The veteran lounge

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Have you served your country?

Yes, I served my country at the front lines in active combat duty.
2%
Yes, I served my country at the front lines in a supportive role (mechanics, comm experts and the like)
4%
Yes, I served my country at the home front in a supportive role (R&D, training facilities and paper pushers)
2%
No, I'm below the required age (and I plan on enlisting)
4%
No, I'm medically unable to serve.
8%
Just plain no.
82%

Total votes: 131

Gazing Rabbit

The veteran lounge

Postby Gazing Rabbit » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson
This thread is for those of us who took active action to ensure the freedom of our homelands.
As a start, I would like you to share with us:

In which unit did you serve (and in which army)? What rank have you attained (or your current one, if you're still on duty)?
What was the coolest/scariest (this things usually come together) thing you done during your service?
What was the hardest thing you done during your service?
What is your biggest regret regarding your service?

I'll start:
I served in the Israeli Defense Force, in the combat engineering corpse. My unit specialized in contaminated area warfare (fighting in contaminated areas). I finished my term at the rank of sergeant first class.
Scariest thing I did: seeing the back of a 'do not enter, radioactive waste' sign. My Lt sucked at navigation...
Hardest thing I did: walk 6 km (~4 miles) in under an hour, with full hazard gear (including gas mask) AND full combat gear.
Biggest regret: I never shot a bullet outside a firing range (I.E I was never in actual combat {it's not that rare in Israel...})

Hope this thread spark some interest.

P.S. My avatar is me with my gas mask on, during training. Luckily, it was only gas mask and not the full suit *shudder*.
Any spelling and/or grammar mistakes in the above post are due to Israel's defective education system. Not that there should be any, but it's always better to blame someone else.

DaMullet

Re: The veteran lounge

Postby DaMullet » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:15 am UTC

Both of the last two, I suppose. I have asthma, but I wouldn't serve anyway. The only militant zones are currently fighting in places I don't believe we should be.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:22 am UTC

I injured myself too many times when I was younger. Otherwise, I was in the process of joining the Navy. Wanted to be a pilot.
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:36 am UTC

Eh, I have a fairly damaged left eye, but I imagine I could join if I wanted to--what they'd do with me is a different story. I don't intend to enlist when I turn 18, though.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Aiserou

Postby Aiserou » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:41 am UTC

Corporal, USMC.
Spent my 4 years at this nifty little place called the Mountain Warfare Training Center. Fun times. I was basically the IT guy that ran the network for the base and did all the help desk stuff. When I wasn't doing that, they would try to find ways to get us out in the field to see what the training packages were like. Let me tell you, those were some fun courses. Skiing down a hill and shooting at targets with an M-16? Yes please. Skiing into a hole in a frozen lake to see what nearly frozen water was like, so we wouldn't panic if it ever occurred for real? I could live without doing that again.

I got out in 2005 with only one regret. When the stuff hit the fan in 2003 and people started shipping off to Afghanistan and Iraq, our base was technically non-deployable(as it was a training facility). Our CO asked for volunteers to augment a unit that Camp Pendleton was sending. So, on a Saturday, a corporal (I was a lance corporal at the time) that I hated, and he hated me, came to my barracks room and asked if I had the chance to go to war, would I? Now, he didn't ask the other 3 people in my room at the time, and I knew this guy was doing training packages that weekend, and was constantly pissed because I was usually deemed to important to go on said packages. My guess was that this was a trick to get me out of my weekend of drinking and playing xbox, and into his weekend of sitting in a cold tent on a windy hillside monitoring radio traffic. So I said no. Then he went to the next room and I closed my door and didn't think of it again until Monday morning. When I found out he was actually serious, I said I would go, but by that time it had already been decided that I was needed to stay and keep peoples email working. Oh well. The guys that went had 6 months of standing guard duty at support bases, and I had 6 months of working 12-16 hour days, most weekends on call, and being the only person supporting 240 some-odd people who were very good at breaking computers. I think I was actually closer to shooting someone than they were.

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:15 am UTC

currently in Baghdad as an E-4. last year was Korea as an E-3. Next year will be somewhere else as an E-5.

yee-haw and all that crap.

/"analyst"
//worst so far's been having mortars fly above our base or chinook dropping chaff in the middle of the night while we were in it with the ass open so the gunner could fire at anything that stirred in hostile ways.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

Shedek

Postby Shedek » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:51 am UTC

I don't actually fit into any of the roles above, as I'm above the age limit but not yet able to enlist. I currently don't meet physical fitness standards (silly things that they are; I can still pass the ACTUAL fitness tests, I just happen to be 'overweight'). So right now I'm spending about four hours a day at a gym, and am losing excess weight rapidly.

When I do go in, I'll be in support role, I suppose; I want to go into the Nuclear Field in the Navy, so I'll be one of the ones tending to the reactors on one of the subs or aircraft carriers. Of course, that is assuming I get through the training program, which has a 6 in 7 washout rate, I think.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

I'm underage, and not planning on enlisting, and if we get attacked we're screwed anyway, but with my vision (and like for the sniping concept...paintball is gonna be fun in a couple of months) and obsession with science I'd either be a sniper or some crazy megolomaniac scientist with a super weapon...
stand back I'm going to try science!

no. really.

I have already made nitroglycerin numerous times....not for explosive use or anything that will cause harm or damage...just because I can....
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:25 pm UTC

Enlisted in the Army, but because of some medical issues I was honorably discharged after being in for only a year -- didn't even finish AIT.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

Like Shedek, I'm of age, but I haven't decided whether to enlist at some point. I'm in my second year of college now, so the earliest it could happen is 2011. But I'm truly undecided. I'm an intellectual to the core; I tend to philosophize about war and politics, and I'm not sure whether that would be a blessing or a curse. I sometimes think I'd make a better Gundam character than a soldier. But we'll see where I am in three years.

Furkins

Postby Furkins » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

Not in the military because I'm a girl... and girls don't usually join the Swiss Army (unless they're batshit insane). I mean, all the Swiss Army does anyways is sit in the mountains and shoot at cardboard targets with 10'000$ ammunition and maybe help keep the drunk people under control if there is a big event like the European Football Championship going on in our country. I don't understand why we even have an army, we haven't been in a war for like 200 years. And I understand even less why the army is mandatory for all men (and they have to pay money if they're not medically not fit to join).
What a waste of tax money (if we're attacked, we're fucked either way).

dasknocker

Postby dasknocker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

I'm currently in the DEP for the Navy Nuke school; leaving on February 18th. Thus I don't have any interesting stories of my own, but I do have two friends currently in the program and loving it.

The most common thing you'll hear from students before Prototype is "Stress + Nerds/Geeks = WTF moments galore". Also, I've yet to hear a single derogatory statement against the teachers- all praises and how committed they are to instilling education into tiny, tiny minds. :lol:

The wash out rate is high among the services in general, but is still less that Marine training [/anecdotal]. However, it seems that many recruits will have a suicide in their division before finishing prototype+EM/ET/MM training.
I also know one instructor from the former Orlando center, and one past nuke that's a father of an old friend. To emphasize: "It's damn stressful, but it was the best thing I ever did for myself and my family, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat."

The sign-on bonus and re-enlistment bonuses are mighty tempting, not to mention graduating as an E-6, being four classes away from having a BS, having the new GI bill, and not worrying about job security. If anyone has any questions about the program, feel free to PM me, and if I don't know the answer I'll put it on my list for my next chat.
Last edited by dasknocker on Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

I attempted to enlist in the navy, in specific the nuclear program. I never made it past meps - they didn't want me. Silly navy.
Lurker Extraordinaire

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

I wanted to join the army when I was 18, but was persuaded to go to uni instead, I still want to join, so I will look into signing up once I'm finished... They probably wouldn't have me anyway, given the number of injuries I've had in the last few years.
My brother applied for the RAF, but couldn't because of the metal plates in his arm :|

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:24 am UTC

While not technically enlisted, I am a contracter and am damn sure doing my part in a supportive role.
John Hancock

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

crowey wrote:I wanted to join the army when I was 18, but was persuaded to go to uni instead, I still want to join, so I will look into signing up once I'm finished... They probably wouldn't have me anyway, given the number of injuries I've had in the last few years.
My brother applied for the RAF, but couldn't because of the metal plates in his arm :|

How come you didn't try to sign up in officer class? If you join the Marines the training as an Officer is far better*. You get to do things like show up the USMC in tracking missions in the US forests :D

*The Royal Marine Commandoes have a policy of "You don't have to do anything you're officer can't do" so training is harder and more rigourous for Officers, they also have to complete all courses faster than enlisted times.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

ishikiri wrote:
crowey wrote:I wanted to join the army when I was 18, but was persuaded to go to uni instead, I still want to join, so I will look into signing up once I'm finished... They probably wouldn't have me anyway, given the number of injuries I've had in the last few years.

How come you didn't try to sign up in officer class? If you join the Marines the training as an Officer is far better*. You get to do things like show up the USMC in tracking missions in the US forests :D

*The Royal Marine Commandoes have a policy of "You don't have to do anything you're officer can't do" so training is harder and more rigourous for Officers, they also have to complete all courses faster than enlisted times.

If/when I sign up I will go for officer class, Maybe not in the Marines though- I've been round some of the courses they have to do (just for fun like) that was an easy one and it was still bloody hard!

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

crowey wrote:If/when I sign up I will go for officer class, Maybe not in the Marines though- I've been round some of the courses they have to do (just for fun like) that was an easy one and it was still bloody hard!

I've gotta say I'm pretty jelous. I can't sign up because I've got Compartment Syndrome and Asthma, I'd last about a week into training before they'd find me out. I wheeze like broken bellows after running a mile in cold weather so theres no yomping for me :( I really should go to the doctor about those.

I think you can get compartment syndrome fixed with surgery (yay NHS!) and I may be able to get rid of the asthma over the 3 years at uni w/ Inhaler+Cardio. There may be hope for me yet. Its not like we're gonna run out of War anytime soon.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

ishikiri wrote:
crowey wrote:If/when I sign up I will go for officer class, Maybe not in the Marines though- I've been round some of the courses they have to do (just for fun like) that was an easy one and it was still bloody hard!

I've gotta say I'm pretty jelous. I can't sign up because I've got Compartment Syndrome and Asthma, I'd last about a week into training before they'd find me out. I wheeze like broken bellows after running a mile in cold weather so theres no yomping for me :( I really should go to the doctor about those.

I think you can get compartment syndrome fixed with surgery (yay NHS!) and I may be able to get rid of the asthma over the 3 years at uni w/ Inhaler+Cardio. There may be hope for me yet. Its not like we're gonna run out of War anytime soon.

I got asthma too. Although it used to be really dramatic, it seems my body gets over it. My best event was always the long distance run, and cross country running is a favourite too. I wheeze a fair whack, but I don't stop until I fall over and become nothing more than dust in the wind.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

ishikiri wrote:I've gotta say I'm pretty jelous. I can't sign up because I've got Compartment Syndrome and Asthma, I'd last about a week into training before they'd find me out. I wheeze like broken bellows after running a mile in cold weather so theres no yomping for me :( I really should go to the doctor about those.

Ya, compartment syndrome can be fixed with an operation, no ideas on how to deal with the asthma but good luck with it! :)

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

crowey wrote:
ishikiri wrote:I've gotta say I'm pretty jelous. I can't sign up because I've got Compartment Syndrome and Asthma, I'd last about a week into training before they'd find me out. I wheeze like broken bellows after running a mile in cold weather so theres no yomping for me :( I really should go to the doctor about those.

Ya, compartment syndrome can be fixed with an operation, no ideas on how to deal with the asthma but good luck with it! :)

I've heard a few times that if you exercise like crazy taking the inhaler before, after and whenever you feel the need that it can speed up the healing/recovery of asthma.

Sleepy I have the same thing. I'm good to run quickly and continuously for about a mile and a half but then once I stop I can barely breath for about half an hour. It feels like only the top quarter of each lung works. If I run to the gym (2 miles from home) then by the time I've walked the last half mile and got changed I'm fine to go destroy some musclage :)

Phases
Sport

Postby Phases » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

Was in the Army from 2000 to 2004. 13F, Forward Observer. Deployed to Afghanistan/Pakistan right after Sept 11, Anaconda etc. Came home for a bit, then went to Iraq as part of the force that first crossed the border from Kuwait and took over a few places, including Baghdad. I was a driver for the 'staff' portion of our platoon, not a front line 13F, and I ran the AFATDS system to process fire missions digitally. Drove our senior people around and/or drove with them to provide extra security. Arrested/guarded prisoners, delivered supplies to various poverty-struck towns. Finding/confiscating weapons cache. Etc. My weapon was a M203 grenade launcher.

FAQ Answers, in order of frequency:

-No I did not kill anyone. I did not fire my weapon outside of training.
-Yes I got shot at. With bullets and RPGS. And mortars. And Rockets. (Remember, driver.)
-Yes I lost friends, and watched 'enemies' die in front of me. My wife and I attended a few memorial services for people I worked with, and spouses of people she worked with.
-No it doesn't bother me and I'm not f'd in the head.
-At the time I believed in the cause. Was it because I truly did, or because I felt I SHOULD? I don't know. It was hard not to feel patriotic at the time given events taking place. However, don't ask how I feel about it all now. I have very very mixed feelings and couldn't answer.

I got out of the Army because a) I hated the day to day Army life when at home and b) the deployments were way, way too hard on my wife. She still has panic attacks that started during the deployments.
Every forum should have a Phases.

Image I'm resurrecting my little stick comic, SSP, check him out!

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

Phases wrote: the deployments were way, way too hard on my wife. She still has panic attacks that started during the deployments.

Thats one of my major concerns about joining up, especially as I would try to get into the SAS/SBS.

I don't know how I'd deal with deployment and having a girlfriend/wife/kids at home.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Nope, and I don't really intend to, unless the RAF would take me on... And eyesgiht would lose me out there.
Also, I'm bad at taking orders. And I'm bad at giving them. And I can think of a lot of jobs that I would enjoy more, and get more money for...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:33 pm UTC

I'd be interested in the RAF or the Navy, but nothing else. And I don't like the idea of killing people; I'd be plagued by the fear that I might be shooting at/helping kill innocents.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Phases
Sport

Postby Phases » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

ishikiri wrote:
Phases wrote: the deployments were way, way too hard on my wife. She still has panic attacks that started during the deployments.

Thats one of my major concerns about joining up, especially as I would try to get into the SAS/SBS.

I don't know how I'd deal with deployment and having a girlfriend/wife/kids at home.

In our case at least - you either

a) had a strong marriage/relationship that withstood - but it was real hard. More-so on the wives (and kids) at home, in my opinion. Some still affected by it (as in my wife's case)

or

b) you didn't have a strong relationship and broke up.

Our platoon had a very high divorce/breakup rate between the two trips. At least half. Obviously it's different for everyone, but that was our case. It was pretty depressing and hard on the group.

Gazing Rabbit

Postby Gazing Rabbit » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

This thread has more misconceptions than posts...

About your health:
My eyesight is BAD. Medically, I'm considered incapacitated if I lose my glasses (and I was still considered to be a good marksman). I also suffer from hyperkyphosis (back problems). Heck, my sergeant in basic training has iron nails in his leg from a suicide bombing.
My point is that many medical problems are not as severe as you might think.

About your fitness:
My best time for 2000 meter run (~1.4 miles) is 10:06, which is BAD. And you know what? It never bothered me. Stamina is much more important than either strength or speed.

anecdote #1: I've never managed to complete the standard obstacle course in passing time.
anecdote #2: a friend of mine who spent three years in Gaza shooting people told me about the best sniper he knows. A guy with glasses, asthma and a limp.

Last thing: when I made the poll I though about adding the option "no, but will enlist in time of war". I decided not to, because I believe in "Actions, not words", as the saying goes. I also think that's a bad idea. A citizen, trained in his field, can contribute to the war effort more than a rookie (euphemism for cannon-fodder).

P.S. I don't judge anyone's decisions here, but I hope I made you think about the idea of enlisting. There's a saying in these parts that combat duty builds character. I can tell from personal experience that it's true. I take pride in the hardships I went through, and I know myself a little better.

P.P.S. Everything I say should be taken with some salt, since I served in the IDF, which use stupidity as a fuel. I'm sure other armies are very different.
Any spelling and/or grammar mistakes in the above post are due to Israel's defective education system. Not that there should be any, but it's always better to blame someone else.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

ishikiri wrote:*The Royal Marine Commandoes have a policy of "You don't have to do anything you're officer can't do" so training is harder and more rigourous for Officers, they also have to complete all courses faster than enlisted times.

I love this rule, mainly because when I was in the ATC (Air training corps) we had a female officer who used to make all the privates do like 100 press-ups as punishment, then one day we told her about this rule when she tried to make us (we can all do 100). She denied it was a rule, then we proved it... she didn't give us shit after that.

But back on topic, I would like to serve the RAF at some point in my life.

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Coin

Postby Coin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:48 am UTC

I mustered when I turned 18 (Sweden still has conscription) but they didn't want me on account of my eyesight. I scored well in the tests though so they told me to come back if I get eye-surgery before I turn 25.
To be fair I was motivated to do it and wanted to join a tank-regiment so it was a shame they wouldn't have me.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:32 am UTC

ishikiri wrote:

it sucks, that what it is. and no, don't be married otherwise you're just going to have that much more on your plate to deal with on a day to day basis, week after week, month after month.

this war is bullshit.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

Savara

Postby Savara » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:49 am UTC

Gazing Rabbit wrote:P.P.S. Everything I say should be taken with some salt, since I served in the IDF, which use stupidity as a fuel. I'm sure other armies are very different.

Lol, I was going to make some rude comment about 'yes, but you're in the Israeli Army' :P
The areas of the (British) Armed forces that people are talking about, e.g. RMC / SAS / RAF all have very specific fitness &/or eyesight requirements, as, apart from anything else, there's no conscription.
'Ridcully was to management what King Herod was to the Bethlehem Playgroup Association'

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

the idf probably aren't going to take me on grounds of mental instability wether I want to go or not. (during the medical checkups I mentioned I'd gone to a psychologist, they asked fro a report, and I read the draft...ouch). I wouldn't go anyways, on the basis that my sole reson to get into the war on this side rather then on the other would be that I was born here, and that doesn't seem to be a sufficiently good reason to kill people.
It rains on the enemy too!

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

Did Phases say he was at Anaconda?

For those of you unfamiliar, Operation Anaconda is OEF's "Black Hawk Down".

Phases
Sport

Postby Phases » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

We were a part of it, yea (TF Anvil). I wasn't physically there on the ground... with most my platoon. I worked in the TOC.

On the one hand, somebody's got to, right? But on the other - that was one of the several instances I wished I could have been more directly involved.

(Btw, we were 3/320th FA, supported 1/187 Rakkasans.)

Gazing Rabbit

Postby Gazing Rabbit » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

@Savara: We have some very good outfits in the IDF, on par with the SAS. On the other hand, my unit is so small (because we're unneeded) that most people I've met never even heard of it.

About the killing people part: being born here is not a reason to kill people. What many people forget is that it is neither a reason to die. I *refuse* to being scared off, and anyone who wants to kill me is a valid target for my bullets IMO.

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:04 am UTC

Gazing Rabbit wrote:@Savara: We have some very good outfits in the IDF, on par with the SAS. On the other hand, my unit is so small (because we're unneeded) that most people I've met never even heard of it.

About the killing people part: being born here is not a reason to kill people. What many people forget is that it is neither a reason to die. I *refuse* to being scared off, and anyone who wants to kill me is a valid target for my bullets IMO.

quick, it's a farmer with a rake! shoot him!

/you guys are fucking up the peace for everyone. give the land back, douchebags.
//stop asking the US for money.
///how's that ethnic cleansing going for you guys? sure learned how to do it properly, huh?
////not a fan of israel

dasknocker

Postby dasknocker » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:36 am UTC

darwinwins wrote:
Gazing Rabbit wrote:
Spoiler:
@Savara: We have some very good outfits in the IDF, on par with the SAS. On the other hand, my unit is so small (because we're unneeded) that most people I've met never even heard of it.

Spoiler:
quick, it's a farmer with a rake! shoot him!

/you guys are fucking up the peace for everyone. give the land back, douchebags.
//stop asking the US for money.
///how's that ethnic cleansing going for you guys? sure learned how to do it properly, huh?
////not a fan of israel

I wildly differ in my viewpoints and take affront to attacking a guy who makes no executive decisions in the protection of his homeland, but this isn't about the policies of Israel. That's for discussion here. And I'm mighty tempted to nitpick your statement into nonpoint, but we can do that via PM.

Gazing Rabbit wrote:In which unit did you serve (and in which army)? What rank have you attained (or your current one, if you're still on duty)?
What was the coolest/scariest (this things usually come together) thing you done during your service?
What was the hardest thing you done during your service?
What is your biggest regret regarding your service?

This is the topic.

@GR: What's pay like in the IDF, comparable to civilian jobs?
Since a large portion of Israeli males have military experience, is the job market more selective against those who haven't served? Also, does military experience in combat engineering have credit hours for school in Israel?

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

some units, you do an accelerated degree in math/science/something in training, which is funded by the army, but you compensate by signing a few extra years in. the advanced computer units can usually get a job in computers without doing a degree. and the airport pilots are exclusively ex-military pilots, because they don't need training. the pay in conscription isn't much, but I don't know what it's like if you enlist long term.
It rains on the enemy too!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

According to this poll, the only way I can serve my country is to join the military. I'm surprised the thread has stayed as civil as it has, given how offensive that is to most of unenlisted people.

Active action to ensure the freedom of my homeland? How about voting? I have more respect in theory for an unenlisted person who votes than for an enlisted person who can and doesn't.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

Bakemaster, it's worth pointing out that "serving your country" is derived from the phrase "having served," which is short for the much more specific phrase "having served in the Armed Forces." This is similar to how the military is often referred to as "the Services," even though a literal reading of that category would include things like Public Servants and Policemen.

Think of it as a euphemism.
Have you given up?

Return to “General”