Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
bridge
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:24 pm UTC
Location: Zurich < x < Rome

Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby bridge » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:17 am UTC

Image
(alternate link)
i'm speechless
Excuse my Super Mario accent

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:19 am UTC

In a century or so, creationists will be incredibly hilarious instead of incredibly depressing.

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby Hawknc » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:20 am UTC

Comic wrote:Source: Answers In Genesis

Ah. That rates about a negative ten on the Surprise-O-Meter.

User avatar
Sparv
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:55 pm UTC
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby Sparv » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:22 am UTC

Awesome graphics.
Shit happens

User avatar
Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon
Posts: 2300
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:30 pm UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby Meowgan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:23 am UTC

How bizarre. How utterly bizarre.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:27 am UTC

I can't help but literally LOL every time I read "more evolved". Seriously.

Do they not teach biology in America or something? I don't understand how so many people can be so utterly ignorant of what the theory of evolution is.

darren
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby darren » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:36 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:I can't help but literally LOL every time I read "more evolved". Seriously.

Do they not teach biology in America or something? I don't understand how so many people can be so utterly ignorant of what the theory of evolution is.


We do! But in the end, the only message most students take home is "so, like, we came from monkeys?"

edit:
You laugh you lose:
Spoiler:
Image
Last edited by darren on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Posts: 939
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:46 am UTC
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:39 am UTC

Well it goes to show you don't need an intelligent designer to create fundmentalist-comics.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:14 am UTC

I'm pretty sure that the Lemuria hypothesis explains the gaps in the fossil record of humans.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Lord Miscellaneous
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 pm UTC
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby Lord Miscellaneous » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:50 am UTC

It's sad that I can imagine someone seeing this and thinking "Oh! I'll sue/fire/etc my science teacher for their blatant racism!

User avatar
mstrzerg
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:49 pm UTC
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby mstrzerg » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:30 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:I can't help but literally LOL every time I read "more evolved". Seriously.

Do they not teach biology in America or something? I don't understand how so many people can be so utterly ignorant of what the theory of evolution is.


Oh I think the people that create something like this are fully aware of how evolution works. You'd have to be, to pick and choose your arguments like this. The whole racist bit at the beginning is crafted to portray a belief in evolution as evil, even if it is unintentionally so. While this comic is ridiculous tripe, these type of arguments exist on both sides and do nothing but polarize the debate.

User avatar
space_raptor
Posts: 1497
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:02 pm UTC
Location: Calgary
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby space_raptor » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

What is this, Harold and Kumar Escape From Jesus Camp?
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

User avatar
Kikral
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:42 pm UTC
Location: McKinney, Texas

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby Kikral » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:What is this, Harold and Kumar Escape From Jesus Camp?


Call me crazy, but I might pay to see that.
Content: Sadly enough this still appears to be the majority thought down in McKinney. I've had quite a few of my fellow students try and tell me that Darwin was a hack or that evolution doesn't work, without looking at the facts. It isn't necessarily that creationism is wrong (as in completely and utterly bad), it's just false. And I wish more people would see it for folly, rather than complete truth.
I am the man your gods will have nightmares about for the next 50 years.

User avatar
bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢
Posts: 3137
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby bbctol » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

They acknowledge the existence of Homo Erectus, and then call that "ordinary men"? I don't see too many of those walking around nowadays... I also love the old trick of writing a dialog solely for the purpose of strawmanning your opponent. Note how the "evolutionist" decides to name some famous hoaxes as well. Also, "look how beautiful these flowers are, surely that can't be chance"? Yeah, maybe it was, hmmm, centuries of humans breeding various types of flowers to be pretty.

...After visiting the Answers in Genesis children's section, I can now say that it is the most sickening place on the internet. Yes, that includes 4chan.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:In a century or so, creationists will be incredibly hilarious instead of incredibly depressing.


Isn't that quote from the 1750s?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Shakes
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:22 pm UTC
Location: Chicago

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby Shakes » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

mstrzerg wrote:
Jack Saladin wrote:I can't help but literally LOL every time I read "more evolved". Seriously.

Do they not teach biology in America or something? I don't understand how so many people can be so utterly ignorant of what the theory of evolution is.


Oh I think the people that create something like this are fully aware of how evolution works. You'd have to be, to pick and choose your arguments like this. The whole racist bit at the beginning is crafted to portray a belief in evolution as evil, even if it is unintentionally so. While this comic is ridiculous tripe, these type of arguments exist on both sides and do nothing but polarize the debate.


Um, if they were fully aware then they would get their facts straight... Just for starters, Neanderthals have not been clasified as regular humans. This just is not true. Scientist are still studying Neanderthals with hopes are sequencing their genome, as well as to find out if Homo Neanderthalensis interbred with Homo Sapiens. Scientists are still not completely sure what happened to the Neanderthals, and they still debate on how to calssify Neanderthal. So to say that they are the same as modern humans is simply false. This just has not ben proven yet. The fundamentalist who made this garbage needs to get their facts straight before they can have even a slightly competent argument. Saying something persuasively does not make it true. Show me some evidence. Seriously, what an ass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_neanderthalensis
Last edited by Shakes on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Psst.. you're wasting your fingers. Might I suggest a well timed Mom joke?

Homo Erectus? We damn near kill'em!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Shakes
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:22 pm UTC
Location: Chicago

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby Shakes » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Psst.. you're wasting your fingers. Might I suggest a well timed Mom joke?


I know... But some one is wrong on the internet! Arghh!

You know why god had to rest on the 7th day? Cause it took all week just to create your Mom!

User avatar
seladore
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:17 pm UTC
Location: Tumbolia

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby seladore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Anyone else just want to give up on the world and become a hermit?

I watched Ben Stein's "Expelled" today, and have never seen a more depressing film. The fact that there are people who reject reality in favour of some ignorance based, 17th century paradigm, and are

1)exceptionally well funded
2)intent on converting the world
3)very, very good at marketing and deceitful propaganda

just depressed me beyond words.

Even being part of the debate depresses me.

It's like trying to win a game of chess against someone that not only doesn't know the rules, but claims you don't know the rules either.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

Pfft. I know the rules. The horsies can trample over everything all at once, and I can move both at the same time. Neeiighhhh! I win because I knocked you two castles over!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Shakes
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:22 pm UTC
Location: Chicago

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby Shakes » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Pfft. I know the rules. The horsies can trample over everything all at once, and I can move both at the same time. Neeiighhhh! I win because I knocked you two castles over!


I think you may be thinking of pillaging... This is like chess, but you actually get to kill people and take their stuff.

User avatar
Lord Aurora
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:14 am UTC

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby Lord Aurora » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

As much as this is blatant propaganda, there's a flip side to the coin---people who accept EVOLUTION blindly as proven fact without looking at the evidence. It's true that there are gaps in the evidence for evolution. And a lot of people (on the interblag and otherwise) blindly shoot down creationists by saying "Oh me yarm UR SO DUM U BELEEV IN GOD LOLOLOL" and think they're taking the "intellectual high ground" just because they're in what they perceive to be the "right camp," and when someone else calmly explains to them that evolution is a theory (which, in fact, it is---most scientists accept this) they'll do everything to resist accepting that.

There are morons on either side.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11120
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby Yakk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

Looking at the world "as it really is" gives you certain advantages. You can figure out things that other people cannot, allowing you to project your will and tell other groups of people to bugger off.

Once you have a weapon capable of defeating any defense by the other side, and a willingness to use it even if suicidal, if your society falls off the deep end into ignorance and willful blindness, there is little that can be done to correct the issue.

In essence, the advantage of being scentific as a society is that it lets you control the world better. The problems of in-society social interaction can be mostly delt with without a scientific mind-set: just kill, beat, or otherwise punish everyone who disagrees with your rules, and reward the enforcers with extra large shares of the pie.

Only after an utter collapse: either to the level where you can no longer sustain the weapons that keep other societies away, or more likely to the point where your elites look out at the rest of the world and say "crap, this place sucks", does a corrective force occur. Look at the soviet union -- it took them 50+ years to reach the point of collapse. Forcing a world-view on your fellow citizens is easy if you are brutal enough about it.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢
Posts: 3137
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby bbctol » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

Lord Aurora wrote:There are morons on either side.

Yes, but to be on the side of Judeo-Christian Creationism necessitates that you are a moron, where as being an evolutionist does not.

User avatar
seladore
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:17 pm UTC
Location: Tumbolia

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby seladore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

Lord Aurora wrote: It's true that there are gaps in the evidence for evolution.


I'm not sure I agree with this. Having read a lot of biology books, and a lot of creationist literature (odd fascination I guess), I think the evidence for evolution can be described as overwhelming.

Lord Aurora wrote:... a lot of people (on the interblag and otherwise) blindly shoot down creationists by saying "Oh me yarm UR SO DUM U BELEEV IN GOD LOLOLOL" and think they're taking the "intellectual high ground" just because they're in what they perceive to be the "right camp," and when someone else calmly explains to them that evolution is a theory (which, in fact, it is---most scientists accept this) they'll do everything to resist accepting that.
There are morons on either side.


This is true: I think such people are as bad as creationists. Holding unexamined, strong beliefs you cannot back up is A Bad Thing.
I know some (not many) atheists which I could probably beat in an organised debate, if I were to take the creationist side, which bothers me. LEARN THE REASONS FOR YOUR BELIEFS, PEOPLE.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

bbctol wrote:
Lord Aurora wrote:There are morons on either side.

Yes, but to be on the side of Judeo-Christian Creationism necessitates that you are a moron, where as being an evolutionist does not.

Not.. exactly, no. Now, completely rejecting the scientific evidence outright, sure.. but being a Judeo-Christian Creationist (That is, someone who believes in a Singular God that, in this case is the God of Abraham) that happens to believe that God created everything and isn't too clear on the details but figures that while the Bible says it happened like this, it was probably a bit more involved that just that and besides, what's wrong with a God who started the Big Bang anyway?

Yeah, probably not a moron.

Of course, there's people who believe the point of Evolution was to create people, so they're actually a bit dimmer than the "GOD MADE EARTH 6000 YEARS AGO!" people. I mean, at least the 6000yearists believe the force behind it is intelligent. Those particular wacky Evolutionists somehow concocted a belief that what works out to the process that results from a rough series of guidelines (that can be boiled down to "Breed so that your offspring get to breed.") somehow has an end goal. Which is kinda like saying the point of water is to be used in the creation of delicious Coca-Cola.

Drink up, kids!


...Damn, I only now realize I should have gone with Kool-Aid, so I could have made a Rev. Jones joke at the end.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

seladore wrote:I know some (not many) atheists which I could probably beat in an organised debate, if I were to take the creationist side, which bothers me. LEARN THE REASONS FOR YOUR BELIEFS, PEOPLE.


The fact that I am an atheist is not related to my belief in evolution.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

And yet, the fact that I'm a Pizzaist is directly related to my love of tomatos and flatbread.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

I hate tomatoes, but I love pizza.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
hideki101
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:50 pm UTC
Location: everywhere and nowhere

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby hideki101 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

Lord Aurora wrote:As much as this is blatant propaganda, there's a flip side to the coin---people who accept EVOLUTION blindly as proven fact without looking at the evidence. It's true that there are gaps in the evidence for evolution. And a lot of people (on the interblag and otherwise) blindly shoot down creationists by saying "Oh me yarm UR SO DUM U BELEEV IN GOD LOLOLOL" and think they're taking the "intellectual high ground" just because they're in what they perceive to be the "right camp,"...

There are morons on either side.

I agree that there can be people on either side of the coin who are so completely zealous for their cause that they completely ignore other ideas.
...and when someone else calmly explains to them that evolution is a theory (which, in fact, it is---most scientists accept this) they'll do everything to resist accepting that.

I am a agnostic who believes in evolution, but I think of it as a theory. Why? Read this:
National Academy of Sciences wrote:
Is Evolution a Theory or a Fact?


It is both. But that answer requires looking more deeply at the meanings of the words “theory” and “fact.”

In everyday usage, “theory” often refers to a hunch or a speculation. When people say, “I have a theory about why that happened,” they are often drawing a conclusion based on fragmentary or inconclusive evidence.

The formal scientific definition of theory is quite different from the everyday meaning of the word. It refers to a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence.

Many scientific theories are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them substantially. For example, no new evidence will demonstrate that the Earth does not orbit around the Sun (heliocentric theory), or that living things are not made of cells (cell theory), that matter is not composed of atoms, or that the surface of the Earth is not divided into solid plates that have moved over geological timescales (the theory of plate tectonics). Like these other foundational scientific theories, the theory of evolution is supported by so many observations and confirming experiments that scientists are confident that the basic components of the theory will not be overturned by new evidence. However, like all scientific theories, the theory of evolution is subject to continuing refinement as new areas of science emerge or as new technologies enable observations and experiments that were not possible previously.

One of the most useful properties of scientific theories is that they can be used to make predictions about natural events or phenomena that have not yet been observed. For example, the theory of gravitation predicted the behavior of objects on the Moon and other planets long before the activities of spacecraft and astronauts confirmed them. The evolutionary biologists who discovered Tiktaalik (see page 2) predicted that they would find fossils intermediate between fish and limbed terrestrial animals in sediments that were about 375 million years old. Their discovery confirmed the prediction made on the basis of evolutionary theory. In turn, confirmation of a prediction increases confidence in that theory.

In science, a “fact” typically refers to an observation, measurement, or other form of evidence that can be expected to occur the same way under similar circumstances. However, scientists also use the term “fact” to refer to a scientific explanation that has been tested and confirmed so many times that there is no longer a compelling reason to keep testing it or looking for additional examples. In that respect, the past and continuing occurrence of evolution is a scientific fact. Because the evidence supporting it is so strong, scientists no longer question whether biological evolution has occurred and is continuing to occur. Instead, they investigate the mechanisms of evolution, how rapidly evolution can take place, and related questions.

In science it is not possible to prove with absolute certainty that a given explanation is complete and final. Some of the explanations advanced by scientists turn out to be incorrect when they are tested by further observations or experiments. New instruments may make observations possible that reveal the inadequacy of an existing explanation. New ideas can lead to explanations that reveal the incompleteness or deficiencies of previous explanations. Many scientific ideas that once were accepted are now known to be inaccurate or to apply only within a limited domain.

However, many scientific explanations have been so thoroughly tested that they are very unlikely to change in substantial ways as new observations are made or new experiments are analyzed. These explanations are accepted by scientists as being true and factual descriptions of the natural world. The atomic structure of matter, the genetic basis of heredity, the circulation of blood, gravitation and planetary motion, and the process of biological evolution by natural selection are just a few examples of a very large number of scientific explanations that have been overwhelmingly substantiated.

Science is not the only way of knowing and understanding. But science is a way of knowing that differs from other ways in its dependence on empirical evidence and testable explanations. Because biological evolution accounts for events that are also central concerns of religion — including the origins of biological diversity and especially the origins of humans — evolution has been a contentious idea within society since it was first articulated by Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace in 1858.
http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11876&page=11
If you don't want to read the wall of text above, it just means the scientific definition is very different from what the everyday usage of it is. The ordinary definition of theory would actually probably closely mach the scientific definition of a hypothesis: an educated guess based on initial information you have at that time.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

User avatar
seladore
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:17 pm UTC
Location: Tumbolia

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby seladore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
seladore wrote:I know some (not many) atheists which I could probably beat in an organised debate, if I were to take the creationist side, which bothers me. LEARN THE REASONS FOR YOUR BELIEFS, PEOPLE.


The fact that I am an atheist is not related to my belief in evolution.


Good for you. I don't see your point?

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

His reasons for Athiesm have nothing to do with his understanding of Evolution. Hence, your CAPSLOCK sentence is meaningless in respect to him.. and many other folk, both religious and non.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
seladore
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:17 pm UTC
Location: Tumbolia

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby seladore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

OK, I think I see what you mean. I used 'atheist' as a synonym for 'Evolution Believer".**

I take that back.

But I don't see how that invalidates the idea that people should learn the reasons for their belief systems?


** Incidentally, is there a good name for this? "Darwinian" seems to give the impression that evolutionary science is a cult of personality, while "Evolutionist" seems to have been invented by the creationist lobby.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

What's wrong with the term "evolutionist" being invented by the creationist lobby? The "Big Bang Theory" was named thus by its detractors.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

seladore wrote:OK, I think I see what you mean. I used 'atheist' as a synonym for 'Evolution Believer".**
I take that back.
But I don't see how that invalidates the idea that people should learn the reasons for their belief systems?
** Incidentally, is there a good name for this? "Darwinian" seems to give the impression that evolutionary science is a cult of personality, while "Evolutionist" seems to have been invented by the creationist lobby.


What you said isn't invalidated or necessarily wrong, but the way you said it links the idea of Atheism and Evolution while eliminating the other options (namely Religious and Understanding and acceptance of evolution as a sound scientific theory)

Alternately, it sounds as though you're saying it's impossible to be religious and understand evolution, which is barmy nonsense. You're also calling evolution a belief system... which is also barmy nonsense, in the general sense.. though there are people out there who are believers in evolution - I basically mentioned them, the kind of person who essentially believes that random chance has a point and that there's an underlying structure and order to the universe, but they're totally an Atheist because Gods are for the stupid, you know?

Basically, a long-winded way of saying an idiot.
Last edited by SecondTalon on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
seladore
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:17 pm UTC
Location: Tumbolia

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby seladore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:21 pm UTC

I'm not sure, but I don't like it... it kind of implies a devotion to evolution above other forms of science and rationality.

This is why it works well as a creationist propaganda term: it brings to mind (to my mind at least) a group of people, who slavishly believe in evolution and hate any dissenters, rather than a group of people who rationally asses the facts and see that evolution is the most probable explanation.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

seladore wrote:This is why it works well as a creationist propaganda term: it brings to mind (to my mind at least) a group of people, who slavishly believe in evolution and hate any dissenters, rather than a group of people who rationally asses the facts and see that evolution is the most probable explanation.

.. but there are people who do that. Some people have a lot of Belief(x). Some people have a little Belief(x). What a person chooses to spend their quantity of Belief(x) on is up to them.. Some choose Religion and accept whatever due to a book telling them so because they have a lot of Belief(x) and put it all in that. Some people, even though they have a small amount of Belief(x) still choose to spend it on religion for a wide variety of reasons - but the point being that they've thought about it long and hard, and have come up with the only rational solution to be acceptance of $religion$.

Still others with lots of Belief(x) choose to spend it on Scientific Theory, and rather than actually researching the hows and whys for themselves, simply accept whatever a Scientist says because it's SCIENCE, not because they've actually looked in to it and gotten a layman's explanation out of it. These are the same sort of people who hear about an experiment that caused a photon of light to vanish and reappear on the other side of a atom-wide barrier and write news articles titled things like "SCIENTISTS INVENT TELEPORTATION!"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Rakysh
Posts: 1276
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby Rakysh » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

I'm an evolutionist Christian who thinks the bible is overrated. I have, in the past, had all my views on everything dismissed as wrong basically because I believe in god by someone with THERE IS NO BIBLICAL GOD in inch high letters in their sig. So I definitely think there are morons on both sides, but just because you are a creationist, it does not make you a moron. When someone has pounded the "fact" that god made the earth 6,000 years ago into your head every day of the whole of of your life, and told you anyone that tells you otherwise is trying to lead you to eternal damnation, then I think they can be excused for believing that that is true. Eventually of course, most people will "see the light", but understanding that there may be more to their beliefs than pig headedness is important, I feel.

User avatar
seladore
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:17 pm UTC
Location: Tumbolia

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby seladore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

Second Talon wrote:What you said isn't invalidated or necessarily wrong, but the way you said it links the idea of Atheism and Evolution while eliminating the other options (namely Religious and Understanding and acceptance of evolution as a sound scientific theory)

Alternately, it sounds as though you're saying it's impossible to be religious and understand evolution, which is barmy nonsense. You're also calling evolution a belief system... which is also barmy nonsense, in the general sense..


True, and true. Sorry, I wrote without fully thinking.

Too much time reading creationist literature perhaps: they sat up a neat little dichotomy with SECULAR ATHEIST EVOLUTIONISTS on one side, and RATIONAL THINKING CREATIONISTS on the other, and it's easy to slip into this mindset when discussing the issue.

For the record, I know that
1) Atheists don't all believe evolution is a valid theory
2) Theists don't all reject evolution.

That is all.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Turns out Evolution Is A Racist Concept...

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:I'm an evolutionist Christian who thinks the bible is overrated. I have, in the past, had all my views on everything dismissed as wrong basically because I believe in god by someone with THERE IS NO BIBLICAL GOD in inch high letters in their sig. So I definitely think there are morons on both sides, but just because you are a creationist, it does not make you a moron. When someone has pounded the "fact" that god made the earth 6,000 years ago into your head every day of the whole of of your life, and told you anyone that tells you otherwise is trying to lead you to eternal damnation, then I think they can be excused for believing that that is true. Eventually of course, most people will "see the light", but understanding that there may be more to their beliefs than pig headedness is important, I feel.


Which is why I think this thread would be well-served if it became a repository of particularly delicious Your Mom Jokes.


...

Delicious like your Mom.

*Alternate punchline*

HA HA! You believe in an all-loving being who forgives you of your worst transgressions so long as you genuinely believe you have done wrong and ask for forgiveness!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 30 guests