Sneaking Out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cooley

Sneaking Out

Postby Cooley » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:33 am UTC

So, for the first time ever, I snuck out of the house.

Where I went: midnight book release just now (Brisingr, I know I know... But I like it)
When: Two days before I move out anyways/just now

I feel somewhat... enlivened?

So, what is your story about sneaking out? Or your thoughts or whatever?

*I'm not encouraging anyone to sneak out of their parents' house, 'k? Your parents are wise (and they're your legal guardians) so don't sneak out and do stuff you know you're not supposed to do. I'm 18, so I'm going to pretend that makes it okay for me. :)

Furkins

Re: Sneaking Out

Postby Furkins » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:47 am UTC

Never had to sneak out because my parents trusted me and let me go out whenever I wanted to and unless I had school the next day, once I turned 14 I didnt have a curfew anymore. i love living in this country, you dont really have to worry about being shot, robbed or raped when you go out at night.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:51 am UTC

Have often snuck out in the dead of night to go to a boy's house. my window opens wide, onto a porch, easy 2m jump.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

My parents never really cared but I'd "sneak out" to walk to my boyfriend's house [he was about 5 miles away or so]. The only reason it was sneaking out was because they probably didn't want me walking alone in the dark.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

Oh man, I used to sneak out all the time growing up. Going to friends houses, parties... Got caught a few times as well. It never put me off though. I did it because my parents gave me a curfew which i thought was unreasonable, so i discussed it with them. The did not listen so i rebelled. I wish i didn't do it as much as I did, but i do not regret much.

(Also, I was always safe, and rebelling against parents for the sake of being cool, or just for the sake of rebelling is stupid)
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

I've never snuck out.
I live an hours walk from the closest train station, in a not-so-good-at-night area, on a 2-acre block, with three pretty alert dogs and windows with screens on them. The only time I've left the house at night without permission was to climb onto the room for a while and relax.

That said, I've lied when I go out: about where I'm going, who I'm going with, what we'll be doing, and so on. My parents trust me, but only to a point. They want definite plans on what I'll be doing, whereas I'd rather change my plans if a safer, more convenient option arises. I've never been caught out, and I don't plan to be. I'll be moving out fairly soon: problem solved.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

mostly, my parents let me out. when they don't, I go outside anyways, without sneaking. the one time I did something remotely like sneaking is the time I ha a fight with my dad at dinner, slammed the door outside, managing to slam it so hard I btoke the lock and unhinged it. my reaction upon coming back and discovering that was "awesome, all those pullups finally paid off".
It rains on the enemy too!

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

I suppose I could have "snuck out", only because my mum didn't know that I was gone. Though, that was because she was asleep. She probably wouldn't care anyway.

My parents are pretty relaxed about knowing my plans. I have been known to use the phrase "I'm going out.....somewhere. I'll be back.....sometime... Bye!" And they seem to have no problem.

But yeah, I can pretty much just leave my house whenever I like - I like my parents....

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

My mom never imposed a curfew on me, for some reason. I suppose it's because I wasn't much of a partyer, so on the few nights I did stay out late, I never needed to ask. So any time I "snuck out" it was because my mom didn't know I was going, not because she didn't want me to.

Something that comes to mind is that just a few weeks ago, at one in the morning, I decided I wanted to go for a walk. Everyone else was asleep, so I put on some clothes and shoes, opened the front door very quietly, and...went for a walk. It was kind of weird, I wasn't afraid of being out at night at all, I just walked a bunch of places and it was lovely, was out for about 40 minutes.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Something that comes to mind is that just a few weeks ago, at one in the morning, I decided I wanted to go for a walk. Everyone else was asleep, so I put on some clothes and shoes, opened the front door very quietly, and...went for a walk. It was kind of weird, I wasn't afraid of being out at night at all, I just walked a bunch of places and it was lovely, was out for about 40 minutes.
I've considered deliberately waking up at about 3am and doing this, but the stairs are really quite creaky and my parents' room is at the bottom of them, so I don't know if I'd make it past. I could maybe experiment by going downstairs for a drink in the middle of the night once or twice...

I don't go out at night very often, but doubt I'd get very much resistance for reasons similar to Quixotess - I've not been out on a regular basis up until now, and I'm fairly trusted by my parents. I would possibly get away with Quadropus' "somewhere...", but I doubt I'd manage the "sometime..." part.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

Furkins wrote:i love living in this country, you dont really have to worry about being shot, robbed or raped when you go out at night.

...What country is this?
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Dave Rapp

Postby Dave Rapp » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

I've been known to go out at any time between 10PM and 5AM. I once walked to walmart at 2AM in 20 degree weather on christmas eve.

Problem is there's nowhere to walk 'round here, so I mostly just end up walking to walmart, which is super close by, and buy junkfood.
My webcomic is made with 100% LEGO products and I think you should check it out.
http://www.lq-comic.com

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

Fat Tony wrote:
Furkins wrote:i love living in this country, you dont really have to worry about being shot, robbed or raped when you go out at night.
...What country is this?
Germany?
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

I've never snuck out as much as snuck 'on'. Due to varying opininons between my parents and me on how late/much I should be at the PC, I have quite a few times stayed on when they assume I've gone to bed.

Now that I'm 18 my parents are more relaxed regarding gaming and have just accepted that I stay on later, especially on weekends.

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

heehee, here too. I've heard there's some less nice areas in the eastern parts of the city, but I live right on the western edge, and there really isn't any trouble here.
It rains on the enemy too!

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:11 am UTC

I don't have to sneak out, I can just leave when I want. :P Now, if I were to sneak the car out... but I don't have a license yet anyway.

And yes, 3AM walks are fun.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Savara

Postby Savara » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:10 am UTC

I can and do just leave whenever, but being 6'4", a guy, & 19years old (just about to go to uni) my mum doesn't worry too much about me. :)
Oddly enough I've always had large open bay windows & a nice conservatory roof to escape down onto, but never felt the urge to use it..
'Ridcully was to management what King Herod was to the Bethlehem Playgroup Association'

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:41 am UTC

Living half an hours drive from anywhere, it hasn't come up. My parents are cool with me going wherever though, so It probably have been something I did.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

As a teen, I never snuck out. I wasn't rebellious enough. Some of my friends did, though. I remember one night they tried to get me to sneak out, but I forgot to stay awake long enough to do so. I sleep like the dead, so any noise they made right outside my window would have gone unheard, except maybe by my parents.

Wait. There was one time, but it wasn't at night. It was in broad daylight. I was on restriction at the time, meaning I wasn't supposed to leave the house to visit friends, but they could visit me. I went with them one afternoon to Mother Hubbard's, a nearby convenience store. We walked back to a friend's house who lived a bit closer than I did, and stood in their driveway while we ate our snacks we bought. I remember having a pint of ice cream that day. Sure enough, my dad drives by in his truck (he always got off early from work at the time), but I either didn't know I was on restriction, or else I forgot. When I got home, I did get into some trouble.

Now that I'm an adult, but living with my parents (again), I do "sneak out" on occasion. They really don't care since I'm an adult, so it kind of takes away the thrill. I did worry them one time. I left the house early one Saturday morning, and didn't come home until close to suppertime (around 5 or 6 PM). My mom was all in a panic, saying that she wasn't sure when you can file a missing persons report (I think it's 24 or 48 hours after noticing they're gone), I should have left a note, etc. etc. etc.

Now when I plan to be gone most of the day, I shoot them an e-mail saying that I'll be out. I don't specify where I'm going, usually. I just say I'm going out, and should be back mid to late afternoon.
PRG

An important message for you:

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Wow, now I feel bad. I stole a car with some friends to go rent movies after midnight in Vancouver one time, but we ended up getting on the highway and driving for about two hours before we found out how to get back. Also, we didn't really care, since Overnight was still on the air back then and we were just blasting the music at 11 the entire time.

But staying online past your bedtime... that's naughty, too.

Silvyr

Postby Silvyr » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:03 pm UTC

Blinke wrote:I've never snuck out as much as snuck 'on'. Due to varying opininons between my parents and me on how late/much I should be at the PC, I have quite a few times stayed on when they assume I've gone to bed.

same here. I don't really have a reason to sneak out though. My friends that live close to me are almost always asleep by eleven if not before. Also.. I don't really feel the need to rebel like that. My parents trust me [somewhat] and I don't really get into trouble.. *shrugs* I know. I'm lame.
Asmodieus wrote:You're a Cullen, Silvyr.

Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Postby Number3Pencils » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

I've snuck out a lot. Sometimes it was to go on secret midnight rendezvous with a friend of mine, who would also sneak out to do it. His parents are a lot stricter than mine. To wit: once, I snuck out with him but left the cat in my room. When the cat wouldn't quit meowing, my mom realized I had probably snuck out, so she drove around looking for me. She found us walking toward the local gas station–ice cream shop place, and just talked to me for a while about how I should tell her if I want to do this sort of thing, and she wants to know she can trust me. Then she let us keep walking. At that point I turned to my friend and said, "That there was the difference between my parents and yours." And he said, "That was a showcase of it!"
Our model for sneaking out is Daniel Pinkwater's incredible book The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death. These two middle-school guys sneak out each night and meet each other at a bus station, and take the 1am bus to the Snark Theater, and watch obscure movies. Daniel Pinkwater writes things you wish were real. I want the Snark in my hometown.
But other than Snarking Out, my sneaking out generally consisted of walking up the stret to a little park. Then we moved and I went off to college (in the same month). Since then my mom hasn't cared at all if my friend comes by and picks me up an 2, 3 in the morning. So I guess I really can't sneak out - that implies that I'm not allowed to be doing it, but now no one cares at all. Also the park isn't there. But sometimes I go to a different park.
Spoiler:

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

I've never really snuck out, because I really donno where I'd go. None of my friends live close enough to walk to, and I'm defunct of cash so I'd not be able to buy junk food or anything like that.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:43 am UTC

I never really snuck out, living 20km away from anywhere interesting. But I do do the nidnight walks thing in the summer (got to get back into that) if I can't sleep. We live quite close to a Buddhist retreat, so I walk down and look at the gardens and the stupa.

However, I do lie to my parents a lot about what I'm doing on a particular night. I find that the best way is to deliberately exaggerate what will happen ("Junks just got like a kilo of smack, so we'll be inside all night") and then when they ask what's really going to happen, I'll say something like "Few quiet drinks, maybe town". That way, they just assume I'm joking about the whole getting high thing.

Then when i come home, I tell my mum she's going to be a grandmother. Fun times.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Return to “General”