stupidest comment ever

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mochafairy

Re: stupidest comment ever

Postby mochafairy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:35 am UTC

If we were to go simply by weather, then where I'm at would go something like:

May-September: Summer
October: Fall
End Oct-April: Winter
And we'd randomly have to switch season because we have freak days in january where it's 80 degrees(fahrenheit) and I honestly wouldn't be shocked if it snowed in July, although I haven't seen it happen, I've heard of it happening.

Going by the solstices an equinoxes divides the year into 4 parts for the "4" seasons. I know it's arbitrary and has nothing to do with the weather. But what in the US isn't arbitrary and has absolutely nothing to do with what it's supposed to?

back on topic:

frat guy on bus today: "What would happen if I licked a battery? Do you think I'd die?"
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

I mean the solstices (and equinoxes) should really be the middle of the season right? Surely the shortest days of the year are also the coldest
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

Meteorologists (who are the people who know what they're talking about when it comes to seasons) often define summer as the warmest 3 months of the year, winter as the coldest 3 months, and spring and fall as the times in between. This works only in temperate climates, of course.

Now, this would have some weird consequences if it were actually implemented. For example, where I live the three months with highest mean temperatures are July-September. But the three months with lowest mean temperatures are Dec-Feb. This would mean that spring here is four months and autumn is two months. Even worse: San Francisco, where the warmest months are Aug-Sep-Oct, and the coolest are Dec-Jan-Feb.

So most meteorologists use a working definition of "summer starts on June 1," at least around here.
Mo0man wrote:I mean the solstices (and equinoxes) should really be the middle of the season right? Surely the shortest days of the year are also the coldest
Not really. There are a lot of heat reservoirs in the environment (e.g. the ocean) that take a time to become depleted, and take time to refill during the summer. So temperature lags behind the insolation by an amount that varies depending on how many heat reservoirs are available in the area.

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

Not the stupidest comment ever, but it sill made me go "wait...what?"

My organic chemistry teacher today, on SN2 reactions:

Methyl halides react 2 millions times faster than tertiary halides. As for primary halides, they react 40 thousand times faster than tertiary halides, which makes them many thousands of times slower than methyl halides.

Hint: 2 000 000/40 000 = 50, not quite "many thousands".

EDIT: typo
Last edited by jerome_bc on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:14 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

Man, I couldn't read this whole thing. It made my face hurt. I started reading, then went to lunch, and started thinking about it. I don't know if I can really believe there are this many ignorant people with internet access. I'm sure all that happened is that somehow this bulk of moronic comments became sentient and started reproducing. Reminded me of MODOK.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Turtle_

Postby Turtle_ » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:17 am UTC

Turtle_ wrote:My school system recently "invested" in a lot of Promethian Boards, which are like electronic whiteboards. They're pretty damn awesome, but I think there are a lot of better uses of the money.

Aparently someone in my class agrees with on that topic
Stupid person wrote:Seriously, how much money did the school spend on those? Do you know how many Nikes would buy with that?

Great idea, spend our education money on fucking shoes....
Later that class that person said "What does instantaneous mean?" By the time you're 15 you should probably be able to realize that instant + a suffix probably means something related to instant. Especially considering that English is your first language.... This person said some other stupid things but I don't remember them....

One of my teacher's used a drawing from a student in another class as an example for something. The student is an amazing artist, so when the teacher showed it to us a bunch of people exclaimed about how good it was. One student said "That looks like something from google.com!"

Most of the things I post in this thread, including everything in this post, come from my "AP" NSL class (government). For some reason the "Advanced Placement" class has all the people who say random crap. Most of the time when the teacher uses an analogy, people start randomly talking about their personal experience with the topic. For example, when we were reviewing someone asked who John Locke was. Someone yelled out "I don't know who he is, but I can spell his last name!" or something along those lines, and then some people starting talking about the same thing :x.
"Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth." ~ Ender's Game
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." ~ Charles Darwin

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:16 am UTC

Turtle_ wrote:For example, when we were reviewing someone asked who John Locke was. Someone yelled out "I don't know who he is, but I can spell his last name!" or something along those lines, and then some people starting talking about the same thing :x.

Nerds like randomness. Nerds LOVE sidetracks.

/that reminds me...
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I never understood the whole "Aiming missiles" thing. I mean, all the stuff I've seen on how the various long-range missiles work is that they're vertical takeoff arc missiles.

So.. why bother keeping it "aimed" at something. It's not a rocket on a sled. It's a guided missile. You just punch in the target as you're launching the damned thing. No sense in aiming it at anything specific other than Away From Earth In Case Of Accidental Launch Or Something.

Security/Quick response.

Having targets hardwired, such that changing them requires an extensive maintainence procedure, helps prevent tampering. At least, that how it was at one point. May not still be the case.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Klapaucius wrote:EDIT: Just overheard, a conversation several feet away:

"Obama isn't black , he just has a really good tan."

You're sitting next to Silvo Berlusconi? :shock:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... s-tan.html
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:38 am UTC

ConMan wrote:
Klapaucius wrote:EDIT: Just overheard, a conversation several feet away:

"Obama isn't black , he just has a really good tan."

You're sitting next to Silvo Berlusconi? :shock:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... s-tan.html

Silvo Berlusconi sounds like the funniest guy... I wish our politicians were able to actually make a joke - and that the media would be able to interpret it as such.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:11 am UTC

A while back someone commented on a Youtube video: "who cares?"
I replied: "I do."
He replied something along the lines of "ok we don't need to hear your life story" and some sort of dumb insult. I found it terribly amusing.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:58 am UTC

huh wut?

Sorry but scientists have just shown that mice DNA is more similar to humans than human DNA.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:58 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:
Sorry but scientists have just shown that mice DNA is more similar to humans than human DNA.

Well... which one do you think is more similar?

mouse dna.png
It's kinda creepy to look at in the microscope...
mouse dna.png (20.9 KiB) Viewed 4326 times

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

thornahawk

Postby thornahawk » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

My organic chemistry teacher today, on S2N reactions:

Your teacher should probably worry about something other than her arithmetic too: those are called SN2 reactions. ;)

On topic: "Oh me yarm it has chlorine! CHLORINATED STUFF ARE DANGEROUS!"

I might hurl the salt shaker at that guy the next time I hear that.

~ Werner
John Dolan wrote:Cigarettes are insanely expensive and turn lots of poor people into cringing beggars.

E-mail!

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

thornahawk wrote:
My organic chemistry teacher today, on S2N reactions:

Your teacher should probably worry about something other than her arithmetic too: those are called SN2 reactions. ;)

On topic: "Oh me yarm it has chlorine! CHLORINATED STUFF ARE DANGEROUS!"

I might hurl the salt shaker at that guy the next time I hear that.

~ Werner

My bad, it's a typo + lazyness. I`ll correct it right away :wink:

On the topic of "Oh me yarm chemicals are bad!!!", I like to try to convince people that DHMO must be banned.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

From an email to staff at the hospital where I work "The month 7 position shows a positive surplus against our plan of £99K." I'm so glad we're not going to have one of those negative surpluses.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Turtle_

Postby Turtle_ » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:From an email to staff at the hospital where I work "The month 7 position shows a positive surplus against our plan of £99K." I'm so glad we're not going to have one of those negative surpluses.

That's the 2^8 post in this thread and you have 2^8 posts right now! (It wasn't your 256 post but that would have been even more awesome if it was....)

One time last year the teacher said we would be discussing poety/music, and someone exclaimed "And then all the black people will start rapping!"
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." ~ Charles Darwin

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:44 am UTC

phlip wrote:
GhostWolfe wrote:

LOL!! that totally made my night!

i better go to bed before it's spoiled again.
This too shall pass

1hitcombo

Postby 1hitcombo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:
phlip wrote:
GhostWolfe wrote:

LOL!! that totally made my night!

i better go to bed before it's spoiled again.

agreed. don't think I can top that.

some girl in high school justifying her dumbness, or something along those lines wrote:I know I'm not the brightest tool in the shed.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

I wish I could post the convo-tree I had shortly after Obama's victory, but at one point the guy I was arguing with quoted HIMSELF, attributed it to me, and proceeded to rip into his own argument. It was beautiful.

Turtle_

Postby Turtle_ » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

"How do you type Roman Numerals?"

Also, for part of a history worksheet we had to figure the percent increase in government spending from one year to another. It increased from aprroximately 10900 (million) to 219000 (million). People in the class had so much fucking trouble with this one, that it took about 15 minutes of discussion among people in the class for at least 80% of the class to come to the conclusion that it was an increase of 9(5)% (as in some people thought it was 95%, and some thought it was 5%. I could understand being off by 100% due to fact that the question was slightly ambigous, but saying that a number that is 20 times as large as another is "5% more" is ridiculous. Another common answer was 19.91% (when it should have been 1991% or 1891% depending on how you interpreted the question). The teacher also said that the class was very bad at math, to which someone replied "no we're not."

FireRose

Postby FireRose » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:30 am UTC

phlip wrote:
mochafairy wrote:Winter does not arrive officially until the Winter Solstice, which is Dec 21 for this year.

Like many things that the USA does differently to here, I've never understood this... why have winter officially start long after it starts getting cold, and end it long after it starts warming back up? I mean, even if you were to use equinoxes and solstices and such for measuring, wouldn't it make some sort of sense to have the solstice in the middle of winter, rather than the start? Sure, the coldest part of the year is sometime after the solstice itself, but not by a month and a half...

Unfortunately, Wikipedia doesn't seem to say how popular the two ways of measuring the seasons are... just names a couple of countries that use them.

The solstices are the longest night (the winter one) and the longest day (the summer one). The equinoxes occur three months after the winter solstice and three months after the summer solstice, and mark the only two days of the year in which night and day last for equal amounts of time, or at least as close as it gets to equal. So, they were not, in fact, originally used to measure the beginning of a season, although they were sometimes used to mark the middle of the seasons. It would not make sense to have the solstice in the middle of winter, but it would make sense to use something other than the solstices and the equinoxes to mark the beginning of the seasons.
"What's prison?" "It's a place with no sky."

Elennaro

Postby Elennaro » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:03 am UTC

How about this one: we were in the middle of an anatomy lecture, and our prof was talking about Vesalius,the founder of modern anatomical knowledge. He did much of his work living in the city where I study, and to this day bodies are dissected in the Vesalius institute. But at one point he left the city after serious arguments with his former masters. The arguments were about bloodletting. The old "masters" always thought that bloodletting was best done homolaterally (on the side where the pain is located), while Vesalius, after discovering a certain vein system, insisted that it should be done heterolaterally (on the other side). The arguments got heated enough to get him to leave the city.
After that explanation, the prof was getting ready to continue his talk about I-can't-remember-which bone, muscle, vessel or nerve, when a girl raises her hand and asks: "But who was right?"

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:10 am UTC

1hitcombo wrote:
some girl in high school justifying her dumbness, or something along those lines wrote:I know I'm not the brightest tool in the shed.
It's fun to mix those. I like "sharpest bulb in the hive" myself.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:28 am UTC

Elennaro wrote:How about this one: we were in the middle of an anatomy lecture, and our prof was talking about Vesalius,the founder of modern anatomical knowledge. He did much of his work living in the city where I study, and to this day bodies are dissected in the Vesalius institute. But at one point he left the city after serious arguments with his former masters. The arguments were about bloodletting. The old "masters" always thought that bloodletting was best done homolaterally (on the side where the pain is located), while Vesalius, after discovering a certain vein system, insisted that it should be done heterolaterally (on the other side). The arguments got heated enough to get him to leave the city.
After that explanation, the prof was getting ready to continue his talk about I-can't-remember-which bone, muscle, vessel or nerve, when a girl raises her hand and asks: "But who was right?"

Stupidest idea ever: Looking up bloodletting on wikipedia... I now feel rather ill.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:01 am UTC

Of course, now -I- had to look up bloodletting in Wikipedia.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:05 am UTC

Saving the world a small amount of clicking, one post at a time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:19 am UTC

nightlina wrote:Silvo Berlusconi sounds like the funniest guy... I wish our politicians were able to actually make a joke - and that the media would be able to interpret it as such.
I'm not sure the Italians find Berlusconi funny...
We are nothing but the nerds they say we are.

apoklips

Postby apoklips » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:07 pm UTC

Goatboy wrote:I don't know if I can really believe there are this many ignorant people with internet access.

Apparently, you've never been to 4chan.
"Wow, sarcasm! That's original..." - Dr. Horrible

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

This isn't remotely the stupidest comment ever, but in context it felt rather damned stupid.

The scene is the midday meal (to avoid ambiguity across oceans (for those who know the way my school works, people tend to have this meal just after school ends)). A lad gets up and goes to the toilet. He returns laughing his arse off, explains to his table the situation, and then another few go to the toilet to investigate. Now, I was able to make out from listening intently that apparently there were two lads in one stall, feet facing. Certainly, the new investigators arrive laughing just as hard and start spreading the word about. So, at this point one of the educators still on the grounds goes and investigates, and comes back hauling these two out.

So, here's the image: a lad and a lass (as it turns out, she was wearing very masculine pants and shoes). He's smirking like a trademarked douchebag and she's wiping her mouth.

Everyone sees this, including the commenter. A slow clap starts up (that shows you what sort of school this is). heather, bright as she is, and as thoroughly perverted as she is, asks "what were they doing?"
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

Insignificant Deifaction wrote:*snip*
That's...rather unclever. But hilarious.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

How come mirrors can "see beyond" their own edges? I mean… how can the mirror "know about"/reflect our world when you look into it from an angle? I don't understand this. Shouldn't it show… void/blackness where it cannot possibly reflect anything? You are seeing it, but the mirror should not be able to see it and therefore it should not be able to mirror anything that isn't within the mirror's (narrow) width.

Am I confused? Obviously I am, since mirrors are able to do this. But why doesn't my reasoning work?

Someone in /b/. Probably a troll, but whatever.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Turtle_

Postby Turtle_ » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:16 am UTC

From the Washington Post, December 20, 2008:
The Dec. 16 front-page article describing how some have made a hero of the so-called reporter who threw his shoes at our president ["Flying Shoes Create a Hero in Arab World"] has pushed me to the edge. If a reporter in this country did the same thing to a visting foreign leader, he would not be considered a hero but would be punished in an appropriate manner.
Get some respect for our country. If you continue this way, I will cancel my subscription of more than 30 years.

This idiot's statement falls in that common category of stupid comments where their statement is reasonably and seems to be leading up to a useful point until out of fucking nowhere, they suddenly interject a comment that makes no sense. Apparently the United States is part of the Arab world or something (according to the quoted comment).

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:11 am UTC

Maybe the letter writer isn't American but actually Iraqi?
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

the tree

Postby the tree » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:00 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:Someone in /b/. Probably a troll, but whatever.
It's possible to troll in /b/?

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

I'm a father of three boys (the fourth is on the way tho' we don't know the sex). While I'm not sure this counts as stupid or not, children often fail to see GAPING holes in their logic.

The five year old comes into the room crying... In a calming voice I ask what happened.....
It all started when Austin hit me back.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

I've used that one before. In defense of my younger self, it was supposed to be funny. In considerably less defense of my younger self, I hit my brother first just so I could use that line.

mike

Postby mike » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

"white men had to fight to get where we are today too, we went through so many wars, starvations, freezed our ass off up in the north, black death who exterminated almost the whole population in europe.. and so much more i cant explain it :P and still we managed to climb to the top, and help the black race to get where they are today :P you black just sat back and watch us die and then take and live on the things we created"

Oh dear... There goes my faith in humanity again...

EDIT:
"racism will soon be gone i think...America = half breed nation...so something like this would happen

Guy part white and black: I HATE MEXICANS!
other guy: dude u got mexican in u
guy part white and black AND mexican: oh yeah...nvm then"

So many!

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:13 am UTC

Two quotes from the same student in a junior college logic class:

"But why couldn't it be undetermined?"

Context: We were supposed to answer "true", "false", or "undetermined", and someone had just explained why the answer was "true".

"But what if you're a girl and don't know anything about metals?"

Context: The professor was a woman.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:58 am UTC

Turtle_ wrote:From the Washington Post, December 20, 2008:
The Dec. 16 front-page article describing how some have made a hero of the so-called reporter who threw his shoes at our president ["Flying Shoes Create a Hero in Arab World"] has pushed me to the edge. If a reporter in this country did the same thing to a visting foreign leader, he would not be considered a hero but would be punished in an appropriate manner.
Get some respect for our country. If you continue this way, I will cancel my subscription of more than 30 years.

This idiot's statement falls in that common category of stupid comments where their statement is reasonably and seems to be leading up to a useful point until out of fucking nowhere, they suddenly interject a comment that makes no sense. Apparently the United States is part of the Arab world or something (according to the quoted comment).

OK, so here's what I think the letter-writer is saying:
  • The man who threw a shoe at Bush is being lauded as a hero... but if an American reporter did the same to a visiting foreign leader, he'd be punished.
  • As such, the shoe-thrower, and all those calling him a hero, are disrespecting America ("our country").
Up to here, it's reasonable. But then:
  • By reporting on the fact that some consider this shoe-thrower a hero, the Post is condoning their actions, and clearly also thinks that this man is a hero.
  • As such, the Post is clearly also disrespecting America, and thus the letter-writer will stop buying it.
This is clearly akin to blaming the weatherman for the rain.

Someone needs to tell this person that a newspaper can report "person A claims point B" without the newspaper also claiming point B. Personally, I'd prefer that a newspaper reports any newsworthy events like this, regardless of whether the opinions espoused by the reportees line up with those of the reporter.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Return to “General”