Questions For The World

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

oxoiron

Re: Questions For The World

Postby oxoiron » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:00 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Oraiste wrote:Ok, since we're on the topic of food: I've got 3 small avocados. I bought them to eat as snacks by themselves, which, though an excellent way to consume avocados, seems a little boring. What else can I do with them, apart from the obvious "make guacamole" or "add to a salad"?
  • Halve one
  • Remove the pit
  • Use a spoon to remove the skin from the meat, keeping the meat intact
  • Fill the resulting depression with a mound of cooked white rice
  • Top with a couple slices of cheddar cheese
  • Microwave for a few seconds just to melt the cheese
  • Salt to taste
  • Throw the entire thing in the compost, because avocados are disgusting!

EDIT: two page-toppers in a row
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:13 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:The rule of thumb that I like to use is if it tastes salty after salting then your food (unless it's something like popcorn or pretzels) is over-salted. For avocado I'd say that salting is very much optional though. The analogy I like to use with salt is that undersalted food tastes blurred, and salt just brings the existing flavours into focus without adding its own flavour.

Yeah, it tasted too salty on the surface where I added the salt, though I don't think dabbing it was too salty, per se... it just didn't taste any better than plain avocado. I know different people require different levels of seasoning in their food, but it sounds like some people can't taste avocado at all unless they unlock the flavour with salt.

Oxoiron, you're clearly not adding enough salt to yours.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:20 pm UTC

Oraiste wrote:Oxoiron, you're clearly not adding enough salt to yours.

Or he lives far from an avocado growing region. Hard or brused avocados are really gross, but a good, creamy, fresh one is just fantastic. Most of the people I have met that "don't like avocados" are from more inland states, or where it's very cold, and have probably never had a good avocado.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:25 pm UTC

I dunno, mine aren't fresh either; the packaging says they've been imported from Israel. (I'm in the UK, where I presume it's too cold to grow them.)

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:33 pm UTC

Oraiste wrote:I dunno, mine aren't fresh either; the packaging says they've been imported from Israel. (I'm in the UK, where I presume it's too cold to grow them.)

You can grow them inside from the pits of the ones you get in the store (unless you have cats. Little bastards eat every seedling I've ever managed to grow).
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
not really Deadpool.

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:38 pm UTC

I know, and I've been tempted to try! But I have no experience growing plants. Can an adult avocado tree be kept indoors? Would it survive long enough to produce fruit? Would it even produce fruit at all by itself?

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:46 pm UTC

Oraiste wrote:I know, and I've been tempted to try! But I have no experience growing plants. Can an adult avocado tree be kept indoors? Would it survive long enough to produce fruit? Would it even produce fruit at all by itself?

Yes, the adult tress can be kept inside, but you need to keep it reasonably trimmed and in a rather large container. They also dry out really fast, so make sure to keep plenty of water to it. You ought to be able to get fruit in 2-4 years, so long as it stays healthy.
not really Deadpool.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:13 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
Oraiste wrote:I know, and I've been tempted to try! But I have no experience growing plants. Can an adult avocado tree be kept indoors? Would it survive long enough to produce fruit? Would it even produce fruit at all by itself?

Yes, the adult tress can be kept inside, but you need to keep it reasonably trimmed and in a rather large container. They also dry out really fast, so make sure to keep plenty of water to it. You ought to be able to get fruit in 2-4 years, so long as it stays healthy.

This...depends.

Problem #1: Only a minor problem, but one none-the-less is that avocados are not true to seed, meaning if you plant the pit, who knows what kind of avocado you're going to get. All avocado trees that you buy at a store are grafted much like apples, citrus, stonefruit, etc.
Problem #2: Most avocados are not self-fertile. Even though the tree itself is both male and female, the flowers open as male or female on a two day cycle. 'A' cultivar flowers open as female on the morning of the first day and close in late morning or early afternoon, they then open as male in the afternoon of the second day. 'B' varieties open as female on the afternoon of the first day, close in late afternoon and reopen as male the following morning. This causes you to need an 'A' and 'B' variety in your orchard in order to get avocados. If you are planting from seed, who knows what you're going to get.
Problem #3: Grafted trees can produce in 2-4 years (if you winterize them in a walk in), but from seed you're looking at 6-8 years.

Some trees can get really big. so a greenhouse might be better than 'indoors.' A tree (likely a Reed avocado) I used to get avocados from in San Diego was taller than the 3-story victorian who's yard it was sitting in.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:27 pm UTC

Good to know. AS I said, i can't get the damn things to grow because my cats keep eating the seedlings.
not really Deadpool.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:16 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Quercus, you wouldn't happen to be in Isla Vista would you? EDIT: Apparently Pita Pit is a chain restaurant, not a local IV thing. Who knew. Never seen one anywhere else.

There's one in SLO. I didn't know it was a chain until I saw one in San Diego once.

Huh, I've never noticed the SLO one even though I used to spend lots of time up there. Looks like it's in a part of town I never visited frequently though, so not surprised.

Other places I didn't know where chains until I moved around more:
Woodstock's Pizza
Mountain Mike's Pizza
Foster's Freeze
Adalberto's (this one only has two locations, San Diego and Sacramento O.o)

I also thought Woodstock's was a local Isla Vista thing! Foster's Freeze is freakin' everywhere though. Never heard of the others.

Things that are not chains despite appearances to the contrary:
Freebirds.

There is a "Freeb!rds" chain which was originally founded by one of the founders of the real one and only Freebirds, and turned into a chain by some damn Texans. But Freeb!rds is not Freebirds.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:57 am UTC

Are you currently in IV Pfhorrest? I grew up in SB and spent a lot of time in IV as a teen.

Pfhorrest wrote:Things that are not chains despite appearances to the contrary:
Freebirds.
True. I miss Freebirds. I'm pretty sure they're the progenitor of the gigantor burrito trend.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:38 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Are you currently in IV Pfhorrest? I grew up in SB and spent a lot of time in IV as a teen.

No, I've never actually lived in IV proper (thank god), but I went to UCSB and lived nearby in Goleta for a decade and am originally from the general area anyway and now back in my hometown in Ojai.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:17 am UTC

Quercus wrote:There's a place near me called Pitta Pit, which is effectively Subway for pitta bread. This means you get both hummus and halloumi, which are two of my most favourite things to put on a sandwich. Fresh pitta bread is also far superior to that squidgy, soft, crust-less stuff Subway likes to call bread.

There's a national bakery chain called Great Harvest Bread Company that I used to go to at least once a week when I lived in Anchorage (we have a couple locations here in Hawaii but the sandwich opens are seriously lacking and depressing). I'd almost always get hummus and sprouts on my sandwiches. Damn, do I miss that bread...
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:44 pm UTC

A question occurred to me recently, and I can't seem to google it in a satisfactory way: has anyone ever made an ultra-hard SF movie (I'm thinking of Charles Sheffield or Stephen Baxter in his "NASA" mode levels of hardness)?

I suspect that the answer is no, because most people would be bored to tears by it, so failing an affirmative answer, what is the hardest SF movie you know of?*

The best I can think of is Apollo 13, which while not strictly SF, is about space, so gets an honorary membership.

* For the purposes of this discussion hardness = technical detail combined with scientific plausibility.

New User

Postby New User » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:04 pm UTC

I saw a thread all about this science fiction stuff over at the Movies and TV Shows subforum. Here is the thread.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:20 pm UTC

New User wrote:I saw a thread all about this science fiction stuff over at the Movies and TV Shows subforum. Here is the thread.

Oops, should have run a search first. Thanks for the link - I'll continue over there.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:22 pm UTC

How large would San Francisco, California be, if you flattened it out?

If it can be done, people will do it.
Somewhere on the internet, someone has figured it out.

Is San Francisco larger than the Netherlands?
By how much?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:51 pm UTC

oxoiron wrote:Throw the entire thing in the compost, because avocados are disgusting![/list]

EDIT: two page-toppers in a row

Are you sure you are not muddling avocados up with celery? Or possibly Marmite?

(let battle commence...)
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:53 pm UTC

Avocados are sort of like bananas, said few people ever. Nevertheless: the flavour can be great or meh, depending on the variety/ripeness/seasonality, and the texture is entirely a matter of personal taste. Some people don't like the way avocananas feel like a pat of butter in the mouth. Some people love that.

I'm on the "sort of great" side of things for both. I rarely buy avocados because I can't get through a whole one in the brief period when it's at its best, and I tend to eat bananas only when they're chopped up into my oatmeal. They're just too big of a sugar commitment on their own.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:11 pm UTC

Solution: eat butter.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:14 pm UTC

I'm a child of the 70's when (at least in the UK), avocados were invented. If you grew up in Britain then you believe that the avocado was genetically engineered in 1973, whereupon we all had our bathrooms sprayed that colour.

I'm in the 'avocado is a food of the Gods' camp, whilst also believing that marmite is scraped from Satan's arse, and that celery is grown in Marmite. I also enjoyed (and agreed with) the question today on Radio 4's 'Kitchen Cabinet': "Goat's cheese: why?"
Spoiler:

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:19 pm UTC

Now you have truly gone too far. I was with you on marmite and celery. But goat's cheese? How dare you!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:21 pm UTC

I think my mother still has some avocado-(sort-of-)coloured TupperwareTM press-n-seal kitchen containers from 1974. In fact, I'm sure she does. They hold the flour that probably should have been used up two years ago, and the brown sugar that takes a jackhammer to separate.
TEAM SHIVAHN

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:31 pm UTC

Ah, yes, avocado kitchen items. In my mother's kitchen that tends to carbon date the contents to the mid 1970s.
bentheimmigrant wrote:Now you have truly gone too far. I was with you on marmite and celery. But goat's cheese? How dare you!

In my family it's known as 'goats ming' by everyone other than my wife, who loves it but has weird tastes. As evidence I point out that she was prepared to marry me.
Spoiler:

New User

Postby New User » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

Goat's cheese is made from a goat's milk, instead of from a cow's milk like most cheese?

I've never tried it, but I have no reason to believe that there cannot be as many varied flavours and textures as with cheese made from a cow's milk. So what's not to like? Maybe it's just a matter of finding the variety that pleases you.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:47 pm UTC

Avocado: yes please. With lots of salt. Preferably mashed and also with lemon and other seasoning. So guacamole. But avocado is fine too.

Banana: whatever, take it or leave it.

Marmite: if it's anything like vegemite, then it's interesting but not something I especially want or need.

Celery: no thank you.

Goat cheese: fuck yeah.

...goat cheese and avocado could probably be combined in some kind of delicious way. I know avocado and cheese go great together on nachos. Not that I would put goat cheese on nachos.

....or would I? Hmm...

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:54 pm UTC

Apparently the thing with industrially produced goats cheese is that transporting the goats milk shakes it up and activates the enzymes in the the milk. The net result is that the cheese smells of goat. Now, I like goats (in a purely non-physical way, you understand) but the smell-to-taste thing doesn't work for me.
Spoiler:

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:56 pm UTC

Goat cheese is indeed made with goat's milk. If you like goat's milk, you stand a decent chance of liking goat cheese. I happen to think that goat cheese tastes the way goats smell, so I'm not a fan. (Then again, I feel the same way about all but the blandest of cow cheese too. Comes from being vegetarian for way too long, perhaps.)

Ninja'd quite effectively by the puppy.
TEAM SHIVAHN

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:57 pm UTC

I once had an "artisan" goat's cheese, which was very mature, and was coated in ash. It was still amazing. Except the ash. You had to leave that part.

Wookey Hole make a goats cheese that is quite similar to cheddar. Also nice.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:05 pm UTC

Goats cheese - yes please
Marmite - yes please
Avocado - yes please
Celery - yes please
Almost any reasonable quality foodstuff - yes please

I am a person of broad taste when it comes to food, which, as much as anything else, is very convenient when eating out.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:10 pm UTC

Is this a Turing test? If so, I call you.
Spoiler:

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:24 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:Is this a Turing test? If so, I call you.

I've been at a wedding today. I'm not exactly awake or sober enough to pass a Turing test right now. But I do like all those foods.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:45 pm UTC

I don't like Goat.
I don't mind the smell of a clean, living, damn near dangerous she-Goat.

I don't like the smell of he-Goat. The meat and milk taste of he-Goat. (yuck)
I'll eat it without a flinch, if I must. If it is what everyone else is eating.

I don't like venison.
Venison was and still is served often, here.

It was a common food when I was young.
Now, it is considered classy or edgy. (shrug)

I do like beef.
I do like elk.

Elk and beef are similar.
Elk is sweeter and lean.

oh..Elk are common, here.
Elk are easily habituated to humans.

There are a bunch of rules about hunting them.
I think that might be because they are so easy.

Except, in the fall.
In the fall, the males turn mean and will hunt down and Stomp a human.

I used to like to tease them.
That's a game for a fast young person.

The locals say, that game weeds out the slow, stupid and unlucky.
It's not true. The slow, stupid and unlucky never see a living Elk.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:31 am UTC

Jumble wrote:Apparently the thing with industrially produced goats cheese is that transporting the goats milk shakes it up and activates the enzymes in the the milk. The net result is that the cheese smells of goat. Now, I like goats (in a purely non-physical way, you understand) but the smell-to-taste thing doesn't work for me.

This is interesting news to me, as I associate smelling of goat with expensive, rather than cheap, goat cheese.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:01 am UTC

I eat goat cheese quite frequently; it doesn't typically smells like a goat.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:09 am UTC

I've never noticed goats cheese smelling like goat. However, I've heard some people swear they can tell the difference between mutton and goat by the smell (personally, I've always felt this was like telling the difference between coke and pepsi), but who knows. Maybe some people are more sensitive to goat.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:43 am UTC

Angua wrote:I've never noticed goats cheese smelling like goat. However, I've heard some people swear they can tell the difference between mutton and goat by the smell (personally, I've always felt this was like telling the difference between coke and pepsi), but who knows. Maybe some people are more sensitive to goat.

I don't know about mutton, but the goat scent and flavour in our goat meat is quite noticeable when you know what goat smells like.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:30 am UTC

Mutton has quite a distinctive flavour as well though.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:47 am UTC

We need to set up blind smell tests to see if people can tell the difference between sheep and goats.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:58 am UTC

At home, tourists can't tell the difference between by sight sheep and goats. It's quite amusing.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “General”