Questions For The World

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

roband

Re: Questions For The World

Postby roband » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:13 am UTC

I have no bloody idea. Some tradition, I guess.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:56 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Hey, Brits! What's the deal with your lawyers, or barristers, dressing all old-timey? I'm sure I could google this, but I also want to know if you guys also think it's ridiculous, or if you think our American lawyers are uncivilized in their normal clothes.

It's just another part of the system designed to keep the commoners out*. As it is, I think it's ridiculous, and I think most people do as well.

*The theoretical actual answer I believe is that if everyone looks the same, it aids in the blindness of Justice. But as it stands, the systems is just geared towards rich kids getting in. Once you pass your law degree, you have to be "called" to the bar, which involves further unfunded education (not that this is particularly different elsewhere). But then to become a barrister, after you have successfully completed the bar you have to obtain a "pupillage" (read: unpaid internship) at a barrister's chambers (US translation: Practice) to be accredited as a barrister. And of course, on top of being unpaid, getting in generally involves having contacts in the chambers, which commoners do not. Oh, yes... the point being that you then have to buy your own robes and wig, which is like $1000 - while not being paid for a year's work.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

D.B.

Postby D.B. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:48 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:... but I also want to know if you guys also think it's ridiculous, or if you think our American lawyers are uncivilized in their normal clothes.

...can I answer neither?

It's just what barristers wear in the UK. I think it's approximately as ridiculous as any other profession which requires a particular dress code for historic reasons - i.e. I don't really care either way.

Besides which, don't US judges still wear their legal robes (making them demi-ridiculous)? Or has television been lying to me about that?

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:31 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:Hey, Brits! What's the deal with your lawyers, or barristers, dressing all old-timey? I'm sure I could google this, but I also want to know if you guys also think it's ridiculous, or if you think our American lawyers are uncivilized in their normal clothes.

As a Californian (man I'm getting a lot of use out of that lately), I find the idea that suits like lawyers wear are "normal clothes" to be old-timey.

(Then again I'm exceedingly casual even by California standards. I generally wear shirts in this or occasionally this cut, but usually in more subdued colors like blacks or browns, the former usually tucked into black slacks or jeans, the latter worn open over a plain tee in a similarly subdued coordinating color. Hang on a sec I got a voicemail.... ah man it's the 16th century, they want their fashion back).

I like wearing suits. It makes me feel professional (or at least, dressing up makes me feel slightly more qualified to pretend to be an adult).
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:48 pm UTC

D.B. wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:... but I also want to know if you guys also think it's ridiculous, or if you think our American lawyers are uncivilized in their normal clothes.

...can I answer neither?

It's just what barristers wear in the UK. I think it's approximately as ridiculous as any other profession which requires a particular dress code for historic reasons - i.e. I don't really care either way.

Besides which, don't US judges still wear their legal robes (making them demi-ridiculous)? Or has television been lying to me about that?

They do still wear the robes, but not the wigs, which I guess is the part I really don't get.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:05 pm UTC

You don't understand that a country that withdrew and declared independance from another might do something differently from the mother country?

....uhuh.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

roband

Postby roband » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:12 pm UTC

Wednesday wrote:You don't understand that a country that withdrew and declared independance from another might do something differently from the mother country?

....uhuh.

Who's that a reply to? Cos if it's US, that's a really unnecessary tone.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

I guess I see it as a little bit ridiculous, but not exceedingly so, because it's just a uniform. I don't think American lawyers are uncivilized for not wearing wigs either - it's no different than other professions that have similar but non-identical uniforms in different countries.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:42 pm UTC

roband wrote:
Wednesday wrote:You don't understand that a country that withdrew and declared independance from another might do something differently from the mother country?

....uhuh.

Who's that a reply to? Cos if it's US, that's a really unnecessary tone.

Also, not the point of the question at all.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

roband

Postby roband » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:57 pm UTC

Yeah, I was gonna get onto that if =today() replied.

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:58 pm UTC

Last time I went to a courthouse, lawyers were complaining about warmth ~ of course they were wearing robes in late June. They should be thankful not to wear wigs as well.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:45 pm UTC

D.B. wrote:Besides which, don't US judges still wear their legal robes (making them demi-ridiculous)? Or has television been lying to me about that?

Depends. While the televised trials I've seen to and the one family court thing I went to had a judge in robes, the traffic court crap I've been to (either because stupid reasons on my part OR relating to the accident I was in where the other person had no insurance and they kept summoning me for no reason - like the judge was like "So you don't need X? ... why are you here?") ... anyway, at the low-key stuff, the judges were wearing ... well, nicer than street clothes, not quite church clothes, maybe? I think I outdressed one of the judges as I was wearing a button-up shirt and khakis and I think he was in jeans.

So.... depends?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:02 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:

I guess I see it as a little bit ridiculous, but not exceedingly so, because it's just a uniform. I don't think American lawyers are uncivilized for not wearing wigs either - it's no different than other professions that have similar but non-identical uniforms in different countries.

Wigs?
What wigs?

If a person is at ease in their Uniform,
I don't notice it....

How could a person Not notice a bunch of guys running around on matching Hair Pieces?
Maybe, not all Europeans wear wigs while On Duty.

Why the heck did they Ever wear wigs??

A Robe? Yes.
A Robe covers a multitude of sins.

A wig? (gack)
ok. Explain it.

Do you share wigs?
Some Europeans share Robes.

It is frowned on for a person that is not qualified to wear one of those Robes to put one on and make speeches.

(tee hee) I am willing to bet, 'Unqualified persons have worn those Robes, 'In Chambers''.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

D.B.

Postby D.B. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Depends. While the televised trials I've seen to and the one family court thing I went to had a judge in robes, the traffic court crap I've been to (either because stupid reasons on my part OR relating to the accident I was in where the other person had no insurance and they kept summoning me for no reason - like the judge was like "So you don't need X? ... why are you here?") ... anyway, at the low-key stuff, the judges were wearing ... well, nicer than street clothes, not quite church clothes, maybe? I think I outdressed one of the judges as I was wearing a button-up shirt and khakis and I think he was in jeans.

So.... depends?

Okey doke. My dataset only consisted of google image search, judges in sitcoms and my own prejudices, which didn't feel like the most reliable in the world.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:04 pm UTC

If nothing else, when the judge knows they're going to be on the TV or there's going to be imagery of it.. then they probably get dressed up in the robes. Otherwise.. why bother?

Especially for Traffic Court?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:If nothing else, when the judge knows they're going to be on the TV or there's going to be imagery of it.. then they probably get dressed up in the robes. Otherwise.. why bother?

Especially for Traffic Court?

Why bother?
Good Grief!

!Because!
umm. Because, ummm.
Because, I like men in dresses.
I like everyone in dresses, sometimes.

Because, ummm.
Those Robes cover a multitude of sins.
I don't have to and I don't want to know anything about other people as individuals, sometimes.

When you put on that Uniform, you are not simply a naked beast, tooth and claw against nature.
With the wave of a hand the lives of others are made or broken, by the men and women in Uniform.

Some carry a gun.
Some carry a laptop.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:58 pm UTC

I've been in a court room twice, once in California and once in New York State. In California it was Juvenile Traffic Court, for driving without registration or insurance. Someone else I knew from school was also there for running a stop sign. The judge wore a robe. Maybe it was cold that day. The other time was jury selection, and I believe the judge just wore a button up shirt and slacks. Maybe a tie, I don't know. I was more concerned with getting out of jury duty, so I was intentionally not paying much attention.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Eomund

Postby Eomund » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:31 am UTC

I have a question for the Americans out there. What do you think of the term "Yankee"? Is it offensive? Is it okay if done in jest? And who does it describe? All Americans? Just New Englanders (or is that New Englishmen)?

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:42 am UTC

Eomund wrote:I have a question for the Americans out there. What do you think of the term "Yankee"? Is it offensive? Is it okay if done in jest? And who does it describe? All Americans? Just New Englanders (or is that New Englishmen)?

(shrug) It is not offensive to me.
I think of the term 'Yankee' as a North East word.

If used in conjunction with refusal of service or towing my car, then I get a little offended.
That word means nothing to me. Calling me a Bobcat is as meaningful.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:49 am UTC

In the Southeastern states, Yankee means someone from the North. When I was growing up at least, it had been used to describe people from the Union States, or geographically speaking, generally those states north of Kentucky and east of the Mississippi River. New England is a smaller geographic area, but someone from Ohio or Michigan could rightly be called a Yankee. The wikipedia article for Yankee describes it well.
When I was young, I recall some kids being offended by the idea of someone thinking they were Yankees or northerners. The South is known for being old-fashioned, or "traditional", and it's something I'm sure those kids got from their parents or grandparents, and is a mentality that dates back to the Civil War. Calling someone a Yankee was akin to calling someone a city slicker, or an outsider who doesn't understand local traditions or small-town Southern hospitality.
It has also been used to describe the way someone talks, with no insult intended (usually). If someone talks without a Southern accent around here, it can be said they "talk like a Yankee."

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:06 am UTC

As a Californian, I concur with addams. "Yankee" to my ear sounds like some kind of archaic and foreign classification that signifies a subdivision of people in another time and place but nothing at all in the here and now. It's be like if a modern Iranian called me a "farangi" because I'm white; what is this, the 14th century? (Though TIL modern Thai people still call people of European ancestry "farang". Huh).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:43 am UTC

As a Californian who's been living in the UK for the past couple years, I've occasionally been called a yankee here in jest, which I don't find offensive. But even if someone meant it as a genuine insult, I don't think I'd be particularly offended, as least not by the word itself. I essentially agree with addams and Pfhorrest that it just doesn't have much meaning behind it nowadays and so it's hard to take it seriously.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:55 am UTC

What about "Yank"?

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:35 pm UTC

roband wrote:What about "Yank"?

What about Bob?

Spoiler:
Don't call him Shirley.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:43 pm UTC

I have heard a story about an ad, maybe radio, maybe TV, in the UK just after World War II. It was for a bra, and touted that, "It could be undone by a quick yank."

Apparently this drew complaints from the American embassy, that it painted a bad picture of Americans, and (I suspect) particularly the US military.

The advertiser, in response to these complaints, changed the copy to: "It can be undone by a smart jerk."
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:33 pm UTC

There are three distinct usages of Yankee that I'm aware of, and none of them are seriously offensive, though some have offensive undertones.

Firstly, the term is applied (often self-applied) to a specific cultural group of rural New Englanders. If you hear people talk about a "Yankee accent" or "Maine/New Hampshire/Massachusetts Yankees" this is what they mean. Since this is the chosen name of a specifc group of people, there's nothing really offensive about this usage.

Secondly, the term is used by some Southerners (and the term is "The South", "southeastern United States" is pretty much only used for the benefit of foreigners who otherwise go wandering around wondering why New Mexico and Arizona aren't Southern) to apply to Americans from the northeast, or to any Americans not from the South. This usage actually can be sort of offensive, since it can carry some nasty stereotypes. Funny story: there's a tradition called a "Yankee Swap" in which all of the guests at a party bring a wrapped gift, and the gifts are unwrapped one by one with each subsequent participant having the option either to take a new gift or trade for one of the already opened gifts. You have to be careful when hosting a Yankee Swap with a mixture of Southerners and non-Southerners, though, because in the South, it's understood that the point of the Yankee Swap is to wrap up really crappy gifts (like used gym socks) and pawn them off on your friends, because everyone knows that all Yankees are rude, cheap, greedy, scheming bastards, amirite? The irony of the fact that only Southerners engage in this supposedly non-Southern behavior seems entirely lost on them.

Finally, the term is used by non-Americans to refer to all U.S. Americans. In English speaking countries it's Yankee or Yank, which is pretty benign, since it doesn't carry a whole lot of negative stereotypes. In Latin America you sometimes see Yanqui, which does carry a much stronger sense of "stupid foreigner who comes to our country and fucks everything up." This might be considered offensive, but given the long history of Americans coming into various Latin American countries and fucking everything up, I'm inclined to cut them some slack.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:30 pm UTC

Eomund wrote:I have a question for the Americans out there. What do you think of the term "Yankee"? Is it offensive? Is it okay if done in jest? And who does it describe? All Americans? Just New Englanders (or is that New Englishmen)?

It's a word not used seriously by people under the age of 60 in the US. At least of the subset "grew up here"

It can be offensive or not, depending on context.

Depends on the context, really. Much like it's perfectly fine to call your best friend "A fantastic shithead" but not at all acceptable to call a stranger that. If the relationship is such that you're fine with them calling you a Limey in jest, then it's probably fine to call the USAsian a Yankee.

It describes individuals from farther North than you. As a general rule, individuals north of the Mason-Dixon, Ohio River and/or Missouri Compromise, but which geographic areas spawn Yankees is going to change based on where you are. It's entirely possible there are individuals in Ohio who think of people from Pennsylvania as Yankees, people in Pennsylvania who think Yankees come from Vermont, and people in Vermont who think Yankees are from a specific region of Vermont. Or from New Hampshire. Or Maine.

roband wrote:What about "Yank"?

Oddly enough, that one makes me think it's a foreigner speaking of USAsians without entirely understanding the semantics of regional geography in the US ...which is completely fine - I'm genuinely surprised when foreigners understand Texas isn't quite The South/Dixie as looking at a map, it's the Southiest State to South... but.. like everything, it all depends on the context. At any rate, like the Limey thing, it depends on the context and how receptive the speaker is to being on the receiving end.

Re: Yankee Swap. Some know it as the White Elephant Exchange, Dirty Santa, or the even more offensive than Yankee Swap - the Chinese Auction. It's all basically the same game, but yeah.. I doubt you're going to find it under then name Yankee Swap anywhere but the South.... but you are going to find the game itself elsewhere.

And you probably aren't going to play Chinese Auction unless you've got some racist Grandparents or something.

firechicago

Postby firechicago » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Re: Yankee Swap. Some know it as the White Elephant Exchange, Dirty Santa, or the even more offensive than Yankee Swap - the Chinese Auction. It's all basically the same game, but yeah.. I doubt you're going to find it under then name Yankee Swap anywhere but the South.... but you are going to find the game itself elsewhere.

And you probably aren't going to play Chinese Auction unless you've got some racist Grandparents or something.

I was introduced to the term in the Boston area, and I've seen it enough places around here that I'm sure it's not just idiosyncratic to my group of friends. But in our usage there is a clear distinction between a Yankee Swap, in which people are supposed to bring nice, thoughtful gifts, usually of a specified value, and a White Elephant, which follows the same rules, but is a competition to bring the crappiest/most ridiculous gift. This has caused serious issues once or twice when a Southerner was invited to participate in a Yankee Swap, and only realized halfway through that they were going to look like a prime asshole when their gift was opened.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:36 pm UTC

The only perjorative use of YankeeI know of is when referring to the baseball team, or their fans.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:59 pm UTC

firechicago wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Re: Yankee Swap. Some know it as the White Elephant Exchange, Dirty Santa, or the even more offensive than Yankee Swap - the Chinese Auction. It's all basically the same game, but yeah.. I doubt you're going to find it under then name Yankee Swap anywhere but the South.... but you are going to find the game itself elsewhere.

I was introduced to the term in the Boston area, and I've seen it enough places around here that I'm sure it's not just idiosyncratic to my group of friends. But in our usage there is a clear distinction between a Yankee Swap, in which people are supposed to bring nice, thoughtful gifts, usually of a specified value, and a White Elephant, which follows the same rules, but is a competition to bring the crappiest/most ridiculous gift. This has caused serious issues once or twice when a Southerner was invited to participate in a Yankee Swap, and only realized halfway through that they were going to look like a prime asshole when their gift was opened.

I went to a White Elephant party, one time.
Most of us brought White Elephants.

There was No Internet!
We were guessing.

We were a people without a culture of our own.
The English conquered the world looking for something good to eat.
When they found India, they were done. They discovered Curry! yey.

The Americans are looking for culture?
When we find some; Will we be done?

I know! The Americans think they have culture.
The English thought they had food, too.

How would I know?
I took a white elephant to a White Elephant Party.
I, still, do not understand The Point.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:42 pm UTC

Californian again here. We always called that exchange a white elephant exchange, and it's usually agreed to mean nice gifts, normally within the 20-40 dollar range. My family participates in one of these at christmas time, because we aren't the richest of people, and buying gifts for everyone isn't always feasible.

I've never heard of it called anything other than a white elephant exchange.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:49 am UTC

I find "Yankee" as a pejorative about as offensive as I find "cracker" as a pejorative for white people.

Pretty much not offensive at all.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:35 am UTC

Yea, I'm gonna have to go with pretty much everyone else in this discussion and say it doesn't offend me at all. Though I've never actually been called one. I think if I was ever called one by some racist/homophobic twit for having "evil progressive/libtard views," I might be tempted to say "Thanks. You're right, I am better than you." But I probably wouldn't cause I'm not a fan of unnecessary confrontation.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:45 am UTC

I was a grown up adult person before I ever heard the word, 'Cracker' used that way.
It was explained to me. I forget. It makes some strange sense.

No.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(pejorative)
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/01/us/zimmer ... l-cracker/
Maybe, it makes no sense.

Cracker box houses, was one guess.
The Crack of a whip was another guess.
The flat shaped gluts was another guess.

Again; Why would anyone call me a Cracker?
That would be silly.

Offended? Nah. Again; If they are only using words and I can walk away.
Fuck 'em, if they don't like me. That is such a white attitude.

White people need thick skin.
Our everything else is thin.

I have heard the word Californian used in a way that made me cringe.
That is funny. It is often Ex-Californinans that do that.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:00 am UTC

With regards to Judges:

I generally see Judges in robes, but only when they're pretty much in court. Otherwise, they wear whatever (outside court chambers/sessions, usually a suit).

It's mostly a tradition thing. It's a plain black thing you put over your suit to distinguish yourself as the decider in the room (though Ruth Bader-Ginsburg adds the frilly things to hers).

With regards to the term "Yankee"

I think in depends.

With regards to the British saying it, it draws memory to the American Revolution, where the song "Yankee Doodle" was used to mock Americans. Americans, embracing self-deprecating humor, adopted it as a symbol of pride.

And then of course the South adopted it to address the North (often pejorative).

I don't think of it being used amazingly often in the modern era (at least where I'm from.

We do call it a "Yankee Swap" though, almost exclusively.

Otherwise, Yankee would be a negative term referring to a certain team of baseball players from New York (I'm from Boston).

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:27 am UTC

I have a Question for The World.

In the US there IS a political and social advertisement campaign that is nested within a larger advertisement campaign.
The Nested Campaign states that Creation vs Evolution is an important battle to be fought for all that is Right and Good.

Is that happening in other nations?
It seems so strange to me.
But it is True!

I think most people will live their lives not using much of that information.
Like Algebra. Only; Who says Algebra is not true?

That is weird and a little unnerving.
People are passionate about having the freedom to not know.

Why such passion?
What?? Are people bored or have they been told it is a big deal?

Are the people of the US being led back into the Cave?
Are other people of the World also rejecting the idea?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:34 am UTC

I don't believe there is any serious debate about creationism vs evolution in any of the European countries I've been to, or in Korea. There are some fringe groups, at least in the UK, that try to insist that creationism be taught, but mostly everyone ignores them, and they are prevented them from actually teaching it.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:06 am UTC

There's nothing like that that I've ever encountered in Japan; it's not a Christian country after all.
I think there is more of a movement like that back in Australia, but I haven't lived there for so long that I'm really not sure. I'd bet it was not on a US scale even if it did exist, though.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:31 am UTC

Thank you.
Huh?

Does it matter a great deal?
The human mind is huge.
The more that is in it the larger it gets.

The human mind a bucket that grows to fit the contents.

If the children learn the Seven Days of Creation, the Seven Dwarfs, the Nine Times Tables, their Address and Phone Number, the Nine Reindeer plus two, and the age and weight of their mothers, then they will have busy and full little minds.
When the day comes that that little mind wants to know the difference between DNA and RNA there will be plenty of room inside.

In the US it is problematic because the rejection of objective data by voting adults may have devastating effects on the lives of others.
Once upon a time I heard the words, "Knowedge is Power".

Inside the US Broadcast Media, "Ignorance is Power" seems to be the working model.
This kind of ignorance is not bliss.

oh! If quarried many respond with, "Power is Power".
That is the good ole' "Might Makes Right".

I am very pleased that the rest of the world is keeping the lights on.
Not everyone needs to understand how Mendel's Peas work.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Mendel' ... 80&bih=738

It does not seem that hard to me; Now.
It was hard once upon a time.

If people don't want to pour over books and take tests they have a right to be happy, anyway.
They seem to Want to be miserable.

"Stop talking about Monkeys!" they yell.
"Peas are not monkeys." is all I can think of in responds.

Besides. I think we are part Fish!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

firechicago

Postby firechicago » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:33 am UTC

Suzaku wrote:There's nothing like that that I've ever encountered in Japan; it's not a Christian country after all.

In fairness, neither is Turkey, but it also has a significant creationist movement.

Return to “General”