Pot

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

How much do you smoke?

none
63%
smoked a few times
17%
smoke every couple of months
5%
smoke every couple of weeks
3%
smoke every couple of days
4%
about once a day
3%
whats sober?
1%
otter/duck
4%

Total votes: 414

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Re: Pot

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:24 am UTC

Freakish wrote:
Spoiler:
The Lion, not my Sherlock.

Before I read the text I was like, "WHAT."
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:14 am UTC

Freakish wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:So I guess you should think of America when you think of weed, rather than the Netherlands (where a paltry 19.8% tried marijuana, compared to America's 42.4%).

I believe from the last study done by the UN, Canada had the 4th largest amount of stoners at ~17% Netherlands at ~15% and the USA at ~12%.

Here's what I won for having the best anti-drug essay at the end of our DARE program in grade 5/6(?)

Spoiler:

From what I could find, the UN's study was the percent population 15-64 years old that used MJ in the last year, whereas the statistics I had were who ever tried MJ in their lifetime. So I guess canada has more active users. You win this round, Canada.

My essay for DARE did not win. My only recollection of those classes was the constant barrage of questions about the cop's weapons, and being told that huffing paint or glue is a really bad idea. I've yet to huff paint to this day.
"When a cat walks down the street in a hat like that, people know that he's not afraid of anything."

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:18 am UTC

You just reminded me that our cop/DARE person told us she wasn't allowed to pull out her gun on school property... Damn...
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:27 am UTC

Iconoclast wrote:
Freakish wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:So I guess you should think of America when you think of weed, rather than the Netherlands (where a paltry 19.8% tried marijuana, compared to America's 42.4%).

I believe from the last study done by the UN, Canada had the 4th largest amount of stoners at ~17% Netherlands at ~15% and the USA at ~12%.

Here's what I won for having the best anti-drug essay at the end of our DARE program in grade 5/6(?)
Spoiler:

From what I could find, the UN's study was the percent population 15-64 years old that used MJ in the last year, whereas the statistics I had were who ever tried MJ in their lifetime. So I guess canada has more active users. You win this round, Canada.

My essay for DARE did not win. My only recollection of those classes was the constant barrage of questions about the cop's weapons, and being told that huffing paint or glue is a really bad idea. I've yet to huff paint to this day.

I've never seen the point of huffing paint or glue. It sounds fucking stupid.

"Oh yes! I'll just breathe in the toxic fumes of this LEAD BASED PAINT! AHHH LOVELY!"

I suppose it's not that far removed from smoking weed, but at least weed is a more professional way to get high. You don't see shady blokes in trenchcoats hanging around alleys, clanking mysteriously and doling out fist sized cans of paint to flustered looking people with a penchant for dark glasses, do ya?

Or maybe it's just my area. Not many paint dealers around here. Unless you count hardware stores and the like.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

The extent to which huffing paint or glue is different from smoking weed, in my estimation, is completely staggering. I have never, ever seen any appeal in huffing anything. Much like snorting coke, the method of administering the high is completely unattractive, for one. I smoke cigarettes, and never found smoking pot to be particularly unpleasant (though accidentally taking a really harsh bong hit has made my lungs sting so much, my whole chest ached for hours. I chalk that one up to my own stupidity) but inhalants- they are things that could fucking kill you the first time you do them if you're stupid enough. Catastrophic body damage? No thx. I'll stick to side effects like 'eating a lot of Ben & Jerry's' and 'laughing uproariously at Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle'.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

i've huffed some air duster in my time. really cheap high.. at least it's not addictive or habit forming afaik.

it's one of the weirdest feelings i've ever felt though. my friend and i took a huge hit before listening to 'take a bow' by muse in the meijer parking lot. we basically died for the duration of the song..

it makes you really loopy and giggly, numbs your whole body and paralyzes you, makes sounds pulsate, and does what can only be described as brain damage. obviously not the safest thing in the world.. and if you hold the can a little too crooked you'll get some wicked frostbite on your tongue, not to mention the hideous taste..

so i'd stick to not using inhalants.. but it was pretty fun.. weoweoweoweoweoweoweow

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

I'm trying to find more information on that statement- that inhaling this particular substance is not habit forming... I know for a fact that DARE told me it was, but I also know that DARE is willing to lie to people in the interest of the War on Drugs. Inhalants of certain types can and will be habit-forming and addictive, but I couldn't say which. I suspect based on what I've read of them, the 'high' associated with inhalants is probably akin to the effects of choking oneself until just the moment of passing out- the effects are result of brain damage, coupled with the damage do other systems of the body. If anybody has a citable source that suggests whether inhalants are addictive or not I would like to see it. I'm not interested in trying inhalants myself, but I like information. And hopefully if anyone reading this thread has the desire to try something they're going to also be smart enough to get all the available information on it first.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

well i only say it's not addictive or habit forming from personal experience. and i've only ever used air duster..
the 'high' only lasts about 3 minutes max, with a slight 'afterglow' (kind of numb/out of it) that lasts a few more minutes...
i think it fucks with your vocal cords too because it makes you talk kind of slow and deep, like you've got a mouth full of marshmallows. i haven't done any extensive research on it though.
i guess it could be habit forming, but whenever i did it me and some friends would just go buy a can and once it was cashed we wouldn't do it for another few months... we never noticed any permanent damage but we don't do it anymore.
it's fun but not really worth it. you come out of it feeling defiled because it's so cheap and dirty.. something i'd rather leave to the africans.
not sure what more i can say about air duster.. and while i love the smell of paint and glue i don't think i'll ever intentionally try to get high off it.

anyone ever try any jenkem? :?

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:09 pm UTC

If it's anything like the lightheadedness you get while spray painting, I never want to do it. Maybe it's just psychological, but that nice swimmy feeling you get in your head just feels like pure brain damage to me. Also, dirty highs are not cool. IMO air dusters are only good for little air guns, and freezing your shoe. But that's way too off topic.
"When a cat walks down the street in a hat like that, people know that he's not afraid of anything."

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:50 am UTC

Just putting this out there. I didn't think it would work, but yesterday, some friends and I made pot tea.

It actually didn't taste that bad. It was pretty fun and there was no smoking involved, so that's probably a good thing.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

btilly

Postby btilly » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:05 am UTC

Freakish wrote:You just reminded me that our cop/DARE person told us she wasn't allowed to pull out her gun on school property... Damn...

By my recollection, under Canadian law she was right. Police have the right to bear arms, but not to use them except when otherwise permitted such as at a firing range or for self-defense. Pulling out the loaded gun in a school would not qualify.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:13 am UTC

Talking about inhalants, I've used amyl nitrite (poppers) and it's awesome. As described a few posts up; it makes you feel all swimmy, you can feel your pulse, it's generally fairly awesome. The only problem is it only lasts a few minutes and as soon as you start to come down, you get the knee-jerk reaction to huff more.

I've only used it when I'm already twisted on at least two or three other drugs so it's like the cherry on top of my drug-taking experience? I remember listening to a Southstylerz track (very hard, fast techno) on my headphones will huffing on a bottle of amyl and my heartrate went up to ~150bpm :shock:

Not something I would want to do all the time (as much becasue you get used to it and lose the awesome effects) but I definitely get cravings for it far more than I crave anything else (even coffee / cigarettes) and I've only used it a few times.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

poleboy

Postby poleboy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

I'm a "retired" smoker. Smoked for years, probably 10+ if we go all the way back to the very first joint.

A lot of people so far have taken the "pot is harmless" stance. I agree... sort of. The only "bad trips" I've had have been when I was drunk and stupid enough to forget that you can get very very sick if you smoke pot while drunk. Like, cold sweat vomiting sick. Not everyone has this problem, but I did. Strangely, it doesn't seem as bad the other way around (get high, then drink). A few times I've gotten a little paranoid, but this was mostly because I thought I was going to get caught smoking by someone who was not supposed to see it (like cops). I see this as completely normal paranoia (if such a thing exists :P ), only strengthened by the fact that I knew I was high and felt that others knew it as well.

As for addiction. I had feared that quitting would be impossible, but it was actually pretty easy, despite the fact that I lived about 5 minutes away from the nearest dealer at the time and had enough money for it. So anyone claiming that pot is physically addictive is a big fat liar as far as I'm concerned.
Psychological dependency however...
There are some people that I considered my best friends that I hardly see anymore, simply because I don't smoke. This was pretty hard, and a little unexpected to be honest. You rarely realize how much of your life can be dedicated to one thing unless you remove it. I planned everything around smoking. Smoked every day, usually. I'm not saying this is what will eventually happen when you smoke, but I've seen a lot of people go through this process.

I'm making a big deal out of this, though. I don't regret anything. I had a lot of fun smoking and when I'm old enough that people won't care about me contributing to society anyway, I'll probably start again.

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:23 pm UTC

Nitrous oxide is the only safe inhalant I know of. You can get whip cream cartridges that contain only nitrous oxide(make sure you check, not all of them do), let out the gas into a balloon, enjoy once the balloon is room temperature.

Nitrous oxide health vault from erowid:
Spoiler:
Nitrous oxide has been safely used as a mild anesthetic for over 150 years. Problems with its use come primarily from carelessness. Potential problems include :

* Brain injury and suffocation can result from lack of oxygen. When used as an anesthetic, nitrous is always administered in combination with oxygen. Never use nitrous in any manner that does not provide for adequate oxygen intake.

Note that it is not necessary to feel shortness of breath or a sense of oxygen deprivation in order for the body to be dangerously short of oxygen. The sensation of being unable to breathe comes as a result of unusually high levels of carbon dioxide (CO2) rather than low levels of oxygen. Because of this, people who inhale pure nitrous oxide or other gases do not have the sensation of being unable to breathe, despite not getting enough (or any) oxygen. It is quite possible to suffocate while breathing pure nitrous oxide without ever feeling discomfort or a shortness of breath.

o Never strap a gas mask to your face while using pure nitrous as it is possible to black out and die from lack of oxygen.
o Never use a garbage bag as a delivery device. It is possible (and has happened) to black out and suffocate when the bag falls over the nose and mouth.
o Never open a tank of nitrous in a sealed room, closet, car, or other space.

* Very cold temperatures of the gas can freeze the lips and throat if taken directly from a tank or whippit. Releasing the gas into a balloon first allows the gas to warm before being administered.

* High levels of pressure may rupture blood vessels in the lungs and force air into the chest cavity, causing the lungs to collapse. This is primarily a problem when nitrous is being administered directly from a tank or other pressurized container. Again, releasing the gas into a balloon first eliminates this risk.

* Heavy and frequent nitrous use can deplete vitamin B12 in the body and lead to serious and unpleasant neurological problems. Users may experience numbness and tingling in the fingers, toes, lips, etc. In more severe cases, numbness of all extremeties. Taking B12 supplements, especially in combination with multi vitamin and complete amino acid supplements, may help alleviate this problem. If you experience these symptoms, cease nitrous use immediately and if the symptoms persist, seek medical attention. See Nitrous & B-Vitamin Dangers.

* Careless use of nitrous oxide can also cause nausea, vomiting, and disorientation, primarily from inhaling too much, too soon.

* Since nitrous produces a temporary loss of motor control and dissociation, it's extremely unwise to inhale it while standing or while in any situation where unconsciousness is dangerous.

* Some users of nitrous report headaches and generalized discomfort for an hour or more after inhalation.

* Nitric Oxide, a toxic industrial gas, is occasionally mistaken for Nitrous Oxide. Users should be careful they know what they are inhaling. Inhaling Nitric Oxide can permanently damage the lungs or kill.

* Olney's Lesions: there is little to no evidence that Nitrous Oxide use causes the brain lesions described in William White's "This is your Brain on Dissociatives" and, without further evidence, this hypothesis should be considered invalid for Nitrous Oxide.
don't plow that beautiful field!

drock

Postby drock » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

Blunts + Shrooms = great great great time. Especially when you're in a dirty man made lake full of gasoline with plants fighting to survive around it crunching under your every footstep. The greens were very green and the death browns were deathly brown. T_T' Beautiful nonetheless in a sad vibrant color way. But most of that was because of the shrooms.

Anywho! It may not be proven to be addicting, but it sure is a little mentally addicting to me. =T
"Hey, they're trying to learn for free! Get em!" - Simpsons

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Argh! I can't wait to try shrooms... :\
I want to do them!

But, I'm waiting for my friend who's giving me some to be less multibusy.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

drock

Postby drock » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Argh! I can't wait to try shrooms... :\
I want to do them!

But, I'm waiting for my friend who's giving me some to be less multibusy.

Don't eat before you take shrooms because it'll take a while for you to digest and don't expect to be hungry. :P
Blunt takes away most of the uneasy feelings. Enjoy!

Multibusy?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

Sorry. on another community I'm on, the prefix multi means that the it's the most it could possibly be.
For example, if someone is multifat, they're the single fattest thing ever.

Currently my friend is the busiest being in the universe.

I'd like to do pot again, but I probably won't, as most of my friends don't like it, and I'm not going to do drugs alone/don't have a dealer.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Shroom pizzas are wicked awesome, but you have to have someone who knows how to do it, or you'll bake the hallucination right out of it, thereby making it just a standard pizza al fungi.

drock

Postby drock » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:Shroom pizzas are wicked awesome, but you have to have someone who knows how to do it, or you'll bake the hallucination right out of it, thereby making it just a standard pizza al fungi.

A very VERY expensive pizza al fungi.

hmm still need to try pot icecream sandwiches and brownies. Just worried I might eat too much and get sick.

Blipo

Postby Blipo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

Pot food is worth the risk of over-consumption.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:13 am UTC

Unicyclist wrote:Nitrous oxide is the only safe inhalant I know of. You can get whip cream cartridges that contain only nitrous oxide(make sure you check, not all of them do), let out the gas into a balloon, enjoy once the balloon is room temperature.

It's safe as long as your sticking to whip cream canisters. Pretty easy to kill yourself when your dealing with actual canisters of Nitrous.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

drunken

Postby drunken » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

The results of the poll surprised me: on in the internet, as in real life, I had assumed that when I encountered a reasonable, easy going, intelligent, well spoken and polite person that meant they were probably a pot smoker. Given that reasonable, intelligant, well spoken and polite pretty much sum up this entire community I thought there must be xkcd conventions where the weed was brought in by articulated trucks.

I realise now what a silly assumption it was but in my personal everyday life I tend to find that pot smokers are much more open minded and non smokers tend to have a bit of a bug up their arse. Maybe it's just the circles I frequent.

I am still surprised at the huge non smoking majority here.
***This post is my own opinion and no claim is being made that it is in any way scientific nor intended to be construed as such by any reader***

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

This poll needs to include those who have quit but were once pot heads. Also those who have not yet smoked pot but plan on becoming potheads.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

wst wrote:There's a guy in my town who thinks he's Jesus. He asked me for 10p for a train ticket to a court case related to him giving Muslims shit ("If you were me, wouldn't you?", I think he asked, rhetorically). I gave him 20p, but ended up being lectured on how I was a decent person, like Jesus. Thefuck? (Oh, he was on allll sorts back in the day)

Correlation does not equal causation.

Or, simplifying it so I can curse - Batshit crazy is Batshit crazy, regardless of the amount of drugs taken.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

sweet_concorde

Postby sweet_concorde » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

First off, every drug will have side effects, drugs are different for everyone, and any drug can be dangerous. Penicillin, aspirin, St. John's Wort, caffeine - can all be dangerous for some people. Aspirin is a blood thinner, for example. That can be a problem with some conditions and medications. There was a girl who died from a Icy-Hot overdose. You can hallucinate from consuming large amounts of nutmeg, morning glory seeds (don't try this with store-bought seeds, they're treated).

There is a ton of BS out there on both sides of the whole drugs are good/drugs are bad thing. I'd recommend being very skeptical of any information you get. I highly recommend getting a psychopharmacology textbook off of half.com or somewhere like that (ex: Drugs, Behavior, and Modern Society - the one I used for the psychopharmacology course I was in), because if you're just cherry-picking your facts from what the druggies and rabid anti-drug groups have to offer, it isn't likely to be the most reliable information.

So, here is what I have to offer from my notes (sold the book - regret doing this...):

Psychological dependence is a bigger problem than physical. You can lock someone in a room until they are no longer physically addicted to a drug, but they will still crave it. People crave cigarettes years and years after they quit smoking them, for example. I've spoiler'd a little more about psychological dependence.
Spoiler:
Psychological dependence? Need 3 of the following
1. tolerance
2. withdrawl
3. unintentional overuse - this can be promising to come home in time for dinner, stopping by the bar for a drink or two, and stay out drinking for the rest of the night
4. persistent desire or effort to control
5. preoccupation - spending a bunch of time to get the drug, use it, get over it, etc.
6. reduce/abandonment - avoiding certain friends or social situations because the drug won't be there or you can't get away with bringing it yourself
7. continued use - despite having problems (some friends or girl/boyfriends stop wanting to hang out with you because of your drug use, have problems in school or with the law, have problems at home, etc.)

Acid!

The original high takes about half an hour to begin, and lasts for an unstoppable 9-12 hours. Vision and hearing intermingle (seeing sound waves, hearing colors), you see brilliant colors and images with your eyes closed, can see through things, you feel very creative and enlightened (out of body experiences, too), pictures smile at you - the problem is that you can panic about what you're experiencing and go on a bad trip. You can also decide you'd like to get off the high - and you can't stop it. That can be a problem, but might not be.

You can't really become addicted to it, because tolerance develops so fast. If you take it too often, no amount will get you on a trip. People don't generally use it much anyway because of the whole-day-trip thing.

Oh, and the reason it stays in your brain for so long is because it's shaped like serotonin, which your brain likes to store and re-use later ("re-uptake"). You can have "flashbacks" days, months (half a year for sure), or possibly years later. Most people won't ever have a flashback, and the 'years' thing is arguable. Some say it's happened, others say it isn't possible (or that it seems to happen, but isn't because you still have the drug in your system). But - if you were making a decision on whether or not to take acid, you should consider that as a possibility.

The only really rotten thing about LSD is when it is given to someone without their knowledge/consent (it is odorless and tasteless, so you can lace things with it pretty easily - and some people are jackasses and screw with stuff at grocery stores). So I can understand why they wouldn't be keen on legalizing it, even though it isn't technically dangerous or addictive.

Mushrooms!
or: psilocybin. A much weaker hallucinogenic than LSD, about half as "high" and for half as long. Messes with vision, perception, time - but not as much as the LSD. A lot of hocus-pocus involved with fasting and mental states. Can be dangerous because you don't know what you're buying, and there are a lot of very f'ing dangerous mushrooms and a lot of irresponsible people. There is another type of hallucinogenic mushroom as well, that amanita muscaria. As seen in "Fantasia" and "Super Mario". This one can be lethal when it is the right type of mushroom. Didn't write down any of the effects, except that it makes you twitch all over.

Marijuana!
In low doses, acts as a depressant (like alcohol - was popular during the prohibition for this reason) and in high doses, acts as a stimulant. In very large doses, or with certain individuals, could cause hallucinations.
Got a lot of crap and anti-weed propaganda when it started to become popular with suburban kids, was made illegal and a schedule one drug (yeah, this is all U.S. information).
It is one of the few drugs that can take practice to use. The effects are stronger when the drug is smoked, and the THC content can vary (it's a plant). So far, no one has died from THC alone.
It's fat soluble, and can show up on drug tests for a few months if person is a long-time user. Tolerance can develop as well, so the person would also be using more of it to get effects.
Typical effects: It doesn't decrease your reaction time while driving, but you may not be paying attention and you may not notice details that could be kind of important. Makes you feel euphoric, time passes slowly. Can annoy people because you think everything is funny, or you could feel creative or philosophical when it is just gibberish. Memory issues while using (later on you may not clearly remember what happened while using, while using: not a lot of focus on what is happening right now, or what just happened a minute ago. Memory issues aren't extreme).
The book I had said it had MORE carcinogenic crap than tobacco, and you hold it in your lungs - this is when you're smoking a typical "joint", and don't have a filter. It also said it isn't particularly bad for fertility, but it will lower sperm count because it lowers testosterone.
It can be helpful to those with glaucoma or those taking chemo (lowers pressure in eyeball, decreases nausea so you don't get as nauseous and don't get "learned" nausea). There are similar drugs they have created, but they are pretty expensive and may not work well for everyone. Also, the drugs can have other side effects.

huffing things
Don't huff things. Not even whipped cream. Even with the whipped cream, you aren't getting the same thing you get when you go to the dentist - if you screw up and don't get enough oxygen mixed in you can cause brain damage. Using other household things is worse because of the toxic fumes involved, you can not only get brain damage or die, but you can damage your kidneys, heart, liver, lungs... Ugh. It really isn't worth it. Seriously - everyone starts out stupid enough. Why make it worse for a cheap & short high? Go out running or something.

Personally, I am one of those lame high-on-life people (although I think caffeine-free Mountain Dew tastes funny, so I do drink caffeinated beverages). I'm currently researching gardening and landscaping, and I like to go on bike rides. I'm thinking about buying a soft-serve ice cream machine. I just think hanging out stoned would be a big time-waster, and I have no interest in it. I get stressed out. I have anxiety sometimes (it was a lot worse, with panic attacks and insomnia), and sometimes it would be nice to just be able to use some drug and make myself feel better at the end of the day - but I prefer finding more long-term, IMHO "healthy" solutions. And I have. I'm proud of myself for this.
I've had friends who had drug problems (alcohol is a drug, but I'm also talking about marijuana). My husband has had friends like this, and so have my older brothers. I think "needing" marijuana (not including actual medical reasons) is sad. The friends I had, I had before and after they became stoners, and we quickly ran out of things in common because I didn't want to get high all the time. I've run into some of them recently, and the ones that have "moved on" are better for it and are glad they are off of it. The ones who started using it in high school and are still using it heavily 8 years or so later, haven't changed a lot since then. Still working in the bowling alley, etc. But, they don't want to change and they like it. So - okay. Whatever floats your boat. YMMV.

Yummy Tree Sap

Postby Yummy Tree Sap » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

drunken wrote:The results of the poll surprised me: on in the internet, as in real life, I had assumed that when I encountered a reasonable, easy going, intelligent, well spoken and polite person that meant they were probably a pot smoker. Given that reasonable, intelligant, well spoken and polite pretty much sum up this entire community I thought there must be xkcd conventions where the weed was brought in by articulated trucks.

I realise now what a silly assumption it was but in my personal everyday life I tend to find that pot smokers are much more open minded and non smokers tend to have a bit of a bug up their arse. Maybe it's just the circles I frequent.

Why would you assume that reasonable, intelligent, well spoken and polite people are pot smokers? That doesn't make sense at all.
Hi, love!

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

Yummy Tree Sap wrote:
drunken wrote:The results of the poll surprised me: on in the internet, as in real life, I had assumed that when I encountered a reasonable, easy going, intelligent, well spoken and polite person that meant they were probably a pot smoker. Given that reasonable, intelligant, well spoken and polite pretty much sum up this entire community I thought there must be xkcd conventions where the weed was brought in by articulated trucks.

Why would you assume that reasonable, intelligent, well spoken and polite people are pot smokers? That doesn't make sense at all.

Perhaps all the reasonable, intelligent, well spoken and polite people he knows are pot smokers. That would make more sense then.

Regarding the long post about the various drugs: I want to try LSD. Badly. Unless I have the most fantastic trip in the universe, I probably will only take it once, just for the experience. The problem is that I have nowhere I would be confident taking it. The few people I know who take acid and know how important it is to have a minder, aren't people I know particularly well, and I wouldn't be comfortable around them.

Damn.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

Comfortable is good.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Comfortable is good.

I need to find a friend with somewhere we can hang out, undisturbed for a day or so, listen to music, and give it a go.

Perhaps my singer? Although I don't know his views on acid, he's a good guy who would stop me doing completely stupid shit, as opposed to filming me doing it.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:01 am UTC

Yummy Tree Sap wrote:

I've noticed a very strong correlation between these two things in my own life as well. If I had to guess at an explanation for it, I'd say that since there are effectively no consequences for smoking here in Soviet Canuckistan the decision to try it or not to try it comes down to, in large part, the degree to which someone is curious and to which they blindly follow/believe the authority view. I like people who are naturally curious and I'm not particularly fond of people who are blindly obedient. Note that some of best friends don't smoke and never have; I'm not saying that choosing not to smoke pot nessecarily implies anything about ones character, simply that there's a correlation there.

Edit:
or: psilocybin. A much weaker hallucinogenic than LSD, about half as "high" and for half as long. Messes with vision, perception, time - but not as much as the LSD. A lot of hocus-pocus involved with fasting and mental states. Can be dangerous because you don't know what you're buying, and there are a lot of very f'ing dangerous mushrooms and a lot of irresponsible people. There is another type of hallucinogenic mushroom as well, that amanita muscaria. As seen in "Fantasia" and "Super Mario". This one can be lethal when it is the right type of mushroom. Didn't write down any of the effects, except that it makes you twitch all over.

It's been my (limited) experience with shrooms that the hallucinagenic component lasts only about an hour, while the associated high lasts for the qouted 5ish hours.

Sykotic1189

Postby Sykotic1189 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:45 am UTC

Never drink while you smoke. I have some bad experiences with that shit.
Good times?

I'm not paranoid, I sleep with a 14'' boot knife for other reasons.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:48 am UTC

sleepygamer: You really don't need to get so worked up over acid. A lot of the shit you hear about it is from hippies being melodramatic on the internet. Just do a tab (or less, if you're really worried... but then it's kind of a waste), with a couple of mates at someone's house, and you'll be fine. All this stuff about "minders" and everything is overkill.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:55 am UTC

While I agree.. if you've got it worked into your head that you need a minder and don't have one, it's possible you'll freak yourself out.

Psychosomatic and all that.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:57 am UTC

Argh. I hate the people who have done this to LSD. I hate the people who prounce about all over the internet proclaiming you've got to "RESPECT the drug, man!", as if it's some divine being. Acid is just another drug. You're just getting fucked up, no different than with weed or alcohol, just a different high.

That's all it is. Don't make a big deal out of it and get yourself all paranoid. Once you've done it, you'll realise all that shit is just as ridiculous as 'Reefer Madness' is for weed.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:Argh. I hate the people who have done this to LSD. I hate the people who prounce about all over the internet proclaiming you've got to "RESPECT the drug, man!", as if it's some divine being. Acid is just another drug. You're just getting fucked up, no different than with weed or alcohol, just a different high.

That's all it is. Don't make a big deal out of it and get yourself all paranoid. Once you've done it, you'll realise all that shit is just as ridiculous as 'Reefer Madness' is for weed.

Having never tried LSD I can't comment on the accuracy of this statement. However, I've been told the trip is similar to salvia's. Salvia is a whole world away from anything else I've tried; everybody's going to have different experiences, but comparing that to weed or alchohol - or even calling it a high - is a frighteningly inaccurate characterization.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Having never tried LSD I can't comment on the accuracy of this statement. However, I've been told the trip is similar to salvia's. Salvia is a whole world away from anything else I've tried; everybody's going to have different experiences, but comparing that to weed or alchohol - or even calling it a high - is a frighteningly inaccurate characterization.

Depending on the strength of the salvia, salvia can produce much more intense experiences than acid. Those 400x+ varieties are some of the most powerful hallucinogens on the planet.

Please don't call me "frighteningly inaccurate" when you admit yourself you have no clue what you're talking about.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:

Depending on the strength of the salvia, salvia can produce much more intense experiences than acid. Those 400x+ varieties are some of the most powerful hallucinogens on the planet.

Please don't call me "frighteningly inaccurate" when you admit yourself you have no clue what you're talking about.

It wasn't intended to be a hostile comment. But I stand by the point I was trying to get across: this stuff does different things to different people, it should be treated with some respect until he's got some experience and some idea how he'll react.

drunken

Postby drunken » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:20 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:Argh. I hate the people who have done this to LSD. I hate the people who prounce about all over the internet proclaiming you've got to "RESPECT the drug, man!", as if it's some divine being. Acid is just another drug. You're just getting fucked up, no different than with weed or alcohol, just a different high.

I agree with this for acid, but I believe some respect is still in order. I would especially advocate some respect for DMT, thats some scary shit IMO but I plan to take it someday anyway.
***This post is my own opinion and no claim is being made that it is in any way scientific nor intended to be construed as such by any reader***

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

Oh sure, DMT, Datura, PCP, there are a bunch of drugs worthy of being scared of. Cid ain't one of them.

Return to “General”