Blood donation poll

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What is your current blood donor status?

Have not tried donating.
28%
Have donated, plan to again.
38%
Have donated, probably won't again.
4%
Cannot donate, agree with why.
11%
Cannot donate, think I should be allowed to.
13%
Otter/duck.
6%

Total votes: 244

ACU-LP

Re: Blood donation poll

Postby ACU-LP » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:52 am UTC

Apart from being only 16, I was born in england and moved to Australia 5.8 years ago, hence am not allowed to give blood.
I would though, if I could...However I do not know if that is wise as after numerous experiments with physics detective gear (geiger counter etc), I am more than twice as radioactive as your average person (not much, I know, but more all the same), I emit 7 times the amount of radio waves as your average person, and I resonate at a frequency (something genetic) that means I am highly likely to be struck by lightning....
Damn
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:01 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:...Racing? How do you make it go faster?
I haven't actually tried it, but I know of ways to do it.

a) Be scared
b) You know the thing they ask you to squeeze every so often? Squeeze that heaps.

Guys, don't do that. In fact, interpret the fact that you can do it like that as a warning not to, rather than an idea.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

simply_me

Postby simply_me » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:50 am UTC

I can not due to being British and having Mad Cow Disease (Possibly)

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:05 am UTC

I tried giving blood two years in row. The whole time I was 16 I tried really hard to gain weight so I'd weigh 110lbs by the time I was 17. (You need to be at least 17 and 110lbs to donate) Somehow, I managed to do it, but my iron was too low :(

The next year, I took iron pills but somehow only weighed 106lbs the day my school had the blood drive.

I'd try again, but I'm having a hard time keeping my weight above 100 :?

legosaurus

Postby legosaurus » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:10 am UTC

I've donated many times before. Went to the blood drive on campus today, but they wouldn't let me. They think I have malaria!

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

I donated and passed out afterwards. The same day someone passed out while on the table, fell off the table, the tube busted off and blood started going everywhere.

I won't do it again

Cassidi3

Postby Cassidi3 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:05 am UTC

I'm terribly afraid of needles
[immunizations make me cry]
but i've still donated blood 4 times.

cycoden

Postby cycoden » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

I give blood from time to time, but since the local vampire nest blood bank isn't open on weekends, I'm usually tired, dehydrated and over-caffeineted when I get there, which sometimes makes it hard to actually extract blood. I'm one month short of being a high risk of mad cow disease too apparently, since I went to high school in glasgow for five months.

Once I went in and they couldn't get any blood out (I naturally have low blood pressure too) so they said come back tomorrow, when i came back tomorrow, the nurse was highly suspicious of the needle mark they'd messed up the previous day :roll:

Still, if you can do it, you should.
VectorZero wrote:SEXUAL INTERCOURSE DISGUSTS ME!
Spoiler:
Bulvox wrote:This is probably one of the few times that I'll agree with Cycoden on anything. I just wish that my brain worked like that.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

I donate blood three times a year and have for the last decade. By my calculations I have now donated just under three times my normal blood volume. It sounds like a lot, but a single patient in a severe trauma case could easily go through that much.

It's not entirely altruistic though as there's a very high chance that during my life I will need to make withdrawals from the blood bank, so I'd like to think I'm doing my bit to keep stocks high. :)
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Zer088

Postby Zer088 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

if the no donation country's living conditions are so bad as to make the blood bad, then where do all the country's on the no donation list get their blood from?
is it unhealthy, or is their green Vulcan blood inferior to our red American blood?
YaKKa Foob MoG. GRuG PubbaWuP ZiNK wattooM GaZoRK. CHuMBLE spuzz.
John Kaim: Love is the most powerful catalyst in existence.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

I donated once, and will do so again as soon as I can (I went to Belize last winter, so there's a 1 year period I can't donate in).

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

I've tried. many times. Failed at giving blood.

I can't now because I had a tattoo in the last 6 months.

I also don't really want to give blood.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

Would've, but didn't know whether I could or not until too late. I have a benign blood condition that could be mistaken for Leukemia, so I didn't want my blood getting thrown out upon examination, so I asked about it, and they didn't have an answer. They did get back to me, but it was already too late...

The above translates to a duck/otter vote in the poll.
This space intentionally left blank.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

I'm 6'6" and 200lbs and I got lightheaded once while giving blood. It was probably because I didn't eat much before I came in.

I want to give more blood than I am now. It's been about a year and there's really no reason why I shouldn't. I don't know if it's the blood loss or the helping people, but I get a warm fuzzy feeling for doing it.

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:50 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:
eternal luna wrote:...Racing? How do you make it go faster?
I haven't actually tried it, but I know of ways to do it.

a) Be scared
b) You know the thing they ask you to squeeze every so often? Squeeze that heaps.

Guys, don't do that. In fact, interpret the fact that you can do it like that as a warning not to, rather than an idea.

Yeah, I definitely don't recommend it or anything. I just go fast, my blood pressure is good, I'm pretty healthy. I haven't felt bad when I donated, the last time I just felt a little weak climbing the stairs in the dorm, but a Twix candy bar solved that and once I got some water on board, I was perfectly fine. You really shouldn't try to race though. It took me about 7 minutes to fill the bag, doesn't mean everyone needs to fill it in 10 or anything.

muffin of doom

Postby muffin of doom » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:52 am UTC

I donated blood maybe four or five times. It almost never went smoothly: once I passed out afterwards, once I got turned away for having low iron levels, once they weren't able to get a full pint out of me, and it always took them forever to find a vein (translation: they stabbed me repeatedly while looking). But I still tried to do it whenever there was a blood drive at my school. Then one time I showed up, gave them my information, and they told me that I was on their Do Not Accept list. "Why?" I asked. "We can't tell you," they said. "Call this number to find out." So I leave, completely freaked out and worried that I have some kind of awful disease and that maybe I'm going to die. Then I get to a phone, call the number, and eventually get told that the last time I donated, my blood tested positive for hepatitis, and even though they had tested it again and it turned out to be a false positive, they still wouldn't take my blood anymore. I'm not really sure what the logic is behind that, but at the time I was just grateful that I didn't have an incurable disease. So, yeah, haven't donated since then. It's possible they'll let me donate again sometime in the future, but I'm living overseas now, so at the moment it's a moot question.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:06 am UTC

Artemisia wrote:anywho, I voted can't donate (anymore) and don't agree with why. In NL the rules for donating blood changed recently. Everyone who has received a blood donation after 1980 has been exposed to the risk of being infected by creutzfeldt-jakob disease. That wasn't a problem up until they changed the rules, since it had this minor chance of making someone more ill than before bla bla. Chances, as I say, were very small. I had received blood in 1994, which excluded me forever from blood donation.
Weirdly enough, now that I live in the UK, there is suddenly no problem anymore!

Really? I know my boyfriend can't donate because he has received blood...

As for me, I tried to donate earlier this year and was informed my iron levels were shockingly low, and that I needed to get to my GP...a few weeks later I got a letter saying I'm not allowed to try to donate again for 12 months. So I'll try again next year, as long as my anaemia is still sorted...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

MirrorWing
Location: The tile adjacent to Ceiling Cat's, watchin' you masturbate.

Postby MirrorWing » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

I live in the United States (Florida, to be precise), and can't donate because I don't meet the weight restrictions. You have to be 110lbs to donate blood here, and last time I checked (Yesterday, thanks to the scale in Publix), I weigh 93lbs fully clothed, shoed, and carrying my purse/wallet/keys. I've tried to have the blood donation centers overlook it (They've said they'll usually go as low as 105, but not lower...), but they won't.

What I don't understand is why they won't just take my blood in proportion to my body weight. I might not be able to give the whole pint, but my blood type is O- which is, rather obviously, in demand. A person of ANY blood type can use mine, so even if you can't get the whole pint, wouldn't it still be useful?
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Image <--My life in a nutshell.

Spoiler:

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

I think it's because in proportion to your weight the amount of blood they could take for the amount they pay you for your time probably isn't worth it.

I weigh a few pounds more than you and they can't even take 2 or 3 vials of blood out of me for a simple blood test without it having a huge effect for at least a month, I shudder to think what it'd be like if I gave up a pint, or even a little less than a pint.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

Actually, the local donation center doesn't pay donors for their blood. It's a strictly volunteer thing. I think you get a $5 Olive Garden or BP giftcard every other time you give blood, that's it.

I've had to have quite a few blood tests done on me before (Had a nasty stress reaction the summer of 2007 that landed me in the ER a few times, they needed to find out exactly what happened) and I really have never had any trouble with it. Yeah, I feel a little dizzy when they first take the blood, but that's a I-don't-like-needles thing, not a bloodloss thing.
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Spoiler:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

The notion of getting paid for a blood donation is pretty weird to me, but I've donated a bunch of times, typically feeling pretty queezy after for a little while and then taking an INSANE nap and feeling fine about 3 hrs after.

Blood donation should be a shared responsibility thing for most, a healthful procedure for many (being a male with high blood pressure, I am particularly in this category.

During HS, while on the swim team we all donated blood and had to have the lanes taken out for lack of the ability to swim in a straight line.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

I dunno, I don't find the idea of getting paid for blood to be too weird...like I said, at my local donation center, every other donation you get a $5 giftcard to Olive garden or a $5 BP gas card. It's not so much a compensation as an incentive... they'll either pay for the gas you spent to get to the center, or pay for your food afterwards when you're feeling woozy.

I don't really see it as a "responsibility" either, any more than helping your fellow man is ever a responsibility. I do, however, think of it as paying for future help upfront. I'd like to know that if I ever need a blood transfusion, that blood will be there for my use, and I'm sure others feel the same way. So I'd like to donate blood to get that cycle going, give blood in the hopes of one day having someone return the favor to save my life.

And I know it's kind of serious, but the whole "couldn't swim straight" thing made me giggle. That's freaking hilarious.

Spoiler:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

MirrorWing wrote:It's not so much a compensation as an incentive... they'll either pay for the gas you spent to get to the center, or pay for your food afterwards when you're feeling woozy.

Oooohohoh, Yes, yes, I completely agree in doing this. Every time I've donated blood there's been huge tables of food with fruit and salty potato chips and gator aid and OJ... The first time I donated in HS was because of said tables actually. Yes, incentive is great, and it gives corporations the ability to get involved and do some charity work.

Making this process as easy as possible for all those involved is good. I just find the concept of giving someone say 20$ for a pint of blood sort of a negative incentive. It shouldn't be a last ditch means of bringing in money for the poor, it should be a matter of minimizing the inconvenience for everyone.

MirrorWing wrote:any more than helping your fellow man is ever a responsibility. I do, however, think of it as paying for future help upfront.

I don't object to those who wear the "I donated blood today!" badge as a means for displaying how good of a person they are. That's another incentive. And I agree that it is a means for ensuring blood availability in the future. Maybe because of your donation there is less of a shortage which means a trauma victim is impressed with the system which means they start donating. However it goes.

MirrorWing wrote:And I know it's kind of serious, but the whole "couldn't swim straight" thing made me giggle. That's freaking hilarious.

Serious? The amount of flaccidity jokes that got tossed around reached a new high :) But hey, it was incentive for the entire team of strappingly studly swimmers to donate, ya?

I was pretty nervous donating that time actually, and typically when donating get woozy and need to lie down (I think it's entirely a psychological effect of looking at a needle sticking into my arm combined with general dehydration), and one of my fleeting recollections prior to feeling the room spin was looking at my friend scoot over in a speedo with a bag of blood under his chair and go "Hey, hey man, you okay, you're pale as shit." while simultaneously getting dizzy himself and falling off the chair.

Typically when donating though, as I said, I get pale and queasy and need to lie down. It's kind of nice, as I usually close my eyes, and open them to a gaggle of matronly nurses putting cold compresses on my forehead and cooing "You okay sweetie, need some OJ or cookies?", and comon, who doesn't love being coo'ed over by matronly nurses?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

If you want to be real technical they can't legally pay you for your blood (or organs for that matter), they pay you for your time in the case of places that pay for it. My mom used to always donate blood and platelates to help pay for her tuition.

One of her best friends donates cause she's O whatever, but I don't know if she gets paid or not.

I'm guessing the weight requirements are for the people like me that can't handle losing any blood, I don't just get a little light headed, I pretty much sleep a whole day after it, and then I'm very weak for a month or more recovering from the blood test. Consider it more of a precaution for the light weights, whether they can handle the blood loss or not I guess.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

A month recover?! Yikes! I mean, I sleep the sleep of the EXHAUSTED, but I'm fine within 5-6 hrs.

O- is the universal donor and means you lack antigens for A and B, and have a - Rh factor. So, O- can donate to anyone, O+ can donate to anyone but O-.
A can donate to A or AB, with A+ not being able to donate to A-.
AB- can donate to AB- or AB+ but AB+ can only donate to AB+.

Zer088

Postby Zer088 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

I'm supprised to hear all these month long recoverys, I always feel the same aftawards, not the least bit tired, like I'd never donated blood, the only way you would know is by the bandage (must be blue)

colonelspecial

Postby colonelspecial » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

I am on my way to donating my second gallon, one pint at a time. I have never had a reaction to donating but I brought my husband for his first donation and he felt very light headed and had to lie down for 20 minutes. He is healthy weight and everything but it turns out that if you don't eat/drink much about 2 hours before you donate, your body can react poorly to it. He doesn't know if he will donate again but I will be back after the 56 day (such a weird time frame) waiting period.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

colonelspecial wrote:but I will be back after the 56 day (such a weird time frame) waiting period.

How is 8 weeks a weird time frame? :P

[Will reply to other stuff once I'm done setting up my new aquarium...]

Spoiler:

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

...I've just realised what this poll has wrong with it - I would like the first option split into "I haven't donated, and don't plan to" and "I haven't donated, but plan to at some point". I would choose the latter.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

I became religious about donating again straight after the 12 week limit was up as soon as I realised the whole process was about leveling up! But in all seriousness, I consider donating blood like paying taxes for social security - I don't need it now, but I sure want it to be there if i ever do. Plus donating makes for a nice afternoon of altruistic fuzziness and tea and biscuits.

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

haha, I used to complain sometimes that I had too much blood in me, and I needed to do something dangerous (cuz I was feeling slow). Turns out, I donated blood, never felt better, and now do it regularly.

Someone at my blood bank donated 86 gallons over a lifetime. :!: I'm hoping to get there...

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:53 am UTC

Zer088 wrote:I'm supprised to hear all these month long recoverys, I always feel the same aftawards, not the least bit tired, like I'd never donated blood, the only way you would know is by the bandage (must be blue)

yea, I'm pretty sure unless you have a metabolic disorder your blood is supposed to be renewed weekly or something anyway (I heard this once).
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:17 am UTC

I'm really young (13) so I can't donate blood yet, but I plan to. My blood type is O-, thus my blood will be quite useful :)
she/her

Zer088

Postby Zer088 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:24 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:yea, I'm pretty sure unless you have a metabolic disorder your blood is supposed to be renewed weekly or something anyway (I heard this once).

i heard it was closer to 120 days (average) estimates are 20 days to 200 days (i thought it was a big range too)

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:57 am UTC

Needles scare me far too much to donate blood... I got a shot that I didn't feel at all (nothing. at. all.) and yet I was still freaking out, repeating snippets of despairing phrases. For a half hour after the shot. :\
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

aligator1

Postby aligator1 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:08 am UTC

i've only given blood once, and plan to again, first time was eventful though;

i was fine with the needle and being drained of my blood, cause i'm fairly small it took me 14 mins to give a whole sample!! but i got into a state of shock because of the lack of blood, first sign was i was yawning incessantly and pale and clammy, then they gave me powerade and eventually i could sit up and go wait and eat biscuits, lol. whilst waiting i almost passed out again, they didn't even need to ask me if i was ok, they made me lay on the floor with my feet on a chair. i was with friends and they said it was better than watching tv :( then later that night me and my friends had a few drinkies (i don't recommend it!).

in saying that though, i would still give blood again, supposedly i shouldn't get shock the second time

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:31 am UTC

Zer088 wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:yea, I'm pretty sure unless you have a metabolic disorder your blood is supposed to be renewed weekly or something anyway (I heard this once).

i heard it was closer to 120 days (average) estimates are 20 days to 200 days (i thought it was a big range too)

that could be. it would certainly make more sense for people that take a month to recover.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

practisevoodoo

Postby practisevoodoo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:08 am UTC

I give blood in the uk on a pretty regualr basis. I always know when it is time to donate again because they call up to remind me. I have the good blood (O Rhesus Negative) so they bug me to donate again as soon as possible.

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:10 am UTC

Artemisia wrote:anywho, I voted can't donate (anymore) and don't agree with why. In NL the rules for donating blood changed recently. Everyone who has received a blood donation after 1980 has been exposed to the risk of being infected by creutzfeldt-jakob disease. That wasn't a problem up until they changed the rules, since it had this minor chance of making someone more ill than before bla bla. Chances, as I say, were very small. I had received blood in 1994, which excluded me forever from blood donation.
Weirdly enough, now that I live in the UK, there is suddenly no problem anymore!

Er, it is still a problem. You can't donate.

http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/b10faq.html

Q Why are people who have or think they may have received a blood transfusion since 1980 no longer able to give blood?

A This step has been implemented by all four of the UK Blood Services on 2nd August 2004. It is a further precautionary measure against the possible risk of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD) being transmitted by blood and blood products.

vCJD is thought to be the consequence of eating contaminated beef, related to BSE (or mad cow disease) in UK cattle after 1980. Fortunately, vCJD is very rare. But in late 2003, there was evidence that a blood donor transmitted vCJD to a patient, via transfusion. Scientists are not 100% sure that this is the case, as it is possible that both donor and patient acquired vCJD by eating contaminated beef.
Jesus Christ you have confused me

AtomicDuck

Postby AtomicDuck » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

I did once and Lifeshare won't stop harassing me with calls so I doubt I'll ever donate again.

Return to “General”