Poll: Education level

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What is your current level of Education

Multiple PhD's
0%
PhD
2%
Multiple Masters
1%
Professional Degree
2%
Masters
8%
Bachelors Degree
25%
Some college
22%
Two year degree
2%
Technical institute or equivalent
2%
High School
27%
GED
1%
HS drop out
1%
No formal education but self taught
1%
I can't read this page - illiterate
4%

Total votes: 415

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Re: Poll: Education level

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

Hello,

I was the OP, and thought I would clarify a few things since they were brought up.

1) Thank you for pointing out that I used the 'your' form in a sentance that clearly needed the 'you're' form. I make this mistake frequently and the students in my classes catch it, as well as a few other frequent mistakes I make in lecture notes and tests. (there/their)

2) I didn't think my original one line came off as 'serious', but perhaps I am wrong.
Perhaps you really believed I actually meant that I would:
I don't want to continue posting if your all HS dropouts, so I thought I would take a poll.

I would argue however, that this is hardly ironic, as several of you suggested. As a political science/economics major, I might have sluffed off a little on the grammer. I assure you that all my papers, both regular and thesis, were gramatically perfect, but alas, I do make mistakes in casual writing.

But I would make the argument that a poli sci/eco guy making a grammatical error in a quick line on a anonymous forum would hardly qualify as irony.

3) On the insinuation of being an elitest in some form or another... based solely on a single line of anonymous 'blogging'/posting, seems like a stretch. I thought the line was sufficiently tongue in cheek/harmless enough. I may be wrong.

I don't think I am better than any other human or smarter based solely on educational status.
But I do believe in the 1000+ peer reviewed studies that correlate any number of educational results/patterns/successes with educational level attained.
There is strong statistical data to suggest a direct correlation between education level and a large number of other variables. (example: Awareness of politics, science, the economy, and the ability to speak intelligently about such things)
As such, if the forum were infact inhabited by mostly HS dropouts, it would be fairly safe to assume that overall, there would be a large absence of sufficient understanding on a variety of topics.

Now mind you, yes there are many examples of HS dropouts who are infinatly smarter anre more successful than anyone here. But they are the exception not the rule.

4) I basically started this thread, because I am a very curious person and wanted to know the average educational level of posters here.

5) This post will have grammatical errors, but I don't have the time or inclination to find and correct them. If you do so have the time and willinglyness, feel free to do so.

Ixtellor

P.S. On number 3, the fact that the website's content is naturally going to draw smarter people... if it was infact mostly inhabited by HS dropouts, they would probably grossly skew the correlations of many studies, and be a statistical anomoly based on some obvious variables. (mostly website content)
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:44 am UTC

Second year of a BA in Applied Music.
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

Plumadore

Postby Plumadore » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:24 am UTC

Bachelors of Engineering

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:48 am UTC

Just High school. I went to uni for a few months before dropping out D:
I need to go back, but my job is too awesome to lose.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:54 am UTC

To clear things up for the international crowd, I'm a first year university student.

BattleMoose

Postby BattleMoose » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:00 am UTC

Just to clarify, difference between a professional degree and a bachelors degree, professional degrees are also bachelor degrees?

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:17 am UTC

Currently in High School (freshman) and bettering my edumcations by self-teaching.
In Geometry, we're doing 3-dimensional graphing, and I'm working on doing 4-D graphing. Whole fuck of a lot harder than it looks.
Speaking of 4-D, I made a 4-cube in art the other day (we were making shapes from clay and toothpicks). Just made a 4-cube net and folded 'er up.
Art teacher thought it was "rather .......interesting".

But seriously. They won't teach me about quantum physics, so I read things. I can now confuse the shit out of my regular physics teacher.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

BattleMoose wrote:Just to clarify, difference between a professional degree and a bachelors degree, professional degrees are also bachelor degrees?

The classic example of a professional degree is a Law degree. Certian accounting degrees are considered professional degrees.

Its more than a bachelors.

I used the term, because if you look at studies on income, they usually differentiate between PhD's and professional degrees.

Ixtellor

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

How is this different from the poll we already have, which you can find by searching "education level" in subject lines?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:46 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:How is this different from the poll we already have, which you can find by searching "education level" in subject lines?

This poll has 200 responses in the past few days, while the old poll already died and has been buried? Plus this poll had far cooler options. Apparently 5 members here can't read or write.

Ixtellor

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

I just applied and got into Uni TODAY!!!! You have got to Love clearing!!!

I'm going to London Met in less than a month!! I'm completely unprepared, can't calm down and so ridiculously frigging excited. I'm gonna go long round the place next thursday, its right next to a tube station and Arsenals' ground. Need to go book a train ticket! And possibly accomodation.

I'm gonna be studying English Lit - and I don't have to wait a whole year like I was planning to!!
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

SpaceShipRat

Postby SpaceShipRat » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

In Uni, hopefully next year too if I can unglue myself from the internet. I'm thinking of changing from Biology to Natural Science (or however it translates to english)

drixoman

Postby drixoman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:25 am UTC

opps...voted wrong...i actually finished two years at uni...with junk course that doesn't match any program...so in a sense I consider myself HS grad...okay maybe not even that..didn't feel like learned anything much at HS...

Shotglass

Postby Shotglass » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

youve also forgot the good ol german diploma (rip)
i guess i could vote masters as a near equivalent if i could be bothered to

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:52 pm UTC

I'm not entirely sure what to vote for. I'm doing my education sort of out-of-order, so I'll get my MSc and BSc with like four months apart. I have taken all the classes required for both of them, save for about 2 months of stuff that needs to be done (per degree). So I'm beyond BSc-level, even if I don't technically have the the degree yet.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

I just graduated high school but I took four math classes at community colleges so I think I technically fall under the category of "Some College".

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

Before my military time came to an abrupt halt, I had completed two MS degrees, and one BS degree, with an AAS and an AA as well. Now, post-military I can't manage to create a cogent sentence when I'm writing. Makes it hard to write the necessary material to earn my doctorate, coupled with my financial situation, I'm not sure that I'll ever manage it at the rate I'm going.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

davedrowsy

Postby davedrowsy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

I hold a Bachelor of Music degree from UNC-Chapel Hill, with a focus in Music Composition and Bassoon Performance. I graduated almost 5 years ago. Haven't yet gotten around to doing grad school, but I do plan on doing that by the time I'm dead. I'd like a Masters or maybe even Doctorate in Music Theory or Composition, but my career has already taken off in a completely different direction that isn't music-related at all, so I figure I'll go back to school once I have some money saved up, some years from now.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:03 am UTC

I have a Master of Engineering degree from Imperial College London in Chemical Engineering and Chemical Technology and a Postgraduate Diploma (although not yet certificated) in Power Plant Engineering. I'm not sure whether that counts as 'masters degree' or 'multiple masters'. It's somewhere between the two.

DaveInsurgent

Postby DaveInsurgent » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

High school graduate. I was not accepted in to University (due to low grades) when I was younger and now I am at the point where I would not stand to gain much by going - it would present a significant interference with my family life and I'm uncertain if I would even break even from the cost. When the kids are in school full time my spouse will seek an education and a career, then I can maybe look in to it more as an experience than anything else.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Bachelor's in Spatial Information Engineeering, minor in Geology; and licensed as a Profession Land Surveyor. Took the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, but never bothered getting my EIT licence.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

I have an AA in a useful technical field (multimedia arts), a BA in a useless abstract academic field (philosophy), and a heavy anvil of shame at never even attempting any higher degree, considering that school is the only area of life I ever truly excelled at and if it weren't for having to deal with bullshit basic survival shit I should have had at least one PhD by years ago...

(EDIT: I guess if we're bragging about honors and GPAs and crap as below: the AA was a 4.0 GPA with Honors [no High or Highest available at this school], President's Honor Roll every term, and Phi Theta Kappa membership; and the BA was a 3.9 GPA with Highest Honors, Dean's Honor List every term, and an invitation to Phi Beta Kappa I never bothered accepting).

(And if anyone cares about high school, that was a 3.7 GPA while slacking, skipping a grade and then finishing senior year in one term, and why did nobody at my school tell me there was an honors program to apply to damnit? Or what AP classes were? Or for that matter what a GPA was, or that I should be taking SATs, or applying to colleges... took me two damn years of out school to figure out what someone should have told me in 10th grade....)
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Currently working on a Bachelor's in Computer Science, and will follow that up with a Master's in Software Engineering.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Brace

Postby Brace » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

GED, 90th percentile in 2005.
Three different 2 year degrees; An Associate of Applied Science in Computer Network Technology, a Computer Support Professional A.A.S, and an Associate of General Studies, all with honors (and the first two would have been with highest honors, except that my institutional GPA was lower than my GPA within those programs)
Still going to school, will have an Associate of Math and an Associate of Applied Science in Computer Information Systems by this time next year.
Will have, all things being equal, a Computer and Electrical Engineering BS in ~3 years.
If I maintain a 3.8 GPA through that program, I will try to enroll in a PhD program, since the school I will be attending has terms to allow that.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Bachelor's in Clinical Laboratory Science. Bet you've never seen that before.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

BSc (Physics & Theoretical Physics) with Honours in Physics. 'Honours' degree should sit somewhere between Bachelor and Masters for this country.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, minoring in Applied Mathematics.
Master of Science in Anatomy & Cell Biology, specialty Neuroscience.

I'm most at home in any molecular/biotech lab. Prettymuch any technique, I've done it, or something similar (I"m quick at picking up new techniques and protocols, and I delve into projects, so I'm perfect for benchwork).
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Silver Turtle

Postby Silver Turtle » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:55 pm UTC

GED, currently in Job Corps due to homelessness, getting my A+, Networking+, and Security+ certs. =)

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:00 am UTC

I have multiple masters, in applied science stuff. It feels weird to be so much more educated than the average here - I don't feel especially smarter than you guys.

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Third year law student, will die penniless and alone.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

I'm completely illiterate. My trained monkey does all the typing.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

Silver Turtle wrote:GED, currently in Job Corps due to homelessness, getting my A+, Networking+, and Security+ certs. =)

So that's why all the network admins look like homeless people.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

BArch. It's kinda between a regular Batchlors degree and a masters, it's a 5-year degree with a thesis book required at the end. I could go back for a year or so to get a Masters, but that would mean doing another thesis. And let me tell you, that first one took years off my life.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

sketchy

Postby sketchy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

1hitcombo wrote:woo students! I wonder if the generation that's stuck on this forum right now will be here in 10 years or if the fora will continue to usher in the young with old people leaving.

<-- in college

Judging from past experience on other forums more than likely.

Good forums are like the Hotel California.

Greyhind

Postby Greyhind » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

I'm a BA drop-out (if there is such a thing). I plan to go back someday - probably to a different university though.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

sketchy wrote:
1hitcombo wrote:woo students! I wonder if the generation that's stuck on this forum right now will be here in 10 years or if the fora will continue to usher in the young with old people leaving.

<-- in college

Judging from past experience on other forums more than likely.

Good forums are like the Hotel California.

Yeah. I have a couple of 10+ year old accounts still active on other forums.

Return to “General”