"idiot test" aka "read everything before doing anything"

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Account20151023

Re: "idiot test" aka "read everything before doing anything"

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

Boman

Amidoinitrite?

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

The Auto Shop teacher at my high school gave a variant on this test to his students every year. It made a lot of sense there, since not reading all the instructions and/or not thinking a job through completely while working on a car can have some dire consequences[1].

The best part was he wrote the test up himself, and one of the steps was "Go next door to the metal shop and get a pencil from the jar on the teacher's desk, complete the rest of the exam with this pencil."

The metal shop teacher would warn the students in his class that the auto shop kids would be coming in toe get pencils, and why. So the auto shop kids got laughed at as they came into the room. Which oddly, didn't cause any of them to actually read the rest of the test first. And more oddly some of those metal shop kids were in auto shop as well and *still* got caught by the test.

[1] I'm reminded of another Auto Shop incident I read about somewhere. Teacher would spend a while in the classroom talking about safety while working, in particular making sure a car was properly supported before working on or under it.
Then he'd take the class out to the shop on the pretense of an unrelated lesson. There would be a car already about 18" up in the air on jack stands. He'd ask who wanted to crawl under first, when he picked a volunteer he'd ask them if they were ready, and just before he let the kid crawl under the car he'd push the car with *one finger* and cause it to tip off the jackstands and crash back down onto its wheels. He'd prepped the car to look solidly supported while actually being precariously balanced. Made for a *very* effective object lesson in double checking safety & supporting equipment.
Last edited by Pixel on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

I hope you mean 18 inches. O_o
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

Whoops, yes I did. Fixed.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:59 am UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:@The Hyphenator:

It's just Cee Lo's face doubled and moving at a diagonal down-out, making room for the next inkblot in the sequence, from Gnarls Barkley's Crazy. . .

You win a link to a theremin playing robot! (The other theremin version has better pitch, not to mention expression, but sadly dies not feature a robot.)
~ You will eat a tasty fortune cookie. Oh look, it came true already! ~

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:I had something like this, but still finished long before anybody else and erased all my previous answers still before anyone else finished.

Well touch you twice.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:42 am UTC

*Cries because I cannot claim the reward*
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

simply_me

Postby simply_me » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:20 am UTC

We were giving this at the start of the year in science a few years ago, i got about half way through and then saw the last line. Was a tad embarressed but not after seeing the rest of the class yelling out etc

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:20 am UTC

I got this test in third grade. It was made out to be a contest (whoever got first would win), so I of course ignored the first step and raced through the rest of the steps and was proud to be the first to finish the test, upon which I was treated with a few condescending stares. Fuckers. Comic 169, indeed. As far as I'm concerned, I won.

SteveM17

Postby SteveM17 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:10 am UTC

I've done this test twice, once as a very young kid and once as part of a training scheme with adults.
The first time I was the only one in the class who did it right. The second time there were two, maybe three of us who got it right. I was honestly surprised an adult would fall for it, because the emphasis on reading everything in the first line is a dead give away in my opinion.
[url]http://moody-by-name.blogspot.com/[/url]

bonzombiekitty

Postby bonzombiekitty » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

My mom told me about a math test she had to take once in high school. It was a a whole long set of steps of with lots of parenthesis. They were told the only answer that mattered was the final answer since it relied on all the previous steps and all that would be looked at was the final answer, if it was right you aced it, if it was wrong you failed. i.e.:

A: (1*2)+(2/192(292^4(12+2)) ....

B: A * (1+21912 + 2(129(122(281^23)/12123120912)))) ....

[...]

This apparently went on for several pages with just a lot of tedious math and this was in the age before calculators. The very last step:

Z * 0

My mom was the only person in the class to look at the last step first. She finished in two seconds, everyone else took almost an hour to do all the tedious, useless math.

AtomicCow

Postby AtomicCow » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

skullturf wrote:Instruction 1 says "Read everything before doing anything", the implication being that you should first READ instructions 2 through 19 and then PERFORM instructions 2 through 19. The intended "smart" response is, when you read instruction 19, to immediately decide not to perform any of instructions 3 through 18. However, the very decision not to perform instructions 3 through 18 is the result of PERFORMING instruction 19. Why should you PERFORM instruction 19 as soon as you read it?

Random832 wrote:The correct response: Read steps 1 through 19. Do steps 2 through 18 (step 1 having been the reading). Read steps 1 through 19 again, as step one as part of step 19. Do step 2 again (but not the rest of the steps). Explain what you have done so you do not fail.

Think of it as programming. It will preform each task. Since you read number 19 while preforming number 1, the action should not be taken as you can't do anything until you are finished reading. The algorithm is faulted since 19 says you should "do only 1 & 2" but by following rule 1, you can't complete rule 19 until 2-18 are completed first.

That was my answer for a similar question given in programming my freshman year. I just reworded it to fit this particular test. I wrote "logic error" on the paper and went to lunch. Pass/Fail test, only person that passed out of 14 kids.

astro

Postby astro » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

A math professor once walked into lecture the first day of class. Picked up the chalk and started to write what seemed to be proofs of theorems and equations on the board. After a couple of minutes of this he turned around, and asked the lecture hall why it was they were copying it all down, if it was just gibberish.
The squirrels are out to get us...they are EVERYWHERE! When their rebellion comes, don't say you weren't warned.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

My english teacher did something similar to one of her classes. After she had explained to them many times throughout the year that they should read all the questions in the close reading paper before answering they still weren't doing it, so she made up her own close reading paper where the last instruction was "Don't complete any of the questions. Instead sit and chat to the person next to you." :lol:
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

skullturf wrote:Test
You have only three minutes to answer these questions.

1. Read everything before doing anything.
2. Put your name on the upper right hand corner of this paper.
3. Circle the word "name" in sentence two.
4. Draw five small squares in the upper left-hand corner of this paper.
5. Put an "x" In each square.
6. Put a circle around each square.
7. Sign your name under the title.
8. After the title write "yes, yes, yes".
9. Put a circle around each word In sentence no. 7.
10. Put an "x" in the lower left hand corner of this paper.
11. Draw a triangle around the "x" you just put down.
12. On the reverse side of this paper multiply 703 by 9805.
13. Draw a rectangle around the word "paper" in sentence number 4.
14. Call out your first name when you get to this point in your paper.
15. If you think you have followed directions up to this point In the test, call out "I have".
16. On the reverse side of the paper add 8950 and 9850.
17. Put a circle around your answer.
18. Count out loud In normal speaking voice backwards from ten to one.
1.9. Now that you have finished reading, do only steps one and two.

Fix'd
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

mstrzerg wrote:For the afternoon period he changed the instructions so it said to mark B instead. Needless to say he was very mad when the afternoon class had numerous people who had selected A. Personally, I thought he was just being an ass considering the various flaws of this type of test and I definetly didn't think it was clever.

That was clever. He caught a number of students cheating.

Sadly, the consequences of being caught cheating are probably not "you fail the class, now go away". :(
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Probably Human

Postby Probably Human » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:34 am UTC

My year 7 English teacher gave our class this test. Luckily, I didn't fall for it. Suprisingly enough, only about half the class did the test wrong. I guess it was because our English teacher had trained us well, she was a scary teacher.
Maybe if my signature is witty enough someone will finally love me.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

We did it in fourth grade, and most of my class failed it.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

For shits and giggles, I decided to write my own:

Spoiler:
Name:_________________________________

This is not a test of knowledge but simply a test on your ability to follow instructions. Please read all of the instructions on both sides before beginning and then complete them with a pencil in increasing numerical order unless otherwise specified by the instructions.

1. Write your name on the line at the top of the page.
2. Write any nicknames you may have between quotation marks just beneath the name line at the top of the page.
3. Circle the words "all" and "increasing" anywhere they appear on this test, including in this sentence.
4. Put a box around the word "circle" anywhere it appears on this page.
5. Subtract 429 from 444, and put that number of dots on the right side of this page.
6. Walk quietly to the front of the room and put your name on the board with a marker before continuing.
7. If sailboats can fly or the white house has wings, put a star in the lower left corner of this page. Otherwise, put a smiley face in the upper left corner.
8. If you just drew a smiley face, put a circle around it, otherwise, put a circle in the lower right corner of the page.
9. Print the sum of all numbers between 1 and 100 in this spot:______
10. If the following three names are all the same, skip the next two steps. If they are all different, print the sum of all numbers between 1 and 24 in this spot:______
11. Tear off the upper right hand corner of this page and write on it "true" if Abraham Lincoln was born in a log cabin, or "false" if Thomas Jefferson wrote the Constitution of the United States.
12. Pass the scrap to a neighbor.
13. Wait for a neighbor to pass you a scrap. Write "true" on the opposite if their answer agrees with yours, or "false" if it disagrees with yours. Pass their scrap back.
14. Write your favorite color on the other side of this page, about half-way down.
15. At this time, announce to the class in a clear but not excessively loud voice that you have already followed 15 instructions."
16. Fold the left side of this page over on to the right so that the fold divides it exactly in half. Unfold it.
17. Raise your hand until the proctor comes to your desk, and write whatever he whispers to you right here:_______________________________________________ Remember, he might say different things to different people!
18. Circle the letter in the following sentence that comes closest to the end of the alphabet as many times as it occurs: "Because the status is not quo!"
19. Put a box around the letter that occurs most frequently in the test instructions at the top of this page every time it occurs.
20. Write the vowel that does not appear in this sentence here:_____
21. Circle the name of a country anywhere it appears in this sentence, unless Sam, Eric, and the proctor already told you not to.
22. The Witt twins, Mike and Ike were born five minutes apart. Mike was born second. Announce to the class the full name of the twin who is oldest.
23. If you did not just say "Ike Witt" to the class, say "I mean, Ike Witt." out loud right now, then write the numbers from 1 to 10 in increasing fashion right here:_______________________________. Otherwise say, "I win!" and continue to the next step.
24. If you were the first person to say "I win!" take a victory lap around the room and skip the next five instructions.
25. Stand up on your desk if you happen to be in the possession of a scrap of paper that has "true" on both sides. Stay there five seconds and then sit down and continue. Otherwise, do nothing.
26. While continuing with the test, put a mark on this line for every person that stands up after you've done instruction 25.
27. If anyone is not in the room now, but yet their name is on the board, get up now to erase it and skip the next two instructions. Otherwise, continue.
28. Sam says: "Doesn't 1 mean "no" and 0 mean "yes"?"
Eric says: "1, Sam."
Write what 1 means in this blank:_________________
29. Write the name of the President here:____________________
30. Write the name of something that goes good with tea here:__________
31. Put a box around the letter "t" anywhere it occurs above this line._______________
32. Put the number of questions you have remaining in this test in the blank on line 31.
33. Draw a line along the crease you made in step 16.
34. As loud as you can, shout "I WISH I HAD SOME PIZZA!"
35. Solve the following problem and write down the answer in the blank in the following instruction: 123 + 45 - 67 + 8 - 9.
36. Walk up to the front of the room. If there is no one there, wait for someone else to come up and whisper in your ear. If there is someone there, whisper "____________ slices" in their ear and be seated.
37. Write a short essay about what you did yesterday:

38. What day of the week was the 4th of July on this year? You may use a calendar if you can find one. Write the answer to the left of your name with an arrow pointing to it.
39. Draw an arrow above the word arrow any time it appears on this page (arrow).
40. Lick your thumb and try to rub out this sentence.
41. Clap your hands three times and then don't do the following instruction.
42. Don't do the following instruction.
43. Write any question here:_________________________________________________________________________________________
44. Write the answer to the question you just wrote, if you wrote one, here:____________________________________________________________________
45. Write "I'm following directions" 3 times in the space reserved for your essay above. If you've already filled the space, erase enough of it to write it.
46. Put your pencil in your other hand and complete the rest of the test with that hand.
47. Write your name backwards at the bottom of other side of this test.
48. Do instruction 49 3 times.
49. Do instruction 50 3 times.
50. Turn your test over to the other side.

------OTHER SIDE--------

Name:_______________________________________

51. Fold the top left corner of this page down until it touches the "51" at the beginning of this line.
52. Write your name forwards from across the flap you made in step 51 so that half of your name is on each side of the page.
53. Get out of your desk and do the next instruction, and only the next instruction, on the floor. Do the remaining instructions from your seat unless otherwise stated.
54. Lay down on your back, hold your pencil and test above your face and push your pencil right through the center of the test.
55. Holding the test by the pencil above your head, spin it completely around three times, saying "Ah!" every time it makes a full circle.
56. Hold up the test until the proctor puts a mark on it. Then continue.
57. Grab the test with the other hand.
58. Pull out the pencil and set it on your desk.
59. Hold the test in the air for ten seconds more.
60. Hand the test to a neighbor. From this point on, if you receive a test from a neighbor, you must check their work so far and then return it to him or her and tell him or her what mistakes he or she made.
61. After your test is returned to you, pass it to a different neighbor. It's always a good idea to double-check that you're following instructions correctly.
62. After your test is returned the second time, put the number of mistakes your neighbors found here:_____
63. Write the first 45 words you find on the other side of this page, other than your name, here:________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
64. Write the number of steps you have remaining here:_____
65. If no one else has said it yet, announce: "I got to step 65 first!"
66. Write the first ten odd numbers in increasing order just below your name on this side.
67. Below the ten odd numbers, put today's date. Be sure to write out the entire name of the month: do not abbreviate it!
68. Below the date, write the name of the day of the week.
69. Circle whichever of the following numbers would come first if they were all sorted in increasing order:
0 , 5 , 66, 1/2, 10, 100, 69, 7.6, 3.1415927, 1
70. Circle the number you just circled anywhere it appears on this side of the test.
71. Close your eyes and count quietly to 100. Don't count in your head, but whisper as quietly as you can or subvocalize. After you are done, don't open your eyes, just go ahead and read the next two and items now and remember to do them while your eyes are still closed:
72. Try to whistle your favorite song.
73. Try to write the name of your favorite song anywhere on your paper.
74. Open your eyes and skip to instruction 76 after scribbling out anything written in between here and instruction 76.
0. Now that you've found the first instruction to do in increasing order, do instruction 6, and then, before you sit down, do instruction 75.
75. As quietly as you can, ask the proctor for a bathroom pass. Follow any other instructions he gives you. Leave your test with him.
76. Find a circle anywhere on this test and draw a square around it.
77. Go look for a stapler. Bring it back to your desk. Put a staple in your test.
78. Break the end of your pencil by slamming it on your desk, and then sharpen it again.
79. You aren't using your dominant hand to write again are you? If you are, go get a marker and write on the board with your non-dominant hand: "I promise to follow instructions until the end of the test." Don't worry, you're not the only failure in the class. Otherwise, congrats for doing step 46 right!
80. If you've made it this far, give yourself a pat on the back. Go ahead! Pat yourself!
81. You must now choose whether you want to skip to step 100 or continue with the test. Do whichever you choose.
82. Write the number of words in this sentence on this line: _______
83. A is 1, B is 2, C is 3, D is 4, etc. Write the letter corresponding to the number you wrote for 82 here: ______
84. Fill in the blank: I am happy, they are sad, she _____ neither happy nor sad.
85. What letter would you put at the end of "duck" if you were referring to more than one duck? Write it: ______
86. What two letters would you put at the end of "couch" if you were referring to more than one couch? Write them:______
87. What is the atomic number of the element with the same symbol as the answer on line 83? Write it:_______
88. What is the sum of the atomic masses (to the nearest whole number) of the two elements corresponding to the two letters in line 84? Write it:_______
89. What is the name of the group containing the element symbolized by the letter in line 85? Write it:_______
90. What equation is best associated with the scientist after which is named the element symbolized by the letters in line 86? Write it: _______
91. Let the thirteenth letter of the alphabet equal the answer to line 87. Let the fifthth letter of the alphabet equal the answer to line 88. Using a calculator, solve for the third letter of the alphabet in the equation from line 90. Ask for help if you don't understand. Write the answer, rounded to the nearest whole number, here:_______
92. Write the answers you wrote for 83-86 here, without any spaces between them: _______________
93. Draw a picture of a toaster in the middle of the space, right across the crease:

94. Re-fold the page along the original crease and tear out a half-moon around the toaster touching the crease above and below the toaster so that you make a circular hole in the page and you have a circular scrap with a toaster on one side. Don't worry if you destroy your essay on the other side.
95. Write the answer from the blank in instruction 91 in the first blank in instruction 97.
96. Write the answer from the blank in instruction 92 in the second blank in instruction 97.
97. Go to the proctor and give him the picture of the toaster. Say quietly to him "May I have _______ ________?" and you will receive them.
98. Give one to your neighbor if he/she is still working on the test. If he/she already gave you one, give him/her one back.
99. Use the rest of them yourself and announce to the class that you finished the test.
100. Congratulations! You wasted a lot of time! Waste some more by doing something quiet until the class is over!

Background info: The test will begin one hour before the end of the school day. If a student comes to the proctor and asks for a bathroom pass after writing their name on the board, the proctor signs their pass and gives them a slip of paper that says "Go to the library and ask about the pizza party." If a student brings the proctor a picture of a toaster and asks for three kisses, they will receive 3 hershey's kisses as a consolation prize. Wherever the students are at the end of the day, that's where they go home from.

ian

Postby ian » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

Probably Human wrote:My year 7 English teacher gave our class this test. Luckily, I didn't fall for it. Suprisingly enough, only about half the class did the test wrong. I guess it was because our English teacher had trained us well, she was a scary teacher.

I'd say anybody who does only actions 1 & 2 has done it wrong.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

And, of course, the SRAT:
http://research.microsoft.com/~lorch/pe ... f-ref.html
quite amusing to solve. :-)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

I think the word "paradox" is best used here...

And I also think that this is exponentially dickish.
Ptolom wrote:penis

longs

Postby longs » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:29 am UTC

I've seen this test, many years ago. When I look at it now though, I see it as a very mean trick to play on students--as in actually harmful students who try to do well on their schoolwork. The test teaches obedience, which I don't really value. It teaches mistrust of the teacher and of one's self, exploiting the trust and the teacher-student power relationship, as if to say, 'you're bad because you trust me and because you've relied on your perfectly legitimate five years' experience doing stupid assignments like this.' The definition of success formed by this test is arbitrary. Under normal circumstances, there shouldn't be any reason to proceed in such a counterintuitive way. (And 'everything' in step one ambiguously instructs us to follow the -entire line- of instructions rather than the whole page.) I know this comment is becoming more of a rant, but thinking about this test and remembering school in general kind of pisses me off. bah....
the participle.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:06 pm UTC

Outchanter wrote:Except then the instruction below tells you to ignore the instruction telling you to ignore the instruction below. Which one do you believe?

11. Ignore the instruction below. Follow only instructions 3, 7 and 10.
12. No, ignore the instruction above! Carry out instructions 2 and 5, except where 5 contradicts with 2.
13. Don't trust any of the instructions. It's a conspiracy, man! Don't follow this instruction either!
14. If your name begins with a D, K, or L, follow the instructions in column 2 of the attached blue table. Otherwise, look up the instructions in row 5 of the yellow table and do the opposite.

15. You are not authorized to read the blue or yellow tables; if you followed step 14, please report for termination.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:53 pm UTC

When I did this test, I knew the trick, and did the instructions anyway. I then successfully argued that instruction 1 says to read, and then do the following instructions. So I read them, and did them all, and one instruction contradicted the others. Since there was no reason that the contradictory instruction took precedence over the others, it was wrong to do that one out of order.

The Old Wolf

Postby The Old Wolf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

What's interesting about a test like this, based on the widely varied responses that showed up in this thread, is that you get to choose what lesson you learn.

Some people learned that it's wise to consider all the facts before acting.
Some people learned that the system will dick you around every chance it gets.
Some people learned that it's fun to dance on the head of a pin and appear clever by challenging every conceivable point.
Some people learned that tests are stupid.
And so forth.

And everyone's conclusion is "right" - because they chose their own takeaway, the one that served them best in the moment.
"The greatest insanity is surely to see the world only as it is, and not as it might be."
-Miguel de Cervantes

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

Last edited by Daimon on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:34 am UTC

I remember confusion when I was maybe 4 or 5.

There was an exercice with instructions to "pair all the bees before the shark eats them". There was an odd number of bees. So I drew a new bee to pair with the last one, since the instructions want me to pair all the bees. This was apparently wrong, and the negative mark a stain on my perfect record. Oh, how that lesson was cruel! I just wanted to save the bee!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:33 am UTC

I don't get it, what were you supposed to do?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:36 am UTC

Zarq wrote:I don't get it, what were you supposed to do?

Leave the last bee out. The instructions didn't make sense: a good life lesson I guess.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:35 am UTC

Huh, I figured the answer was "Sharks don't eat bees."
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:10 pm UTC

Or something like you can pair one bee up with this one, and then pair it up with this one, too.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:37 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Or something like you can pair one bee up with this one, and then pair it up with this one, too.

Orgies: always the best solution.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:41 pm UTC

Yeah, I take the xkcd approach to this. Intentional miscommunication is not cleverness.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:15 am UTC

This one I don't like because of the three-minute time limit. It takes me a while to actually follow long lists of directions like that, so my instinct would be to do them all as I went so that I would at least get partial credit if I couldn't finish in time. Other people might panic because they aren't fast readers, and know they wouldn't have time to read it over once and then go back and follow the directions. This would be a much better lesson if there were no time limit.

I remember one of my high school teachers gave my class a vocabulary test where we just had to name the part of speech of each word she said. They were all adjectives. I was the only one who got them all right, because everyone was convinced it was a trick. I was worried about that too, but I checked over the answers three times and I was sure every word was an adjective.

I also like the "thinking outside the box" drawing.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

astrekmaster

Postby astrekmaster » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:09 am UTC

I actually got one of these in my Bio class, but for some reason I decided to disregard the last instruction. I wrote "Nice!" next to the last step.
I define progress on a computer problem as getting a different error message.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:06 pm UTC

"Read everything before doing anything" - reading is doing something. Logic error at line 1. Abort, Fail, Retry?

If you reject the first instruction as impossible, then there is no issue...

astrekmaster

Postby astrekmaster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:46 am UTC

I thought the same thing in my Bio class actually, but passed it off as over-thinking it. Could one get extra credit for pointing that out?
I define progress on a computer problem as getting a different error message.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:52 am UTC

In real life, yesterday one of the bakers I supervise had a four line recipe to follow. She did not read all four lines and put the pies together incorrectly. There was no time limit, but if she had glanced further down the page, all would have been fine.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:45 am UTC

When I was getting advice from more experienced beer brewers that was, they said, the second most important advice (the first being sanitation). Read the whole recipe first so you know what's coming up.
Last edited by SurgicalSteel on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Return to “General”