stupidest comment ever

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Re: stupidest comment ever

Postby nightlina » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:27 am UTC

mrbaggins wrote:
nightlina wrote:this isn't really a stupid comment I suppose, but it is still kinda stupid and makes me sad inside...

I was at a shopping centre the other day and for some reason the escalator had broken and wasn't moving. There was a man in front of us with his little kid, the kid stepped onto the escalator and stopped, expecting it to move for him. When it didn't, the kid just kept standing there, even though the dad was trying to explain and get him to walk (as well as apologising to us profusely).

It really did make me a bit sad and wonder if I were to have children whether they'd forget how to walk like that someday.

No idea how true: http://bash.org/?561914

Heh, trust there to be a quote about it on Bash...

@Iori - that really is bad... are you a teacher or a student?

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:30 am UTC

Neither. I was a student some years ago, though, and those are my notes.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby NightStar » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

One day in my tenth grade biology class, the teacher asked, "If there were to be a seventh kingdom of life created, what would it be?" (We learn a classification system with six kingdoms here.) The answer he wanted was viruses, since there's debate on whether or not they constitute "life". But one of the ditzy girls in the class blurted out, with complete sincerity, "Umm... Aliens?"

:shock: :lol:

I couldn't help it. I snorted with laughter. And then the whole class stared at me like I was a jerk! Really, I can't help it if her ignorance is hilarious!
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*

Turtle_

Postby Turtle_ » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Teacher: What's the most notable literary work of the the U.S.?
Student: Doctor Seuss!

... That's.. kinda debatable, really. Notability is debatable. And Dr. Seuss is awesome.

Was the Big Man kid just trying to be an asshole?

In my government class someone asked "If a democrat becomes president will gas prices go down?" Everyone knows that the policy doesn't matter at all, gas prices are only determined based on the party of the president.
.. eh? It's more of market forces that change the gas price. It has little, if anything, to do with who the President is. If anything, it'd have to do more with the legislative branch for changing the tariffs on imported oil or gasoline.

I'm pretty sure the Big Man kid just isn't the best with Spanish so she didn't understnad the question. And about the notability thing, we were trying to find an example of something similiar to Don Quixote. Dr. Seuss didn't really have the large effect the teacher was trying to find. The teacher didn't actually ask the question like that, she was wondering about what it would be then someone suggested Dr. Seuss. THe last one was supposed to be sarcastic, but I can see how it could have been hard to notice. I was trying to point out that the way they said it implied that gas prices are decided based only on the party of the president. As if someone looks it up in a book and says "Oh, a republican. I better raise prices."
"Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth." ~ Ender's Game
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." ~ Charles Darwin

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:29 am UTC

NightStar wrote:I couldn't help it. I snorted with laughter. And then the whole class stared at me like I was a jerk! Really, I can't help it if her ignorance is hilarious!

It was a reasonable answer. If alien 'life' were found, presumably it wouldn't fall into any kingdom of Earth life, and if we wanted to include it in our taxonomic system, we would have to create another kingdom. Just because you think viruses is the obvious answer, doesn't mean there aren't others.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:32 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
NightStar wrote:I couldn't help it. I snorted with laughter. And then the whole class stared at me like I was a jerk! Really, I can't help it if her ignorance is hilarious!

It was a reasonable answer. If alien 'life' were found, presumably it wouldn't fall into any kingdom of Earth life, and if we wanted to include it in our taxonomic system, we would have to create another kingdom. Just because you think viruses is the obvious answer, doesn't mean there aren't others.

Thank you. Alien life, if found, would have a good chance of being radically different--to the point of a different domain, perhaps, but who can say. Taxonomists would have fun, I'm sure.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:34 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Thank you.

You're welcome. Alpha Omicron - Being right since before you were.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:36 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:Thank you.

You're welcome. Alpha Omicron - Being right since before you were.

Were what?
500%!

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:39 am UTC

Klapaucius wrote:Were what?

Right. I don't see how the grammar of that sentence would leave that in doubt...

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:44 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
Klapaucius wrote:Were what?

Right. I don't see how the grammar of that sentence would leave that in doubt...

When you say "that", you are referring to "that sentence", correct?

And thank you for agreeing with me. Or were you indicating a direction?
500%!

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am UTC

If you're trying to be weaselly, ambiguity doesn't imply incorrectness. I could post everything in Lojban, but you wouldn't want that.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:52 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:If you're trying to be weaselly, ambiguity doesn't imply incorrectness. I could post everything in Lojban, but you wouldn't want that.

I wasn't trying to imply incorrectness. Where did you get that idea?
500%!

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:51 am UTC

"I think paedophiles should be sent to death camps like they have in america."
Haha what? (University sociology student)
"I read that there were these afgan immigrants who got given a mansion whilst the poor british soldier lived in his car."
Yeah from the reputable 'daily mail' and 'the sun' papers

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:38 am UTC

The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

seladore

Postby seladore » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:"I think paedophiles should be sent to death camps like they have in america."
Haha what? (University sociology student)
"I read that there were these afgan immigrants who got given a mansion whilst the poor british soldier lived in his car."
Yeah from the reputable 'daily mail' and 'the sun' papers

Charlie Brooker wrote:[T]he Daily Mail - not so much a newspaper as an idiot's guidebook issued in bite-size daily instalments...

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:56 am UTC

This thread makes me lose all faith in humanity.

Provided I had any to begin with.

Daelar

Postby Daelar » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

Yer read the Daily mail to lose some faith, it's the only reason I buy it.

Unfortunately it makes me look like I take it seriously...

mike

Postby mike » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

No, everyone is born Christian. Only later in life do people choose to stray from Jesus and worship satan instead. Atheists have the greatest "cover" of all, they insist they believe in no god yet most polls done and the latest research indicates that they are actually a different sect of Muslims.

This had me.

And you guys can't speak monkey?

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

I recently recalled another mind-bogglingly idiotic comment. There was a thread on Slashdot about cell phone use on airplanes. Among the usual ignorant comments this one stood out. It was something like:

If cell phones could really affect an airplane, every plane in the sky would crash every time there was a lightning strike.

Even more enraging to me was the fact that is was modded up as 'insightful'. It adds to my despair concerning the quality of any content on the internet.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I recently recalled another mind-bogglingly idiotic comment. There was a thread on Slashdot about cell phone use on airplanes. Among the usual ignorant comments this one stood out. It was something like:

If cell phones could really affect an airplane, every plane in the sky would crash every time there was a lightning strike.

Even more enraging to me was the fact that is was modded up as 'insightful'. It adds to my despair concerning the quality of any content on the internet.

1) Reading slashdot comments will destroy your faith in humanity.
2) Without lessening the stupidity of that statement, I will note that cell phones really do not have an effect on aircraft communications systems. They just want you (1) not bugging the ever-loving SHIT out of other passengers by yapping for the entire trip and (2) paying attention in case shit hits the fan. I recall reading an article that discussed a poll taken of frequent airplane passengers: the pollster informed them that cell phones are actually quite safe to use on airplanes, and then asked if they'd like the rules changed to allow them to use their cell phones. The overwhelming majority wanted the rules to stay the same. Probably because it's annoying enough to have a whiny kid behind you or a snoring fat guy next to you, and adding cell phones to the mix is really just suicide-inducing.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Lord Aurora wrote:
emceng wrote:I recently recalled another mind-bogglingly idiotic comment. There was a thread on Slashdot about cell phone use on airplanes. Among the usual ignorant comments this one stood out. It was something like:

1) Reading slashdot comments will destroy your faith in humanity.
2) Without lessening the stupidity of that statement, I will note that cell phones really do not have an effect on aircraft communications systems. They just want you (1) not bugging the ever-loving SHIT out of other passengers by yapping for the entire trip and (2) paying attention in case shit hits the fan. I recall reading an article that discussed a poll taken of frequent airplane passengers: the pollster informed them that cell phones are actually quite safe to use on airplanes, and then asked if they'd like the rules changed to allow them to use their cell phones. The overwhelming majority wanted the rules to stay the same. Probably because it's annoying enough to have a whiny kid behind you or a snoring fat guy next to you, and adding cell phones to the mix is really just suicide-inducing.

I have to disagree with your second point. Cell phones can and have caused interference with avionics. The likelyhood of them bringing down a jetliner is extremely small, but EMI is not a trivial concern. One problem with large planes is that they are essentially a sealed metal box when it comes to the EM radiation. So if you add one phone in, it will bounce around a bit. Add 30, or 100, or 300 phones, and it greatly increases the complexity of the situation. It becomes a reverberation chamber.

There is also the added issue of takeoff and landing. The ILS(Instrument Landing System) is used for foggy and dark landing, and is safety critical. I have read papers that say the ILS can be affected by off the shelf electronics - which is why you are asked to turn everything off during takeoff and landing.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

Everything said on juicycampus. One of the best that I've read was

minoritys cant be racist dumbass
[sic]

Yeah.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:Everything said on juicycampus. One of the best that I've read was

minoritys cant be racist dumbass
[sic]

Yeah.

I refute it thus!
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=IN5StQAr7n0

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

I love the lackluster "are you shitting me" applause he gets.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

I love the name of his bookstore: Blacknificient books
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

IAmTheMonty

Postby IAmTheMonty » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

NightStar wrote:One day in my tenth grade biology class, the teacher asked, "If there were to be a seventh kingdom of life created, what would it be?" (We learn a classification system with six kingdoms here.) The answer he wanted was viruses, since there's debate on whether or not they constitute "life". But one of the ditzy girls in the class blurted out, with complete sincerity, "Umm... Aliens?"

:shock: :lol:

I couldn't help it. I snorted with laughter. And then the whole class stared at me like I was a jerk! Really, I can't help it if her ignorance is hilarious!

Sorta reminds me of 8th grade physics when my teacher finished explaining orbits and how spacecraft stay in them, complete with pictures of satellites in orbit, and one girl raised her hand and said: "This is all just theoretical, right?" The entire class lol'd.

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I have to disagree with your second point. Cell phones can and have caused interference with avionics. The likelyhood of them bringing down a jetliner is extremely small, but EMI is not a trivial concern. One problem with large planes is that they are essentially a sealed metal box when it comes to the EM radiation. So if you add one phone in, it will bounce around a bit. Add 30, or 100, or 300 phones, and it greatly increases the complexity of the situation. It becomes a reverberation chamber.

There is also the added issue of takeoff and landing. The ILS(Instrument Landing System) is used for foggy and dark landing, and is safety critical. I have read papers that say the ILS can be affected by off the shelf electronics - which is why you are asked to turn everything off during takeoff and landing.

Last time I checked, all cell phone radiation works outside the spectrum used by avionics.
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

Just because it operates outside, doesn't mean it doesn't create en EM field.

Never heard a phone making noise via stereo speakers?
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

Today in Algebra II a girl interrupted a lesson on matrix equations to ask what -2 minus -1 is.

We are in eleventh grade.

EDIT: Just overheard, a conversation several feet away:

"Obama isn't black , he just has a really good tan."
Last edited by Klapaucius on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
500%!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:58 pm UTC

That's easy. The answer is 3i squared times the only prime factor of Pi.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

Or e^(i times pi), am i right?
500%!

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

Kaiyas wrote:
emceng wrote:I have to disagree with your second point. Cell phones can and have caused interference with avionics. The likelyhood of them bringing down a jetliner is extremely small, but EMI is not a trivial concern. One problem with large planes is that they are essentially a sealed metal box when it comes to the EM radiation. So if you add one phone in, it will bounce around a bit. Add 30, or 100, or 300 phones, and it greatly increases the complexity of the situation. It becomes a reverberation chamber.

Last time I checked, all cell phone radiation works outside the spectrum used by avionics.

Cell phones intentionally radiate at specific frequencies, which are outside the aviation bands. The problem is that all electronics produce unintentional noise at other frequencies. Even a simple motor generator can radiate at high frequency if it is not built correctly. Another example is your computer. It is not intended to radiate at all(barring wireless, etc.), but it does have high speed electronics inside. The CPU, bus, modem, and all sorts of other components inside are blasting out EM waves at a number of different frequencies. That's why your electronic devices have stickers on them saying that they comply with FCC Part 15.

There are other issues, like phase and frequnecy shifting due to propagation medium, susceptibility ranges, and cable shielding but I will skip that.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:19 am UTC

emceng wrote:Another example is your computer. It is not intended to radiate at all(barring wireless, etc.), but it does have high speed electronics inside. The CPU, bus, modem, and all sorts of other components inside are blasting out EM waves at a number of different frequencies. That's why your electronic devices have stickers on them saying that they comply with FCC Part 15.

Win van Eck wrote:i'm in anozer room, watchin' ur screen.

Turtle_

Postby Turtle_ » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:27 am UTC

Cell phones intentionally radiate at specific frequencies, which are outside the aviation bands. The problem is that all electronics produce unintentional noise at other frequencies. Even a simple motor generator can radiate at high frequency if it is not built correctly. Another example is your computer. It is not intended to radiate at all(barring wireless, etc.), but it does have high speed electronics inside. The CPU, bus, modem, and all sorts of other components inside are blasting out EM waves at a number of different frequencies. That's why your electronic devices have stickers on them saying that they comply with FCC Part 15.

There are other issues, like phase and frequnecy shifting due to propagation medium, susceptibility ranges, and cable shielding but I will skip that.[/quote]

Can you explain to me what is meant by "This device must accept any harmful interference, even if it will cause undesirable operation"? This statement has always confused me.

Now for the reason I came here.

My school system recently "invested" in a lot of Promethian Boards, which are like electronic whiteboards. They're pretty damn awesome, but I think there are a lot of better uses of the money. Anyway, one of the things you can do with them is give the students these "eggs" which are just devices with buttons that say "A","B","C","D","E", and "F." The teacher can have a question on the board and the students can answer by pressing the buttons, and the board will record that. When it shows the results the board shows the percent who got it right, the percent who got it wrong, and the percent who "didn't know." After a few questions someone asked what was meant by "didn't know", and the teacher replied that those were the students who didn't answer. Since we had extras, there would always be some in that category. Later in the class someone asked "How does the egg know that you didn't know the answer?"

In history we were discussing how the U.S. Government can't give titles such as knight, and we talked about that for about five minutes. At the end the teacher said something like "There are no k---nig---hts in the U.S." (the Monty Python pronounciation.) A student then asked what a "k---nig---ht" was. This one isn't exactly stupid, as everyone can't be expected to know the reference. However, in the context of the discussion it would be reasonable to be able to determine the meaning easly, instead of repeatedly asking what that meant.
"Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth." ~ Ender's Game
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." ~ Charles Darwin

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

Turtle_ wrote:

There are other issues, like phase and frequnecy shifting due to propagation medium, susceptibility ranges, and cable shielding but I will skip that.

Can you explain to me what is meant by "This device must accept any harmful interference, even if it will cause undesirable operation"? This statement has always confused me.

I intepreted it to mean "If waves from other electronics and things like that screw with your gadget, you can't do anything about it."

Taken loosely, this meant that when I was 5 and learned how to eavesdrop on phone conversations using a toy walkie-talkie, my parents couldn't punish me for it.
500%!

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:57 pm UTC

Klapaucius wrote:
Turtle_ wrote:

I intepreted it to mean "If waves from other electronics and things like that screw with your gadget, you can't do anything about it."

Taken loosely, this meant that when I was 5 and learned how to eavesdrop on phone conversations using a toy walkie-talkie, my parents couldn't punish me for it.

Essentially that is correct. There are two sides to EMC testing - emissions and immunity. Emissions is measuring what is coming out of the device, while immunity is seeing if the device is susceptible to different things it might encounter in the real world. In the US, the FCC does not require immunity testing, but the EU does.

For an example that should not accept harmful interference, think about an implantable medical device. These fall under other departments as well as the FCC, but in general they have to be designed to not accept harmful interference.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

Turtle_ wrote:"k---nig---ht"

I like my spelling better.

not sure if this one can be called stupid or simply stating the obvious:
"winter is here"
well yes, the sky is completely overcast, it appears to be snowing ever so slightly, and it is as cold as the dickins outside. I'd say that winter is here all right, thank you for pointing that out.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

It's still fall. Winter does not arrive officially until the Winter Solstice, which is Dec 21 for this year.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

well sure, if you want to be official about it. In my mind, really cold weather + snow + ice means winter.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

mochafairy wrote:Winter does not arrive officially until the Winter Solstice, which is Dec 21 for this year.

Like many things that the USA does differently to here, I've never understood this... why have winter officially start long after it starts getting cold, and end it long after it starts warming back up? I mean, even if you were to use equinoxes and solstices and such for measuring, wouldn't it make some sort of sense to have the solstice in the middle of winter, rather than the start? Sure, the coldest part of the year is sometime after the solstice itself, but not by a month and a half...

Unfortunately, Wikipedia doesn't seem to say how popular the two ways of measuring the seasons are... just names a couple of countries that use them.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Return to “General”