Quality clothing/style for the overweight

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Klapaucius

Quality clothing/style for the overweight

Postby Klapaucius » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

(who don't yet own fedoras.) I'm sixteen, spheroid in a rather irreversible way, and finding it rather difficult to dress well. I'm in a similar situation as the skinny problem dresser, except I'm not worried about looking scrawny, I'm worried about looking like the Baron Harkonnen. Does anyone have advice for passing as someone with a normal metabolism without resorting to antigravity pants?

I'm roughly 6', by the way, and strongly built; before I started wearing glasses, people who didn't know me would ask if I played football, and then would suggest that I should.
500%!

cypherspace

Re: Quality clothing/style for the overweight

Postby cypherspace » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

Double-breasted suits, vertical stripes, and don't buy baggy or skin-tight stuff. Make sure it fits you.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:36 am UTC

I find that button-down shirts, partially unbuttoned with a dark-colored undershirt, un-tucked over nicely fitting (not super-baggy) jeans looks good on just about every man, portly or scrawny or in between. In fact, I'm going to tell you what I told the scrawny guy, because guys don't seem to pick up on this - Do not get jeans or trousers with tapered legs (pant legs are smaller in diameter at the ankle than the knee) unless you are getting paint-on hipster skinny jeans. And frankly, with a body type like yours you will be doing yourself a disservice if you were hipster skinny jeans. Boot-cut jeans on the other thand, balance out your waist and hips, instead of highlighting just how big they are in comparison to your ankles. Trust me on this, I am a woman of large waist and hips.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:52 am UTC

Avoid wearing pants which encourage your belly hang over your belt like so.

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:04 am UTC

stockpot wrote:Avoid wearing pants which encourage your belly hang over your belt like so.

You mean a muffin top?

edit: also, once again putting forward the idea for a general fashion thread/forum.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:55 am UTC

Honestly, you won't look good in anything. At all.

raptor.fortress

Postby raptor.fortress » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:58 am UTC

If I was a really fat dude I would definitely wear one of two things.

- Poncho and train conductor's hat (homer style)

Actually, just one thing.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
- Ernest Hemingway.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:44 am UTC

If people are saying you should play football, you can't be too 'fat', just 'solid'...

So I'm gonna go with shirt and jeans. Avoid bright/light colours (Black is slimming and all that), and I know I for a fact almost ALWAYS wear a button up shirt with a shirt underneath... with jeans no less. I have a mostly dark blue/black wardrobe, but I also have a few bright pieces (Notably a nearly plain white long sleeve shirt) that I can get away with pretty easily.

Although I'd never thought about tapered legs doing as PictureSarah said. Will be looking more closely in the future.

For the record, I'm 107Kg, or about 220lbs. I also get told I'm built for football.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:14 am UTC

I can't help you with clothing, but I just wanted to let you know, that reading your post made the first few hours of my day due to the Harkonnen reference :D

(Sting in a speedo. Why?)
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

Is there anyone, who just straight to face, can say or explain me what the *#&$*#&($ is wrong with fat people wearing tight things? Like elastic pants or shirts or something?
I am fat and I LIKE wearing it. And I LIKE myself. And I feel GOOD in that. And you probably already know where to find appropriate place to put your opinion in, right? :mrgreen:
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

A dark blazer over a well-fitting sweater (or t-shirt) makes you look debonair. Or, at least it does to my 280-lerb housemate. Looking smart gives more of a positive visual impact over 'not looking fat'. Go for it.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

raptor.fortress

Postby raptor.fortress » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:33 am UTC

A can of corn and a jewish girl?

Oh dear....
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
- Ernest Hemingway.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

I've always laughed on the inside whenever I see fat guys wearing nikes or athletic shorts.

any tips for abnormally skinny guys?

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

krazykate wrote:I've always laughed on the inside whenever I see fat guys wearing nikes or athletic shorts.

any tips for abnormally skinny guys?

*Cough*
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:Is there anyone, who just straight to face, can say or explain me what the *#&$*#&($ is wrong with fat people wearing tight things? Like elastic pants or shirts or something?
I am fat and I LIKE wearing it. And I LIKE myself. And I feel GOOD in that. And you probably already know where to find appropriate place to put your opinion in, right? :mrgreen:

That is fine if that is what you want to wear, no-one's saying you can't. But this guy was asking how to look good, and wearing stuff like that is probably not the way to look good.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

krazykate wrote:I've always laughed on the inside whenever I see fat guys wearing nikes or athletic shorts.

What about a T-shirt with the Flash's logo on it?
500%!

Return to “General”