Post your eyesight!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: Post your eyesight!

Postby Moo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:04 am UTC

I was 21 when I had it done and it was the last year I would be on my dad's medical insurance, who paid for it, so it wasn't that early and waiting wasn't a real option.

And thank you for contradicting me everyone (although I'm a little curious about Gojoe's "lovely body" comment ... :) ... ??)

I don't mind, it's been 8 years and I've noticed a slight change for the first time. It's still infinitely preferable to not even being able to stumble to the loo and back to bed in the middle of the night without your glasses because you can see so little in front of you.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:08 am UTC

stolid wrote:Anyone here have Glaucoma? How bad is yours?

I don't have it yet, but most of my family does. I'm not sure anyone has it very severely, but I know they take eyedrops daily and can experience a lot of discomfort if they don't.

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

Fun Fact: A little known side-effect of Glaucoma is the ability to kill people with your brain.
Have you given up?

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

At my last check, I was -6.5 in my right, and -7.5 in my left. That was about two years ago though, but it hadn't changed at all in the year before that.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

embernator

Postby embernator » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

My right eye is just barely farsighted with a very slight astigmatism, my left is 20/200 (that means so nearsighted it may as well be blind, right?)

What ends up hapening is there's a rage of about half a meter from my face where my brain only really takes into account what my left eye sees and I can see fine, then whatever distance that neither eye can focus, then the far-sighted eye takes over and I can see fine again. Don't you just love how well the brain can adapt to things? It took the optomitrists (spelling?) forever to figure it out, and as a result I'm too compensated and it'd be nearly impossible for me to adjust to glasses or contacts without a lot of suffering at this point.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

I used to have 20/8 vision, but that was when I was little. The last time I was tested I was around 20/16. Now my vision isn't nearly as good, and I wonder whether it's sitting around 20/20 or if my vision has gotten worse. Damn work and staring at computer screens all day...

Now that I have health insurance... glasses? That would be interesting.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

reflectia

Postby reflectia » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

-3 in left, -2.5 in right (it actually used to be -3, but it got better), astigmatism in both.
I accidentally divided by zero and my paper burst into flames.

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:10 pm UTC

I can't read any text on here if I'm more than a foot away from my monitor without my glasses. I have no idea what my vision is though. My mom has somewhere around 20/400 or 20/500. She basically can't see without her glasses/contacts.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:46 am UTC

-0 in my left (?) and -.5 or -.25 in my right (?)
I used to wear glasses, as I saw double as a little child, but then I moved to contacts a year and a half ago or so. Well, contact.
But the problem is, I haven't worn the contact in so long I'm not actually sure which eye I should put it in any more. I'm almost positive the contact should go in my right, though.
This is bad, isn't it.

soniku64

Postby soniku64 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:My eyesight is so bad. It's like, 20/220. Which means that I can read text 20' away which a normal person can read at 220' away. I think that's what it means.

I am pretty sure 20/220 is legally blind.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

20/200 is the cutoff for getting blind person discounts/cards etc in Australia.

And that means you can distinguish a 200pt font at 20 feet, whereas 20/20 can distinguish a 20pt font at that distance.

Distinguish meaning to reliably discern which letter of the alphabet you are looking at.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

Dunno if I've posted before but:

Left eye is shit without glasses, things become vague blobs of color at 10 feet, can't see past about 20 feet. Not even motion.
Right eye is much better. Can see individual tree branches at 200 feet or so.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby Cherry Kiss » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:51 am UTC

Wombat wrote:Dunno if I've posted before but:

Left eye is shit without glasses, things become vague blobs of color at 10 feet, can't see past about 20 feet. Not even motion.

Oh mine is kinda the same, only opposite. My right eye cant see decifer many details 10 feet away and well nothing after that. my left eye is much better, but not that good. Also, one eye is near sighted, the other is far sighted, and i have astigmatisms in both.
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:00 am UTC

Cherry Kiss wrote:
Wombat wrote:Dunno if I've posted before but:

Oh mine is kinda the same, only opposite. My right eye cant see decipher many details 10 feet away and well nothing after that. my left eye is much better, but not that good. Also, one eye is near sighted, the other is far sighted, and i have astigmatisms in both.

That...

You just described my eyesight.

I need glasses.

>.>

I wonder how much glasses cost? I get a 30% student discount if I get an NUS card.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby Cherry Kiss » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:06 am UTC

Well i don't know where you are, but here in FL, without health insurance its like 70$ for an exam, 100$ for lenses, and then the cost of frames.
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:32 am UTC

soniku64 wrote:
joeframbach wrote:My eyesight is so bad. It's like, 20/220. Which means that I can read text 20' away which a normal person can read at 220' away. I think that's what it means.

I am pretty sure 20/220 is legally blind.

With glasses. There is no such thing as "legally blind without your glasses" because legally blind refers to corrected vision.

And repeated, because everyone seems to get it wrong and I'm feeling cranky and tired right now: There is no such thing as "legally blind without your glasses" because legally blind refers to corrected vision.

(I think 20/200 is "can't see the big E", and seriously, who actually can? (as far as people who don't go anywhere without their glasses))
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:35 am UTC

Hmm. Are you trying to tell us that there is no such thing as "legally blind without your glasses," because legally blind refers to corrected vision?
Have you given up?

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:09 am UTC

Depending on the chart, the big E (or often A) is either 20/200 or 20/400

And yeah, it's being unable to say what letter of the alphabet it is.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Return to “General”