How many people will admit to being a bad driver?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Qyn

How many people will admit to being a bad driver?

Postby Qyn » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:15 am UTC

Hey all, would like a question answered. (Thread title for you memory-challenged).

It has occurred to me over the past year of near-death experiences that some people will arrogantly assume anything that makes their choices while driving seem right. Case and point: I point out to my girlfriend that she doesn't allow for other drivers to occasionally "make bad decisions" and leave more of a cushion between her and other traffic. She states that she shouldn't have to worry about other drivers, because if they hit er it'll be their fault. While this may be true, it still sucks to get into an accident, and there is no guarantee that you'll make it out unscathed. Irony of ironies is that I'm the one with the at-fault accident. (It involves a wet road and some shoddy tires, that I returned, forcefully.) (Well, I'm a Canadian, so, politely with some insistence).

I posted this thread here of all places to get a non-car forum's intelligent response to my query. Moreover, I want some thoughts on why driving skill in general is so poor among people the world over.

Dont hate on my newb status! Never really thought of xkcd as something that'd have a forum... just loved the comic and the math.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Re: How many people will admit to being a bad driver?

Postby KingLoser » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:19 am UTC

I'm a terrible driver. /fess

I think common sense is the most important thing to bring with you on the road. And always, always assume everyone else is a tard. I know this gives off vibes of elitism, but it's true, to be prepared for anything you need to be alert of every driver that comes close to your car. Also, leave enough distance between the car in front of you to be able to stop suddenly. If you go into the back of someone elses car, it's your fault, you were too close and not prepared for the unexpected.

Anyway, most of this doesn't apply to me.. Like I said, I'm a menace to the road. :lol:
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Abstruse

Postby Abstruse » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:36 am UTC

I've totaled 4 cars.

I'm a bad driver.

annals

Postby annals » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:09 am UTC

I kind of doubt that as many people are bad drivers as we think are bad drivers. You don't notice the good ones, and everyone has moments where they do stupid things.

Me, I'm not great. I'm generally too timid (though I'm getting better), and when I'm in a stressful spot I second guess myself and make slow, sloppy decisions.

Parking, now, that's another story altogether. I'm horrible at parking.

seladore

Postby seladore » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:18 am UTC

You should read up on the Lake Wobegon Effect. It's a cognitive bias that results in the vast majority of people rating themselves as 'above average' in tasks, despite this being statistically impossible. (Assuming a Gaussian distribution).

It's related to the Dunning-Kruger effec, whereby people with exceptionally low abilities in an area tend to be exceptionally bad at realistically assessing their own abilities relative to others.

So, very few people would rate themselves as bad drivers. And the worse someone is at driving, the worse they are at realising that they are a bad driver.

Qyn

Postby Qyn » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:39 am UTC

seladore wrote:You should read up on the Lake Wobegon Effect. It's a cognitive bias that results in the vast majority of people rating themselves as 'above average' in tasks, despite this being statistically impossible. (Assuming a Gaussian distribution).

It's related to the Dunning-Kruger effec, whereby people with exceptionally low abilities in an area tend to be exceptionally bad at realistically assessing their own abilities relative to others.

So, very few people would rate themselves as bad drivers. And the worse someone is at driving, the worse they are at realising that they are a bad driver.

Thanks for the suggestions! That's exactly what I was hoping for, intelligent discussion!

The Dunning-Kruger effect is pretty much the perfect analysis for my line of reasoning. Makes me wish everyone had at least one day to drive with an F1 racer... realize what true skill is. Even NASCAR (as much as I really don't like it) takes some skills that I'm not sure I currently have.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:21 pm UTC

Qyn wrote:Even NASCAR (as much as I really don't like it) takes some skills that I'm not sure I currently have.
Let me assure you that you do not. That does not, however, make you a bad driver. Racing and driving have very little in common of overlapping skill sets (with the obvious one being confidence).

I'm a decent driver, if aggressive, but I have had a number of bad-driver moments, especially in the last 2 weeks or so (since I moved to a new town that I wasn't at all familiar with). KingLoser hit the nail pretty well on the head with the "assume everyone else will screw up at all times" mode of thought.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

frezik

Postby frezik » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

KingLoser wrote:And always, always assume everyone else is a tard.

I like how the motorcycle handbooks in pretty much every state's DMV tend to make you think that everyone in a car is a blithering moron. It's not just the culture saying it, but also actual government documents.

I tend to speed a lot, predict the light patterns and hit the gas slightly before they turn green, and change lanes faster than is really necessary. OTOH, my only two accidents were 1) someone else running a stop sign under slippery conditions, and 2) the car in front of me stalling out at a light when I had just turned to glance at the radio.

If any politician was really serious about about road safety (and didn't care so much about getting reelected), they'd twerk driving requirements way up so that 20-40% of the worst drivers are cut away (probably while also increasing the quality of public transportation). Make people retake a drivers test every 5-10 years, increasing the difficulty of that test, and requiring regular saftey inspections on cars. Snowy areas would require the use of snow tires or snow chains. The phrase "Driving is a privilege, not a right" would actually be true, rather than a laughable cliche.

More signs don't help. Speed limits don't help. Safety systems in cars only help so far. These are just things ignoring the fact that idiots need to be thrown off the road.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Indon

Postby Indon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

I'm inclined to think that the majority of people are good drivers, just with their bad moments (and those are the ones we remember).

Personally, my bad moments tend to involve me parking.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

I used to be a *very* bad driver, the number of car accidents I had in my first ~5 years of driving can attest to that. I'm a significantly better driver now. I like to think I'm a good driver, but it is difficult to judge accurately. I know my single biggest failing is that my attention wanders to easily. Most of the accidents I've had or bad situations I've gotten myself into were the result of me not paying attention.

I try much harder to be aware now, and probably more importantly I'm no longer trying to be there first. I drive slower and more relaxed and are more than willing to let the people who want/'need to be there ahead of me go right ahead and do it. Done wonders for my stress levels while driving, and I haven't noticed a major difference in how fast I get places.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Kachi
Publicly Posts Private Messages

Postby Kachi » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

I drive badly.

I have excellent coordination and reflexes, and am very aware of my surroundings. I've never caused an accident save for a couple of careless bumper brushes with parked cars.

But I'm not afraid of getting in an accident and I drive pretty recklessly. I don't keep my eyes on the road or even in focus, I frequently drive with only one finger on the wheel, even during turns, I accelerate and brake too quickly, and make hard turns. If it weren't for what I can only describe as a real "talent" for driving, I could never get away with driving so horribly. To my credit, I generally follow the law within the technical specifications, but speeding, signaling and all that aside, I could easily be stopped for reckless driving-- even endangerment, I imagine.

I discourage people from driving like me.

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

I'm a good driver, except when I'm not.

But I'm fairly sure the exceptions are rare, so would that count as being a good driver overall?
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

Bondidude

Postby Bondidude » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:29 pm UTC

I'm a decent driver, but the place where I live has made me a worse driver.

That's mainly because everyone here drives like maniacs, so to even survive on the road you have to drive like a maniac yourself.

So, I would say I'm a good drive for the most part, but other people make it impossible at other times. I always assume the worst with people on the road. I give myself plenty of space, etc. Of course I break those rules on occassion, but then again, everyone does at one time or another.
"Chess is such a difficult game. Sooo many pieces." - Rivers Cuomo, Chess

Libertine

Postby Libertine » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

Well, I'm a truly bad driver and I admit it. So bad that I don't drive at all even though I'm 25 and I have my license. Apparently I terrify my passengers :oops: Intersections and road rules confuse me. Directions are a big problem. I can memorize a set course, but if I'm forced to deviate and re-calculate the directions in my head, I just can't do it. I'm directionally-dyslexic. Often I just don't know what to do or where to go.

My guess is that alot of bad drivers on the road are only driving because they don't have any other option. I've never had to drive. My parents didn't have the patience to teach me how to drive, but I got a boyfriend at 16 who did all the driving (my dad actually told him "Don't let her drive!"). He was patient enough to try and teach me, but my driving mistakes made me so nervous that I just hated it and gave up. We're still together, he still does the driving. And I live in an area with decent public transportation, so I can get around by myself if I want to go shopping or do chores. Most people aren't as lucky so they're forced to drive at some point in their lives even if they aren't good at it, at least if they want to live a remotely normal life.

Also, driver's education in school is a joke. I took Driver's Ed and it didn't teach me how to drive. Streets are getting more crowded and complicated due to the population and urban sprawl. Factor in that some young people will have parents (like mine) who won't seriously try and teach them to drive, and you end up with a real hit-or-miss driving populace.
"Libertine has come to mean one devoid of any restraints, especially one who ignores or even spurns religious norms, accepted morals, and forms of behaviour sanctioned by the larger society." - Wikipedia

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

After 10 years of observation, I have determined that I have the only car in the entire world with turn signals.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:After 10 years of observation, I have determined that I have the only car in the entire world with turn signals.
Special Edition, eh? Nice.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. If I could have an alternate horn that would yell "If you use your turn signal, I'll let you in" loud enough to hear inside another car, I would pay nearly any amount of money for it.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

I am an awesome and horrible driver.
I speed. A lot.
Generally I'm pretty good with the rest of it. But, I've demonstrated my inability to navagate and drive at the same time as well.

I'm great.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:20 pm UTC

Generally I'm a good driver. I use my mirrors and turn signals and stay more or less within posted limits, and I can drive stick on any road in any weather; I think that's a good basis for calling myself above-average. When I'm familiar with the vehicle I'm driving and the roads I'm driving on, I'd say I'm an excellent driver. But I do have a tendency to get sleepy on the highway, which is just one reason I hate driving on the highway. And I don't drive that often, as I don't own a car, so if it's been a while since I was behind the wheel I try to be extra careful—I don't think that makes me a good driver, I think it just makes me someone who's aware of being a weak driver. I don't care who you are, good driver + 12 months of no driving = weak driver.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

I haven't driven much after completeting my driving exam. I still have to complete the dark driving part, but I don't have a car or the time. If I don't do it in two months I lose my license (not that I have any intentions of even getting a car in the forseeale future).

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

I'm careful, I obey the laws within reason (including turn signals, which are apparently optional equipment in Florida, but then again driving like a sane person is optional and generally discouraged down there), and I'm pretty good in nasty road conditions (grew up in upstate NY). I have never been in an accident.

But honestly, my reflexes are pretty slow and my depth perception isn't all that great. If I were a reckless driver I'd have been killed years ago, because I'm just not good enough to pull it off. I also don't like fast, crowded traffic. It didn't help that there was only one divided highway within about 50 miles of my hometown and it didn't really have any cars on it, so it wasn't until I was visiting my grandparents in Philly when I was in college and my mom broke her glasses so I had to drive home that she realized that I didn't really know how to navigate highways. I'm loads better now, and more confident, but I'm still happier on emptier roads and try to time things to avoid rush hours in strange cities.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I don't care who you are, good driver + 12 months of no driving = weak driver.
I'd argue that you could accurately say 3-6 months. I didn't drive but twice for about 6 months a couple of years ago and when I got back it took me about a week of regular driving to really get the hang of it again, and probably a month before I felt like I did before I left.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

I've wrecked two vehicles within less than six months of each other in the same year.

Both happened in 1999. The first one happened in March. I got distracted by how the woods on either side of the road had been burned. I started veering off the road, over-corrected, did a couple of 360's, went backwards down an embankment, slid along a few trees at a 45º angle, straightened back out, and continued going backwards a few more feet, knocking down a few saplings. I had a 1976 or 1977 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight, Regency class. The fucker was a tank. I called it "Big Red Boat" because it was red inside and out. I came out of that mess with just a tiny scratch on my thumb.

The second one occurred in August of that year. I was sitting at a stop sign, waiting to turn left. I began to proceed, and didn't see the car coming from my left. Correction: I didn't look both ways before making the turn. I wrecked the 1993 Nissan pick-up I drove. It, too, was red. Truck was pretty much totalled. Other car suffered a good bit of damage. The passenger complained of her chest hurting, and the driver suffered a burn on her arm, more than likely from the airbag. We went to the hospital, X-rays revealed nothing on either one of them. I suffered no injuries. I am what I think you would call a lucky son of a bitch.

I did receive a ticket for the second crash. I also received a ticket a few years later for passing a stopped school bus. It was pulled over in front of an apartment complex. It didn't matter. It was stopped, the sign was out, the lights were flashing, and kids were getting off. I was fucked.

I also received a couple of tickets for an expired tag, and received one for a burnt-out headlight.

I'm usually good about obeying the speed limit. Once in a while I might go a few over, but only if conditions allow, like on the interstate. One thing I can't afford is a speeding ticket.

I'm also pretty good about obeying all other traffic laws, except the few times I've screwed up in the past. Now I try to get my tag renewed before it's expired. Luckily I'm not in a situation where I encounter stopped school buses while driving, unless I happen to be driving the company vehicle when school gets out. My mom complains half the time about me driving slow (according to her), but I drive the speed limit.

I sometimes seem to wait too long at a green light when I want to turn left, until there's a safe distance between me and the driver coming in the opposite direction. One reason why I hardly turn on green unless it's a green turn signal is because one time when my grandma and I were driving to my parents house when I still lived with her, we began to turn left on a green light, and a car coming in the opposite direction started speeding up when he saw us getting ready to turn. There was another car behind us, also trying to turn. There was a bad accident at that intersection. Luckily we got out just in time. One more second and I probably wouldn't be here right now. I had always waited at a green light when I want to turn left, especially if it's hard to really gauge the oncoming vehicle's distance and speed. That little close call really cemented my fears, and I always wait, until either it's clear enough, or I have the green turn signal.
PRG

An important message for you:

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

I am, for the most part, an excellent driver. However, since I've only got a permit, and not a license, I don't know how good a driver I'll be without my mother in the passenger seat with her eyes squeezed shut squealing at a pitch just above the hearing of dogs because there's one other car on the same two-mile stretch of road as me.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Ieatsoap6

Postby Ieatsoap6 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

I haven't been in any accidents that were my fault and only one accident total (got rear ended). The main problems I have with other drivers, and why I consider myself to be a good driver is when people change lanes without adequate room between vehicles, don't signal, or both. It takes almost exactly zero effort to say, "hey, I'm coming over, is that cool?" Instead, they say, "screw you. Make room or get hit, jerk."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

See, I have this theory.. work with me here.

If you are between the age where you are legally allowed to possess a driving license and the age of.. oh, roughly 20 - you're a poor driver. It has nothing to do with how it is that you're driving in your average day-to-day life, and a whole lot to do with lack of experience. There's also the thing where teenagers have problems doing accurate risk-assessments for their own behaviors that leads to teens doing dumb shit and getting seriously fucked up because of it.

If you have possessed a license for less than five years, you're also a poor driver. Again, nothing to do with your day-to-day driving, simply a lack of experience.

If you have moved from a warmer and/or dryer climate than your current one in the past two years.. then in certain times of the year, guess what? You're a poor driver due to your lack of experience handling the conditions in which you find yourself.

You might also just be a flat out bad driver and not admit it.

Personally, I drive too damn fast. I use signals. I usually leave plenty of room between the car ahead of me and myself. I say usually because, frankly, during rush hours.. yeah, I get too close to the person in front of me. This keeps people from leaping in front of me and immediately slamming on their brakes because it's goddamn rush hour stopandgo traffic. Even following too close, I do my best to keep a stopping distance and watch all of the cars in front of me that I can. I keep my mirrors arranged so that there's one spot that I cannot see.. I can't figure out a way around it, but the only thing that can hide there is a crotch rocket. Since I keep an eye on every motorcycle around me whenever they are around me, I'm usually completely aware that the cyclist is there.

I think I'm an okay to below average driver.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

I don't drive, therefore, I'm not a driver, therefore, I'm not a bad driver
QED
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

Woot! 8 years with a licence, over 20, same driving conditions!

I just speed. And then some other anger related bad driving at times.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

Ieatsoap6 wrote:I haven't been in any accidents that were my fault and only one accident total (got rear ended). The main problems I have with other drivers, and why I consider myself to be a good driver is when people change lanes without adequate room between vehicles, don't signal, or both. It takes almost exactly zero effort to say, "hey, I'm coming over, is that cool?" Instead, they say, "screw you. Make room or get hit, jerk."

Which makes up about 95% of all the bad drivers in Atlanta. I am so not looking forward to having to go back to Norcross in mid-November. Atlanta drivers can't drive worth shit. Doubly so on rainy days.
PRG

An important message for you:

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

I've never been in an accident (and I've avoided plenty), though I've received two speeding tickets.

The first was for going 70 on an empty (apart from me and the cop that was hiding), wide, and mostly straight desert road, so I don't consider that one to be particularly reckless. The second was in a well-known (though not to me at the time) speed trap. I deserved the tickets, but my driving wasn't what I would consider bad or dangerous.

One area where I'm definitely above average is that I can competently drive a manual, which I learned during an incredibly rainy season in a bare-basics, no power-assisted anything car. If you can competently and intuitively finesse the clutch when the pedal offers so much resistance that it makes your leg sore after extended driving, anything else is a step up in terms of ease-of-use. I drove a 10-wheel Vietnam-era military cargo truck off-road and it wasn't too difficult by comparison.

Also, the heavy amount of freeway driving I have to do to and from school, mostly during near-rush-hour times have made me good at navigating heavy freeway traffic. Beyond developing various different location-specific tactics, there's a certain level of aggressiveness that you need to drive on the freeway efficiently that a lot of overly cautious drivers lack. Being able to quickly spot an open space in a lane and effectively take it without slowing down traffic behind you or losing it, or posing a danger to other drivers, is a valuable skill that can save a lot of time. Sticking to one lane is good in unfamiliar territory, but knowing which lanes move fastest at which points is something that only experience driving in a specific location will tell you, and being able to make those lane changes quickly and safely is the only way to really use that information.

As far as safety, I would say I'm a pretty average driver, the average driver here being one who speeds a bit. As far as surface street driving, I also think I'm pretty average, I could probably be better, I'm not great at navigating and I tend to speed a bit too much. But I think there are certain techniques that I'm definitely above-average in, based on practice and experience. I do a lot more freeway driving than a lot of people I know, and I've done a lot more of it than a lot of people who have had their licenses for much longer than me, so I think I'm probably above average in that regard.

Puck

Postby Puck » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:If I could have an alternate horn that would yell "If you use your turn signal, I'll let you in" loud enough to hear inside another car, I would pay nearly any amount of money for it.

And I have a new signature.

I consider myself a good driver; I've never caused an accident, I have excellent control of my car, and my reflexes and awareness of surroundings are good. However, shit can still happen. Two weeks ago, when another car I was following swerved out of the way of a piece of debris I was pointed directly at, I was unable to get out of the way without doing something even more stupid like crashing into another car or the median.

The debris turned out to be the gas tank of a crotch rocket that had just plowed into the back of a semi truck at probably 100 mph or more. The rest of the bike, and the biker, were easily a couple hundred yards away. My car's still not out of the shop... but at least I'm still alive.
22/7 wrote:If I could have an alternate horn that would yell "If you use your turn signal, I'll let you in" loud enough to hear inside another car, I would pay nearly any amount of money for it.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

DaMullet wrote:I am, for the most part, an excellent driver. However, since I've only got a permit, and not a license, I don't know how good a driver I'll be without my mother in the passenger seat with her eyes squeezed shut squealing at a pitch just above the hearing of dogs because there's one other car on the same two-mile stretch of road as me.

No-one can be an excellent driver before they've even got their license, and believing it about yourself doesn't help. See: what Talon said.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Silvyr

Postby Silvyr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

haha. I will GLADLY admit I am a suck-tastic driver. First night out, I got pulled over because the cop thought I was drunk XD I was 16 and had NEVER drank before. I just had some pretty severe line issues >.<

Another time, I got two flat tires, 15 minutes apart, over 50 miles from home at 11 at night >.< that was a bad one. Also, it was sleeting so I had to walk in the sleet, at night, to a small local owned resturaunt to wait for someone to come pick me up because it would've costed mega bucks to tow my car home.

Along with that, it was only about 8 that night, but I didn't see the deer standing still, in the middle of the lane until I was about 6 yards from it >.< I stomped on the breaks, the three cars behind me skidded into the next lane [no oncoming traffic luckily] and I finally got the car to stop less than 4 feet from the poor thing XD It literally fell over from shock, then got up and ran like it was on fire XD

And on top of all those, I was nearly responsible for causing a highway pile-up *death* Once again. Stationary object I didn't see in the middle of the road, all teh traffic behind me swerved to avoid collisions, three cars and a truck went onto the other side of the highway while there was oncoming traffic, the on coming cars managed to spot them and switch lanes or stop before anyhting had happened. Still. Badness.

*sigh* I'm just not meant to drive.
Asmodieus wrote:You're a Cullen, Silvyr.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:01 am UTC

I'll admit that I'm inexperienced and need a lot more practise. :-/
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:57 am UTC

I'm no good at driving. However, I think I've got the capacity to be a very good one, I've just only been driving for a couple months.

The parking is the worst... somehow, I find parallel parking the easiest, followed by backing in, THEN going in forwards. The only way I can explain it is that I've been taught formulas for the first two (i.e. "line up rear-view mirror with parking line 3 lines past the space, hard right, etc..."), but going in forwards you just sort of wing it.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:12 am UTC

I've never received as much as a ticket. My record is flawless so far. However, I'll need more experience until I consider myself a good driver. Right now, I'm decent at best.

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:13 am UTC

I feel like a bad driver, but I suspect it's poor confidence more than anything else. On the other hand I haven't been driving that many years, or that regularly so I'm sure I've still got a ways to go in terms of experience. Probably my worst quality is that I tend to get "frazzled" easily. Say I took a turn too fast, causing the tires to squeal. No harm done, but I'm liable to get shaken up and then do something worse like run a stop sign. This is also why I failed my first driving test, the tester kept pointing out every little thing I did wrong which made me very nervous. The second time taking the test they didn't do that, and I was fine. Since I've noticed this fault I make a conscious effort to forget whatever incident happened and get back to focusing on what I'm doing next. So far so good I guess.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:13 am UTC

I think I'm a bad driver, for the opposite reasons as most people: I'm too careful. Late last year, someone hit me while I was pulling out of a blind intersection in front of the driver side door. Totaled my car, and I was a nervous wreck for about three days, and refused to drive for two months after. Nowdays, when I'm driving, I get nervous whenever anything gets close to the car, and the stiffness of my muscles causes me to drive jerkily. Also, now I tend to wait a little too long at intersections just to make sure nothing's coming.

No driving citations though.

EDIT:
ManaUser wrote:Probably my worst quality is that I tend to get "frazzled" easily. Say I took a turn too fast, causing the tires to squeal. No harm done, but I'm liable to get shaken up and then do something worse like run a stop sign.

I do this too sometimes. Once, I needed to go to the University district in West Seattle. I first made a small error and got myself lost, after that I went on a series of increasingly bad moves just trying to find my way around, cumulating in a short trip the wrong way down a one-way street that I didn't notice was a one-way street. My passenger was not thrilled.
Last edited by hideki101 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:16 am UTC

That's probably my biggest problem too. I end up doing silly things like starting to go through the intersection, then stopping because it looks like that guy over there might run the light. <_< This tends to spark a chain reaction in which my dad gets upset, which just fucks my nerves and confidence, leading to more mistakes. (Also, it doesn't help when he gives ambiguous directions and then freaks out when I fail to follow them.)

The only time this actually caused a problem of any significant magnitude was when I hit a parked truck, fortunately I was just crawling out of a parking lot (so doing maybe 5km/h) and it was bumper-to-bumper, so there was no damage to either vehicle, and nobody noticed. Hehe.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:01 am UTC

In general, I'm a pretty good driver. The rules of the road, etc. all come pretty easily to me. I find driving to be kind of soothing, actually (except traffic, which is dull). However, there are a few exceptions. I have a thing with stop signs. Sometimes I, uh, don't notice them. And continue to drive into the street. This has caused my passenger to panic more than once. Also, my parking kind of fails. I'm just lazy and never take the time to angle the car to make a perfect parking job - I just pull in however it works and call it good.

All in all, I'd say I'm an average driver: I'm not about to get in an accident every time I put my foot on the gas, but I definitely screw up every now and then.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:30 am UTC

I'm a horrible driver. I only have access to a car twice a year however, so for the most time people don't have to suffer for it. When I do get to drive however I'm horrible, I follow the speed limits and the right-hand-rule, I don't even cut turns and I slow down when seeing sheep or reindeer on the road. I guess the reason is mostly because I got a very insecure nature and will always think the worst is going to happen no matter how unlikely.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Return to “General”