Questions For The World

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

roband

Re: Questions For The World

Postby roband » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:56 pm UTC

I think it's jammed pretty deep into kids that Dec, Jan and Feb are winter and June, July and Aug are summer.

If you then get told that when we have winter, Australia has summer, I can see why a child might be confused about it.

But I've never experienced an adult who thought that.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

From Melbourne here, only ever heard it as 'rock, paper, scissors'.

Edit: Actually, it may be 'paper, scissors, rock'. Now I'm confused.
Last edited by yurell on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

Oflick wrote:What order do you put "Scissors, Paper, Rock" in? I've always known it as "Scissors, Paper, Rock" and thought of "Rock, Paper, Scissors" as the American version. But then I hear people say "Paper, Scissors, Rock". So what one do you use? Anyone know one that ends in "Paper", like "Rock, Scissors, Paper"? That just sounds weird to me.

Swedish, and I say 'sten, sax, påse' (rock, scissors, paper) in Swedish, and rock, paper, scissors in English.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

It always seems to be rock, paper, scissors here (England)
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

I grew up hearing it called "Scissors, Paper, Stone" and I refuse to adhere to standard US nominal standards.

Roshambo: First Blood Part II
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

Pierre papier ciseaux.

or (archaic) pierre feuille ciseaux

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

mrbaggins wrote:5: Waterfall if you're playing to get smashed, categories if you're not (Waterfall is you can't start drinking til the person before you starts, and you can't stop til the person before you stops. Screw up and consume. Categories is pick a category and add items. Screw up/repeat, drink.)

Ugh. I hate Waterfall.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

I've seen various versions of the card games. The popular one among my friends was called 'thumbmaster'

Rules:
Ace: Make 1 person drink
2: Make 2 people drink
3: Make 3 people drink
4: Make 4 people drink
5: Last person to raise their right hand drinks
6: Waterfall
7: person ahead of you drinks
8: You drink
9: Person behind you drinks
10: Person becomes thumbmaster(can place their thumb on the table at any time, usually circumspectly. Last person to do the same drinks)
J: Category(pick a topic(say sports cars, girls names starting with 'A', go around until someone can't think of one
Q: Questions
K: Add to the cup. Waterfall.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

A, waterfall
2, you. (Pick someone to drink)
3, me. (take a drink)
4, whores, (all women drink.
5, thumbmaster
6, dicks, (all men drink)
7, heaven, (same as thumbmaster, but instead you have to point up)
8, mate, (pick a friend, they have to drink every time you do. This often leads to triangles with my friends)
9, bust a rhyme, (say a sentence, go round the circle rhyming. First person to fail, or repeat a rhyme drinks)
10, rulemaster, (make a new rule, lasts until the next 10 is picked)
J, snakeyes, (anyone who looks you in the eye has to drink, lasts until next J is picked.)
Q, question master. (Anyone who answers any question you ask with anything other than "Fuck you, question master!" must drink. If they answer correctly, you must drink.)
K, King's cup.

International Drinking Rules: No first names.
No use of the 'D' word.
No pointing.
No fucking swearing.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

We were a big fan of thumb master. We did question master but where you just couldn't answer the question, have to drink if you did. There'd always be a make a rule card in there, but any made rules stayed in effect for the whole game...it was rare not to end up with a rule somehow involving names (usually swapping rather than completely eliminating), and normally couldn't say drink (the next rule was often then can't say consume). Can't actually remember what all rules we normally had...they were never really tied to any particular card though except the kings.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:58 pm UTC

Our rules for Ring of fire:
A: Waterfall
2: You
3: Me
4: Floor (last person to touch the floor)
5: Guys (males drink)
6: Chicks (females drink)
7: Heaven (Last person with hand in the air)
8: Mate
9: Rhyme
10: Shark (The floor becomes the sea with a shark in it, last person left with a body part touching the floor is eaten by the shark and drinks)
J: Eye bastard (If you look the person with this card in the eye you drink)
Q: Make a rule
K: Cup

Also international drinking rules apply, as Whelan says, minus the swearing part. And if you break the circle you drink.

We used to do question master but nobody every remembered it and thumb master we found a bit dull. The shark is by far my favourite one. It's interesting how different some peoples rules are. But I suppose every group has different rules, to an extent.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

I like the Eye bastard. Might use that as a rule next time. Sure to screw people up. Also shark floor.

My (field) hockey team has it's own drinking rules.
You cannot say the word for your headbone that begins with S. (No, I'm not even going to type it). Here it's synonymous with drink the remainder of your drink
You cannot point.
You cannot be holding two drinks at the same time when you drink from one (Double parked)
You cannot directly take a drink from another person, it must be placed down, then picked up (Acceptance)
You cannot drink from your dominant hand (Mostly right, as we're all hockey players)

Any violators are forced to consume the remainder of their drink.

These rules are in effect any time there are more than 3 of us present at one gathering.

We usually have peg-of-death at more organised functions too.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

Australian: Scissors, Paper, Rock

But my Singaporean girlfriend insists it's Scissors, Paper, Stone.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:13 am UTC

It is now rock, paper, scissors. But when I was a small child, I think it was scissors, paper, stone. (UK)

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:22 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I grew up hearing it called "Scissors, Paper, Stone" and I refuse to adhere to standard US nominal standards.

I also grew up knowing it as "Scissors, Paper, Stone", but whenever I call it that everyone is all "Dur-hur, what are you talking about, it's Rock, Paper, Scissors you loser."

ConMan wrote:Australian: Scissors, Paper, Rock

Not in my part of Australia. I've never heard anyone call it that.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:18 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:

So which part was that? I grew up in Sydney.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:20 am UTC

I've heard it either "Rock Paper Scissors" or "Ro Sham Bo" where I grew up in Central California. When I moved to Western New York I heard "Rock Scissors Paper" more often, from natives and other people who came from the east coast in general.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:29 am UTC

It's always been Rock-Paper-Scissors to me. Grew up in Wisconsin. Also... Ro-Sham-Bo has a completely different meaning to me so that was a little unexpected for me...

In case you're wondering I grew up with people referring to roshambo more along the lines of the first definition. Why anybody would play that game is beyond me.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:39 am UTC

Wow, I have never heard that definition of Ro-Sham-Bo.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:22 am UTC

We always played it as Rock-Paper-Scissors in Texas.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:34 am UTC

Real men play rock-rock-rock. It's called "punching".

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:11 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Real men play rock-rock-rock. It's called "punching".

Causes a stalemate. Cannot stop without naming a winner. Do they nap between showdowns? Does one become an imaginary man? Or do they wait until someone throws the book at them? Hrm...is a literal "book" necessary? Can you hurl a magazine, such as Time or Highlights? What happens if both are hurled? Do they stop and find out what is wrong in the picture of influential people?

(Calls it "Rock Paper Scissors", as previously documented by several other Americans.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:21 am UTC

Rock paper scissors, east coast Aussie.

Jan-ken-pon in japanese, but I have no idea what each translates to.

Also I've hard Americans call it "Fargling" but that's from QI, so no idea as to it's transatlantic accuracy. It's probably along the same lines as "Chewing" is masticating. IE: A word no one uses but sounds dirty and is great for entertaining 13 year old boys by sounding dirtier than it is.

Roshambo is a game where you kick each other in the crotch, although wikipedia backs up the RPS definition. I learnt roshambo from South Park though, which is less than reputable.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:29 am UTC

I've never heard "fargling" before. I've always heard it called "rock, paper, scissors". And I always assumed that roshambo was a different hand game, but according to Wikipedia, I'm wrong.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:55 am UTC

ConMan wrote:
EmptySet wrote:

So which part was that? I grew up in Sydney.

I'm from Sydney too. I'm thinking it may just be us who say "Scissors, Paper, Rock", because:

mrbaggins wrote:Rock paper scissors, east coast Aussie.

Wagga is only about 5 hours south of Sydney, so I'm thinking either Sydney's the only place that says it that way, or we're the southernmost city that says it that way.

SurgicalSteel wrote:Wow, I have never heard that definition of Ro-Sham-Bo.

Not a South Park fan?

Come to think of it, South Park is the only place I've heard "Ro-Sham-Bo". I always assumed they invented it.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:06 am UTC

does no one play ring of fire with a jug rule?
as in J for Jug, you have to put some of your drink into a jug in the centre, if you break the ring you must drink it.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:10 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:does no one play ring of fire with a jug rule?
as in J for Jug, you have to put some of your drink into a jug in the centre, if you break the ring you must drink it.

For ring of fire, I believe the standard is that the first 3 kings add to the jug (or glass) and the 4th king has to drink it.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:12 pm UTC

Every time I've played waterfall the rules change. To be fair, all those times where in uni so it could be put down to people bringing their versions up with them.

Honestly, if you're not already drunk when making up the rules, you're doing it wrong.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

Dason wrote:It's always been Rock-Paper-Scissors to me. Grew up in Wisconsin. Also... Ro-Sham-Bo has a completely different meaning to me so that was a little unexpected for me...

In case you're wondering I grew up with people referring to roshambo more along the lines of the first definition. Why anybody would play that game is beyond me.
Knowing the game as (whatever) and Roshambo is the only way this Deadpool Joke makes any sense.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:47 am UTC

Oflick wrote:Not a South Park fan?

Come to think of it, South Park is the only place I've heard "Ro-Sham-Bo". I always assumed they invented it.

Same.

I'm in Wagga now, where my friends (Yeah, I checked) all go Rock paper scissors. I grew up near near Tweed Heads though,and it wasthe same there.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:07 pm UTC

Ok, so in the US, houses are typically framed using 2x4s. I've heard in Canada, they typically use 2x6s, so there's more space for insulation. What about the rest of the world, with your crazy metric system and varied temperatures?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

hetas

Postby hetas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:05 pm UTC

Finland here. I think 2x4s are quite common but maybe someone with more expertise can correct me.

Just wanted to say that around here timber is usually measured in inches like 2x4, 2x6 and 2x2. Boards are referenced in mm also at least if there's a nice even conversion like 6in to 150mm.

Bu we do have these thin 15mm boards. I don't think that converts to inches nicely.

We use logs also. With or without outer boarding.

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 pm UTC

French houses are typically not made of wood. We are more into masonry.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Ok, so in the US, houses are typically framed using 2x4s. I've heard in Canada, they typically use 2x6s, so there's more space for insulation. What about the rest of the world, with your crazy metric system and varied temperatures?

As far as I'm aware, you've heard wrong. All the framing I've seen done here used 2x4s as well, and then foam sheathing over that for added insulation. Might be a thing in the extreme north, though.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:42 pm UTC

Grop wrote:French houses are typically not made of wood. We are more into masonry.

Same in Belgium.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:45 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
Grop wrote:French houses are typically not made of wood. We are more into masonry.

Same in Belgium.

I believe this applies to the UK as well, but this is based mainly on anecdotal evidence.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:58 pm UTC

According to my house, what we're really into is damp.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:54 am UTC

Yeah, no wooden buildings here either. In fact, I can never quite get used to them in other places. Unless they are extremely well-built, they feel slightly disposable to me, like a theater set.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:05 am UTC

Two questions coming from online gaming:
In LoL, I often see people saying "mdr" (I think they're generally French..) in a sort of insulting/sweary sort of context, but I haven't been able to find anything explaining it. I'm reasonably confident it's not a game-related term. Anyone know what they mean?
The other is from my time on the World of Tanks test servers, where I get to play with many, many Russians. They frequently use ")))" in chat (either at the end of a sentence or on its own). What's this about?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:16 am UTC

"mdr" is mort(e) de rire = dead of laughing, a.k.a. "rofl" or similar. I don't know the Russian one.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Return to “General”