Reminder

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Spoffin

Reminder

Postby Spoffin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:22 am UTC

Bit of an odd one this, but if you wanted to be reminded of something (say, a date or an appointment) not a week or a month in advance, but fifty years into the future, how would you do it?

Lets stipulate that the information to be remembered is arbitrarily short, and has no relevance or use prior to the recall date. Paradigm case, a date and place to meet someone.

Best I can think of is to have it tattooed on a visible part of your body. Can anyone do any better?
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

Mandiful

Re: Reminder

Postby Mandiful » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:38 am UTC

I would remind myself the same time that it is to occur every year (perhaps using a different method every time) until the day comes.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:44 am UTC

Mandiful wrote:I would remind myself the same time that it is to occur every year (perhaps using a different method every time) until the day comes.

If we're going by mental, non-physical methods, repeating the required data ten times upon waking and going to bed each day would work fairly well. You just have to work it into yourself as an obsession so you don't get lazy.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Mandiful

Postby Mandiful » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:49 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Mandiful wrote:I would remind myself the same time that it is to occur every year (perhaps using a different method every time) until the day comes.

If we're going by mental, non-physical methods, repeating the required data ten times upon waking and going to bed each day would work fairly well. You just have to work it into yourself as an obsession so you don't get lazy.

I was thinking about that. But it's extremely mentally intrusive.

But then again . . . not everyone's for marking their bodies, either.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:53 am UTC

Well, you're going to have to either use an unreliable mechanical apparatus to set up a reminder (Do you trust Outlook on these timescales? I don't.) Or do something intrusive, physically (tatoo) or mentally (ritual). And the ritual isn't that bad, honestly, although I can see how it might be irritating in some questions.

Ooh, here's another idea, find some way to take over the video feed from a major TV network, and broadcast a message about "In exactly fifty years, it will be necessary to remember <data>." Let the rest of the world do the actual remembering.

Well. You heard him.

Mandiful

Postby Mandiful » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:58 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Well, you're going to have to either use an unreliable mechanical apparatus to set up a reminder (Do you trust Outlook on these timescales? I don't.) Or do something intrusive, physically (tatoo) or mentally (ritual). And the ritual isn't that bad, honestly, although I can see how it might be irritating in some questions.

Ooh, here's another idea, find some way to take over the video feed from a major TV network, and broadcast a message about "In exactly fifty years, it will be necessary to remember <data>." Let the rest of the world do the actual remembering.

Well, but that's why I would set up a new reminder every year.
50+ years is too long to rely on a certain form of technology, but certainly a year isn't.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:04 am UTC

Couldn't you pull a trick like in Back To The Future 2?

Send yourself a letter, with explicit instructions for it to be delivered at X date and time and place. Or (since it's the future) to X DNA sequence. XD
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Mandiful

Postby Mandiful » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:11 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Couldn't you pull a trick like in Back To The Future 2?

Send yourself a letter, with explicit instructions for it to be delivered at X date and time and place. Or (since it's the future) to X DNA sequence. XD

Yeah, I was thinking that.

But then again . . . who trusts the postal service?! -horror- :shock:

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:15 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Couldn't you pull a trick like in Back To The Future 2?

And where are you going to be in 50 years? (Having my DNA on a giant database for postal purposes is more than just a bit creepy.)

Well. You heard him.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:38 am UTC

Mandiful wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking that.

But then again . . . who trusts the postal service?! -horror- :shock:

You don't trust the postal service... They're Western Union.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:26 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:If we're going by mental, non-physical methods, repeating the required data ten times upon waking and going to bed each day would work fairly well. You just have to work it into yourself as an obsession so you don't get lazy.
Not only might it be difficult to make it into an obsession that you'd never forget to do, but you'd have to do it every single day during the interrim so that, rather than just having the information memorized, you are actually reminded of it at the right time. This strikes me as inefficient. Personally, it would take me a very short period of time to memorize a small amount of data for life; being reminded of it at the appropriate time (without expending an amount of effort disproportionate to the amount of data memorized) would be the difficult part.

Personally, I'd probably use a mnemonic to associate the fact that I'd memorized the data with an object I was likely to see on a reliable, regular - though not necessarily frequent - basis (once a year would be often enough) throughout my life. Then, I'd recall the data whenever I saw that object. When it came to less than a year from the due date, I'd set up a mental association with an object I'd see more frequently - say, once a week. By the time it came to a week from the date, it'd probably be so ingrained that all sorts of things would start reminding me of it automatically.
Last edited by Robin S on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:31 am UTC

How about just making it into a sign or framed picture and hanging it in every apartment or house you move to?

Assuming you're unlikely to become homeless in the interim, you should be fairly easily able to find it, pack it, and put it back up each time you move, and it's a damned sight less intrusive than a tattoo.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

For anyone thinking of relying on memory, bear in mind that you don't even know what your mental state is going to be like after fifty years. Memory loss (esp of small details/information) by age 70 is not atypical.
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

I'd tell certain friends that I'll have their money on (1 day before event). He 'll remind me of the money and I will remember the event, I need to be reminded of :D
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

Exotria

Postby Exotria » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

I'd use SuperMemo.

Although as I haven't yet shelled the money out for it, I have no idea if it'll have the results that I've been built up to from it after all the raving testimonials.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
niolosoiale wrote:So which side of the fence would you say I'm on? Why?

The confusing one. I think you should pick a different fence.

EdB

Postby EdB » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

In 50 years I'll be 96 so I won't really give a hoot if I forget something I was supposed to remember for 50 years. If the person I was supposed to meet remembered and for some reason didn't remind a guy in his 90s, well, that's their problem.

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:18 am UTC

About a year ago, I was incredibly bored and was trying to amuse myself with my cellphone. I ended up flipping through the calendar manually in an attempt so see how far into the future it went. After a while, I reached the year that I will retire (if 65 is still the standard then.) and i decided to write a little message for retired me on my birthday.

it shows up every time I write another reminder so I remember it pretty well by now. And I intend to transfer it to the new cellphone if I should by one.

It reads:

"Are there any flying cars yet? (or FTL travel?)"

choginga

Postby choginga » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:21 am UTC

The tattoo would be cool though, if the event was significant enough. You would have a cool story every time someone asked about it.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

I believe many law firms offer services that could be used for this. Simply enclose a reminder to be delivered to you at some future date at which time you will pay for the service. Your lawyer should be up to date on where you can be reached at the time of delivery and the promise of money gives him incentive to deliver.

If not, then a bank or brokerage, pick an old, stable one, and put some money in to some long-term thing that will mature within a reasonable amount of time before the event.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:32 am UTC

I think I'd just write myself a note and tuck it into my wallet or filofax. That way I'd be aware of it and if my wallet got stolen I could rewrite the note.

Or, as someone previously said, put something up on the wall of your house. That'd work without being overly intrusive.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

muffin of doom

Postby muffin of doom » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:27 am UTC

Hmm... Maybe I would write it on my calendar for the appropriate day every year (eg: 49 more years until____). And then I'd write an additional note somewhere in December to remind myself to write it in for the next year, too. I don't know, maybe I'm overestimating the likelihood that I wouldn't screw up the system somehow over the course of 50 years, but I think it would probably work.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:03 am UTC

I'd put a note in a time capsule and connect an alarm to the capsule that connects to a wristwatch that I can wear for 50 years. I'll have it wired so that it would reach me where ever I am; maybe connected by satellite. I'd have it so that the capsule is ready to open 24 hours in advance of the date or appointment, so that I may have time to get there.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

I'm liking the idea of writing it on the calendar every year. Whatever it is must be pretty important if I have to schedule it 50 years in advance. I don't trust technology or my memory enough for that.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

I plan on being dead in 50 years, so if it was something really important, I'd tell my kids or wife about it. It's their problem now.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:13 pm UTC

It's simple.

1. Find a gullible but reliable friend.
2. Tell them that unless you are at that place on that date, the world will end.
3. Tell them to remind you about it near that date.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

KevorkianKat

Postby KevorkianKat » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

Seeing as I'll be in an ecovillage by then and have little direct access to huge computers and iffy access to electricity, I'd go with burning it on a piece of wood and sticking it on a sign outside my door.

TizzyFoe

Postby TizzyFoe » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

I think i'd focus on the age i'd be 50 years from now. So when i'm 72 i've got this thing i have to do. then when the date gets closer set an appointment on my computer. This is assuming that the information will cross my mind at least every year or so, and i can evaluate how well i am remembering it.
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

make talking about it a birthday tradition.
It rains on the enemy too!

Daelar

Postby Daelar » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Being a diary keeper, i'd just write it as the first thing on each page until it happened.

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

sticky note on my computer monitor. I could make a new copy for each computer I get.

raylu

Postby raylu » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:37 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:If we're going by mental, non-physical methods, repeating the required data ten times upon waking and going to bed each day would work fairly well. You just have to work it into yourself as an obsession so you don't get lazy.

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.

---

Spoffin, have you picked a solution yet? I'm pretty curious about how this works out, though I doubt these forums will be around in 50 years.

masher

Postby masher » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:01 am UTC

grythyttan wrote:About a year ago, I was incredibly bored and was trying to amuse myself with my cellphone. I ended up flipping through the calendar manually in an attempt so see how far into the future it went. After a while, I reached the year that I will retire (if 65 is still the standard then.) and i decided to write a little message for retired me on my birthday.

My phone can go to 30/12/2100!

longs

Postby longs » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

This is a pretty sweet question. I think even better questions, however, are--

Did Spoffin have some real situation in mind for this question? If not, then in what real-world situation would one need to do this? Make it as believable and interesting as possible.
What if the time period was much longer, like for one's children, or some other more distant generations?
Suppose the bit of information was very embarrassing, or a displeasure to recall? (like a tragedy involving your friends or parents)
Suppose the information could not fit on a square on your calendar, or could not be memorized? (like a long string of seemingly random characters)
What other interesting complications can we introduce to this situation? We need something that will very reliably exist in the future, and that is very low maintenance. What other criteria can we list?

In any case I suspect the answers to the complications I listed above are just that I would record the actual information somewhere else, like a safety deposit box, and list instructions to getting to it in the actual reminder (which will be easy to memorize). Or, if I don't want to keep recalling this information every year, I could use as many unintrusive, redundant reminder methods as possible. Like Yahoo! alerts, or the cellphone thing, or drawing something up with a lawyer, and others.
the participle.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I believe many law firms offer services that could be used for this. Simply enclose a reminder to be delivered to you at some future date at which time you will pay for the service. Your lawyer should be up to date on where you can be reached at the time of delivery and the promise of money gives him incentive to deliver.

If not, then a bank or brokerage, pick an old, stable one, and put some money in to some long-term thing that will mature within a reasonable amount of time before the event.

I think relying on something external and non-technological like this is a good idea. I would still be concerned about the firm/company/bank going out of business or losing a whole bunch of files, so maybe having 3+ different reminders of this type to be sure.

It still doesn't seem as reliable as tattooing it on your chest though...

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

Spoffin wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:I believe many law firms offer services that could be used for this. Simply enclose a reminder to be delivered to you at some future date at which time you will pay for the service. Your lawyer should be up to date on where you can be reached at the time of delivery and the promise of money gives him incentive to deliver.

I think relying on something external and non-technological like this is a good idea. I would still be concerned about the firm/company/bank going out of business or losing a whole bunch of files, so maybe having 3+ different reminders of this type to be sure.

If you put it on your chest, you won't be able to read it without asking someone else or looking in a mirror (then it'd have to be backwards), and if you do that, then you'll already be aware of the date anyway.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

steelmole

Postby steelmole » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:13 pm UTC

I think putting in a time capsule could work well. Make a big fuss about putting all these important artifacts in then slip a note in at the bottom with your information on. Whack a plaque above the time capsule so it'll definitely be dug up.

Or you could encode the information in an incredibly catchy song. I'm pretty sure I'll remember Micky in 50 years whether I like it or not. If you released the song you could put a date in it somewhere, that way people might reference that song on that particular day (assuming it was released and became reasonably popular).

I'm a bit worried by the assumption I'll be alive in 50 years though, fingers crossed eh?

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

I know where I'll be September 28th, eighty-seven years from now. Hard to believe I'll be 107 years old... Let's hope I make it.
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:15 am UTC

Ramses IV wrote:
Spoffin wrote:

If you put it on your chest, you won't be able to read it without asking someone else or looking in a mirror (then it'd have to be backwards), and if you do that, then you'll already be aware of the date anyway.
You could write it upside down -_-

And the point of the tattooing is simply that its always with you, and you'll be made aware of it frequently enough that you'll be reminded of it close to the time.

kriel

Postby kriel » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:25 am UTC

I have a hard enough time remembering stuff for an hour, much less 50 years.

But anyway.

I think having the message always visible would be the best. Thus, either a tatoo (ew) or a sign in my house.

Next best would probably be trusted third party. Bank, lawyer's office, etc.

I wouldn't trust any of my friends, nor any of my electronic devices. Though, I might make just a simple digital clock that counted down (50*365.25-1)*24*60*60 seconds. Or something.

longs

Postby longs » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:15 am UTC

Mercat wrote:I know where I'll be September 28th, eighty-seven years from now. Hard to believe I'll be 107 years old... Let's hope I make it.
What happens there/then,Mercat?
the participle.

Return to “General”