The World is Ending- What Do You Do?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Re: The World is Ending- What Do You Do?

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:29 pm UTC

If I had contact with the alien/robot overlords protectors who were going to be destroying the planet, I would commune with them and request they co-ordinate the final blast with sunset at my location on the globe at the time. Then I would gather a cohort of musicians and raiders to plunder a random military base of their ceremonial old-style cannons and brass band/orchestra parts and gather everyone at a suitably epic hilltop. With everyone facing the direction of the sunset and following conflagration of reality, the band will proceed to play the 1812 Overture (i.e. what gets played in the closing section of V for Vendetta when Parliament gets blown to smithereens) at full blast, with a 20-cannon live ammunition volley in the closing stages. Throw in five hundred metric tonnes of fireworks set off in exponential fashion, and an armada of mammoth stereo speakers cranked up to 20dB, then sit back and enjoy the ride. I would also take the time to get absolutely mortal in advance.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:07 pm UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:The desire to do a huge amount of drugs is really interesting to me- is it simply a desire to go out really happy?
Not necessarily happy.. more completely unaware as to what's actually happening.

Let's say.. beats me how they know, but somehow SCIENCE tells us our sun is going to supernova and it'll destroy the planet in the process. Or there's a giant meteor that's going to punch a hole straight through the planet because it's bigger than our moon. Or.. fuck, the Death Star is approaching.

Anyway, if I'm too busy watching the sky melt or watching this worm crawl around because I'm hallucinating and it looks to me like he's scrunching into a tiny ball then flinging out longer than a football field...

How'm I gonna notice the end? I won't. And that's the point.. a distraction.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

Part of me thinks I'd like to get shitfaced and listen to music, but the other part of me says that I wouldn't quite be distracted enough to not notice the world's end.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote: Or.. fuck, the Death Star is approaching.

The last words myself and anyone around me ever hear would be this:

"That's no moon..."

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:05 am UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:What did the asshole do, if you don't mind me asking?

He gathered up a gang of... less than nice individuals that singled me and my brothers out (individually) for a good ol' game of "stomp on a body part till it breaks"

He got a tiny portion of what was coming to him. But a strict talking too and a wee fine by the law isn't justice in my mind.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Postby 0.0 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:34 am UTC

I would do ton of cocaine and drive around the public roads as fast as I can like Mario Andretti, preferable with some apperatus attached to the back of the car that put burning gasoline on the pavement behind me so it looked like I was going so fast that the road was igniting like in Bugs Bunny cartoons. Then steal a fighter jet and fly that around like "Maverick" shooting missiles into boats. Oh, if I could get my hands on a tank I would LOVE to drive one through town crushing cars and shooting down buildings. Blow up the hoover dam with an attack helicopter, then watch the shear power of the water do total destruction of everything down stream. Definitely would want to try to jump a car like the dukes of Hazzard. I sure hope I have enough time for all this. At the very very end with about 30 minutes to go, take some heroine. I would never dream of doing the stuff in real life, but you KNOW the stuff has to be good. Then at the last moment, take jesus into my heart... no not really.

I guess, with so little time left, I see massive destruction as a very entertaining thing to take part in. Everything else i want to do in life is either done, being done or am planning on doing. These are things I could only do if I KNEW the world was ending.
"Life at any time can become difficult. Life at any time can become easy. It all depends upon how one adjusts oneself to life."

jeremy.degroot

Postby jeremy.degroot » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:36 am UTC

Get lost in the Smokies with my wife for as much time as we have. Call my family on the way in from Raleigh.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:46 am UTC

Kick back with a few beers and some prime 24-hour news channel television. Good beers mind, and maybe a couple of scotches as well. I've been meaning to try this certain brand that sells for roughly £2,500 a bottle....
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

if its a huge ass-meteor heading for earth I would grab a sturdy baseball bat and some kind of protective suit, head out to the place where it will hit first, misunderstand quantum physics for a bit and get ready.

If it's the death star i'd do the same, except with a mirror.

Otherwise i'd probably just cuddle up with my girlfriend and try to avoid a mental breakdown.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:01 am UTC

I kept thinking about this, and I kept coming back to dropping acid and watching the comet/nuke/whatever. I'd probably also tell my father the truth about my drug habits, and my mother the "truth" about my sexual habits ("You're a grandmother. For the next 18 hours")

I don't think I'd do the whole go wild and kill shit. I'd spend a lot of time meditating though.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Moogling

Postby Moogling » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:30 am UTC

Reach climax just as everything goes blurry.

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:03 pm UTC

I'd go the highest cliff/building I could get to, wait until I saw sun exploding/death star firing/nukes dropping and jump, hoping the world ended before I hit the ground.
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

How long I had depends on what I'd do. anything less than 2 days would be spent with my man, do whatever we wanted (especially as he's by the beach) With a quick detour for respective families.

I wouldn't tell people I disliked them, or vent, because I wouldn't want to waste my last breath on those people, they don't deserve it. Nor would I tell people I always had a thing for them years back-I'm sure they'll have better things to do.

I'd like to do stupid stuff, play crazy golf, go skinny dipping in the sea, get drunk a few times, have sex on a roof-normal things that I've either done or will get around to doing, just so I've done them-and so I can be part of a truly surreal situation-everyone panicking around me while I'm doing something insignificant.
Then I'd either watch the end or I'd like to sleep through it in my man's arms, because I feel safe there (feel free to throw up in the buckets provided :P)

What would actually happen, however, would probably involve swearing, vomiting and general pandemonium.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

I've always promised myself, that if I knew it was going to die, and I could do nothing to stop it, I would take it calmly.
So in light of this, I'd probably just spend time as I'd usually do, with friends and family, all the while dodging the people looting and couples having sex in the middle of the road.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Eat as much unhealthy food as possible, find my soulmate (if possible in that amount of time), and skip down the street singing in the nude. I have always wanted to do that.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

Have sex, be blunt, spend my last moments with my SO. And stay far away from DaMullet, what with his skull-cracking plan.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:08 am UTC

Uh, I'd listen to a lot of depressing emo music, and read random depressing emo manga. I would try to find my soulmate or something like that but I'm hopeless so yeah. :P
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:19 am UTC

I'd get married. No point finding my soulmate just before the world ends if I can't hold a gun to a rabbi's head and have us married before we die.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:12 am UTC

Claudio Sanchez. That's right folks. I would do Claudio Sanchez. I don't care if he doesn't know who I am, to my knowledge is not gay, and might already be in a relationship. I would make it work. Cause I care.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:20 am UTC

I don't really do things. I observe. I'll go outside and watch the panicking, and I'll sit in a corner, watching as the comet (I'm assuming a comet) comes closer and closer. I will be stuck with a mixture of intense anxiety, excitement, and love (for all of humanity). I will feel disappointed in myself for doing nothing of worth in my life. If I had a girlfriend I would go out holding her hand to the point that her hand would be in pain; otherwise, I'll just be clenching my fists, digging my fingernails into my palms until I bleed. When the comet hits, I'll be crying and wetting my pants.

I won't try to have sex, loot, climb a mountian, write a poem, read Nietzche, do drugs, or go on the computer (why would I go on the computer?!?!) or any of that bull.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

steelmole

Postby steelmole » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

If I had a few hours I would probably go on a killing spree. Or at least kill one person. I've always wondered what it would feel like and if the world was about to end then I could do it relatively comfortably.

In the event of having a few days I would go down South and see this girl. She's not my girlfriend but asteroids can be mighty persuasive.

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

I don't know what exactly I would do, but I know that I would put it all on a credit card.

And, at the very end, I would rather be at home with my wife and our pets than anywhere else in the world.

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

If it were an asteroid I would climb the highest mountain I could get to in time and bring a baseball bat.

http://www.kiwisbybeat.com/minus37.html
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

niko7865 wrote:If it were an asteroid I would climb the highest mountain I could get to in time and bring a baseball bat.

That is awesome.

And Imagine if it worked! Everybody would love you.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

Aceo

Postby Aceo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:
niko7865 wrote:If it were an asteroid I would climb the highest mountain I could get to in time and bring a baseball bat.

That is awesome.

And Imagine if it worked! Everybody would love you.

Apart from those who love to complain "You made us panic! For NOTHING!".
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:
SecondTalon wrote: Or.. fuck, the Death Star is approaching.

The last words myself and anyone around me ever hear would be this:

"That's no moon..."

ZOMG! You sir just won the xkcd-fora. Everything posted AFTER THIS COMMENT is just end credits!
That's the best joke i have read all month!

Congratulations, you are my new hero!

So, apart from that, what would I do?

If i noticed just now the meteor was coming right now and I'd have like 24 hours and I would be sure of the earth's end I think I would get a Hammer and break into the next music store. I do not want to die without ever having taken a blow (keep your minds off the gutter please) into a trombone. If it is just one bearable note, I'd be happy. I'd take the trombone, name it Jessica (for no reason whatsoever. I just like the name) and get a car. Search and find the girl I love. (I know her already I just don't know where she lives and whether she would be at home) Get a megaphone and scream her out of sleep if neccesary.

Get her in the car, tell her to shut up and just follow me. Drive to [insert beautiful place here], drive car over a cliff and jump out with jessica (the trombone) and S. (the girl). Scenery is sunrise if possible. Now, tell her the meteor is coming, that we are all going to die and that my last wish on earth is that she knows what I feel and have always felt for her. Confess everything. Every night spent awake looking at the ceiling. Every goddamn evening I could do nothing else than just thinking about her 5 hours in a row. Everything. Absolutely everything. Then let her speak. If she want's to leave now for her own plans, kiss her a single time and let her go. Do something until the end. Maybe prictising the trombone. If she wants to stay, make sure dying whilst hugging/kissing her. Everything else is unimportant.

mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

Shakleton wrote:
Get her in the car, tell her to shut up and just follow me. Drive to [insert beautiful place here], drive car over a cliff and jump out with jessica (the trombone) and S. (the girl). Scenery is sunrise if possible. Now, tell her the meteor is coming, that we are all going to die and that my last wish on earth is that she knows what I feel and have always felt for her. Confess everything. Every night spent awake looking at the ceiling. Every goddamn evening I could do nothing else than just thinking about her 5 hours in a row. Everything. Absolutely everything. Then let her speak. If she want's to leave now for her own plans, kiss her a single time and let her go. Do something until the end. Maybe prictising the trombone. If she wants to stay, make sure dying whilst hugging/kissing her. Everything else is unimportant.

Jesum, that's depressing. I know how you feel. I want to die holding onto a girl I love.

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:
Shakleton wrote:

Jesum, that's depressing. I know how you feel. I want to die holding onto a girl I love.

Thanks. Feels good to not be the only one. :)
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

Mitora

Postby Mitora » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:13 am UTC

I...Would go get my SO and take the biggest road trip ever cross country eating the best food I could find.

Apostrophe

Postby Apostrophe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:17 am UTC

Honestly, I would put on my full pirate regalia and walk around in a busy place, maybe New York City.
I think it'd be fun. Maybe I would even get some other people in on it, too. And if the Navy would let us borrow a ship, that'd be fantastic.

'

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:22 am UTC

Would you be borrowing it - if the world was going to end anyway surely they'd not be expecting it back?
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Aceo

Postby Aceo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

Yeah, but no-one really wants you to steal a ship, so you "borrow" it instead.
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

http://qntm.org/?mcalmont
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

DaMullet wrote:

http://qntm.org/?mcalmont

That, good sir, is all manner of awesome.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:35 am UTC

Let's go to the Winchester.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:52 am UTC

Wombat wrote:Let's go to the Winchester.

Awesome idea, haha. No zombies will think to look for us there, and everything will be just alright.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

Spend time with my boyfriend either
A)Having lots of awesome sex
or
B)curled up crying on his shoulder.

Depending on how close Shark Week is :wink:

Unless there are zombies, in which case the only person I want in my zombie shelter is my best friend. :lol:
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Return to “General”