The World is Ending- What Do You Do?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

The World is Ending- What Do You Do?

Postby Mr. Beck » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Suppose you found out, right now, that the world is going to end. I'm talking hit by an asteroid/sun exploding/eaten by strangelets/zapped by a death star. The end will be relatively sudden and the destruction will be complete. Oh, and you are 100% certain it will happen- no "oh jfk lol".

Where do you go? How do you spend you final time here? Consider scenarios for both a few hours and a few days till game over.

Myself, I would without hesitation grab the car and head to my SO's house. What we would do doesn't really matter- although physical contact would be nice, it's more of an emotional drive. Given a bit more time, I would drive with her out to somewhere really beautiful. The Colorado highlands perhaps, maybe southern Utah of the good bits of California. Away from large groups of people, in any case. I would say goodbye to my friends and family if I had the time, but would rather not have them be the last things I see. At the very end, I would like to be facing the world bravely, up somewhere with a view, and with Girl in my arms.

Baba Yaga's Sister

Re: The World is Ending- What Do You Do?

Postby Baba Yaga's Sister » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:25 am UTC

I'd go out and loot that Hello Kitty bedroom set I've always wanted.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:29 am UTC

I would find anyone I'd ever told a serious lie to, anyone who would want to know a secret I have, and tell them the truth.

I'd like to end holding on to someone I love, just clinging to each other.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

ian

Postby ian » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:55 am UTC

Rejoice

Awia

Postby Awia » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:55 am UTC

Because we know someone is going to say it:

Have as much sex as possible, with as many people as possible.

This is by no means my own opinion, I just wanted to beat you all to it.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

mmx49

Postby mmx49 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:58 am UTC

Start stealing British girls' cell phones to call the Doctor.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:00 am UTC

Grab Erin, go someplace beautifull and just "be".
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

mrguy753

Postby mrguy753 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:14 am UTC

Tell everyone everything I have ever kept from them, and then hug someone hard.
I sing anyway.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:15 am UTC

Probably just stay at home and watch all the crazy things people are doing on YouTube.

Dave Rapp

Postby Dave Rapp » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:22 am UTC

We all would like to say that we'd do something cool or romantic or something we always wanted to do. But realistically, I highly doubt most of us would accomplish that stuff. Chances are most of us would just go out watching TV or something.

We act like what we do in our last moments really counts, but I believe that overall they're probably the least important moments in our oh-so-short lifetimes. If you believe in an afterlife, then what you do in your last moments in life are a bit like what you do in the theater right before the movie starts, or what you do right before you ride a roller coaster. And if you don't believe in an afterlife, as I don't, then the only thing that matters is what people remember you for, and that probably won't be something that happened right before your death.

So what would I do if the world was going to end, I was going to die, nobody would remember me, and 4.5 billion years of evolution would be undone in an instant?

Nothing... nothing at all. I would go out sitting at my computer, reading a webcomic, or talking to a friend.
My webcomic is made with 100% LEGO products and I think you should check it out.
http://www.lq-comic.com

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:46 am UTC

I'd probably spend a day or so in disbelief, then a day or so panicking, then my remaining time trying to get laid or, alternatively, trying to reach the person I care most about to spend my final moments spooning or running to the hills for a slim chance of survival.

Edit: If life did somehow survive, I'd most likely set up a fortress of sorts to protect myself and my loved ones from the inevitable undead/mutant/starving army that would soon come knocking at my doors (See: Lucifer's Hammer).
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:01 am UTC

Apart from sexing it up with my SO, I would partake in all the excesses I desire: eat shedloads of chocolate and sweets, steal lots of champagne, run around naked (maybe paint myself up in some warpaint!), play some music very loud then get off my tits on drugs so I'm too busy partying to notice when the end comes. Call me shallow, but at least it'd be fun 8)
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Øsse

Postby Øsse » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 am UTC

Dave Rapp wrote:We all would like to say that we'd do something cool or romantic or something we always wanted to do. But realistically, I highly doubt most of us would accomplish that stuff. Chances are most of us would just go out watching TV or something.

We act like what we do in our last moments really counts, but I believe that overall they're probably the least important moments in our oh-so-short lifetimes. If you believe in an afterlife, then what you do in your last moments in life are a bit like what you do in the theater right before the movie starts, or what you do right before you ride a roller coaster. And if you don't believe in an afterlife, as I don't, then the only thing that matters is what people remember you for, and that probably won't be something that happened right before your death.

So what would I do if the world was going to end, I was going to die, nobody would remember me, and 4.5 billion years of evolution would be undone in an instant?

Nothing... nothing at all. I would go out sitting at my computer, reading a webcomic, or talking to a friend.
I agree that one's last moments are probably the least importmant moments for everyone else, but for oneself I guess they would probably be pretty important, as one suddenly get an extra strong incentive to do the stuff you've always wanted to do. Sure as you say, much of it would never be accomplished, but I also think that a lot of people, me included, would at least try.

I really don't know what I'd do, but I guess it would be similar to the_bandersnatch's suggestions. I would try to find a good view the the coming doom after I had done everything else, if it was spectacular one, like an asteroid hitting earth in the distance. And I would try to get a hold of a gun in case I realize that my death would otherwise be a painful one (for instance if I see a huuge wave coming towards me, or I suddenly find myself surrounded by flames)

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:20 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:Probably just stay at home and watch all the crazy things people are doing on YouTube.

This. And probably hide away somewhere from all the crazy people trying to hug me, copulate with me, or tell me secrets.
Seriously guys, it's all over, and I was never that fond of you anyway.

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:32 am UTC

I would knit until I could knit no more. Die warm.

I would finish as many unfinished projects as I could. Because there's not really much point in starting something new.

I'd also tell everyone that I love them.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:55 am UTC

Hurry up and take over the world, because I'd like to do it at some stage, and people are likely to be panicking.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:45 am UTC

I'd go tag a couple of the girls I know, then get a blackened steak and cheese sandwich from Subs and Clubs. That shit is BANGIN'.

After that, it doesn't matter. Probably get drunk and go to sleep so I don't feel my flesh get seared off.

Dave Rapp

Postby Dave Rapp » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:11 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:Hurry up and take over the world, because I'd like to do it at some stage, and people are likely to be panicking.

That reminds me of some of Brain's schemes from Pinky and the Brain. A lot of his ended with "In the ensuing chaos, I will rise to power!"
My webcomic is made with 100% LEGO products and I think you should check it out.
http://www.lq-comic.com

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

How long do I have? A few weeks? Road trip to Girl. I don't care how crap or uncomfortable our relationship is right now - that's where I want to be. If the world ends with me heartbroken as usual, that's fine. At least I tried. Otherwise, I die having achieved a goal.

Days? Well, I'm fairly sure air travel would shut down quickly, but I'm also fairly confident in my ability to fly an airliner if I had to (though careful selection of a choice bizjet would be easier, if I can find one with enough range around here).

Less than that? I'd probably be attempting the above.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

It's kinda sad the the only way to make someone go out and see or do something beautiful is by ending the god damn world.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

Or by simply removing all responsibilities (ala, infinite money).

On that note, I'd go into work and map contingency drawdown! Can I get a HELL YEAH?????!!!!

the_bandersnatch
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:Can I get a HELL YEAH?????!!!!

No, no you may not. Carry on.

mclowe

Postby mclowe » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

I would find the best restaurant I could and have the most expensive meal possible. After that I would probably go surfing.

I'd like my last moments to be on the water.
Image When technology screws up, I bring out the bat.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

Personally, id try my best to hunt down and bring serious constant pain to someone who made my, my family's and my friends life hell for half of my lifetime for the entire duration. I would want the universe to end with him looking into my eyes with dread. Hypothesising that when your dead your soul is simply an imprint of your final thoughts. If someone could prove to me that what i did had absolutely no lasting effects on anything ever (ie, the above being false), I'd revert to good ol' sex/impressive view.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

What did the asshole do, if you don't mind me asking?

MattisBel

Postby MattisBel » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

I just about fell out of my work chair laughing at this.

The end of the world? I guess I'd have a lot of anxiety about the whole thing.. probably to the point of being unable to act on a lot of the impulses I'd like to act on. I do know that I would spend it with my fiance- even if all we did was just talk until it was over.
Who looks at a screwdriver and says "Ohhh This could be a little more sonic!"

Kikral

Postby Kikral » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

probably spend time saying goodbye to people I know and my family, open up a few cans of Rockstar or something, play my favorite music at full blast through the house and go sit on the roof playing Mario.

Sure, it's not the most heroic or awesome way to go out, but if I was going to be 'sploded by a massive spacerock, then I want to be in the ideal situation. Looking back on it, and seeing how this is what probably would happen, it makes me smile, thinking about listening to Ozzy or some electronica while a doomsday plot device is breaking through the atmosphere.
I am the man your gods will have nightmares about for the next 50 years.

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

I don't get it. 'splain?

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:

I don't get it. 'splain?

You have to watch the Series Finale of Doctor Who. The one that's just been on. :D
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

ronnie

Postby ronnie » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

I would go down to Fortnum & Mason, and proceed to binge on luxury wine and cheeses. Eat drink and be merry, combined with a nice bit of end-of-the world looting too.

That or hide in an underground station and hope for the best.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

I would ask one of my friends if she wanted to have sex. Just for the hell of it.
And she is hot so meh, win win.

I would also just get a stupid amount of drugs and trip the fuck out.

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:33 pm UTC

DRIVE INTO THE EXPLODING BLAZE OF ARMAGEDDONS WRATH ON AN ENDANGERED SPECIES POWERED HARLEY, A CIGAR IN MY MOUTH, A BOTTLE OF WHISKEY IN ONE HAND, AND A BEAUTIFUL BUXOM SEXPOT (my girlfriend, I mean my girlfriend) IN THE OTHER, SOMEHOW HAVING SEX WITH WHATS IN ONE HAND WHILE CONSUMING WHATS IN THE OTHER AND ALL THE WHILE, ALL THE FUCKING WHILE, GIVING THE CRIMSON RED SKIES A DEFIANT DOUBLE-BARRELED ***FUCK YOU*** FINGER!!!!

Supposing theres nothing good on TV.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:Suppose you found out, right now, that the world is going to end. I'm talking hit by an asteroid/sun exploding/eaten by strangelets/zapped by a death star. The end will be relatively sudden and the destruction will be complete. Oh, and you are 100% certain it will happen- no "oh jfk lol".

Assuming I have 2+Hours
Call up everyone I know locally. Get my mitts on hallucinogenic drugs. Go find a field, set up a lawn chair, lay back, take a heroic dose and enjoy.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

It's not like anything would be left behind, so finishing my book or leaving any imprint of myself is pretty much a waste. (Unless stuff would be left behind, in which case... maybe).

I'd probably just do all the random things I meant to or might never have done otherwise: I'd steal a car, go skydiving, etc. Then I'd call everyone I know and tell them with complete honesty how I feel about them (ie "I always had a thing for you, why did we never get together?") And then when the final moment arrived, I'd like to go somewhere beautiful (up in the mountains, maybe) with the people I love and just watch it all end.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

Does everyone else know the world is ending? If it's just me, sudden burst of psychic intuition, or position of influence in the government giving me privileged information, then I'd probably stay awake until it hit, recording everything to a live satellite feed beaming it into space, in the hopes that the destruction of the human race would make the top 10 of some intergalactic YouTube.

If everyone knew, I'd start cracking skulls. No rhyme, no reason, I'd just drive down to City Central with a Louisville Slugger and a mission.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

DaMullet wrote:Does everyone else know the world is ending?

Maybe, take your pick.

The desire to do a huge amount of drugs is really interesting to me- is it simply a desire to go out really happy?

PrecariousAssumption

Postby PrecariousAssumption » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

I'd probably say goodbye to my friends, tell the girl I like I love her, then PLUNDER!!!
This shit, it is banana's

the_bandersnatch

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:04 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:The desire to do a huge amount of drugs is really interesting to me- is it simply a desire to go out really happy?

To me it's partially to go out experiencing something the like I've never experienced before without having to worry about the consequences, partially to alleviate the inevitable panic that would set in, and partially to avoid being compos mentis when the big bad comes.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:41 am UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:The desire to do a huge amount of drugs is really interesting to me- is it simply a desire to go out really happy?

To me it's partially to go out experiencing something the like I've never experienced before without having to worry about the consequences, partially to alleviate the inevitable panic that would set in, and partially to avoid being compos mentis when the big bad comes.

I dunno. Knowing that you're going to die would probably fuck your trip up something awful, unless you had the right mindset (total apathy towards everything in life.)

If I've got 3 hours, that means 3 hours without consequences. I'd be Genghis Khan with a ute and a shotgun.

3 days: I'd head back to the country house with anyone that wanted to come. It's far enough away so that people looting/rioting whatever wouldn't be a problem, and has pleasant views. For the last few days I'd probably just get high and fuck around with mates, talking about all the shit we were going to do but never had the opportunity to do.

Then this:
SecondTalon wrote:Call up everyone I know locally. Get my mitts on hallucinogenic drugs. Go find a field, set up a lawn chair, lay back, take a heroic dose and enjoy.

If I could get the exact time of impact or whatever, I'd time the trip so I'm just coming down from the peak when I die.

Thank you for this topic. I'm going to think about it, and when I come up with something better, I'll post that.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:17 pm UTC

Anyone ever play Metal Gear Solid 3, or Team Fortress 2?

I'd basically turn into The Fury or the Pyro (respectively).

Or Lethal Weapon [INSERT NUMBER HERE]. The one with the dude with the flamethrower and boombox set up at the beginning? And one of the cops strips off to distract him. I'd totally be that flamethrower dude.

*Plays some Pantera whilst burning all you mothfuckers* (Yes, I very rarely use the word motherfuckers anymore. It has been replaced with mothfuckers, as this also implies you have a tiny enough penis to fit into a moth.)
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Return to “General”