Money-saving ideas

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Amoeba

Money-saving ideas

Postby Amoeba » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

Post your tricks for saving money here! It doesn't matter how obvious they seem or how small an amount they save; some of us are poor and thick...

My contribution: Freeze your bread and only defrost slices as you use them. It only takes a few minutes for individual slices to defrost on a plate, and it means the loaf doesn't go mouldy. If you're really in a hurry or particularly like soggy bread, you can microwave them, I guess.
Jesus Christ you have confused me

CVSoul

Re: Money-saving ideas

Postby CVSoul » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

If you use air conditioning, don't use the bathroom fan.
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:39 am UTC

This would have been the correct thread to point out that bus tickets (which often don't expire) tend to be cheaper than paying when you actually get on the bus.

Other little things I do to save money (mostly obvious, but meh):
  • Don't buy napkins, ketchup, etc. Just take one or two more than you need whenever you eat out and keep them. You could also stuff copious amounts of toilet paper in your pockets in public washrooms, but those tend to use 1-ply, which isn't worth taking. <_<
  • Walk. :P It's good for you.
  • Buy cases of pop/bottled water and canned soup and bring them to work, school, etc. Much cheaper than buying on the spot.
  • Get a flash cart for your DS and use it as a music player and PDA. Beats the hell out of dedicated devices in price.
  • Buy headphones with a replaceable cable. For me the cable breaks long before anything else, and it's nice to be able to replace that for $10 instead of the whole set for $50+.
  • Shop around for your electronics and computer accessories; prices vary drastically between stores.
  • If you're just hanging around at home, it doesn't really matter if your clothes are worn out or have holes in them does it? Wear your good clothes when you actually go outside, don't bother wearing them out when nobody's going to see them anyway.
  • If you have a space heater or fan in your bedroom, plug it into a timer. Have it shut off during the night and come back on just before the alarm clock. No sense having them on when you're fast asleep under your blankets, except in extreme cases.
  • Sleeping bags will keep you warm far better than ordinary blankets.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

eristic
Mmm, superhero brains! Nom nom nom...

Postby eristic » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:48 am UTC

- Buy frozen food. Its usually cheaper than the alternative. Doesn't have to be frozen dinners, but frozen vegetables and meats are where you save lots

- Always check craigslist for furniture before you head to IKEA. People are always getting rid of stuff.

- Pay attention to which grocery stores sell cheaper, don't just go to the nearest one. A good one to look for (if you live in the U.S.) is "Food 4 Less" & "Shoppers"

- Torrent music, screw Apple

- Travel by bus if possible, it does cost you some more time but it is much much more cheaper than driving.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Clerria wrote:
eristic wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

Haikus are simple
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

TheMagicalTurtle

Postby TheMagicalTurtle » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Bike instead of driving when it's a possibility. It keeps you in shape and is very cheap, especially with gas prices these days.

(Obvious) Buy food and cook yourself, restaurants will always be more expensive, even fast food joints.

If you have the storage space to keep it from going bad, buy in bulk, but don't buy copious amounts of food if it's just going to go bad.

Decker

Postby Decker » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:07 am UTC

Don't go out to eat often. It adds up if you're going out for lunch every day and nine times out of ten you can make the same thing at home much cheaper.

This goes double for Starbucks and Ice Cream places.
Last edited by Decker on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:07 am UTC

Use thrift stores and pawn shops as much as you are able to. Don't spend lots of money on something you could get second hand for cheap (furniture, etc.) If that is not practical/wanted/applicable in an individual situation, use outlet stores. You can get clothes, food, etc. for much cheaper than if you bought them at normal price. Really, try to spend as little money as possible when shopping. Use the internet to buy things, but make sure you are really saving money (shipping costs can kill).

Lower your standards slightly. Take what you would normally consider acceptable for an apartment, car, bike, etc. and go just a little bit lower. Don't go extreme and buy a car that will go 2 miles then break, but you don't need the newest, nicest vehicle.

Find groups that give free food out. I'm not talking about soup kitchens, but religious groups and stuff. A lot of social or religious groups will have potlucks, and you can get away with bringing nothing or very little to share.

(None of mine are very profound. :( )

EDIT: Marry a rich person.
Get a divorce and take half their money.
Repeat
?????
Profit
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:25 am UTC

Sign up for one of those "1 Million People For Lower Gas Prices!" groups on Facebook. You know, that's the kind of thing that makes a difference!!!

If you go through a drive-through, order your drink without ice and a cup of ice the same size.
Don't buy bottled water! Take a reusable bottle with you and refill it as needed. Whenever you're tempted to get an expensive drink, get water instead.
Carpool whenever possible. Meet at a friend's house when going out and take one car.
Unplug your chargers if you aren't using them.
If it's sunny enough and you have enough windows, don't bother with inside lights at all.
Price negotiation. Try it.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:03 am UTC

Freecycle/similar services are good places to find free furniture etc. Utilise them and return the favour when you have stuff you don't want.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:28 am UTC

Amoeba wrote:If you're really in a hurry or particularly like soggy bread, you can microwave them, I guess.
Toasters are good for hurrying up frozen bread, plus they don't make anything soggy.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:03 pm UTC

roc314 wrote:EDIT: Marry a rich person.
Get a divorce and take half their money.
Repeat
?????
Profit

Actually, I don't think the ????? is necessary in this case!

My number one tactic to save money is not to spend it. It's pretty simple, and it's totally natural to me. If I have a couple of coins in my pocket, I won't spend them on a bubble gum no matter how much I'd want one. I duct tape my shoes when they're falling apart rather than buying new ones. Every time I'm buying something, I really think it all over, even if it's just the equivalent of a couple of dollars.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

One thing I do to try to save money is spend my change. I usually keep it in one of the cup holders in my car, and if I remember, I'll grab a handful and take it into the store with me. When the total comes to x dollars and y change, I'll pay the y change, but the dollar amount may be different.

Dessert mixes are usually a lot cheaper than the desserts found at your local bakery, or the deli/bakery section of the grocery store. Even if you buy the extra ingredients needed (usually eggs, oil, and water), it's still cheaper than buying a dessert from the bakery.

If you go out to eat, don't eat everything you order. A lot of restaurants tend to give you enough to almost feed two people. Eat about half of the meal, and then ask for a take-away tray or container. Then you can save the rest for lunch or supper the next day. The same goes for desserts from the same restaurant. You can even ask the server to bring it to you in a take-away tray, and then when you get home, slice it in to two or three portions. Not only do you save money, but it helps you lose weight as well (if you're concerned about your weight).

If you like to shop online, a lot of sites offer free shipping if you order a certain dollar amount's worth of merchandise, and if you elect for their free shipping, which may take longer than regular shipping. Some sites will allow you to save the items you want for a future purchase, and when you have enough saved up to order the minimum for free shipping, and you can afford it, then and only then should you order anything. Also, look for sites that offer free shipping to your country, or if you're in the US, your state.

Another way to save from shopping online is to shop sites that are an actual, physical store, like office supply stores or discount mass merchandise stores. Most of them offer a "site-to-store" option, which usually costs nothing in shipping, or it might be a smaller price than if it was shipped to your home. There are many pluses to this: when the merchandise arrives, someone is always there to sign for it; it's not sitting out in the open like it would at your home, if it doesn't have to be signed for; in most cases you can pick it up at your convenience, like if you plan on shopping at that store for other products, and other things. Some disadvantages may include a limit as to how long the merchandise can stay there, until it's either sent back to the warehouse from where it was shipped, or it's restocked on the shelf at the store. Some may charge a per diem holding fee, if it's not claimed within x number of days after having arrived at the store. Also some stores may charge you a restocking fee, if it's not claimed and ends up being sent back to the warehouse, or put back on the shelves at the store location.

The only time you should buy really nice, expensive clothes is if you have a job that requires the wearing of said clothes, or if you plan on attending a place, service, or function that requires the wearing of said clothes, like to church, a wedding, a funeral, job interview, cocktail party, etc. Otherwise, there's no reason why you should buy a $30 pair of blue jeans or a $20 shirt, just because it has some well-known brand name stitched on it. I was watching something on the news the other day about a group of teenage girls stealing a lot of $50 jeans. I think my entire wardrobe is worth the five or six pairs of jeans they stole. The most expensive thing I have is a sport jacket that I paid $100 for. Everything else was between $5 and $20, either each, or sold in a pack of 6 or more. If I'm going to wear clothes that predominantly display some brand name on them, the company better be paying me to wear them. I don't advertise for free, nor do I pay to advertise.

Speaking of clothes, my dad has a bunch of those Haynes or Fruit of the Loom pocket T-shirts that come in a pack of three or five for less than $10. Those are great to wear if you're just staying at home, or the only going out you might do is to a friend's house, or the grocery store, or other similar errands. If you're not going to a party, to a nice restaurant (to me, a place like Applebee's or Chili's is considered "nice"), or anywhere else you need to look more presentable, don't worry about what clothes you're wearing, as long as they're not tattered or torn.
PRG

An important message for you:

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:53 pm UTC

Buy a metal canteen and a water filter instead of many plastic bottles. It's better for the environment, too.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

puzzle
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

lesliesage wrote:I've cut my own hair for about ten years now. It's provided a steady supply fascinating results, and I've whittled it down to a 60 sec attack in the shower.

This might be an obvious one, but if you have long hair and insist on getting it cut professionally, DON'T let them blow-dry it. I don't know how long your hair's got to be, but once it qualifies as "very long" there's a good chance they'll charge you extra to dry it. And they don't always tell you.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

Keep a leash on your loose change. Don't just toss it haphazardly onto the desk/table/counter/etc. for it to disappear under the couch forever. Some of my friends are always short on cash, yet when I'm at their houses, I can usually count a dollar or two in change just lying about. It's a small step, but over time it can really add up.
多么现在棕色母牛?

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

I put all coins less than a quarter in a bucket when I get home, roll them up when there's a ton of them, and eventually take the rolls down to the bank to exchange for bills.
ParanoidAndroid wrote:If you go through a drive-through, order your drink without ice and a cup of ice the same size.
Similar is true of many fast food restaurants *coughwendyscough*. If you order a drink they'll fill the cup with ice before pouring, so you end up with a bunch of ice and a mouthful of pop. I just get mine without ice; they're cold enough already. Places where you pour your own drink are obviously even better; just drop one or two cubes in. You don't need a ton of them.

PatrickRsGhost: I agree on the free advertising bit, but you don't have to buy cheap clothes to avoid that if you don't want to. I just had to look around for a couple minutes in clothing stores to find some nice logo-free shirts that looked good.

Also, my college has a habit of giving away free stuff at the beginning of the fall semester. Last year it was lozenges, this year it's energy drinks (which are normally outrageously expensive), and they always have a few old textbooks and binders. You don't have to be a student to just walk in and grab a couple out of the box.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I put all coins less than a quarter in a bucket when I get home, roll them up when there's a ton of them, and eventually take the rolls down to the bank to exchange for bills.
ParanoidAndroid wrote:If you go through a drive-through, order your drink without ice and a cup of ice the same size.
Similar is true of many fast food restaurants *coughwendyscough*. If you order a drink they'll fill the cup with ice before pouring, so you end up with a bunch of ice and a mouthful of pop. I just get mine without ice; they're cold enough already. Places where you pour your own drink are obviously even better; just drop one or two cubes in. You don't need a ton of them.

You wouldn't believe the profit margins on syrup based soft-drinks.

They charge about £1.75. They make about £1.70
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Fiddeponken

Postby Fiddeponken » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

For me the most important part of my economy is to find the right mix between money-saving and quality of life. My philosophy is to save a buck everytime I can so I can use it to buy a cup of coffee for the lecture or spend some more money on friday night dinner etc.

Webzter

Postby Webzter » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

• Cut your dryer sheets in half and reuse twice
  • Don't use dryer sheets
  • Cut your laundry soap dosage in half

When we do laundry, we use half as much laundry soap and we put about half a cup of vinegar in the clothes softener. Then, we don't use dryer sheets.

• Pack a lunch instead of eating out
  • Walk or bike whenever possible
  • Bring your own soda instead of buying one from the machine
  • Drop the soda and just drink water
  • Wash your ziplock bags and reuse them

• Fire the butler and only keep the cook and maid on staff. You'd be surprised how fast this adds up!
  • Buy generics / store brand when you're shopping
  • If you buy fresh veggies, learn how to make veggie stock and freeze it (wilted veggies work best as do the parts you might not otherwise use)
  • Buy frozen veggies if you're an infrequent user.
  • Join a CSA and get your vegetables straight from the farmer. It's cheaper for you and more profitable for them.
  • Pay yourself first. If you don't have money, you won't spend money.

The CSA (community supported agriculture) program we joined gave us a box of vegetables a week. It gave us a bunch of new stuff that we probably wouldn't have tried otherwise (I'm looking at you burdock root) and it was fairly inexpensive.

Most importantly, take care of your health now.. it'll pay off big down the road.
Last edited by Webzter on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ieatsoap6

Postby Ieatsoap6 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

Cook your own food. I can either eat the same stuff I'd eat at a restaurant for cheaper at home, or I can eat a much nicer meal for the same price. Plus, you can make exactly what you want!

Whoa Moe

Postby Whoa Moe » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

Amoeba wrote:Post your tricks for saving money here! It doesn't matter how obvious they seem or how small an amount they save; some of us are poor and thick...

My contribution: Freeze your bread and only defrost slices as you use them. It only takes a few minutes for individual slices to defrost on a plate, and it means the loaf doesn't go mouldy. If you're really in a hurry or particularly like soggy bread, you can microwave them, I guess.

My mom does that, it drives everyone else in the house insane.

I just want bread to dip in soup god-damn it! I don't want to toast it, or for it to be cold, or soggy! :evil:

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Yeah, I hate when you want bread/toast and all the bread is frozen, and you have to wait for it to thaw. >_< It bugs me how my parents do annoying things like this, not using the drying function of the dishwasher (so I have to hand-dry everything that comes out of it), and buying cheap (even expired) food to save money, when they'd probably save just as much by not leaving the damn lights/TV/Xbox on all the time and not starting their vehicles half an hour before they need them. >8^( And then they'd be saving the environment too (something they practically make an effort not to do), instead of just annoying me.
I know, I should be glad we have things like dishwashers and Xbox and food, but that doesn't mean these things aren't annoying.

Fairly obvious, but worth mentioning: garage sales! You would not believe the stuff you'll find for ridiculous prices, especially electronics from people who don't know much about them. I've picked up perfectly good routers and scanners, even an entire NES console with controllers and Game Genie, all for 2 bucks (and games for 50 cents each). You can also just buy cheap stuff and resell it at your own sales later.
ishikiri wrote:You wouldn't believe the profit margins on syrup based soft-drinks.

They charge about £1.75. They make about £1.70
I remember when pop was a buck. Some places it was a buck a can, others a buck a bottle, but it was a buck, period. Nowadays, $2 is common, below $1.50 is rare, except for the occasional cheapo store that sells them for like 55 cents. (And at some of these stores, they're cheap because they're expired and will give you the runs. <_<)

Also, in the same vein as packing your own lunch, I buy canned food and small snacks and store them in my locker at school, or stash them at work in places they're not likely to be found. Cheap and convenient.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:If you like to shop online...

The other good thing about shopping online is that, if you're in the US at least (except New York), you don't have to pay tax.
Otherwise, there's no reason why you should buy a $30 pair of blue jeans or a $20 shirt, just because it has some well-known brand name stitched on it.

Eh, as a girl, it's hard for me to find good jeans that fit. For me at least, it's worth the splurge if I can find jeans that actually fit for $30. Although I did just buy some perfect ones at Marshalls for $20, so it's not impossible to find them cheaper.

That said, discount chains like Marshalls and TJ Maxx for clothes, and Homegoods for household supplies and decorations, can get you that brand-name stuff if you really want it. If you're giving gifts, it can easily be both cheaper and more heartfelt if you make something instead of buying something. At the grocery store, if something that you buy allllll the time is on sale, stock up. Also, buy the big containers of paper towels and toilet paper, it's always cheaper that way. If you're hungry/thirsty and you're away from home, go to the supermarket for your snack or drink, it'll be cheaper than a drugstore or a restaurant.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Qwake

Postby Qwake » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:53 am UTC

Ieatsoap6 wrote:Cook your own food. I can either eat the same stuff I'd eat at a restaurant for cheaper at home, or I can eat a much nicer meal for the same price. Plus, you can make exactly what you want!

Seconded. Also you can generally cook enough to have left overs and it reduces the total amount of time cooking.

Also, tea can be very cheap, and is an excellent alternative to soda.
If you expect a kick in the balls
and you get a slap in the face,
it's a victory.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:04 am UTC

I toast frozen bread straight out of the freezer and it works just fine.

We save for restaurant meals by setting aside every dollar coin we get in change. They add up surprisingly quickly and when we get enough, we turn it into notes and go out for dinner.

I saved $50k in three years for a house deposit by dividing up each wage payment according to strict rules, and keeping a pedantic record. I'd set aside x amount for the rent, take out y amount for living expenses, put z amount in the savings account and leave the remainder to accumulate as a stash for unexpected expenses like bills and birthday presents. If I noticed myself buying something expensive and unnecessary, I'd stop buying such things and decrease the living expenses/increase the savings deposit by the amount it would normally cost.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Take advantage of all the free things at Hotels, grocery store samples, etc.
If you're a student, find out where you can use your student ID for discounts.
NEVER EVER walk into Half Price books with a debit/credit card.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://www.yessy.com/ladycarmen

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:38 am UTC

I do similar to Amarantha. I have a spending account and a savings account, but they're actually just one account at the bank. I keep track of all transactions in a database at home. All income is split evenly between the two, and the savings account is only used to pay for big important things like college. This way, I get interest on the total of both, and massive overdraft protection for free, because while my spending account may be at $-10, my actual balance is in the thousands. As a bonus, I have my own transaction record to match against their monthly statements, so any accounting error will be immediately obvious. Anyone can do this with a simple spreadsheet. (Another tip: OpenOffice is free!)
Amarantha wrote:I toast frozen bread straight out of the freezer and it works just fine.
How do you split it? When I pull a loaf out of the freezer the slices are all frozen together into a big lump, and they're so brittle that trying to pry or pull them apart just breaks them.

roc314

Postby roc314 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:42 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:(Another tip: OpenOffice is free!)

Which leads us to another great money saving tip: use free (as in free beer) software. Why spend several hundred dollars for a photo editing program when you can use GIMP? If you need to buy a lot of software, look into free alternatives, you can save a lot of money.
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:45 am UTC

Yeah, probably 98% of the time, you can find a free program that does the same job just as well as the one you intended to buy. Especially if you run Linux, as many of these programs are never ported to Windows.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:04 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:
Amarantha wrote:I toast frozen bread straight out of the freezer and it works just fine.
How do you split it? When I pull a loaf out of the freezer the slices are all frozen together into a big lump, and they're so brittle that trying to pry or pull them apart just breaks them.

Ah, well, that's where the trick comes in :P You have to remember to loosen the slices a bit before you put it in. Just give it a gentle squish-and-stretch, so the slices are a bit loose and a bit skewed, but without being squashed out of shape. It's only when they're stuck flat against each other that they won't come apart.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Girdot

Postby Girdot » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:40 am UTC

Kind of obvious but...don't underestimate the power of coupons/members savings at grocery stores. There have been times where I've saved 50-100 dollars when grocery shopping just through coupons and a members-discount.

roc314

Postby roc314 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:49 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Yeah, probably 98% of the time, you can find a free program that does the same job just as well as the one you intended to buy. Especially if you run Linux, as many of these programs are never ported to Windows.

And running Linux means you don't have to buy anti-virus software, which will save you a lot of money.

Also try looking for hardware either used or at a discount price. Not paying full price for hardware saves a lot in the long run.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:00 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Otherwise, there's no reason why you should buy a $30 pair of blue jeans or a $20 shirt, just because it has some well-known brand name stitched on it. I was watching something on the news the other day about a group of teenage girls stealing a lot of $50 jeans. I think my entire wardrobe is worth the five or six pairs of jeans they stole. The most expensive thing I have is a sport jacket that I paid $100 for.
I'm the same way. But $30 for jeans isn't that pricey...at least not compared to many. I work stock at a department store (on the higher end, though) and most of the jeans I unpack start at at least $90, quite a few are around $130. And this is in the children's department.

And the thing is, most of the people who come in probably aren't rich. Some are, of course. But people love to dress above their means so they can look rich. I'm convinced that having an honest view of how much money you're making is the most important step you can make in spending it efficiently.

Solt

Postby Solt » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:20 am UTC

Wash your hands a lot - soap is cheaper than getting sick.

Instead of a room heater, buy a heated blanket. The power consumption is 10-20 times lower but it is just as effective.

CFLs.

When opening the fridge for extended periods to clean/sort/load groceries, turn it off. The cool air evacuates almost instantly anyway, so might as well not make any more until it will be conserved.

Wash clothes in cold water and hang dry, choose energy saving options if you use a dishwasher.

Paper towels to dry your hands = bad.

Don't forget to invest what you do save- either in your education or in the economy.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:22 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:...and not starting their vehicles half an hour before they need them. >8^

What? Why on earth would people do that? I'm thoroughly confused.

Oh, and
--> Packed lunch wherever possible
--> Turn things off at the plug when you aren't using them.
--> Sneak your own popcorn and lollies in to cinemas - the places around here bleed you dry on that stuff.
Although I'm really clutching at straws to stay on topic
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:08 pm UTC

I'm intrigued as to how realistic people are intending to be in this thread. Sure, there are a few that I might consider, but a lot of the suggestions seem to be the kind of things that would give a reduction in overall happiness that's greater than the extra happiness brought from having more money left to spend. It just seems to be lacking a sense of perspective. I suppose the title was just about saving money, but surely there's no point in doing that if it's going to be more hassle than the money saved was worth.

Also, this attitude about clothes seems prevalent among the geek crowd*. I understand the desire to optimise, but for some reason the value of looking good never seems to be considered:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:Otherwise, there's no reason why you should buy a $30 pair of blue jeans or a $20 shirt, just because it has some well-known brand name stitched on it.

I agree with what you say, but I can't think of a single situation in which that would actually be the case (not to mention the fact that you could easily pay more than that for clothes in the supermarket!). More expensive clothes are more expensive because they look better: they have a better fitting cut, nicer material, more interesting design, greater attention to detail. Yes, sometimes they look better and have a logo splashed all over them. I don't think there's a single thing in my wardrobe with a visible brand name - I find them tacky and simply a way of broadcasting how much you spent on something; your attitude, however, makes no allowance for the value of looking good. I suppose the thread is technically about saving money, but surely good value is more important than simply 'less cash' in a lot of situations? The key thing to remember is that the price/appearance ratio is not linear, it's logarithmic. If you keep doubling your spend you will look better*, but you'll see diminishing returns. The key is to find the right point for you**.

*Generalisations are fun!
**Patrick, if you think you've found that point by buying the cheapest clothes, then I don't mean to criticise. The fact that you think you are paying for nothing more than a logo, however, tells me that you don't really know what the options are.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

Solt wrote:Instead of a room heater, buy a heated blanket. The power consumption is 10-20 times lower but it is just as effective.

Better yet, buy a couple of thick blankets or quilts and put them on your bed. You can find some nice ones at any second-hand or thrift shop for less than $10 apiece, or you can buy them new for under $20, if you know where to go.

Hey, that's how our ancestors stayed warm, long before central heat and air, or room heaters were available. Some of them may have had fireplaces in the bedrooms, but sometimes the fire did burn out in the middle of the night. Of course, they probably *made* their own blankets and quilts. When we were cleaning out the old farm house my great-granddad owned back in 1997, we found about a dozen or so quilts stored in black garbage bags, all piled up in a corner in one of the old outbuildings. When we showed one of them to him, he said his mother (great-great-grandmother) made them.
PRG

An important message for you:

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

roc314 wrote:use free (as in free beer) software. Why spend several hundred dollars for a photo editing program when you can use GIMP? If you need to buy a lot of software, look into free alternatives, you can save a lot of money.

Why do that when the expensive software works so much better? Just do what I do, steal it. You can find most expensive software on BitTorrent with cracks.

MoonBuggy wrote:I'm intrigued as to how realistic people are intending to be in this thread. Sure, there are a few that I might consider, but a lot of the suggestions seem to be the kind of things that would give a reduction in overall happiness that's greater than the extra happiness brought from having more money left to spend. It just seems to be lacking a sense of perspective. I suppose the title was just about saving money, but surely there's no point in doing that if it's going to be more hassle than the money saved was worth.

I agree with you but it depends on the quality of living you're used to and how much money you actually have. I don't like it when people don't consider when the decrease in happiness/convenience is greater than the increase in savings. But even when considered, it isn't the same for everyone. To someone with less money than you it becomes more valuable, so the same amount of inconvenience to save $5 which is not worth it to you might be worth it to someone for whom $5 means a lot more. None of the inconveniences here are worse than having to go hungry or being evicted.

Zer088

Postby Zer088 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:37 pm UTC

driving/car tips
I've tested these and got a 4.5-mpg difference, 25.1 - 29.6 mpg

don't do hard/fast accelerations, that's the biggest waste of gas.

55 mph is more efficient than 60 mph(i live south of Miami and 85 mph is the norm, on the turnpike anyway)

when approaching a light, don't accelerate to a stop, so many people ride the gas only to stop short at the light(and i catch up in 5-10 seconds)

coast when coming to a red light, you may not have to stop before it turns green(it takes more energy to start a car moving from a stop, than it does to get a car back up to speed)

turn off you car when waiting at railroad crossings, as long as you can start it easily again (15 minutes of radio won't drain your battery,(on most cars))

use your blinker, I've avoided accidents because i used my blinker, and I've avoided them because i saw the other persons blinker(accidents are expensive, who knew!!!)(don't use you blinker AS your turning/changing lanes, people can see that you are turning/changing lanes. the blinker is for warning, letting people know what you need/intend to do)( frankly, i think if your not smart enough to drive AND use your blinker... then your not smart enough to drive at all [/rant])

check your tire pressure. improperly inflated tires can cost you mpg's and will give you a higher than actual odometer reading, this can cost you when you sell/trade you car.

be sure to check and TEST your spare tire!!! (this happened to me, i got a flat so i changed it with the spare. the spare was inflated, and looked fine. it literately gave out when i left the parking lot. a tow can cost $50-100 USD in addition to the new tires)

lanicita wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:If you like to shop online...

The other good thing about shopping online is that, if you're in the US at least (except New York), you don't have to pay tax.

thats not an online thing, thats an in state - out of state thing. if you buy from them and the have a distribution center in your state, then you pay tax. this applys to eBay too, you only pay tax if the seller is in your state.
YaKKa Foob MoG. GRuG PubbaWuP ZiNK wattooM GaZoRK. CHuMBLE spuzz.
John Kaim: Love is the most powerful catalyst in existence.

Return to “General”