What to do in Boston?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Teh Russians

What to do in Boston?

Postby Teh Russians » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:00 pm UTC

I have recently moved into college in Boston. Although I am an engineering major, which does not leave me with a lot of free time, I would like to start getting out into the city more frequently. I've checked out a bunch of different event-aggregation sites like eventful, but I would still appreciate some advice from members of this fora.

Thanks in advance!
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: What to do in Boston?

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Yes, I was actually looking at that and considered going, but as most of these meetups involve alcohol, I assumed that the majority of the people there are over 21 (am I wrong?). Although this in itself is not a problem, it would be kind of awkward to be the only underage person there. I myself would probably hesitate to invite a 17-year old to such a gathering.

Also, I am not solely interested in xkcd-related things, but also museums, coffee-shops, parks, bookstores, and other generally awesome places and events.
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

Teh Russians wrote:Yes, I was actually looking at that and considered going, but as most of these meetups involve alcohol, I assumed that the majority of the people there are over 21 (am I wrong?). Although this in itself is not a problem, it would be kind of awkward to be the only underage person there. I myself would probably hesitate to invite a 17-year old to such a gathering.

You would probably be one of the youngest people, but you are certainly welcome. Not all of the events involve alcohol, and even the ones that do are more about hanging out with with the kind of people that are into xkcd (awesome people). I would recommend that you come to a cake night sometime. They happen most Sunday evenings and consist of hanging out and eating cake.

I terms of other stuff, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum are both great art museums. The Museum of Science is really targeted more toward children, but can still be a lot of fun. The Aquarium is pretty cool.

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

telcontar42 wrote:You would probably be one of the youngest people, but you are certainly welcome.

Thanks for clearing that up! My roommate and I might drop in on one of these sometime in the near future. :D

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:27 pm UTC

Enh; there is alcohol involved sometimes, but it's never a requirement.

We care far more whether or not you are a douchebag than whether or not you are any given age. And we've only had one really negative experience through the meetup thread, so we're overall optimistic and welcoming.

But God help you if you lay so much as a foot on my lawn...
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:We care far more whether or not you are a douchebag than whether or not you are any given age.

Why, because we already have all the Nougat we need? ooh, burn!

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:12 am UTC

you should drive ya caa to a baa to have a beeah down by tha haaba.
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:31 am UTC

go to Harvard Square. bring a friend, chill, and admire the glory of harvard that you'll never achieve. Also, there are some pretty damn cool bookstores and a mall called The Garage where I got a nice hat.

As for drinking, don't worry about it. When I hung out with some xkcdians, the only heavy drinker was Nougat, and his beverage was Shame. Because I whipped him in Brawl.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:43 am UTC

Indeed. We do some drinking in these parts, but just as often we do brunching or picnicking, which involve no alcohol. We don't need alcohol to have a good time! Do we guys?

...guys?
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:59 am UTC

Even those of us who do, make exceptions for Brunch.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

Things to do:

Museums:
MFA (Museum stop on Green Line, E Train)
Harvard museum of natural history (Harvard Sq, Cambridge)
Peabody Essex Museum (Also in historic Salem, accessible by commuter rail.)
MIT museum (10 min walk from Central Sq, Cambridge)
Gardner museum (right around the corner from MFA, actually)
Science Museum [I think I burned out on this one from school field trips] (Science Park Stop, Green Line, Lechmere Train)
ICA Boston (Silver Line Waterfront, World Trade Center stop)

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:19 am UTC

Thanks guys. I will try and check some of these places out. We found an amazing Russian store on Sunday where I could not resist buying 2 pounds of delicious Russian candy, which is all gone now. And I think I'm getting sick.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

We actually had a 16-year-old at the last cake night. It was fine. We won't generally provide the young'uns with alchohol, but the entertainment usually doesn't consist of us all getting sloppy drunk anyway, so it doesn't matter all that much.

Also, that russian store looks awesome. I will have to go there.

(I also just moved)
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

Try candlepin bowling some time, if you haven't before and you at all enjoy bowling.
Check out the Freedom Trail or the naval yard in Charlestown if you're into American history.
The Public Gardens next to the Boston Common are an okay hangout spot, although it's getting a bit cold for that. Similarly, the Arboretum in Franklin Park is very nice when the weather's decent.
We've got some places to bike if you're into that.
sethicus wrote:you should drive ya caa to a baa to have a beeah down by tha haaba.

And you should go die in a fire.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Return to “General”