Who owns a suit?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Who owns a suit?

I do!
76%
I don't!
15%
I'm a girl and refuse to wear suits!
3%
I have an otter/duck instead!
6%

Total votes: 198

Neris

Re: Who owns a suit?

Postby Neris » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

I have one! Only cost me $200 bucks cause I got it at a petite store at a mall. Its great when I actually find pants that doesn't drag on the floor w/ or w/o heels on.
"My God, man! Do they want tea?"
"No, I think they're after something more than that, sir. I don't know what it is, but they've brought a flag."

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

I just got one! And by just got one, I mean that the alterations still have to be done. It's sweet, however. Charcoal, and it fits me.
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:14 am UTC

I've got a navy suit with very, very subtle yellow pinstripes (how can yellow stripes on navy be subtle? Beats me. But they are). I wear it with a white shirt and a pink tie to major events, and I'm usually the best-dressed guy there. Protip: replace the red "power tie" with a nice pink one. You'll slay.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

Red power ties are overrated. I usually go with shades of grey (with dark shirts) or blue (with lighter ones).

Navy suits are the best -- they actually make me look like a young person in a suit, as opposed to charcoal/black suits, which for some reason remind me of fat german politicians.

My mind makes odd associations at times...
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

I own one suit. I use it for interviews and weddings. Or sometimes I will just wear jeans a t-shirt and a suit jacket. looks good.

Darkly

Postby Darkly » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

Do tuxedos count as suits? I'm in an orchestra...

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

lazarus89 wrote:Red power ties are overrated. I usually go with shades of grey (with dark shirts) or blue (with lighter ones).

Navy suits are the best -- they actually make me look like a young person in a suit, as opposed to charcoal/black suits, which for some reason remind me of fat german politicians.

My mind makes odd associations at times...

Navy suits are indeed the best bet in that they are the most diverse, and, dammit, they look awesome. Generally it's recommended that people buy navy for their first suit and grey for their second -- sometimes that's reversed, but it certainly shouldn't be.

How dark are the "shades of grey" ties you're pairing with dark shirts?

Also,

Darkly wrote:Do tuxedos count as suits? I'm in an orchestra...

Nope. Not that it isn't frickin' sweet that you own a tux (I've always wanted one but can't justify the cost, because 1) I would insist on a good one, and 2) I'm not likely to be in very many weddings from here on out), but it's not the same as a suit. Tuxedos are "formal," suits slightly less so.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

Okita wrote:Yeah, I own a suit..

And some smooth moves.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

I own a black suit. I used it for prom and my cousin's wedding, but it's too formal for most uses. Not that I need a suit that often anyway. For interviews I usually wear a shirt, but so far I've only been to interviews for student jobs (fast-food restaurants and such).

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

@clintonius: my rule of thumb is that the darker the shirt, the lighter the tie, with the proviso that you can't wear light grey ties with navy suits. Most of my shirts are fairly dark -- I figure I'll move on to the lighter shirts when I'm older.

@SecondTalon: dude... those videos are all kinds of epic.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

Puck

Postby Puck » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

I have one in black pinstripe and one in navy. Plus a tux, which isn't technically mine, but which I have worn more times than all other suits/jackets I've ever had, put together. That happens when you are in a barbershop chorus.

I love wearing my suits. I feel much more comfortable with my fashion sense in "dressy" situations than in casual ones. (I hate picking out clothes to wear to a friend's bbq, for instance.)
22/7 wrote:If I could have an alternate horn that would yell "If you use your turn signal, I'll let you in" loud enough to hear inside another car, I would pay nearly any amount of money for it.

atrus50

Postby atrus50 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

Hey,

Indeed i've got one.
i like it, because it keeps me warm and looks spiffy.
also is weird shade of black- it's hard to find good pants for it.

best thanks and regards,
atrus50

edit- i think it's this one-
Attachments
suit.jpg
suit
suit.jpg (9.59 KiB) Viewed 2830 times

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

lazarus89 wrote:my rule of thumb is that the darker the shirt, the lighter the tie, with the proviso that you can't wear light grey ties with navy suits. Most of my shirts are fairly dark -- I figure I'll move on to the lighter shirts when I'm older.

When you first said grey on dark I had this horrible, horrible vision of a black suit with a black shirt and a dark grey tie, and was going to beg you to stop dressing like a bouncer. Glad to hear you've got better taste than my interpretation led me to believe.

Also, I'll echo your amazement at those videos. Methinks that's some of the sweetest shit I've ever seen.

atrus50 wrote:also is weird shade of black- it's hard to find good pants for it.

As a clarification, if you've got to find pants for it, it's not a suit -- it's a sports jacket or a blazer. Suit = jacket and pants, and sometimes a vest, cut from the same bolt of cloth. I'd actually recommend you steer clear from trying to match a jacket and a pair of pants that didn't come together, as the color and texture will not match up and it'll look a tad "off." Best to pair the jacket with a pair of pants that look nice but are clearly not trying to match -- blue jacket and khaki or grey pants, for instance.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

When you first said grey on dark I had this horrible, horrible vision of a black suit with a black shirt ...

What a marvelous idea... why didn't I didn't think of that?

Awesomely.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:23 am UTC

My hair's about a year and a half shorter here than it is now, but hey, I've got a suit =D
Of course, this was before I got my fedora, which I always wear with my suit.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

wst

Postby wst » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:53 am UTC

lazarus89 wrote:
When you first said grey on dark I had this horrible, horrible vision of a black suit with a black shirt ...

What a marvelous idea... why didn't I didn't think of that?

Get a white tie and learn the violin!
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

Expensive and beautiful silk panty garments—for everyone!
I mean, suits! Everyone loves a good suit. Me, on the right:
lazarus89 wrote:@SecondTalon: dude... those videos are all kinds of epic.

I find it funny how many people are probably assuming it's not Okita in the picture and videos.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:19 am UTC

I have a suit. I also have a longcoat and a nice hat.

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:40 am UTC

I got a hand me down from my dad after he lost a bunch of weight, so the pants don't fit, but the jacket's shoulders fit me perfectly! and the pants had moth wholes in the crotch I had to sew up (looks crappy, but only if you stare :wink: ). I really want to get a new one, though, I just got some men's handkerchiefs for my birfday.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:21 pm UTC

I have a hand-me-down suit from my grandfather, which is just a little large, pantswise. I wear it with a belt, and it's fine.

I also have a top-hat, cane, and gentleman's gloves that I got from a tuxedo store when I rented a tux for a school function senior year, which I wear with my trenchcoat. It's an epic ensemble, and comes off as steampunk-formal to the max.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Qwake

Postby Qwake » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

DaMullet wrote:I have a hand-me-down suit from my grandfather, which is just a little large, pantswise. I wear it with a belt, and it's fine.

That's funny, I have the opposite problem with my Dad's old suit. It's a nice wool three piece which he got for his wedding. Embarrassingly he was almost ten years older than I am now when he got the suit and it's rather snug about my bottom. Le sigh.
If you expect a kick in the balls
and you get a slap in the face,
it's a victory.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

I'm on my third suit now (keep growing out of them lol) and I have a Dinner suit*. I also have bunch of jackets and about a dozen ties. Theres a grey number with black lapels I may have to have in topman right now; I can part with £100 for that, right?

I love wearing suits so much, especially since the ones I own now seem to fit me better every time I wear them. I hate buying off the rack though, every store has different sizing and shapes for the same chest size.
My main problem is that my shoulders and neck are disproptionately large for my chest, so I have to buy shirts and jackets larger than I should so I don't have my shoulders forced backwards or choke to death. Damn I just want to walk onto Saville Row with ten grand in my pocket; no Italian designer can even come close to tailoring like that.

I get unreasonably pissy about the way a tie is knotted. I can't fucking stand the ridiculous huge knots that young guys do, they look like utter tools. Same applies with wearing a normal Black silk tie instead of a bow-tie with a Dinner suit.

Dinner suit.
Spoiler:

It appears the other photos of me in suits have been delivered.

*A dinner suit is the proper name for a tuxedo. The term "Tuxedo" is a nickname derived from a popular nightclub called 'the Tuxedo club' in New York in 1920s.

At some point I'm gonna lose it, burn all my jeans, trainers & T-shirts and just wear suits for the rest of my life.

EDIT: HOLY MOTHERLOADING HELL I look young in that photo. Christ that was about a year ago!
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

Amen, sir. I think I may be the only teenager in America who is a proponent of coattails.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

DaMullet wrote:Amen, sir. I think I may be the only teenager in America who is a proponent of coattails.

You'd be wrong, but unfortunately, I have no coattails anyway.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Hyperfried

Postby Hyperfried » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

I own a suit... but we're not talking tux-suit. Not formal formal. Just a simple double-breasted thing 'n some dark pants, with mix-'n-match tie and shirt. I think that qualifies. Still, when you debate... you need to know how to look snazzy. :wink:
In the end, physics always has the last laugh.

Defenestrate! ~ A blog of epic proportions.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

Darkly wrote:Do tuxedos count as suits? I'm in an orchestra...

hey same :D

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:56 am UTC

I now own a suit that fits again... I am part of the majority!

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:43 am UTC

mark twain wrote:when you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to reconsider your position.
It rains on the enemy too!

Montrose

Postby Montrose » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:02 am UTC

pkuky wrote:
mark twain wrote:when you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to reconsider your position.

Of course, there are points where that fails. For example, a majority of humans believe that being alive is good and would like to live for a long time. On pondering this, Mark Twain immediately used his psychic powers to summon Halley's Comet, causing his own death.

I have a black suit that I wear sometimes, and an off-white linen suit that I wear when I feel like it.

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:29 am UTC

i have army dress greens.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:20 am UTC

I have a well-matching pair of black sportcoat and slacks, but no real "suit." I think they're quite nifty, but as a female with a nonformal job, I can't justify that purchase to myself right yet. :(

Return to “General”