The Calculator Thread!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sir_Elderberry

Re: The Calculator Thread!

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:20 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:What's with you Americans obsession with graphing calculators... I've never even seen one, and I've done university maths :/

They're really helpful, actually. I can do the things I do on regular calculators--usually, as mentioned, the AP Calc test strongly recommends using one, because they have functions of raw evil that need integrating--but there's something very refreshing about being able to bind K, e0, G, and lots of other constants to various letters. I still remember 1/4pie0, 8.85 x 10^-12, and 6.67 x 10^-11, but having them programmed makes it easier.

Plus, Tetris.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:21 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
Hit3k wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:Um, I have one of these.
-image-
You people scare me with your numbers...

Damn, that's gotta be one of the sexiest calculator I have ever seen! How much can it do?

Its just a scientific calculator that "naturally displays forumlae" as you input them. They're pretty much the standard in scientific calculators now I guess.

TI-30XS Multiview does this (hence the 'multiview' bit). And yes, it is sexy. Even sexier, I daresay, because it's a TI.

I don't get it. Is my calculator any good?

Because, seriously, all I used to do was write obscene error messages.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:38 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:What's with you Americans obsession with graphing calculators... I've never even seen one, and I've done university maths :/

They're really helpful, actually. I can do the things I do on regular calculators--usually, as mentioned, the AP Calc test strongly recommends using one, because they have functions of raw evil that need integrating--but there's something very refreshing about being able to bind K, e0, G, and lots of other constants to various letters. I still remember 1/4pie0, 8.85 x 10^-12, and 6.67 x 10^-11, but having them programmed makes it easier.

Plus, Tetris.

programmable calculators are not allowed in -any- official examinations that I know of, over here.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:43 am UTC

Here, they are often expected. I mean, I took my SAT last year with a regular one because mine was left in my locker on the Saturday in question, but I was one of the few using that one.

The AP Calculus test will require a graphing calculator capable of integration. If you can do that test accurately, in the time limits, and by hand, you do not need to take it. (Hence, there's a portion that says, "graphing calculator required".)

Well. You heard him.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:21 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Plus, Tetris.
...not really. Once you get to a certain skill level, the calculator's buttons turn out to be too slow to respond to presses, and difficult to tap quickly. The best version of tetris I've found yet runs on my mobile phone - it's simple, reliable, free, and fast.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:34 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:

Plus, Tetris.

programmable calculators are not allowed in -any- official examinations that I know of, over here.

Maybe not in NSW where all you smart people are :P. But down here we can have programmable graphing calculators in our maths exams only (no sciences). They don't even make us wipe the memory anymore.
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

I have to admit that I do not like calculators since they have this stupid tendency to fail in the most crucial moments. In this respect, they're worse than condoms! :P

I used to have a good one (made by Sharp) but before one important test in school, it failed. It would no longer turn on and changing batteries didn't help. I had to do without one and got a 5. Later I had to buy the exactly same model due to stupid gymnasium (in Germany, this word refers to a type of school) regulations and before an important exam, in Uni, I tested it and lo and behold, it failwed again. Ma had to drive 30 kilometers early in the morning to bring me one of hers. I don't have that one atm because I borrowed it to someone whose calculator (believe it or not) failed on the day of an important test. *needs to check whether he did put it into the mailbox as promised*
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:Plus, Tetris.
...not really. Once you get to a certain skill level, the calculator's buttons turn out to be too slow to respond to presses, and difficult to tap quickly. The best version of tetris I've found yet runs on my mobile phone - it's simple, reliable, free, and fast.

Well, there are other games less iconic than Tetris. I can do the Towers of Hanoi puzzle now. Blindfolded.

Well. You heard him.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Hurduser wrote:I used to have a good one (made by Sharp) but before one important test in school, it failed. It would no longer turn on and changing batteries didn't help. I had to do without one and got a 5. Later I had to buy the exactly same model due to stupid gymnasium (in Germany, this word refers to a type of school) regulations and before an important exam, in Uni, I tested it and lo and behold, it failwed again. Ma had to drive 30 kilometers early in the morning to bring me one of hers. I don't have that one atm because I lent it to someone whose calculator (believe it or not) failed on the day of an important test. *needs to check whether he did put it into the mailbox as promised*

I think there's some unwritten rule about correcting people for whom English is not their first language, but I couldn't resist.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Hit3k wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:

Plus, Tetris.

Maybe not in NSW where all you smart people are :P. But down here we can have programmable graphing calculators in our maths exams only (no sciences). They don't even make us wipe the memory anymore.

and I managed to pass an extension maths exam, with no calculator whatsoever :P

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:35 am UTC

A HW2 (non-titanium) TI-89 since early 2003. It's been my main one since it's predecessor (a HW1 TI-89, bought c. 2000) got damaged in a rainstorm.
Why do you assume that I exist?

Yuffie

Postby Yuffie » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:46 am UTC

Those MultiView calcs took my algebra class by storm after everyone discovered that they could make tables and had the algebraic equivalents of numbers like the cosine of 30 degrees programmed in.

But only because we can't use graphers.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImageRawr.

CivilDefense700

Postby CivilDefense700 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:29 am UTC

TI BA-35, small financial calc that fits in a shirt pocket and has a book like case. Probably 20 or more years old, I love the clicks that the buttons make, feels like its physically doing something.
K and E Log Log duplex slide rule, I only know how to do multiplication on it but with the manual I could do practically any computation you could ask for. Its also EMP proof :D
Casio 9750, easy to use, my calculator for all 4 years of high school.
TI-83, my brother's calculator from high school. At least ten years old and still working. Had to learn how to use it for college, when I started to use it I came up with the analogy that its like working with MS-DOS and the casio is like windows 95.

I also have various circular slide rules for the purpose of calculating exposure to radiation and even one that calculates the effects of nuclear explosions such as blast and radiological effects.
"I happen to have access to one of the sexiest lasers on the eastern seaboard."

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

Rouse wrote:8008135.
Shouldn't it be 5318008? (Which would be an awesome phone number.)
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Daemen

Postby Daemen » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:45 am UTC

TI-Nspire - This is my favourite. The prettyprint that's even visible as I'm inputing stuff. The ability to manipulate graphs. The notes program. Especially with prettyprint. And of course the ability to save all my current work as a document. The TI-84 emulator is also a plus.

TI-89 Titanium - This one I have from my school. They lend them to those taking AP Calculus. We'll have to give them back at the end of the semester, though. I'm thinking about maybe getting a TI-Nspire CAS when that happens. I'd like to have the CAS features of the 89, and also the Nspire features that I mentioned above. I actually wish that I had got the Nspire CAS to begin with. I hardly use the 84 keypad with my Nspire anymore.

TI-30xIIB - This one is my standard scientific calc. I've had it before either of my graphing calculators. Unfortunately, I still have to use it. On quizzes and tests in AP Calc, were not allowed to use our TI-89s (or any other graphing calculator for that matter).

For those who have the TI-Nspire CAS, how does it compare to the TI-89?

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:21 am UTC

I have a question: why are graphing calculators so damn expensive? I mean, my DS has comparable power (only 4MB RAM, but a 67MHz processor), with a two colour screens (one a touch screen) and a rechargeable battery, for a comparable cost. Aside from not having any calculator buttons, couldn't a DS do pretty much the same thing?

I'm pretty much a graphing calculator n00b, aside from programming infinite loops on school TI-83's in grade 9. I figure there's something I'm missing.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:33 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
Hit3k wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:

Plus, Tetris.

and I managed to pass an extension maths exam, with no calculator whatsoever :P

Well, in Victoria we sit two maths exams. One with calculator/reference material (text book) and one without either. In the one without calculators they want exact answers and in the other they want the other kind of answer which I forget the name for at this point in time... approximations? Which extension anyway?
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:58 am UTC

Rippy wrote:I have a question: why are graphing calculators so damn expensive? I mean, my DS has comparable power (only 4MB RAM, but a 67MHz processor), with a two colour screens (one a touch screen) and a rechargeable battery, for a comparable cost. Aside from not having any calculator buttons, couldn't a DS do pretty much the same thing?

I'm pretty much a graphing calculator n00b, aside from programming infinite loops on school TI-83's in grade 9. I figure there's something I'm missing.

One part monopoly (If you need one, you NEED one)
One part single-sale (with a DS, Nintendo makes a bit on every game you buy - a calculator is a one-shot buy, though)
One part it's bloody fucking difficult to write a user-friendly calculator OS in such heavily restricted hardware environments
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Lanth

Postby Lanth » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

Started off with a HP 39g+. Got a version of Tetris on it, played it very often, pretty much best in the school at it. Unfortunately, repeatedly using the rotate buttons made them loose. I changed them every once in a while, but eventually when the new HP 39gs came out, got Dad to buy me one of them (claiming it's better, need the best to do my best, can have two in exams, etc). It's currently sitting on my desk (batterys dead though :( Hope I haven't lost my high-scores)

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

I think my Nspire CAS is dead. :(
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

I don't want to dump a general thread into a Mathematics thread, but this thread may interest you calculator buffs.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Sorroth

Postby Sorroth » Thu May 21, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

Arise, O Calculator Thread...

So, I'm thinking of buying a TI calculator. I'm leaning fairly strongly towards to Nspire range, because of their high versatility and niftiness quotient, but if I'm given compelling reasons to for an 84+ or an 89 instead, then I'm happy to listen, though as far as I can tell, the Nspire can do everything the 84 could, and even had a swap-in 84 keypad. (Can the Nspire CAS do that?)

My main question is whether or not I should get the Nspire CAS or the regular old Nspire. The CAS one is a bit more expensive, and I haven't been able to find detailed info on exactly what the advantages of the symbolic system are. Any advice/opinions/anecdotes/ohdeargoddon'tdothats would be very welcome.
</streamofconsciousness>

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Thu May 21, 2009 11:49 pm UTC

Are there any usage restrictions, or is this all about performance/interface/compatibility?
Why do you assume that I exist?

Sorroth

Postby Sorroth » Fri May 22, 2009 6:56 am UTC

After a bit more research, it turns out that the non-CAS model is acceptable in exams if it is put in a "Press to test" mode beforehand. According to my exam boards, symbolic algebra manipulation is a no-no, which disinclines me to go with the CAS somewhat, unless the CAS has a mode that cripples it disables enough features that it's okay.]

What I really need to know at this stage is A: What advantages CAS has over a lack thereof, and B: If it is possible to disable features in the Nspire CAS that exam boards would find objectionable.
Last edited by Sorroth on Sat May 23, 2009 11:05 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
</streamofconsciousness>

Radek

Postby Radek » Fri May 22, 2009 7:11 am UTC

I sometimes use my Nintendo DS on which I run a homebrew "Eigenmath DS". It manipulates symbolic algebraic expressions. :) The current version still can't run scripts because of a bug, but it should be fixed soon.

It is fun to use Nintendo DS during class, everyone thinking that you're playing some games until they find out your cool computer algebra system. :P

Catch22

Postby Catch22 » Sun May 24, 2009 3:44 am UTC

asad137 wrote:I used to have a TI-85 that I used through high school, college, and most of grad school until I lost it (easily 10+ years). I loved that thing <sniff>. (No, I'm not crying, I just have a cold.)

Now I use windows calculator or whatever calculator I can beg, borrow, or steal from other people in the lab.

Asad

Could have made almost the exact same post. Just no grad school, and not quite 10 years. Definitely need to get a new calc, just not sure if i want to part with $100+.

Right now I have a 12 digit solar 5 function calc i bought at Big Lots for $2. Not quite cutting it.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sun May 24, 2009 5:28 am UTC

I've got a Pickett N902-ES. If I need more digits of precision, I've got something solar-powered from Texas Instruments around here somewhere, but it doesn't get much use.

amorya

Postby amorya » Sun May 24, 2009 8:21 pm UTC

I have this:

Cunningly it does numeric integration, but looks otherwise identical to the one that's legal in GCSE and A-Level exams. Nobody ever spotted me :)

Amorya

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sun May 24, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

[To the guy above me]
I had that same calculator for a while too! (Also while doing GSCEs). It served me pretty well and it had the option to display a bigger r than you normally get with pressing shift and then DRG so spelling stuff out with it was better than the upgrade of that. Unfortunately, I have no idea where it is now, so I have to settle for a better calculator for maths, but the memories of yo().Are.A.5ME9.)-(EAD are long gone...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

raptor.fortress

Postby raptor.fortress » Mon May 25, 2009 7:27 am UTC

A brain, An Fx-82AU and a pencil.

Any man worth his soul can do any piece of math with these three items.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
- Ernest Hemingway.

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Mon May 25, 2009 8:24 am UTC

I had a casio one - light gray and purple buttons, I can't remember which type it was. I lost it a few years ago and had to borrow my brothers one which is the same as amorya's.
Now, all I need a calculator for ia a bit of scaling so I use the calculator on my phone (if I could work out how, stupid new phone).
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon May 25, 2009 8:53 am UTC

I have a TI-89 Titanium that was a waste of money.

Here Texas Instruments is, peddling this THING with a black-and-white screen, locked-out firmware, etc...
And my Palm Z22 is cheaper and just about as good computationally [bit harder to type equations on]

But because of software stupidity, I have a bulky device that was used maybe 2 or 3 semesters that I can't use for anything else, and a tiny device that is used very rarely for PDA tasks, AND I ALSO CAN'T USE IT FOR ANYTHING ELSE.

:evil: Graphing calculators are the worst case of vendor lock-in I've seen in a long time.

My Casio pocket solar calculator, however, has always worked quite nicely, never needed batteries, and never been too powerful for any test... And it cost like $10, which is much better than paying for a full computer and getting some locked-in sh-

nevermind.

Anyway, I'm hoping the Pandora console will have a graphing program so that it will replace my calculator in addition to replacing my PDA and MP3 player. The hardware is supposed to be around Xbox or Gamecube-level, so 3D graphing will be colorful and real-time in hardware-accelerated OpenGL rather than the 89's .. erm... "3d graphing ability"

ChibiPez

Postby ChibiPez » Mon May 25, 2009 9:04 am UTC

I'm sitting on a TI-30x not allowed to have anything else.

One my second one tho...the last one dove gracefully to it's 10.0 death from a locker one day. well i'd say 9.7 the splash was a bit too big.

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Wed May 27, 2009 10:03 am UTC

We have to have the Casio Classpad 330. It's a touchscreen, and I'm waiting for the day when I lose my stylus and have to spend the exam trying to work it with my fingernails. But... it's decent. Sometimes it annoys me. It has its quirks.
Personally, I prefer my good old EL-531WH SHARP Scientific calc. No graphing capabilities, but I know how to use it and it hasn't failed me yet.
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed May 27, 2009 11:36 am UTC

I think I'm the first person here that doesn't actually own a calculator any more. If it's too complicated to do in my head or with a pen and paper I just use excel or, for more complicated stuff, a more complicated maths package (I take perverse pleasure in doing large multiplications and long division by mental arithmetic these days, so that's basically anything with trig, logs, &c.) This wouldn't have worked at uni, when I didn't have a computer within arms reach at all times (in lectures and classes), but for work and at home it's fine.

I used to have an old TI graphing calculator at school which, as has been noted, wasn't allowed into any of the exams here anyway. In fact my university didn't allow you to bring your own calculator into exams at all. You were supplied with a stock one (a mid-range basic casio model) - they told you what the model was a few months before the exams and you were expected to be familiar with them.

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Wed May 27, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

Primary: TI-84 Plus
Not as fancy as the TI-89, but it's allowed on a lot of tests where the 89 is explicitly forbidden. Mine also has the full version of the periodic table application.

Secondary: TI-36X Solar
I've had one of these since my middle school days (one was stolen, so I had to get it replaced) IMO it's the best scientific calculator on the market (loaded with physical constants, converts units, does logic, fraction<->decimal conversion, I could go on.) Simply brilliant, and it never needs a change of batteries.

Tertiary: slide-rule. It was my grandfather's; An elegant calculator, for a more civilized age. It's not terribly useful to me, since most of my classes have stopped dealing with non-nice numerical values.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed May 27, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

casio CFX-9850G
4 colour screen, oh yes.
Saw me thought maths and further maths A-levels, and everything since. One of my friends somehow worked out put an old gameboy version of mario on there. :mrgreen:

aeromax

Postby aeromax » Wed May 27, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

I refuse to use anything besides my TI84PSE. By my random, staggering estimate, I've eliminated hundreds of hours of grinding homework with my elite programming skill. I'm in the Cemetech archive :>

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:16 am UTC

I have a TI84+SE. Its pretty cool,, and I guess I just don't need the 89.
I <3 having the periodic table and unit converter, it makes chem so much easier.

I also have a 30XA for when I lose my grapher/ need to remove distraction of games.

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Thu May 28, 2009 1:16 am UTC

Secateurs wrote:EL-531WH SHARP Scientific calc.

This. I've never owned a graphic calculator. They're not allowed in calc courses here. My sister owns a TI-80, but you have to look at the screen at an angle to see anything.

Return to “General”