have to find a way to survive. It may be a few days before you realize this, and have already wasted too much energy sniviling to chase down animals, like humans used to.

Ooh and if you're out of shape, lifes gonna get real hard real fast. :\ Hmm.

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:17 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:If you drink very very little of it and mostly get your water from eating fish - blood, eyegunk and such.. then you can possibly get by.

Apparently you can drink solely saltwater for about 7 days without doing damage to your kidneys if you start well hydrated, and can do it pretty much indefinitely if you use the above method of getting extra freshwater from fish.

But doesn't salt water pretty much dehydrate you? I think my biology teacher said the body uses more water to get rid of the salt than the water gained, so you end up with a net loss of water.
(Edit: oh, that's been mentioned)

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:56 am UTC

Thread Title wrote:Desert Island-What to bring?

14 year old brooke shields.

/masturbates to The Blue Lagoon

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:40 am UTC

Rat wrote:14 year old brooke shields.

Not if I get to her first.

SecondTalon wrote:But the lack of reliable birth control sure will.

Hence, only bring your significant other if you're incapable of procreating, either because one or both of you are sterile or you're both the same gender.

I disagree. Living only to survive is not living at all. Living to further the human race, for a purpose, for the hope that one day one of your descendants will be able to get off the island, that will give you the drive to succeed. And babies are pretty cool.
choginga wrote:Would my backpack and the 20 pounds of contents count as one item? That would be the most logical thing to have with you when you are on a glider heading into a possible survival situation.

In the backpack I would have a first aid kit, thread, needles, a good blade, sharpening stone, a cooking tin, hammer and nails, reef shoes, a spear gun, a small crank powered dynamo and my nintendo DS.

But chog...you failed to mention a critical and serious part of your backpack.

What Nintendo DS game(s)?

If only they made Oblivion for the DS...
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:02 am UTC

Protip: Giving birth to and supporting a newborn baby on a deserted island without any medical care is very likely to cause the death of the baby, the mother, or both. The only reason it worked for our ancestors is because there were millions of them, not just two.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

timt

Postby timt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:07 am UTC

Survival knowledge.

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:36 am UTC

Is it just me or is there a severe lack of fresh water on this island? There's no natural source and it only rains once a week.

That said, I want something to catch and store said rainwater.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

TizzyFoe

Postby TizzyFoe » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:01 pm UTC

Does the glider crash would us? It would be full of very valuable tools.
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:24 am UTC

amigo25zmy wrote:You fall out of a glider (glider gets carried away) ...
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:41 am UTC

A nice big hunk of sharpened steel, or failing that, a container that could be heated/reheated indefinitely.

I'll assume your reef is something nice and big, at least some 20-30 yards thick around the island to make it nearly impossible to break through with one person, which should give us plenty of space for spear fishing without depleting the reefs. A nice hunk of steel would allow me to carve out some bowls, or cut down a few trees to use for fires, construction material. Knowing that there's plants growing on the island tells me that there's some kind of aquifer on the island, since the plants would need some source of water in order to survive. Assuming I had enough food and water in the short term to dig the distance down, as in a few weeks worth of supplies, you could set up your own brackish water spring which will keep you alive, although it won't taste good. With water, protein, dried seaweed/plants, shelter, and a stockpile of other supplies, you could start building a small canoe to go float around the island, and if you get really bored, carve a small channel in the reef in order to eventually escape. This all assumes that the trees are of a decent size that need a good supply of water, if they're desert plants or adapted in some other way to last on the island with low rainfall you'd most likely lose the aquifer, but could use the plants themselves as a source of water since they'd have natural filters to remove the salt from the salt water.

But what do islanders know? :)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:16 am UTC

I am assuming you mean some sort of pre-shaped hunk of steel that could be used as a blade, not just any old hunk of steel.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:36 am UTC

Yes, as many pre-shaped hunks of steel as possible with edges. 20 pounds of various sized blades should be enough to provide for all your needs, such as shaving!

SilentKiller

Postby SilentKiller » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

bring a knife whittle a long stick and make some rings of wood. whittle some bamboo or whatever it is to make string and use string to attach the rings to the stick get some more string and make a fishing rod. Once you've got fish and drink some of the blood and other fluids from it and eat it then make shelter by using string and lots of branches to make something for u to sleep in make sure you make a door (read hatchet by gary paulsen) and sleep and you should be able to survive before somebody notices that you're missing.
*They* say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it... and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

I would bring a laptop with gps and satellite internet and call for an airlift. :wink:
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:44 am UTC

Depends on what kinda rocks I could find. If I could find Flint, Chert, Obsidion, that kinda thing, I'd bring flintknapping tools. If not... donno.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

little birdie

Postby little birdie » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:30 am UTC

Satellite phone is a no-no, I suppose? In that case, I'd bring one of those 50-in-1 Swiss army knives. Who knows when I'll need a wire stripper or a bottle opener.

Terebrant

Postby Terebrant » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

I think Brian Cotterell and Johan Kamminga's book about the mechanics of preindustrial technology could be handy. But, as I need my meds, I would rather take a bottle of suicide cocktail than suffer withdrawal.

Return to “General”