Knives (and the purchasing/carrying thereof)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rippy

Knives (and the purchasing/carrying thereof)

Postby Rippy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

I was reminded by the throwing knives thread that I want to get a good-quality, general-purpose knife for use when camping (and possibly to carry with me in shady areas). The thing is, I went to my local department store, and I didn't know what was good. The pricier ones were these "BucK" brand knives for $60-$80. But I question their quality because, well, they're sold in a department store.

So I'm wondering, what makes for a sharp and durable folding knife? I'm looking to spend ~$60 on one, and intend to use it for things like stripping bark, cutting rope, and perhaps deadly hand-to-hand combat (kidding). I'm wondering what kind of features to look for, and where to look. What kind of metal? Is titanium coating useful? (apart from looking extremely awesome?)

And there's another thing I was hoping fellow Canadians (or preferably, Ontarians) could answer, regarding the law. After some google searching, my understanding is that the only kind of knife that's illegal to carry are switchblades (the kind that open automatically). I also read that self-defense is not a valid reason to be carrying a weapon, and this is what a kung fu teacher told me about carrying tonfa around as well. Does this mean that I could be charged if I, say, got caught with a knife in my pocket at the movies? Would arguing that you always carry it with you justify that?

Anyway, any clarification is appreciated.

WraithXt1

Re: Knives (and the purchasing/carrying thereof)

Postby WraithXt1 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:14 am UTC

I can answer the first question. The Cold Steel Recon 1 with the tanto blade and serrated edge. You get a HIGH quality knife that holds an edge VERY well while maintining a great stabbing edge and a wonderful bit of serration for cutting tendon and what not. I'd look for a serrated edge for tendon/bone cutting power, and a tanto style for stength in jabing and twisting motions. The rest is up to you!

I carried one with me every day when I was in Kyrgyzstan, the thing was a life saver and it's in your price range!

http://www.coldsteel.com/recon1.html

You want the model all the way on the right had side. It also has a changable belt clip!

Reasons to buy-
Durrable (lasted 4 months of non stop cutting and still sharp)
Compact
Balanced well
Looks slick
Great price for what you get

I cant really help on number 2 =(
Last edited by WraithXt1 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:21 am UTC

I, too, am a Canadian interested in carrying a knife. If there's something in the Criminal Code, I'll try to find it later.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:50 am UTC

If you get into a knife fight, you're gonna get cut. That's the one thing I always hear, that makes me think maybe I should consider other options for self-defense. They're great tools though, especially for camping and such.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:05 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:If you get into a knife fight, you're gonna get cut. That's the one thing I always hear, that makes me think maybe I should consider other options for self-defense. They're great tools though, especially for camping and such.

My emphasis. I've been in a few combat skills classes and taken Krav Maga, and this is one thing I've noticed. I'd rather get some stitches on my arm or face than be burried though.

The utility is the main reason I carry my knife, self defense is a second. The Recon 1 LOOKS intimidating enough to scare people off I would think.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:48 am UTC

Well that's the other thing I'd considered, that taking a knife out could just escalate things and make me lose me a wallet AND a finger, instead of just the wallet. Especially considering I don't have the combat training to make me effective enough to win a knife fight, lol. Basically, what I'm intending the knife for is as a last resort, to be used if someone's already coming at me (or about to). I would think it unwise to pull it out and show it to them to try to scare them off, but if someone's already got their hands around my neck, I sure as hell want to be able to jab a piece of metal into their thigh, or something. And the only weapon I know of that's smaller and more convenient than a knife is your body. I am planning on taking up kung fu this September (as recreation, not out of paranoia), so maybe I can train my fists to be deadly weapons instead.

Also, those Cold Steel blades look awesome, but it says they sell for $120 :( I don't think I can justify that for a blade I'm not really going to use that often.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:26 am UTC

I carry a gerber folding knife in my pocket everywhere, but mostly for utility.

not sure about the price (it was a present) but gerber's hold their edge very well and are very high quality.

In the dept. store market/price range, Imperial knives (carbon steel, made in Ireland) are amazing quality for a very reasonable price, I have two that rarely need sharpening even after heavy use (a little research says Imperial also makes knives in the U.S. of similar quality)
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:54 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKna5TLiOpc&feature=related

This is all the convincing you should need to get a Recon 1.

And here it is for 58 bucks! http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=61306

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:58 am UTC

I've got several knives, but ny far and away the most useful is one i got for free from a bag of dog biscuits. Folding, stainless blade, wood/brass handle. It can keep an edge, is fairly sturdy, and fits my hand like a dream. My advice is to go into a store and hold a lot of different knives, maybe even see if you could cut something (a box or stick).

What size are you looking for? The shorter the blade the better imo, as I usually only use about an inch and a half, and then there's less to sharpen. How light? What material for the handle? Plastic, wood, metal? Do you want one that's incredibly durable, or do you not plan on taking it on a 30 journey through the Arctic wastes?

Cold Steel make good knives, as do Victorinox and (my dad's favourite) CRKT. Don't buy one off the internet, especially eBay. Go into a store and hold it. If it doesn't feel right in your hand, you won't like using it, you won't use it as often, and it will be a waste of money.

I know nothing about Canadian law, so i can't help there, but you should (not legal advice here) be alright carrying a knife around in your pocket, as long as you don't do anything stupid (like try to take it on a plane, or yell at a cop), and don't get in a fight. Also, the presence of a knife will escalate a fist fight into something fatally serious instantly. Take it from me, never use a knife in a fight, unless you are prepared to kill the other guy. I brought a knife out once, and only because i knew I would win, and even then i seriously regret it. Also, it ups the charge from assault to assault with a deadly weapon. And if you know what you're doing, it's easy enough to get a knife off someone and turn it against them. And if you're going to get drunk somewhere, leave the damn thing at home. I have far too many scars because i got drunk and decided to throw it up in the air and catch it, or dropped acid and found out that i couldn't feel pain and my blood pressure was too high and had to bleed myself so i didn't explode, or was really depressed and wanted to cut myself so someone would pay attention to me, and so on. Respect your knife is an important lesson to learn.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:18 am UTC

Carrying a knife for utility reasons is very useful, agreed. This is why I carry a leatherman - affordable, decent blade, a ton of other incredibly useful things on it - I use the pliers/wirecutters far more then anything else. And *completely* useless for self defense. If you have to pull a knife, you already really really screwed the situation up. Once you pull that knife, the only way you can really use it is if you are willing to cause life-threatening damage.

What I really prefer, for the times when I feel that I might need self defense, I carry a collapsible baton. Just as portable, just as (il)legal, but if you get in a bad situation, pulling it doesn't automatically escalate to life or death. Very handy for bashing a knee or something then running away - which should be your entire goal. Just smarter for self defense, if you feel you need it.
Lurker Extraordinaire

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:46 am UTC

I don't really like the multitool type. They don't seem that useful to me, probably because the only tool i ever really need is a blade, and if i need a different tool, I'll go to the shed and grab one. I get them all the time for Christmas, but never used any of them once. When i cleaned my room last I threw them out, and my Swiss Army Knives as well (so goddam ugly. Hate Hate Hate!).

If you are going to get one, OP, get one suited for the outdoors. Easy to clean, none of the useless crap on it (corkscrew? I haven't seen a cork in years), and metal, not plastic.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:29 am UTC

pollywog wrote:I don't really like the multitool type. They don't seem that useful to me, probably because the only tool i ever really need is a blade, and if i need a different tool, I'll go to the shed and grab one. I get them all the time for Christmas, but never used any of them once. When i cleaned my room last I threw them out, and my Swiss Army Knives as well (so goddam ugly. Hate Hate Hate!).

If you are going to get one, OP, get one suited for the outdoors. Easy to clean, none of the useless crap on it (corkscrew? I haven't seen a cork in years), and metal, not plastic.

Really depends. I have a little Leatherman. I need the pliers, blade, scissors. Can/bottle opener comes in handy occasionally.

For a basic, cheap good quality knife, Victorinox is hard to beat. Their guarantee is great too. They replaced a blade that I bent for free, a over a year after the fact. And it was all my fault too. You just pay for postage there. Cost me $4. They are everywhere and warranty appears worldwide.

Malsies

Postby Malsies » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

I'm not really a knife connoiseur. But I do have a machete that I bought for $6 at a flea market. I'd love to carry it around with me (mostly for the shock value of a small girl carrying a big knife in a leather sheath in the middle of the city), but I think the downtown cops would have a problem with that. So I keep in by my bed.

I also have a cheap pocket knife in my purse. It's handy for when I have an unexpectedly difficult box to open, or when I meet someone from the internet.
I slice, I dice, and I fit comfortably into your pocket or glove-box!

(Order in the next ten minutes, and get a second for FREE!)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

Well.. I've carried this guy for .. 12-13 years at this point. I've used and abused it. Other than the idiotic corkscrew getting bent the one time someone tried to use it for it's intended purpose and the spring on the scissors getting broken fairly easily (but then again, I probably abused it too much), I've had no problems with it, other than my lack of sharpening it. Oh, I finally did.. first time in, I dunno.. 5 years? Maybe more? It was still sharp enough to get through tape on a box, which is what I use it for mostly.

Still, it's kinda.. odd how many times a miniature saw blade has come in handy.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:What size are you looking for? The shorter the blade the better imo, as I usually only use about an inch and a half, and then there's less to sharpen. How light? What material for the handle? Plastic, wood, metal? Do you want one that's incredibly durable, or do you not plan on taking it on a 30 journey through the Arctic wastes?

Looking for around 10", basically with a blade the same size as a comfortable handle (much like that Recon 1 that was suggested). I'd like it to be big enough to be useful for serious and varied use, (as this will mostly be used on camping trips) but small enough to be carried around fairly easily. I'd like a light knife, but durability is really my main consideration. I'd rather not have to sharpen it constantly. For the handle I'd say metal or wood for durability.

WraithXt1 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKna5TLiOpc&feature=related

This is all the convincing you should need to get a Recon 1.

And here it is for 58 bucks! http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=61306

WANT. Except I want to be able to look at and hold one before buying. Now I'll just have to look around for someplace that carries these things. Any suggestions? Camping stores and surplus stores come to mind as good places for knives. I was going to go for a run today but, what the hell, I'll make it a bike to Adventure Guide instead. I can't think of anything better, short of looking up "knives" in the yellowpages.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the Victorinox Cybertool? I was kinda thinking about getting one for day-to-day use. Yes, I know it would be shit for defense, but I can imagine me using most of the features regularly. I mean, have you ever seen a knife with torx screwdriver bits? I don't even have a #8 torx in my garage! I've seen 'the knife at about half the MSRP posted.

RE: Possession
I was thinking that it would be nice to have around school, for the times when I need a knife/screwdriver/tweezers/pliers and don't want to find the janitor. I go to a very at a small school, and the teachers all know I woulds never use it against someone- most, I think, would have no objections to me whipping it out to fix something. On the other hand, I am living in paranoia America.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

10 inches is a little...much. That's where you start to cross the line (well, you've already crossed it in my opinion) from "utility knife" over to "machete". Most laws I've seen restrict the carry of pocketknives to 3.5" long (the blade) or below, and I've never needed anything longer (not that that's stopped me from buying a few). A good buck knife, probably partially serrated, would be useful for camping, but don't expect to carry it around town comfortably.

For perspective, I have a standard-size Ka-Bar (8-inch blade, I think, nearly a foot long total) and experimented with ways to carry it out-of-sight. It is, shall we say, a significantly awkward proposition. I've used it precisely twice in a utility capacity: once to open a box, and once I used it to cut a cake. For everything else, a small, folding pocketknife suffices nicely.

kovan

Postby kovan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

I'd just like to remind you that in Canada you're more likely to be a victim of cyber-crime than physical violence, so using defense as a reason for carrying a knife doesn't really fly.

Carrying a utility knife is legal though, but I'm not sure at what point it goes from being a "utility knife" to a "weapon" (or even what "hunting knives" fall under)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

Hm.. I thought Utility Knife referred to the box cutter type ones.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

I carrying a Leatherman with me for utility purposes and it's great for camping. I wouldn't whip it out in a fight.

Speaking of fights, I wouldn't whip anything out. Someone pulls a knife on you, you don't engage them in a knife fight, you just give them your wallet. If someone wants you dead, they aren't going to wait for you to draw, and unless your jumpy enough to pull a knife on everyone who's approaching you (or really good at fighting with a knife), I can't really think of a circumstance when having a knife would be a good plan.

I really get annoyed with the number of highschool kids who insist on showing me their stupid blades as an intimidation routine.

If you traverse dark shady areas and are truly concerned with getting fucked with, either don't traverse those areas or carry something large and obvious, like a baseball bat, and call the police ahead of time.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Hm.. I thought Utility Knife referred to the box cutter type ones.

You can do some crazy things to someone's face with a box-cutter.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

The only people I know who carry knives around, one of them is psychotic (literally, she has been in the mental hospital a few times, I avoid her), and the other was a former roommate. He used to play with sharpening chopsticks all the time in the room.

In general, people who carry knives around creep me the hell out. Because they're not that effective in a fight (they cause more lasting damage, but unless you have a big f-ing knife, you're not going to end the fight any faster) and tend to only be carried by the people who are looking for a fight.

Me? I'm a panzy, and I'll just mace you and run like heck. More effective, harder to dodge, and nobody gets their internal organs turned into external organs.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Hm.. I thought Utility Knife referred to the box cutter type ones.

fix'd. Check out Nevada-tan.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:I've got several knives, but ny far and away the most useful is one i got for free from a bag of dog biscuits. Folding, stainless blade, wood/brass handle. It can keep an edge, is fairly sturdy, and fits my hand like a dream. My advice is to go into a store and hold a lot of different knives, maybe even see if you could cut something (a box or stick).

Lube in the vegetable isle 2: Bring a pork joint or other thick piece of meat. Ask the cashier if you can "See how it sticks things" before you buy it.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
Alpha Omicron wrote:

You can do some crazy things to someone's facea goddamn city with a box-cutter.

fix'd. Check out Nevada-tan.

Fix'd games are fun. Check out the WTC.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Screw that recon knife. Get a Benchmade. Specifically:

http://benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=553

Alternatively, get an Emerson CQC 7. Emerson Knives are favorites among spec-ops and other tactical style teams.

http://www.emersonknives.com/Tact_index.html
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

sethicus wrote:Screw that recon knife. Get a Benchmade. Specifically:

http://benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=553

Alternatively, get an Emerson CQC 7. Emerson Knives are favorites among spec-ops and other tactical style teams.

http://www.emersonknives.com/Tact_index.html

I'm not sure how many Special Forces teams you know, but the Recon 1 was first recommended to me by an Air Force TAC P who was teaching my combat skill class.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:09 am UTC

WraithXt1 wrote:I'm not sure how many Special Forces teams you know, but the Recon 1 was first recommended to me by an Air Force TAC P who was teaching my combat skill class.

Whole teams, not many. Individual members of various spec ops groups, I know quite a few. more of them swear by emerson knives than not. I'm not trying to imply that every single spec ops guy uses an emerson, but they're popular with the ones I've met.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:13 am UTC

If you're going by that criteria just get a KA-BAR, it's what the Marines use, and they'd whip anyone else in a fight any day.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:20 am UTC

sethicus wrote:
WraithXt1 wrote:I'm not sure how many Special Forces teams you know, but the Recon 1 was first recommended to me by an Air Force TAC P who was teaching my combat skill class.

Whole teams, not many. Individual members of various spec ops groups, I know quite a few. more of them swear by emerson knives than not. I'm not trying to imply that every single spec ops guy uses an emerson, but they're popular with the ones I've met.

You usually cant go wrong with multiple recommendations from combat forces! I wish I rememerd what the fixed blade knife the TAC P guy was telling me to use on a Molle vest in case someone tries to grab your weapons barrel when you go through a door.

It was a really nice knife, light as a feather and razor sharp.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:18 am UTC

For the record, I made a mistake writing out that blade length. See, the ruler before me is in centimetres, and somehow I converted 20cm into 10". I meant 8", maybe 7". And I think you guys have dissuaded me from using it for self-defense now, but I still need a good camping knife.

Alpha Omicron wrote:

Yeah, at work I carry one that's basically a folding knife, except instead of a blade it's a piece of metal that holds a box cutter blade. It could definitely do some damage if wielded by a crazy person.

I did go to the camping store today, and they had several Benchmade knives for between $80 and $150. Not sure how good of a deal that is, but they looked and felt pretty nice. Thursday I'm heading to the surplus store, and this knife store which is apparently in a mall nearby, for some comparing. (I feel very suspicious though, I mean, I'm a teenager walking into the store with a near-empty backpack... That's why I usually carry my bike helmet around with me, to justify having a bag, and try to act extra nice.)

Another thing I was wondering was what a tanto tip is designed for in comparison to a spear-point or clip-point. I hadn't seen them until I delved into the world of knife purchasing, and I'm not sure what it's good for.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:23 am UTC

It's a much more durable point, to resist cracking if you put force on it. The final selling point for me on my Recon 1 tanto was watching a review of it vs other knives being stabbed through a junk cars door. Other bladed cracked, chipped, or just broke while the tanto recon 1 just lost some paint!

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:31 am UTC

WraithXt1 wrote:
sethicus wrote:

You usually cant go wrong with multiple recommendations from combat forces! I wish I rememerd what the fixed blade knife the TAC P guy was telling me to use on a Molle vest in case someone tries to grab your weapons barrel when you go through a door.

It was a really nice knife, light as a feather and razor sharp.

check this out. maybe this was it:

http://www.emersonknives.com/videos/Shoulder_Rig.mpg

It uses any of the emerson knives with the wave feature.

they also have a bunch of fixed blades...the cqc12 for example. I should note that I do not own an emerson knife, as they're pretty pricey, but I do love my benchmade.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:25 pm UTC

If you're buying a blade you want to look for the following points:
Don't buy Stainless steel if you plan on using your knife for activities that involve leverage (splitting wood etc) as the chromium content makes them brittle.
Buy Steel with a carbon content of 45 to 90. This will be shown as "1045" (10xx meaning iron and the other numbers; 45, 50, 60, 90 [common amounts] signifying the amount of carbon in the steel). Higher carbon reduces flexibility but increases the lifetime of the sharpness of the blade (and vice-versa). A 1045 blade will be much more forgiving when used but may need sharpening a little more often.
Make sure the blade has a Full or 3/4 Tang.
Buy a "Through-Hardened" (TH) blade. This is where the blade is hardened and tempered evenly along its length and width.
And as other people have said try the knife out before you use it, See if you like the grip/balance/shape of the blade.

A note about self-defense:
Don't bother with a knife for self-defense - use a screwdriver.
Screwdrivers are less likely to snap, more easily concealable, less dangerous for you and a lot easier to explain away carrying it than a knife. They're also a lot easier to stab with as they have less surface area.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

Well, I went to the aptly named House of Knives at the mall today, and discovered that you have to be 18 not only to purchase a knife, but even for them to let you hold one in the store. So all I could do was look. They had some Ka-Bar knives (which I've also heard good things about), but none like I wanted. The ones they had in the style I wanted were all CRKT, and my favourite was the M16-12 pictured here, though I think the model in the store was slightly different. The thing is, it's $100 at their store, but that website says it's $80. I forgot to write down the model name at the store though and am only going by visual, so it could be a different model.

So yeah, I can basically either wait 6 months and come back and actually be able to hold one, or I can get my dad to try one because he has similar hands to me, or I could just buy one. I'm torn. I mean, I could get a Recon 1 from an Ebay store for $80 including shipping, but then I haven't tried it first...

Suggestions mb?

Edit: did some researching on the AUS8 alloy used for the Recon 1, apparently people say the edge retention isn't so great on it (it's a stainless steel), but the exception seems to be the CS Recon knives. I'm seeing some conflicting info though, because CRKT's site says that AUS8 is .70 to .75 carbon, which is supposed to be good for holding an edge is it not?
Last edited by Rippy on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:59 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

wst

Postby wst » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

ishikiri wrote:Make sure the blade has a Full or 3/4 Tang.

Doesn't really apply to floding knives.
Ray Mears didn't like the choices he had for knives for use up the jungle so he designed his own. Not a folding one (hinges are the weakest part when force is applied slightly wrong). They look like pretty decent kinves tbh.
(Want a knife for indimidating would-be attackers?... This)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:42 am UTC

The only knife you need. I carry mine everywhere.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/6d98/

And to those mentioning getting into a knife fight, I agree that it is a good idea not to. However, for those of us who have gotten major slashes we will tell you that being slashed with a sharp knife is not painful, and not all stabs hurt either. The only way you are going to deter someone is to stab them somewhere vital or sensitive, like the ribs. I'd be willing to bet that most people aren't ready to do that when it comes down to it. Shooting someone would be much easier for most I think, stabbing seems much more visceral.

If you want self defense, carry a bat or pepper spray. Forget knives and guns for the most part. If you are going to get a knife, get one as a tool you can use around the house or elsewhere (like my utili-key). Not for something to shank someone with should the opportunity arise.

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:27 am UTC

Obligatory "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" quote:
"Guns for show, knives for a pro" spiel (from about 1:00 to 1:36)
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:06 pm UTC

wst wrote:
ishikiri wrote:Make sure the blade has a Full or 3/4 Tang.

Doesn't really apply to floding knives.
Ray Mears didn't like the choices he had for knives for use up the jungle so he designed his own. Not a folding one (hinges are the weakest part when force is applied slightly wrong). They look like pretty decent kinves tbh.
(Want a knife for indimidating would-be attackers?... This)

I have the link for that knife in my favorites :D :D :D
I meant to post it when I got home (I do most surfing at work) but I forgot. Ooh I just got my love-letter from the tax-office so now I can actually buy it! Wait do you mean the Same one where you have to build your own handle?
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

Ryom wrote:The only knife you need. I carry mine everywhere.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/6d98/

The utili-key is the single most useful tool i've ever owned, I'm never without it and rarely does a day go by that I don't use it.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Return to “General”