Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pearsquisher
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Pearsquisher » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:43 am UTC

I did a quick search, and only found topics specifically about social anxiety. I am interested in all varieties of anxiety, large and small.

I have dissociative disorder, but a mild case of it (well, mild compared to the extreme cases I have heard of, at least). The main symptoms are depersonalization (out of body experiences), derealization (doubting that anything is really what it seems... I'll elaborate later), and dissociative amnesia (amnesia that is not caused by physical trauma to the brain). Fortunately I have never experienced the latter.

Extreme cased of derealization lead people to cut open their own arms to make sure they actually have bones. I have never done this, but I discovered I had this at a time when my bedroom floor was covered in rabbit bones. I have also had a number of panic attacks, where I thought people were hand puppets made of foam all the way through. If anyone has seen that Calvin and Hobbes where he thinks that his mom is a hand-puppet trying to feed him breakfast, that is pretty much it.

I used to have out of body experiences, but I haven’t in a while (yay!). They mostly consisted of tunnel vision, and feeling like a chipmunk living in a cavity in my skull, and peering out the view-ports that are my eyes. But as I said, this is over.

Other random symptoms that I have received:

I used to go blind and lose consciousness during sex-ed.
I get 'digestive troubles' when I am in a new situation (first day of school... that type of thing).
I sometimes lose my appetite when eating with people I am not used to eating with, and am forced to take progressively smaller and smaller bites, or else I will gag on what is usually a normal sized mouthful.
I recently got scabs under my eye and over my lip when I was in Germany. No amount of moisturizer would make it better. They instantly healed when I got back home (7 weeks later).
I get the shakes in dance situations, and stand around socializing with drink in hand situations.

That said, this isn't interfering with my grades or social life, so it isn't that much of a problem. It is just unpleasant, and I find it interesting how it has become such an assumed part of my life. If I'm reading a book and part makes me want to pass out, I just take a break, and continue later. If people ask me why I'm taking such small bites, I just say I have anxiety problems. I used to get made fun of a lot for it (passing out during sex-ed was horrible, because everyone laughed (except for the teacher, who did/said nothing)), however, now only the occational person will give me a hard-time, and they look like an isolated jerk.

So I'm curious, what other anxious people are out there. What symptons do you get? Let's make a list of the strangest things to be caused by anxiety. (ex: I once new someone who got hives from a fear of cancer, when he got after he found a black spot on the inside of his lip, which was only there because he bit it once. Who know anxiety could cause hives).

User avatar
Bulvox
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:37 pm UTC
Location: Not Bunny
Contact:

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Bulvox » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:49 am UTC

i myself get a sick feeling in my stomach and lose my appetite, which if you know me, is a very serious thing. this happens in new social situations. my fight or flight also kicks in, usually set to flight.
Image
See Ya Space Cowboy...

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:17 am UTC

When I get really stressed out I wish I was a cutter, but I fear infection, I don't like pain, I don't want scars, and I don't want the stigma of being a cutter...heh...stigmata.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

User avatar
DJorgensen
Posts: 1503
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:24 pm UTC
Location: A small reality, fractured from this one.
Contact:

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby DJorgensen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:53 am UTC

Well, I have been diagnosed with gender identity disorder.
I wouldn't even know where to begin with anxiety issues that I have had. It's just a part of my life and something that I have had to work with as it does not seem to entirely go away.
In the past year its been mostly maintained, but I still have days where I am utterly useless lying on the floor holding my stomach from the pain while feeling doomed and completely empty inside.

Sadly although I knew that I had GID, I didn't realize that I was suffering from anxiety attacks for the longest time until someone else told me that they had them and what their symptoms were. While I did understand that I was depressed and tended to hurt myself (physically, emotionally, etc) I blamed the cause of my feeling ill was just due to a poor lifestyle and eating habits...

Anyway, I lost the ability to stay in university, keep jobs, keep friends and partners, and nearly failed to keep myself alive at times due to my mental state. I cannot blame this solely on anxiety at there were many other thoughts and things at work. I dissociate from reality from time to time, and it often messes me up a little (trying to figure out if things are indeed really real....). I do not think that dissociation is a bad thing in moderation though - its healthy to question everything as it justifies why things are the way that they are (and makes for really intriguing dreams and solutions to problems). Taking your life to see if you are real on the other hand was just not something I ever convinced myself was a good plan - even if the thought came across my mind. Another interesting thing I've learned is that testosterone makes me bipolar as I was rather manic depressive prior to any treatment (which really made it impossible for my girlfriend to keep me happy). I would flip flop at anything over the course of hours and had a horrible temper that even landed me in the hospital with my girlfriend when I rolled my car. Due to the nature of GID, I've also found that I have bouts of agoraphobia where I would simply just shut myself in and play guitar or draw for days on end (and thus lose jobs because of the fear of actually attending). I also learned at a young age that alcohol is simply bad for me as it is too easy for me to use it as a crutch for an easy way out (as are all possible drug addictions). I managed to all of quit drinking at the age of 16 after nearly killing myself in a bad drinking episode....

Anyway, dwelling on it doesn't really do anything to help me move forward now does it. I love life and I love the life I have (like no other life of course). I know what I need and I know how to get it, and apparently I am good at getting things done and making others listen to my needs. Things are well with me. It could always be better, but it could always be far worse. :P
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

User avatar
Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon
Posts: 2300
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:30 pm UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Meowgan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:54 am UTC

I mentally solve Rubik's cubes when I'm stressed. Like, solve one in my head. And my hands move as if I'm solving one.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

User avatar
Lutetium
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:19 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Lutetium » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:45 am UTC

I have been to psychiatrist and counsellors many times - none of them thought I had a problem, but I secretly think I do. I'm at the very least, a bit borderline.

In normal situations where there's people around and I'm alone. I will retreat to a un-noticed corner with a dry mouth, unsettled tummy, sweaty palms and light-headed-ness.

When I get put on the spot, (i.e. speeches), I twitch and shake, usually my facial muscles will start off doing funny dances and then I'll fiddle with things to hide the fact my hands are shaking like crazy.
Last edited by Lutetium on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I haz awesome procrastination skills, let me show you them .... laterz.

User avatar
niko7865
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:47 am UTC
Location: All over washington state, USA
Contact:

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby niko7865 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

I have trouble sleeping and about once a every two weeks I sleep through my alarm. I wake up late for work and am so nervous about going in late that I will skip that day, then tomorrow I will be so nervous about skipping the day before that I will skip that day. It's a vicious cycle and I have no idea why I haven't been fired. During the school year this same situation has happened with classes, I've dropped quite a few classes just because I was too nervous to go back/talk to the professor. Actually I've used up all my drops (we only get 4) and last semester I got a 0 in one class because I couldn't bring myself to attend/ask for help after missing a few days.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???
Image

Pearsquisher
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Pearsquisher » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:28 am UTC

DJorgensen wrote:Well, I have been diagnosed with gender identity disorder.
I wouldn't even know where to begin with anxiety issues that I have had. It's just a part of my life and something that I have had to work with as it does not seem to entirely go away.
In the past year its been mostly maintained, but I still have days where I am utterly useless lying on the floor holding my stomach from the pain while feeling doomed and completely empty inside.

Sadly although I knew that I had GID, I didn't realize that I was suffering from anxiety attacks for the longest time until someone else told me that they had them and what their symptoms were. While I did understand that I was depressed and tended to hurt myself (physically, emotionally, etc) I blamed the cause of my feeling ill was just due to a poor lifestyle and eating habits...

Anyway, I lost the ability to stay in university, keep jobs, keep friends and partners, and nearly failed to keep myself alive at times due to my mental state. I cannot blame this solely on anxiety at there were many other thoughts and things at work. I dissociate from reality from time to time, and it often messes me up a little (trying to figure out if things are indeed really real....). I do not think that dissociation is a bad thing in moderation though - its healthy to question everything as it justifies why things are the way that they are (and makes for really intriguing dreams and solutions to problems). Taking your life to see if you are real on the other hand was just not something I ever convinced myself was a good plan - even if the thought came across my mind. Another interesting thing I've learned is that testosterone makes me bipolar as I was rather manic depressive prior to any treatment (which really made it impossible for my girlfriend to keep me happy). I would flip flop at anything over the course of hours and had a horrible temper that even landed me in the hospital with my girlfriend when I rolled my car. Due to the nature of GID, I've also found that I have bouts of agoraphobia where I would simply just shut myself in and play guitar or draw for days on end (and thus lose jobs because of the fear of actually attending). I also learned at a young age that alcohol is simply bad for me as it is too easy for me to use it as a crutch for an easy way out (as are all possible drug addictions). I managed to all of quit drinking at the age of 16 after nearly killing myself in a bad drinking episode....

Anyway, dwelling on it doesn't really do anything to help me move forward now does it. I love life and I love the life I have (like no other life of course). I know what I need and I know how to get it, and apparently I am good at getting things done and making others listen to my needs. Things are well with me. It could always be better, but it could always be far worse. :P


Wow, you have it rough. With it affecting your school/werk/social life, I'm amazed that you can stay so positive about it. The fact that it isn't crippling me in those areas is what makes me so positive about my anxiety. However, I suppose that, since I feel like there are up-sides that go with the down-sides of my disorder (for instance, I find it easy to empathize with shy people, and my obsession with bones makes leads me into many interesting conversations), it is possible that you have MORE up-sides to go with your down-sides.]

niko7865 wrote:I have trouble sleeping and about once a every two weeks I sleep through my alarm. I wake up late for work and am so nervous about going in late that I will skip that day, then tomorrow I will be so nervous about skipping the day before that I will skip that day. It's a vicious cycle and I have no idea why I haven't been fired. During the school year this same situation has happened with classes, I've dropped quite a few classes just because I was too nervous to go back/talk to the professor. Actually I've used up all my drops (we only get 4) and last semester I got a 0 in one class because I couldn't bring myself to attend/ask for help after missing a few days.


I had insomnia for a week after I got a girlfriend. It was really weird. I played loud music during the day, in an attempt to make me sleepier at night. It didn't werk. But the combination of sleep deprivation and loud music made me forget what I was listening to, and when you're listening to E.M.R. by Plaid, and you forget that it is supposed to be music... life can get a little freaky.

User avatar
DJorgensen
Posts: 1503
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:24 pm UTC
Location: A small reality, fractured from this one.
Contact:

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby DJorgensen » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:51 am UTC

I dunno - all that I have learned and relearned and figured out... I mean this is what life is to me. I am here to learn and to experience. I never ceased doing this even when I was incredibly unhappy and stuck with how things were. For that I am grateful.

I would never say that I had it rough though. The environment in which I was raised was really good I feel. Not that I had a rich family and everything I could ever want, but we were never hungry.

My matters were all just a part of who I am, and something for me to work out and deal with on my own terms. Sure completing university would have been awesome, and yet I highly doubt that I would be making as much as I currently am had I continued, nor would I have as little debt. Difficulty with work, is two part - if I enjoy my job and my coworkers then there is a greater chance that I will be comfortable and happy and able to work accordingly. Social life.... well that's always being worked on, but is low on my list of priorities as there are too many bad people to deal with in the real world.

Anyway as an upside, its been stated that transfolk are wired in a much different manner as they have the brain of one sex and the body of the other sex. Because I have encountered so many problems and pondered so many things, I have incredible problem solving skills and am able to make plans that work great. I am drawn to computers and art because they often present challenges that are very thought provoking and are open to interpretation for their solution. Nearly any task that is thrown at me I find that I can study and complete (even if I use a very strange method), and I always tend to amaze others with the things I am able to do.

Also I find that being a little crazy draws others who are a little crazy to me. I like people that are a little crazy honestly. We have more in common and more to talk about and more understanding for one another. Its very great and I love coming to figure things out more.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Jessica » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

I generally only get social anxiety/phobias, and they're not that bad. You know, rapid breathing, shakes, sweating. The normal fare.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
the_stabbage
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby the_stabbage » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

I haven't been diagnosed because nothing really serious has happened to me in terms of anxiety. I often get the upset stomach/runs/lack of appetite thing before a new situation. I've had panic attacks before, about three times, but I think they were linked to marijuana use. Two of the anxiety attacks were a day or two after smoking a whole lotta weed, and they were around the time I quit my last job.

I am really fascinated with mental disorders in general for some reason. People close to me have had disorders, but I haven't met anyone who is schizophrenic or psychotic or anything really grave, although I imagine they wouldn't be too open about it.

Megatriorchis
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:41 am UTC
Location: Hothlanta

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Megatriorchis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:27 am UTC

I show symptoms of bipolar disorder. It runs in the family and my sister was diagnosed with bipolar II. But we can't afford treatment, so there's really no point in going to a psychiatrist. My mom has bipolar II, I think. She's taken different meds for it, but it made her even worse because of her diabetes. Her oldest brother also had it. He went through therapy, but it didn't do much good.

I experience insomnia, fatigue, impulsiveness, paranoia, and pressured speech. I get nervous for no reason, even when I'm alone. There was a time in my life a couple years ago when I was terribly depressed for no reason at all.

I was thought to have it when I was younger because I stuttered to a point where I couldn't get a word out and was always nervous. My teachers took this as just a learning disability and put me in speech therapy classes. It worked pretty well. I still stutter and get words mixed up, but not as much.

There's really not much I can do about this right now. Money is tight and we can't afford treatment.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Lt Greatsocks
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:55 am UTC
Location: Tampa, Florida

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

I've always has awful nerves. The first week of school I felt horribly sick in my stomach. Also, I think I had minor dissociative disorder. Some days I would be walking down the hall and nothing would feel real at all. It was kinda weird, but not a problem by any means.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Pearsquisher
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Pearsquisher » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:I show symptoms of bipolar disorder. It runs in the family and my sister was diagnosed with bipolar II. But we can't afford treatment, so there's really no point in going to a psychiatrist. My mom has bipolar II, I think. She's taken different meds for it, but it made her even worse because of her diabetes. Her oldest brother also had it. He went through therapy, but it didn't do much good.

I experience insomnia, fatigue, impulsiveness, paranoia, and pressured speech. I get nervous for no reason, even when I'm alone. There was a time in my life a couple years ago when I was terribly depressed for no reason at all.

I was thought to have it when I was younger because I stuttered to a point where I couldn't get a word out and was always nervous. My teachers took this as just a learning disability and put me in speech therapy classes. It worked pretty well. I still stutter and get words mixed up, but not as much.

There's really not much I can do about this right now. Money is tight and we can't afford treatment.


That's rough. Living in Ontario, I got free psychiatric help, and free meds (except for the handling charge, which was covered by family health insurance). I know what you mean about depression for no reason. I used to lie on my bed in my underwear listening to Mira Calix for hours, because I didn't feel like I could get up. But, in terms of medication, you're not necessarily missing out. Anti-depressants didn't werk for me. They only made me sleepier.

Re: getting werds mixed up. When I am writing stuff out by hand, I will occasionally write the second letter of a werd first, and then write the first letter in front of it. This happens, on average, once a line. I don't know if it is normal or abnormal. It obviously isn't debilitating in any way, but it is a little confusing.

Lt Greatsocks wrote:I've always has awful nerves. The first week of school I felt horribly sick in my stomach. Also, I think I had minor dissociative disorder. Some days I would be walking down the hall and nothing would feel real at all. It was kinda weird, but not a problem by any means.


I threw up on the first day of grade 8 :P. Speaking as someone with dissociative disorder, I get the impression it is a very shades of kind of thing, not an off or on kind of thing. As I've said, mine used to be worst, but it's been barely noticeable lately. Sometimes in comes in handy, because it is easier to put up with discomforting things, like really hot humid weather. While other people complain about it, and just feel like it isn't me that is too hot, it's just my body, so what difference does it make? Another odd thing that I noticed is I could never stand playing 1st person computer games. I could only ever play 3rd person computer games (past tense, because I don't play them anymore). It made me panic, not being able to see my character's full body and how it alligned with everything else in the game. I'm the only person I know who cannot play 1st person, and I feel like it is linked with depersonalization. Are you like that at all?

Account20151023
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Account20151023 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

I have no phobias, allergies, anxieties, or even fear anything.

But Jesus Christmas Dammit, do I hate cops and security cameras. I hate shopping in places with them if I don't know who owns the place and is watching. And as for cops, I feel like every single cop is out there to arbitrarily enforce the law and limit what we can do. I see them as faceless, police-state enforcers. When I see them parked by the road as speed traps, I see them as barracuda. I know none of this is true. No one watches the cameras at Wal-Mart, and cops all have families. But I still hate them.

By the way, did you know you get filmed an average of 7 times a day?

User avatar
DJorgensen
Posts: 1503
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:24 pm UTC
Location: A small reality, fractured from this one.
Contact:

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby DJorgensen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:24 am UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:I was thought to have it when I was younger because I stuttered to a point where I couldn't get a word out and was always nervous. My teachers took this as just a learning disability and put me in speech therapy classes. It worked pretty well. I still stutter and get words mixed up, but not as much.

Hmm I often find that I jumble my words up too. I always related it to not having a clear mind and over thinking my word choice. Or rather it happens most often in situations where I just puke words out without planning what I was getting at.

As for 3rd person video games, I've always enjoyed them more as being an omnipotent god is more fun than and FPS. That's really neato though - never thought of it lol :D
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

User avatar
Nomic
Posts: 554
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:29 pm UTC
Location: Gibbering in the corner

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Nomic » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:07 am UTC

When I get nervous or exited I usually start stuttering, especially if I have to say a word with three similar sounding syllables in a row. I also tend to forget words (usually nouns) and eighter have to spend time figuring out what exectly I wan to say or just say something generic like "box" or "blob". I also can't start conversations with strangers, especially women. Even if I would want to, my brain has some kind of built-in safey system that prevents me from doing so. I can however start conversations with people who I know have something in common with me, which leads to my few friends thinking that I'm a very open, talkative guy, while the rest of the world sees me as introverted and vaquely creepy.
Also, I have the phone number of The Cute Girl, but I try to call her maybe once every two monhs, after first spending days gathering courage, planning what I say and making sure nobody else is around incase someody overhears the conversation. And despite that She's probably the only girl I've truly could say I've loved, I've never been able to tell Her.

Lt Greatsocks
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:55 am UTC
Location: Tampa, Florida

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:14 am UTC

Pearsquisher wrote:
Megatriorchis wrote:I show symptoms of bipolar disorder. It runs in the family and my sister was diagnosed with bipolar II. But we can't afford treatment, so there's really no point in going to a psychiatrist. My mom has bipolar II, I think. She's taken different meds for it, but it made her even worse because of her diabetes. Her oldest brother also had it. He went through therapy, but it didn't do much good.

I experience insomnia, fatigue, impulsiveness, paranoia, and pressured speech. I get nervous for no reason, even when I'm alone. There was a time in my life a couple years ago when I was terribly depressed for no reason at all.

I was thought to have it when I was younger because I stuttered to a point where I couldn't get a word out and was always nervous. My teachers took this as just a learning disability and put me in speech therapy classes. It worked pretty well. I still stutter and get words mixed up, but not as much.

There's really not much I can do about this right now. Money is tight and we can't afford treatment.


That's rough. Living in Ontario, I got free psychiatric help, and free meds (except for the handling charge, which was covered by family health insurance). I know what you mean about depression for no reason. I used to lie on my bed in my underwear listening to Mira Calix for hours, because I didn't feel like I could get up. But, in terms of medication, you're not necessarily missing out. Anti-depressants didn't werk for me. They only made me sleepier.

Re: getting werds mixed up. When I am writing stuff out by hand, I will occasionally write the second letter of a werd first, and then write the first letter in front of it. This happens, on average, once a line. I don't know if it is normal or abnormal. It obviously isn't debilitating in any way, but it is a little confusing.

Lt Greatsocks wrote:I've always has awful nerves. The first week of school I felt horribly sick in my stomach. Also, I think I had minor dissociative disorder. Some days I would be walking down the hall and nothing would feel real at all. It was kinda weird, but not a problem by any means.


I threw up on the first day of grade 8 :P. Speaking as someone with dissociative disorder, I get the impression it is a very shades of kind of thing, not an off or on kind of thing. As I've said, mine used to be worst, but it's been barely noticeable lately. Sometimes in comes in handy, because it is easier to put up with discomforting things, like really hot humid weather. While other people complain about it, and just feel like it isn't me that is too hot, it's just my body, so what difference does it make? Another odd thing that I noticed is I could never stand playing 1st person computer games. I could only ever play 3rd person computer games (past tense, because I don't play them anymore). It made me panic, not being able to see my character's full body and how it alligned with everything else in the game. I'm the only person I know who cannot play 1st person, and I feel like it is linked with depersonalization. Are you like that at all?



What is dissociative disorder like when it's really bad? When I experienced what I think was very mild dissociative disorder I was taking minocycline. I read on wikipedia at one point that minocycline can cause dissociative disorder but I haven't seen anything to that effect anywhere else so I'm undecided about that.

I recently had a mild bout of depression. Very mild. For a day I felt bored by everything and I didn't want to do anything. It sucked, but it went away fast. I never feel that war so I'm pretty sure it's cause i'm on Isotretinoin aka acutane.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

ronnie
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:08 pm UTC

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby ronnie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:By the way, did you know you get filmed an average of 7 times a day?


In the UK, unless you are a hermit or something, the figure is much larger than that. Once while waiting to meet someone, I counted the cameras through boredom, there were 13 cameras pointed directly at me, and many others that I wasn't bored enough to count. If you walked from one end of a high street to another you would be filmed hundreds of times. As I have never enjoyed having even still photos taken of me, I must be in the wrong country :P

I hate public speaking, last time I had to make a presentation, I froze up half way through, I personally don't think it was for that long, but the next person was called up to start theirs before I had a chance to finish. Also, it is difficult to speak clearly when you can hear your pulse louder than most other sounds and your mouth has decided that producing saliva is completely unnecessary. I have improved though, I used to stutter loads in that sort of situation, now I only stutter when I am being assessed, etc

peter
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby peter » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

I used to have anxiety when I had presentations in school. I could get the words out, and my body didn't shake or anything, but at the beginning my voice was a little shaky. But after about 15 seconds, I would get into it and that would go away. It was nothing to get diagnosed or worry about, but I always felt bad when we would be assigned presentations, because it seemed no one else had this problem.

Furkins
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Furkins » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:21 pm UTC

Oh, are we discussing mental problems? Very nice...
Don't really have a social phobia (although I do hate to be the center of attention. Situations where more than 5 people are looking at me and listening to me make me very nervous and I shut up very quickly. Probably the reason why I always got very bad participation grades in school).

Other than that, I've been a self mutilator for... well... all my life. Although now I've turned to excessive working out as an outlet and not cutting/burning/biting and so on. It's much prettier and socially accepted. yeey. (for all you emo haters. No. I'm not an emo. I don't scratch my arm with a bobby pin and go running to my friends to show them how cool I am. I hate myself for doing it. Because, you know, it sucks to run around in long sleeves when its 30°C outside.)
Oh, and the first time I've wanted to kill myself was in 3rd grade.

I've had a few panic attacks and dissociations. They suck. I always lock the door of my room when I'm in it because I would wake up at night and think that somebody is there or when I'm just sitting in my room I would think somebody is behind me.

I should be locked up. Oh wait! That's already happened!

User avatar
Vandole
Posts: 845
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:04 am UTC
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Vandole » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:32 am UTC

I sweat a lot in social situations I find awkward. It's gross and I hate it. I also have panic attacks when I'm about to move into a totally new environment. They usually end with me rocking back and forth in a corner.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

User avatar
Probably Human
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:12 pm UTC
Location: WAY too close to raptors

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Probably Human » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:49 am UTC

I'm lucky, I only suffer from the "normal" social anxiety symptoms. However, I can't stand eating noises. I can't eat with other people (unless someone is talking) because I can hear them chewing, and swallowing, and digesting. Well, maybe not digesting.
Maybe if my signature is witty enough someone will finally love me.

darren
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby darren » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:03 am UTC

Wow, after reading this thread, I've never felt so normal in my life

User avatar
Mercurius
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:54 pm UTC
Location: Dorset
Contact:

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Mercurius » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

I'm not sure if this counts, but I did go through a period, about a year and a half or so ago, of feeling incredibly paranoid and worried, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I wasn't incredibly stressed (I was at Uni, in my second last year, but the workload was normal), I wasn't taking drugs, my relationships with my friends and girlfriend of the time were fine, I hadn't even upset anybody too much. Yet I'd be doing something ordinary, like washing the dishes or making myself a coffee, or even just reading in bed, when I'd be struck with an incredible sense of fear. Or I'd be walking down an empty corridor and suddenly I'd feel like I was being watched. Things like that.

The feelings only persisted for like half an hour or so, at worst, and then I'd feel normal again. I couldn't figure out any trigger event or anything for this happening. It was very strange, and quite worrying in and of itself. But it just....stopped happening after a while. Either I learnt to cope with it (seems unlikely), the trigger for those feelings vanished (possible but again, how would I know) or something else entirely happened. But it was kind of like the panic attacks Furkins described, only I never had them before, and never since.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

User avatar
tiny
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:34 pm UTC
Location: Below the fifth cellar.
Contact:

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby tiny » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

I used to be terribly afraid of the dark. It's better now, but sometimes I still get paranoid.
There aren't many symptoms (rapid heart beat, flight instinct shouting at me), I'm just scared shitless that something evil might appear behind me or in my mirror. To fight it I try to form the image of whatever I fear coming into something nice. I usually helps.

As for my enochlophobia, it's mild atm, too. Worst ever were two panic attacks, and symptoms of my usual fear level are restless feet and hands, the urge to flee, a cramped, cowering pose and a feeling like I'm going to be mauled to death by those people who are really mindless zombies.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

User avatar
Decker
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:22 pm UTC
Location: Western N.Y.

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby Decker » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

I have a hard time pinning down if i have any legitimate disorders or if I'm overthinking myself.

I don't like crowds, and I tend to avoid parties or social gatherings. If i do have to attend one, I confine myself to one or two people. I don't like publics speaking, and when I have to my voice changes pitch and volume and I say "um" alot, though I notice a lot of people do the "um" thing.

If someone I don't know at all comes up and tries to start a conversation with me, I get nervous and distance myself, or I give short answers to the questions they ask me. This can offend some people.

I'm very overly conscious about what other people think about me, to the point where I ask someone how they are or if I'm annoying them a strangely large amount of time.

When I listen to music, I listen to the same album or the same couple of songs over and over for, sometimes, months at a time. I then loose interest and move on to the next thing. This happens with video games and other activities too. The point is I will do one thing and exclude all other things for a while, and then do one different thing.

For a while I've suspected that I'm very, very mildly dyslexic, as I sometimes transpose letters in words when I read or write. Also, when I type, I sometimes type a similarly spelled word with a completely different meaning. ("Guest instead of "Guess"). I might just not be paying enough attention.

Maybe I'm just strange.

Edit:
The self consciousness gets to the point where I'm afraid people will think I'm following them when I'm simply going in the same direction, and that someone will think I'm breaking in to a room when I have keys and a legitimate reason to be there.

I also hate, hate, hate people telling me to do something that I was about to do anyway.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

User avatar
FrailAndBedazzled
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:27 pm UTC
Location: Boston or NYC depending on the day
Contact:

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby FrailAndBedazzled » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:00 am UTC

Well now!

Most of these have actually cleared up thanks to a variety of things. However, my anxiety includes:
MILD:
Believing that everyone, from friends so close that they're near-family to people I've never met, hates me and wants me to just go away.
Belief that everything I could possibly do is going to fail miserably.
Belief that all positive feedback is a lie to protect my feelings.
Severe shoulder pain.
MEDIUM:
Inability to leave my bed.
Still being able to hear and comprehend the world around me but just not being able to respond.
Lower back pain.
SOUTHERN SPICY BARBEQUE (typically appears when in contact with phobias):
Uncontrollable sobbing.
Self-inflicted violence.
Leaving. One of the last really bad anxiety attacks I had ended up with me holding a bus ticket home in NY Port Authority. I had made phone calls to my house and to a couple friends and everything. And had apparently also sent picture messages of the fish tanks they'd installed in the Staten Island Ferry terminal...
Make a whole new religion
A falling star that you cannot live without
And I'll feed your obsession
There is nothing but this thing that you'll never doubt

User avatar
RikaLovesDie
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

Re: Post your Anxiety Symptoms!

Postby RikaLovesDie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:10 am UTC

I've been treated for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, although I never agreed with the treatment I was given. I was prescribed Prozac, regardless of the fact that I expressed my concern at taking an anti-depressant when I showed no signs of depression. A few weeks later the drug had made me depressed, so I requested a different treatment. I was then put on Paxil, which reacted like a sugar pill for me, so I went back to the doctors and told them that I didn't want drugs and that I preferred to regulate my stress through therapy. I've been going to therapy ever since and have been doing better through a combination of venting to my therapist and removing as much caffeine from my diet as I can physically tolerate. The exclusion of caffeine seems to have helped the most, so I now avoid caffeine completely, or at least limit myself to one Diet Coke a day that must be consumed at least 6 hours before I go to bed.

I've experienced several panic attacks in my lifetime, although I wouldn't say that I get them regularly. Part of the reason I was diagnosed with GAD was due to the fact that my panic attacks were rarely tied to a specific event. The first one I experienced was while I was taking a shower. There were no events leading up to it. I just started getting shortness of breath and numbness in my arms and legs. I ended up sitting down with my head between my legs and using some of my old choir breathing exercises to regulate my breathing until it passed.

I had another panic attack a few nights ago after a fairly good spell without them. I still think that one in particular was due to having a Diet Coke at dinner, so the caffeine in my system triggered it. None of that has been proven by a doctor though.

As far as phobias are concerned, I do have a highly irrational fear of the dark. I was unable to turn off my own bedroom light at night until I was about 16 years old, and even now it causes me immense stress to be alone in the dark. I haven't discussed this specifically with my therapist, so it's not really a diagnosed phobia, but I'd say it's detrimental enough to my quality of life that I certainly wouldn't discount it.
Oh me yarm PURPLE! <--Approved by Hammer


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests