Themed Parties

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

drock

Themed Parties

Postby drock » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

So I'm going to a "P" party tonight in which everyone has to dress up as something starting with the letter "P". I'm thinking about going as professor palindrome and make all my clothes out of paper.

ANYWAY

Parties I've been to:
Medieval
RuvCack (friends invention: everyone wears flannel)
Black & White (duh)
General Halloween
Cowboys and Indians

So, what weird themed parties have you been to? (ideas for parties are cool too)
"Hey, they're trying to learn for free! Get em!" - Simpsons

telcontar42

Re: Themed Parties

Postby telcontar42 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

A friend of mine had a Where the Wild Things Are party. Everyone dressed up as monsters or the boy in the pajamas and he put a bunch of tree branches and leaves all over his apartment so the place looked like a jungle. It was pretty cool.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

A few years back, I did go to a toga party, which I know is fairly boring. What wasn't boring was that somebody had made themselves a Roswell toga out of black fabric with a silvery fluorescent handprint on it.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

drock

Postby drock » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

Oh me yarm that's amazing! I didn't think of childrens books yet. Though I don't think a Cloudy with a chance of meatballs party would work out so well. =T

drock

Postby drock » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

Hmm...never really been to a toga party before. I assume that that's more of a frat guy thing unless we're spouting the aenied and talking about how bad our latin teacher was heh.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

The best one I've been to was a Rocky Horror Picture Show themed party, where we all dressed up then watched the film (complete with rice etc. :lol: ) The only thing was some of the girls that were invited objected to wearing shorts/fishnets/heels and wrecked it :(
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

My personal favourite I have been to is "wacky-tacky". I.e. wear anything as long as it is brightly coloured and looks cheap as hell.
This was my costume:
Spoiler:
n505952261_102243_4067.jpg
n505952261_102243_4067.jpg (42.76 KiB) Viewed 3365 times

P.s. I'm on the left.

Edit: one of my all time favourite costumes of mine has been the bubble wrap suit. That thing got really hot, really quickly. Though I refused to take any of it off. I also had people coming and popping me throughout the night....

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

My friend had a bond party once. Everyone was supposed to dress up as if they were in a bond movie.
I dressed up as covalent bond. I was so awesome.

Other than that... uh... I've been to generic costume parties.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

I've been to a net-speak themed party. You had to converse entirely in net-speak or you had to leave.

My friends are weird.

eristic
Mmm, superhero brains! Nom nom nom...

Postby eristic » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

Pandercolour wrote:I've been to a net-speak themed party. You had to converse entirely in net-speak or you had to leave.

My friends are weird.

I think that's weird.
Clerria wrote:
eristic wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

Haikus are simple
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

I went to a Groundhog Day party this year. There was a quiz about the film (an excellently detailed one), throwing cards into hats, angel food cake eating contest and various other trappings.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Rubik's cube party was probably the weirdest one - you had to go dressed up in all the colours of a rubik's cube, then swap clothes with people through the evening so you ended up in just one colour.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

drock

Postby drock » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

Hmm tv/movie/book themed parties seem nice, but it'd need to be something well known(and no, no trekkie or starwars parties).

We were thinking about doing a euro trash party which would be like the wacky tacky party heh.

@ Jessica Nice! xD

@ mmm, pi Rubic's cube party seems a little too complicated...but i guess that makes sense :P I'd have a field day looking for what the heck to wear.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Wow, some of these are way more unique than any of the ones I've been to so far. I guess my best was a murder mystery party that my friend designed, that made us all dress up/act like our teachers while we murdered each other over budget issues. Our crazy Chem teacher killed the principle... :roll:
Jessica wrote:My friend had a bond party once. Everyone was supposed to dress up as if they were in a bond movie.
I dressed up as covalent bond. I was so awesome.
I am wondering how you did that, because that is unbelievably cool.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

Took a white t-shirt and drew... I believe it was the lewis dot structure of something which was covalently bonded. Maybe alcohol. Can't remember.

It was awesome.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

I was considering throwing an Elevator party. Everyone has to get there at the exact same time. No one can know each other. Smooth jazz will play the entire time. The party will end at an exact time of my choosing, at which time everyone has to leave. They will not know ahead of time when the party will end. What's funny is that most people think I'm kidding about this, but I know 15 people who want to do this, and only two of them know each other.

drock

Postby drock » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:I was considering throwing an Elevator party. Everyone has to get there at the exact same time. No one can know each other. Smooth jazz will play the entire time. The party will end at an exact time of my choosing, at which time everyone has to leave. They will not know ahead of time when the party will end. What's funny is that most people think I'm kidding about this, but I know 15 people who want to do this, and only two of them know each other.

If you're near the Los Angeles area, count me in. >_>' Kinda sounds more like a small flash mob.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:14 pm UTC

Ah, sorry dude, I'm on the east coast. but by all means, run your own! I think it will be a blast. And is flash mob the thing were everyone coordinates an exact time and place and then gets up and dances out of nowhere?

drock

Postby drock » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Yes, except they can perform any random act such as a massive pillow fight, or gunfight using your hands. =)

It's kinda hard to find a bunch of people you don't know. @_@

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

I mean, you can cheat a little bit and invite a whole bunch of people that you know but don't know each other. That's what I'm intending to do. Or you could try 4chan. But 4chan meetups often end only in tears.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:38 am UTC

I just hosted a Headbutt an Italian Day party to celebrate the second year anniversary of Zinedine Zidane headbutting Marco Materazzi in the last football world cup.

It was pretty awesome. We played France vs. Italy mafia.

tiny

Postby tiny » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:09 am UTC

My best friend did a Fairy Tale themed party for her birthday this year. Most of the girls came dressed as princess. My best friend dressed as evil witch :D
Sadly I couldn't come, but when I see her (in August) I'll come wearing a red hood and carrying a basket with cake and wine for the good old grandmother (her). I think she'll hit me for that, but it'll be totally worth it.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

My roommates and I threw a couple of good ones our senior year.

Talk Like A Pirate Day (self explanatory) (YARRRRRRRR!)
Pink Elephant party (what you see when you're drunk, of course. Everyone was forced to wear something pink. Twas fun)
Awkward Middle School Dance Party- We made people dress like they did when they were in middle school, pushed our furniture aside and decorated the bare living room with streamers, spiked the punch, and played mid 90s music. Most of my roommates had been Catholic schoolgirls at some point so they had the uniforms going on. It was pretty hilarious.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

drock

Postby drock » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

hahaha all of these are great.

I like the headbutt an italian day because we only have one italian in our group. >_>'' And he totally deserves it.

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

awww..either they don't have those here, or they don't invite me. the only one that was remotely interesting was when my brother and his friends broke into school with keys they'd lent off the cleaning dudes then multiplied when they weren't looking, avoided security, and connected a gamecube to the projection room screen and played huge-screen SSBM.
It rains on the enemy too!

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

One of my friends had (Or went to. It was before I knew them) a party where everyone swapped an item of clothing with everyone they met there.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

Mmmm, Pi wrote:Rubik's cube party was probably the weirdest one - you had to go dressed up in all the colours of a rubik's cube, then swap clothes with people through the evening so you ended up in just one colour.

I'm hoping to have one of these some time soon! I just have to convince my friends that this is an awesome thing to do. :P

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:
Mmmm, Pi wrote:Rubik's cube party was probably the weirdest one - you had to go dressed up in all the colours of a rubik's cube, then swap clothes with people through the evening so you ended up in just one colour.

I'm hoping to have one of these some time soon! I just have to convince my friends that this is an awesome thing to do. :P

That was it! I should've read the thread.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

Ansible

Postby Ansible » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:18 am UTC

I'd like to go to a Portal themed party sometime, or maybe even host one myself. There would be plenty of cake, of course, and hopefully the companion cube would be able to make it this time.

itty53

Pirate Party...Seems up the xkcd Alley...

Postby itty53 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:54 am UTC

So I thought the people of xkcd may be interested in seeing some pictures.

I've spent the last 3 days with friends turning my single-wide mobile home into a pirate ship, complete with water-line. Granted it only LOOKS like one, for the purpose of a Pirate themed birthday party. Mast, Bow, cannons (with cannon doors), sharks in the water, anchor off the side, a crows nest, and a black-sail with black pirate flag.

Pictures will be taken tomorrow when it's complete. With all us pirates drinking and dancing through the night.

I thought this would be a good forum to advertise for a cheap way to have a great time:) Check back for pictures!

Laters
B

steewi

Postby steewi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

I've thought often of having a "come dressed as someone else at the party" party, but that could easily end up with a bunch of people getting offended at the way others dressed as them or because no one dressed as them.

I've been to a party with the twin themes "dictators" and "anime characters". They were pulled from a hat. There are pictures out there of me dressed as Hitler (sorry Godwin) with an anime 50s pin-up girl. No one got offended by my Hitler.

The other one I've heard about but never seen was a "year-round" party. You had to come dressed as a day of the year (your interpretation). Come dressed as yesterday (i.e. don't change your clothes), christmas, easter, samhain, talk like a pirate day, labour day (pregnant?), birthday, etc.

Marleen

Postby Marleen » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

What a sweet idea!

I held themed Halloween & Lord of the Rings parties, and I'm planning to next host a Lego do, and then maybe an 8-bit party.

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

Personally I've only been to a pajama party (Which was pretty fun actually, except only about 4 people were actually in pajamas).
I was unable to attend but a friend of mine threw a Motown party once which was a big hit.
Not very original, but I've always wanted to have an 80's party, mostly because I love any excuse to dress like an 80's rocker chick.

That is awesome.
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

One of my friends is in a society at uni, and every year they have a Secretary's pubcrawl. You all have to dress up as either a secretary, or the person who is the secretary of the society.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Nyssa

Postby Nyssa » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

I'd love to go to a "Come as Your Favorite Dead Celebrity" party. You'd have to dress up with them and then somehow reference the way they died in your costume.
I've been sent to give you a singing mammogram.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

Like, come as John Bonham and just be wet all night. That would be my costume.

itty53

Postby itty53 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

I've actually spent the last three days with 5 people converting my single wide into a Pirate ship.

Pirate themed birthday party:) Jungle Juice, pirate-ship (with bow, mast, sail, cannons, anchor, treasure chests...)

Cheap theme! A thrift store is full of pirate attire, barring a little modification and creativity.

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

hipp5

Postby hipp5 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

I threw an "anything but clothes" party once. There were a lot of clever garbage bag outfits as well as those made out of cardboard and a few made out of duct tape.

I've also been to a "two pieces of clothing" party but people didn't follow that rule very well so it was lame.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

Hmmm. Well, my friend is showing up from out of town on talk like a pirate day.
I'm thinking of throwing a "talk like a pirate day" themed party.

Or I could throw a differently themed party. A "anything but clothes" party would be fun, if only to bother my friend, and to allow us to make references to the Penny arcade strip which talked about that.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

drock wrote: unless we're spouting the aenied and talking about how bad our latin teacher was heh.

That..that would be awesome.

Except my Latin teacher was excellent.
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time

Return to “General”