rap music next door, no more

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dave Rapp

rap music next door, no more

Postby Dave Rapp » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

Okay. Breaking point reached.

I live in apartment, and the kids next door to my room like to play rap music. Loud. With the bass turned up, naturally. I hear it very clearly. I would like very much to not hear it, at all.

Suggestions? I'm willing to do basically anything to shut them up short of asking them directly (personal human contact? Eeww!) so long as they can't prove it was me.

Quickly, please, I might fly into a murderous rampage here.
My webcomic is made with 100% LEGO products and I think you should check it out.
http://www.lq-comic.com

DaMullet

Re: rap music next door, no more

Postby DaMullet » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

I couldn't remember the name of that last one, and was too lazy to search it.

oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:06 pm UTC

dave rapp doesn't like rap?

well.. you should really just get over your social phobia and ask them to stop. real intimidating-like.
you have to make them fear you

another idea might be to call the cops on them.. you might even get lucky and catch them doing something illegal.

but playing your own music louder always works.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Rat wrote:...but playing your own music louder always works.

My ex-roommate and I did that so many years ago. It does work.

I had the same problem with an upstairs neighbor whose kid liked to play Rap music loud. She liked to play Country loud, mainly Shania Twain or Deanna Carter (Strawberry Wine).

My roommate had a bunch of CDs of different types of music. My 5-disc stereo sat in the living room. We also had a few local radio stations preset on the stereo. We were armed well.

Whenever the kid played Rap music, we combatted with Country, Alternative Rock, or Classic Rock. If we wanted to get really ugly, I showed my roommate my Classical CDs. These would have been the final straw, the Hiroshima and Nagasaki of the stereo wars. That, or I would have searched the Internet for some Polka music to download and burn to disc. That would have gotten really ugly.

As would it have been had I bought an ABBA CD.

Luckily we never went that far. A few minutes of Leann Rimes or Pink Floyd, or the tuner set to 99X (local Alternative station) often worked. Likewise if the mother decided to crank up the Shania or Deanna, we put on Eminem, or the Alternative station, or the Classic Rock station.

Oddly enough, we've had no complaints from the other tenants in our building.

After they were evicted for unrelated matters, we experienced something odd: silence. When they were living there, we had problems with other people sitting up on the stairs that went up to the second floor, which were right outside my bedroom. Sometimes what we would do is open the apartment door to the breezeway, and sit in the dining room. We might talk, or play a game of Monopoly or Chess, until they all finally went home. They would talk loud, play their music loud from their car stereos, and everything else. We had called the manager, but they didn't do anything. We even called the cops and that helped once, but they kept coming back.
PRG

An important message for you:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

Dave Rapp wrote:Okay. Breaking point reached.
I live in apartment, and the kids next door to my room like to play rap music. Loud. With the bass turned up, naturally. I hear it very clearly. I would like very much to not hear it, at all.
Suggestions? I'm willing to do basically anything to shut them up short of asking them directly (personal human contact? Eeww!) so long as they can't prove it was me.

Lemme get this straight....

You're willing to break down the door, run in with guns a-blazin' and knives a-slashin' and end the lives of several people.. but not knock on the door and politely ask that they keep it down a bit?

Or even talk to the apartment manager about it?

Or call the cops on them and lodge a noise complaint?

Or all three in that order?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

But violence is always the answer!

And I subscribe to the "Play something louder back"

Seriously, all i have is a pair of oldish PC speakers. They are unreasonably loud for such a small object. However, my weapons are a bunch of really heavy metal (Children of Bodom +Bulldozers), Christmas jingles, Drum and base and Norwegian industrial.

"Oh hai! i own a sax and like to play it loudly at 3am!"
"Oh hai! *BASS*"

In my defense... it happened for a week straight, and managed to change my sleeping habits.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

Violence isn't the answer. It's the question. The answer is, "yes."

oh, look. Burma Shave.

Socal Swimmer

Postby Socal Swimmer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Dave Rapp wrote:Okay. Breaking point reached.

Lemme get this straight....

You're willing to break down the door, run in with guns a-blazin' and knives a-slashin' and end the lives of several people.. but not knock on the door and politely ask that they keep it down a bit?

asking does not work. they will stop for a little while, then it will slowly build back up from the point of barely noticeable but too quiet to say something to the point of slightly quieter than before.
Yawgmoth wrote:Girls who play "hard to get" are the fucking-devil incarnate.

I Am Raven wrote:"I don't wear underwear and like to swing the goods from left to right!"

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

Man, this was just like me last night. My neighbors were up at 3 AM yelling and screaming. Luckily I was already awake and practicing my bagpipe.

Alternatively, you can do one of the projects in this book:

Neat

Though building an interference generator is not illegal, using one is.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:35 pm UTC

I dunno, live with it?

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

My neighbors used to play music really loud at all hours of the night...until I brought up my Marshall half stack from home. :twisted: That baby will overpower any stereo.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

Socal Swimmer wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:...knock on the door and politely ask that they keep it down a bit?

asking does not work. they will stop for a little while, then it will slowly build back up from the point of barely noticeable but too quiet to say something to the point of slightly quieter than before.

Hence the other steps? I mean, checking on the noise ordinances of the city and getting the cops to show up generally tends to put a stop to most of that behavior.. mostly because most apartment mangers/owners don't like the cops showing up all the time, so it's possible they'll end up being evicted if it becomes a problem.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

You people and your 'scary' heavy metal. If you want to fuck people off with music play anything from this list:

Neophyte - always hardcore

Neophyte - I will have that power

Neophyte - one of these days

Angerfist - fuck

Angerfist - terror of my speedcore

Random speedcore

Random breakcore
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

My neighbors in my dorm used to do this. Until I eventually asked if they could please turn it down a bit. Which, being nice people, they did. The end.

Seriously, try it. Worst case scenario, you'll have to try something else later.

(Well, the real worst case scenario would be for them to disembowell you and knit your skin into a shower curtain. But that hardly ever happens.)

Most people do things like this not because they are gits, but because it never occurs to them that it could annoy people. They simply don't think about it.

Ruckus

Postby Ruckus » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Nath wrote:My neighbors in my dorm used to do this. Until I eventually asked if they could please turn it down a bit. Which, being nice people, they did. The end.

Seriously, try it. Worst case scenario, you'll have to try something else later.

(Well, the real worst case scenario would be for them to disembowell you and knit your skin into a shower curtain. But that hardly ever happens.)

Most people do things like this not because they are gits, but because it never occurs to them that it could annoy people. They simply don't think about it.

I was this person. For the first semester in college I was playing heavy metal and trance very loud at all hours. Turns out people like to sleep. Finally after finals for the first semester I had someone tell me about it. Talk about embarrassing. Suffice to say I only played my music semi-loud after that and at reasonable hours.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

My weapon of choice in speaker wars with neighbors was the "Phantom of the Opera" soundtrack, the tracks with a lot of organ playing worked well, both for sheer volume and for WTF factor.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

DaMullet wrote:Violence isn't the answer. It's the question. The answer is, "yes."

sig'd
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:13 pm UTC

My usual escalation on this front is:

1) Ask nicely
2) Ask much less nicely. Be disgruntled even.
3) Talk to management
4) Call the cops
5) Resort to Sound Wars

I am a fan of the badger song. It's one of those songs that eventually everyone hates. But it's best deployed when you are at work or otherwise not able to be tortured yourself. If I get sick of the Badger song, I move on to techno or metal, and throw in the classic 80's hits as a last resort (Safety Dance is probably my favorite).

iamfree

Postby iamfree » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

In college we played our music loud all of the time no matter what. People would ask up to turn it down so we would for a few hours... then turn it back up. If they came back and were pissy about it we said ok and turned it down until we couldn't see them in the peep hole anymore then turned it back up. Needless to say I don't handle that situation that way anymore... but be prepared for dicks to not do anything.

I had the displeasure of being on the other side of that too though. Sound wars are the best option; especially if you can somehow access their sound producing equipment and sabotage it in a way that you can't be traced or a way that won't mess their stuff up too bad (usually unplugging something b/c it always takes them forever to figure it out) but breaking into someone's place is illegal... but only if you get caught
GACAACGCACGCAACGCGCCCCGGACCACCUAA

just let It happen

arcticfox.sq

Postby arcticfox.sq » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

Are you good with circuits? Can you break into the building's circuit box, rig some sort of breaker that will cut off electricity to your neighbor's apartment, controlled by remote control? Then you can turn off their lights (and music) whenever it gets loud. They should soon learn by classical conditioning (or operant learning, if I got my theories mixed up) that loud music = sudden, scary darkness.

Hmm... you'll need to be able to turn it back on too, or hide the alterations really well or this clever ploy might be discovered by the building manager when they go to check the box. They won't be able to prove it was you (wipe off fingerprints before installation) but it'd be removed before the learning took hold.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

Here's a story that I think is kindof appropriate and in my opinion, a little bit funny.

I'm at the brand new college-owned apartments that are right off my campus. An RA lives there, but I'm 21, so I haev absolutely nothing I can get in trouble for. The rooms are nicer than anything I'm going to get after I graduate, I have a washer and drier that I share with my roommate and no one else, a kitchen, giant common room, and my own room, double bed, and bathroom. It's about as good as college living gets. Cheap, too. the problem? They were put up quickly. There is no noise-dampening insulation between the plaster walls. So in essence, the walls are just two half-inch reverb plates with about 3 inches of space in the middle. I'm okay with that. I mean, it's college. You aren't always going to get a good night's sleep.

The bad news is that besides one other suite on my floor, every single room has a Zeta in it. At Elon, there are sororities, and then there are Zetas, the shallow, dead-eyed coke zombies. All of them gorgeous blonde whores (hotdog down a hallway, etc.). The type that sees males as guido fuck-material, and then everyone else, who is deemed as "weird." And yeah, my posse is weird. I'm not judging the party types at all. I'm a repeat offended. We just happen to play drinking halo, rez, and puzzle fighter.

So whatever, the girl who shares a wall with me isn't my type of person. I can deal with that. Everyone in her suite is forgettable, but still very nice. But not Lexi (her real name). So I'll be watching House, M.D. at literally 3 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. At just above "fall asleep to" level. Right as the theme song comes on, I hear POUNDPOUNDPOUNDPOUNDPOUND for about seven or eight minutes. I figure she must be hanging up a picture or something. But then I pause, because it's been going on for a while. "TURN THAT FUCKING SHOW OFF," she yells. I ignore it. There is absolutely no way she's yelling at me. But then she does again. Alright. I'll play. I crank up my 600 watt bass amp and plug in Way of the Fist by Five Finger Death Punch. She pounds harder, but gets drowned out. I pause three minutes in and let her know that every time she pounds while I'm being reasonable, she gets a metal song. If she pounds during that song, she gets another metal song.

The record was 9 songs. And no, she didn't learn. Like a goldfish, her memory reset every 45 seconds or so. Oh yeah, this was the girl who woke me up minimum of three days a week at 8 in the morning with conversations with her mom including the (completely true) following: "Just shut the fuck up and pay for my birth control, you stupid bitch," and "Yeah, I got the thousand dollars. That should cover the dress...what?....Who the fuck are you to ask who Tyler is? Stay out of my fucking business, asshole!"

Sorry, hope that story wasn't anticlimactic.
TL;DR: Noise wars, like real wars, are only won by excessive force.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

See, to me, a noise war would simply indicate that not only are the walls paper thin as the volume I'm listening to is appropriate if maybe a bit loud, but my neighbor's stuff is loud too so it must be everyone and not just me... but that my neighbor is also a fan of various music types (as all that really carries through walls is the base) so whatever I'm listening to must be cool with him.

At one apartment I lived at, it sounded like our neighbors were playing trance music. Step outside where you can hear it through their window and... folk music. For realz. Something that sounded like East Europe folk music. But through the wall it was total lightswitch rave party.

Go knock on the door, explain what's going on, and ask them to turn it down.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:08 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Go knock on the door, explain what's going on, and ask them to turn it down.

Or break in and start swinging an axe.

steewi

Postby steewi » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:46 am UTC

My choices for playback vengeance music:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=jrbJkTqXw_k - Metal (about 1:30 is the ideal spot).
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=72g8p1XsvoU - Oh God oh God shut up happypop
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=fsacStWTu4k - JPOP bubblegum!
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HwANedEkqaY - throat-singing.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=abtK_9-cMpE - Swiss Celtic Metal

I promise none of them are rick-rolls (although that would be another good one).

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:26 am UTC

Seriously I think just living with it is a pretty good idea.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:35 am UTC

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:58 am UTC

Just call the cops. It's real easy.

You: I'd like to file a noise complaint.
Police: Ok what's the address?
You: <next door>
Police: What's the nature of the noise?
You: Loud music.
Police: Do the officers need to be let into the building?
You: <yes or no>
Police: Do you want the officers to make contact with you before addressing the complaint?
You: <yes or no>
Police: I'll have a cruiser sent over soon.
You: Thanks.

I have upstairs neighbors who had the habit of playing music and video games REALLY loudly (and yelling about every-fucking-thing that happens in those games they play) until 3 AM pretty regularly. After a few nights of loss of sleep I decided calling the cops was the best way to deal with them because honestly, they were being so incredibly inconsiderate the situation didn't even warrant a visit from yours truly. I did this a few times throughout the last year.

Assholes.

Return to “General”