It made sense at the time...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bonzombiekitty

Re: It made sense at the time...

Postby bonzombiekitty » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

Any time there's a flat screen computer kiosk at a store (i.e. the computers at Borders customers can use to search the store), I always start pressing buttons on the screen with my finger and get annoyed that it doesn't do anything. Of course, I fail to notice the keyboard and trackball right in front of me and thus is not a touch screen. I once went to three different computers at Borders and got really pissed off that none of them worked before I realized what I was doing. Once I realized what I had done, I stood and stared at the kiosk for a couple minutes thinking about how interesting it was that I just naturally assumed it was a touch screen and how user interfaces have evolved to the point that it's my natural assumption.

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

Trying to use a snack machine with a 'Use Correct Change' sign on it. Trust them signs...

I mean, in the past I've had no real problem with these machines, and I've gotten change with absolutley no problem-probably about the third time I disobey the sign, it swallows £1 for a 40 pence sweet... [killness]Damn those machines...[/killness]

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

Even worse is when the vending machines consistently steal your change, and sometimes don't even give you a drink. Needless to say, I avoid those now, but still, :x.
The new Pepsi machines seem to have a design flaw; if you don't shove the coin in with a decent amount of force, it gets stuck.

For that matter, why do the machines only take change? It's 2008. I should be able to just hold my phone up to it and use Bluetooth to have the payment added to my bill. But then again, if I could, I'd have such a massive bill... <_<
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Where I worked, we had magnetic keys which we loaded money onto in order to use the machines.

Good times.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Melannen

Postby Melannen » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:43 am UTC

I once let my sister in law dye my hair blue. [stupid] melannen [/stupid]

in order to do that, she had to first cut and bleach my hair and then she had to die it blue. About a week later my hair washed out to this hideous snot green. [everyone] we toldja so [/laughs]

MechanicalPen

Postby MechanicalPen » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:53 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Where I worked, we had magnetic keys which we loaded money onto in order to use the machines.

Good times.
(some of) The vending machines at my university are like that. You can use your meal plan to get stuff out of the vending machines. It's pretty cool.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:25 am UTC

My student ID has a magstripe that I can load money onto, but the places I can use it are steadily dwindling (though we're about to get a dining hall to go with our very first dorm, so it will probably be useful there) And my freshman year, they let us link the card to a WellsFargo checking account, but by the next semester that was completely useless.
As it stands, money on the card can only be used at the on campus bookstore, one register at the campus cafe, and the printing center (which only accepts money on the cards)
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

So the night before last I went to sleep, then woke up about an hour or two later, convinced that the stalactites hanging fromt he ceiling were going to fall on my face. My solution? I put a chair next to my bed and attempted to go back to sleep with my upper body on the bed and the rest of me in the chair. This didn't work, and after a few more unsuccessful ideas I went back to the usual standby or just putting a blanket over my head and dealing with it.

Fast forward to the morning, and I wake up. Everything is as it should be, except... wait, why is that chair sitting next to my bed? ...Oh. Right.

PatchMonster

Postby PatchMonster » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

See signature. I believe I was comparing the origin of the internet to the origin of the universe (atheist view).

Edit in case I change my sig: "The internet always was and always is; mere humans just couldn't tap into it."
The liberal media has a hidden agenda!

Simply Curious

Postby Simply Curious » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:46 pm UTC

I made the mistake of reading entirely through this thread while slightly sleep deprived and listening to the Doors. After about half an hour, I wasn't really able to distinguish between "What if?" and "Is"

I then proceeded to climb up onto the walls of the hall, with one foot braced on either wall. I realized that I must be standing over something, and that it was most likely a water buffalo. A few moments later, I realized that I wasn't high enough for a water buffalo to pass underneath, nor could I get high enough with the low ceiling, so I ducked back into my room.

Afterward, I started a psychic war with the demon residing in my cell phone.

The funny thing is that part of my mind knew that my actions didn't really make sense, but that part was amused enough to let it continue.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:55 am UTC

PatchMonster wrote:Edit in case I change my sig:
As someone who recently caught up on a year's worth of (selected) threads, THANK YOU.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

HareichiSan

Postby HareichiSan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:48 am UTC

I draw at school a lot. Also, since my dumb, not-well-funded computers don't have anything besides word and paint on them, I play with paint after assignments. Anyhow, I draw. I was drawing in class recently, and I attemted to make a box around a part of the picture and move it, only failing and drawing a line through my picture.

Skaevola

Postby Skaevola » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:54 am UTC

I no longer allow myself to use myspace first thing in the morning. I woke up one time and, before doing anything else, jumped onto the computer and asked a friend of mine to marry me on myspace. I had a fun time a few hours later thinking up an excuse for having done so.

Also, I had a fevered hallucination once that I was a tiger and ripped up the blankets on my bed. For nearly two hours I lay in my room feeling guilty that I had destroyed my blankets. Fevers suck.

Sometimes when I do something stupid, my first thought is, "Oh, that's okay. I'll just load my game and-- aw, crap."

purpleshoes wrote:Being a good friend is not like putting money in the blowjob bank.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:59 am UTC

I think that everyone who has used eclipse will agree with me on this one. after using eclipse for extended periods of time you find yourself at least attempting to hit ctrl+s and look for errors.

also, just yesterday I spent about 5 hours playing the same game and so when I attempted to put my computer to other use, I kept trying to map the game commands to the actions I was trying to take.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

vordhosbn

Postby vordhosbn » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:23 am UTC

I call this "late night, drunken cooking syndrome". One time I got home at 3:30am and decided that I'd warm up the chicken curry from supper. It was still in a saucepan so I figured I'd just put it on the hob. A few minutes later I realized that I still had a half bottle of beer in my hand....people cook with beer right? so I added that to the mix and yet it was still missing something, so in a flash of genius I emptied a tin of tuna into the pot and because it seemed to have too much liquid in it, put some bread in to soak some of that up.

I don't know if there's a name for what I ended up with, but I sincerely hope that there isn't. Tasted great at the time though...
Ego Custodiam Ipsos Custodet

anouk

Postby anouk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:33 am UTC

vordhosbn wrote:I call this "late night, drunken cooking syndrome". One time I got home at 3:30am and decided that I'd warm up the chicken curry from supper. It was still in a saucepan so I figured I'd just put it on the hob. A few minutes later I realized that I still had a half bottle of beer in my hand....people cook with beer right? so I added that to the mix and yet it was still missing something, so in a flash of genius I emptied a tin of tuna into the pot and because it seemed to have too much liquid in it, put some bread in to soak some of that up.

I don't know if there's a name for what I ended up with, but I sincerely hope that there isn't. Tasted great at the time though...

I've done something similar to that... making sandwiches for god knows what the next day, and using biblical amounts of spread.
Someone say something funny please, I need a new signature.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

Okay, has anyone else here ever played an old adventuring game "Azrael's Tear"? It has a nifty feature where you can click on almost any random object and scan it for information.....a little like Metroid Prime, but covers like 90% of the environment, including just "Hmm, I wonder what this wall is made out of?" Anyway, occasionally I'll have spurts where I see some random object that catches my attention (an advertisement, a tree, an odd structure in a building) and I'll want to scan it for information....or click it for the link to its article in wikipedia. I then get incredibly frustrated when I can't figure out where my mouse cursor went....

I've also done the macro-thing, where you play a game for a while, and then try to do the button-press in real life. After playing too much FFXI, I've had spurts of trying to take screenshots IRL of pretty sunsets, random cool objects, etc. I also occasionally, after a puzzle-like game, have the thing of my brain constantly working in that sort of puzzle...be it tetris and fitting random objects into the right shape, or looking for destructable points in the environment, or whatever.

Oh, and after beating Metroid Prime 3 on Hyper Mode difficulty (the last boss took friggin' AGES, putting me very much in that game's mentality), I remember being very confused at the fact that, contrary to my expectations, my right arm did NOT, in fact, almost constantly spew forth streams of blue energy (the Wiimote setup contributed heavily to this, what with the added immersion in the game).
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

When my retarded dog woke me up with nonstop barking, I was convinced for a good few minutes it was because something was wrong with the X server, and just laid there thinking I was running commands to fix it, when I was actually doing nothing.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

the vending machine posts at the top made me remember this.
it's late at night and me and a friend want a soda, but only have enough for one. we agreed on root beer and pressed the button for a long time. only one soda came out.
i tried similar things when i was younger too.
i tried pushing two buttons at once.
or on candy machines (the give-a-quarter-turn-the twisty-thingy kind) i've frequently tried turning it very slowly so that the slider thingy that releases the candy would stick, giving me alot, or atleast more, candy.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Daelar

Postby Daelar » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:46 am UTC

I was, for awhile, convinced my ex had written a biography, because I'd dreamed it. To the point where I looked for it in a shop on a sort of 'oo I wonder how much it is' moment as I walked past. It took about a month for me to actually realize it was completely in my dreams.

Then there's the 'why couldn't I see him on my radar' moment after I played Counter Strike Source too much and went into college.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:57 am UTC

I was just clearing out my pockets onto my desk, and chucked my keys into my bin. WTF?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:49 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I was just clearing out my pockets onto my desk, and chucked my keys into my bin. WTF?

Too much Legend of Zelda games eh? I mean keys break all the time in that game.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

dizturbd

Postby dizturbd » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:41 am UTC

A few years ago I was walking to my Nan's, when i had an epithany. Birds don't actually glide in the air, they bounce off the ground, get to such a great height, and fall. Rinse and repeat. But they do this so fast it's hard to see with the naked eye.
But how to account for the forward direction? They fall at such an angle that they bounce forward a little each time.
I actually started trying to figure out the path they took with my arms while walking down the street.

Brother's friend: "What are you doing?"
Me, coming to my senses: "Urm.....nothing. Gotta go *Runs to my nan's*"

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

Last week I woke up in the middle of the night with a godawful stomach ache and nausea. I didn't have to take a dump and I couldn't make myself throw up, so it was me doubled over without relief in the bathroom for half an hour, dead convinced that I was pregnant. Somehow it escaped me that my ailments were more likely caused by the fact that I over ate at dinner, and it was of fairly heavy, greasy food.

I woke up fine in the morning, though I did have fun announcing to my SO later on, "So last night, I ended up in the bathroom thinking I was pregnant..."
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

I have cats at home. One of the cats pushed my bedroom door open, waking me up. When I looked to see what was making the noise, I completely missed the fact that my friend Catherine was coming in from the hallway and "saw" a shadowy figure walking across the doorway toward the bathroom. I jump up, grab the mag-light next to my bed (for just such an occasion, actually) and start shouting at the guy. My SO wakes up, very confused at why I'm shouting at nothing. At some point I realize that I was just seeing things, check the whole apartment out and go back to bed.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:At some point I realize that I was just seeing things, check the whole apartment out and go back to bed.

I suspect that I would rather die at the hands of an intruder than get up out of bed every time I'm "just seeing things".
...the whim of a hat.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
ParanoidAndroid wrote:If the phone rings while I'm asleep, my alarm clock usually gets a decent beating. This happens fairly often.
I actually do the opposite of this fairly regularly, trying to find the button to shut off the alarm on my clock when the phone rings.
How are those opposites?

The most common 'it made sense at the time' I have is related to my alarm clock. Almost every morning I'll wake up just before it's going to go off and decide "Well I'm awake now, guess I don't need the alarm clock" *off* *sleep* Fortunately, I have a second alarm clock for this reason.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

kgirl06

Postby kgirl06 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:10 am UTC

I'll have dreams that I think are real all the time. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out where I left my black acoustic guitar. The other night, I dreamed that I found said guitar in my great-grandmother's house while I was visiting her. When I woke up, I was fully convinced for about five minutes that it had actually happened, and that I needed to go get it. I failed to take into account the facts that: 1. The house in my dream was MY old house, and my great-grandmother had never lived there. 2. Said house is about five hours away from where I live now, and I haven't been there in years. 3. My great-grandmother died two years ago. It was an odd feeling.

Oh, and I almost cut all my hair off with those mini-scissors that come in nail kits. I'm not sure why I thought this was a good idea, but it seemed appealing at the time.
my friend Catherine says μ.

English lurks in dark alleyways, beats up other languages, and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:15 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
ParanoidAndroid wrote:If the phone rings while I'm asleep, my alarm clock usually gets a decent beating. This happens fairly often.
I actually do the opposite of this fairly regularly, trying to find the button to shut off the alarm on my clock when the phone rings.

I don't confuse my phone tone with my alarm clock, but it's happened a couple of times now that if I'm not at home and hear a phone ring that has the same tone as my home phone, I get the unsettling feeling that I'm asleep and I need to wake up. It's happened at the airport and at shopping centres. I think I must have a fairly common brand of phone?

And I usually have crazy-normal dreams, stuff that is so utterly mundane that it is hard to tell if it was a dream or a memory the next morning, so I know it isn't unusual for me to be dreaming about something stupid like trying to decide between different brands of cereal.

I think this whole thing is caused by my sleep-in often being interrupted by the phone ringing. Damned telemarketers most of the time.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Waldo

Postby Waldo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:37 am UTC

Luthen wrote:
22/7 wrote:
How are those opposites?

The most common 'it made sense at the time' I have is related to my alarm clock. Almost every morning I'll wake up just before it's going to go off and decide "Well I'm awake now, guess I don't need the alarm clock" *off* *sleep* Fortunately, I have a second alarm clock for this reason.
Been there, done that.

Also, sometimes when I'm semi-awake in the morning, I'll realize I need to see if it's time to wake up, and I'll dream that I'm checking my watch. Inevitably it'll say it's early, so I'll go back to sleep...
[Signature pending...]

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:05 am UTC

I put my wet socks in the microwave to dry them. It worked pretty well! But then they turned to charcoal. At least the non-charcoaly parts are for the cat to play with.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:51 am UTC

I'm sorry for your loss of the socks, but I would have liked to have seen your face when you opened the microwave door. Might've been really entertaining.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:05 pm UTC

Most of mine happened when I was younger. For instance, I was about 10...I think...anyway, so I get up to go to the bathroom. Problem is, I'm three-quarters asleep and the waste basket reminds me of the toilet. So I take a piss in it. In my defense, it was a white waste basket. Another time I called my black/african-american teacher mom, despite coming from a purely Caucasian family. Another time I had a dream that my penis hulked out and became this massive thing about as thick as a baseball bat and just as long. Next morning I wake up and wonder what the hell happened to my dick. Needless to say, I realized it was a dream. Finally, I've woken up and thought that I was someone completely different. Not sure who, I just knew that I was in the wrong body.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I'm sorry for your loss of the socks, but I would have liked to have seen your face when you opened the microwave door. Might've been really entertaining.

It was mostly panic - the smell was all over the apartment (and it lasted for a day, too!).
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

I know this is a way old post, but since the thread has been bumped...

1. Buy a tractor.
2. ?????
3. Profit!!

Contribution!!!:
A couple of years back I was staying at my Aunt and Uncles house for a weekend. Sunday afternoon I was really tired, so I crashed for a nap. When I woke up, the clock said 7:00, and for some reason my half asleep brain interpreted this as 7:00am, so I wandered into the kitchen (not realising it was dark, or that I was already dressed) and starting making myself breakfast. Soon after, my Aunt wandered in to start cooking dinner, and asked my what I was doing. Thankfully, her laughter at my reply was enough to wake me up the rest of the way and bring me to my senses. Talk about embarrassing...
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:I'm sorry for your loss of the socks, but I would have liked to have seen your face when you opened the microwave door. Might've been really entertaining.
It was mostly panic - the smell was all over the apartment (and it lasted for a day, too!).
I once had a hard boiled egg in the fridge and decided to heat it up in the microwave. Not my most brilliant moment.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:48 pm UTC

When DiRT came out for the PC, I played it almost all day for a good week or two. My mom and I went to best buy or something and when we were going around a turn, I looked up to see how sharp the turn was in my mini map so I'd know how fast to go...even though I wasn't driving.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:04 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote: After playing too much FFXI, I've had spurts of trying to take screenshots IRL of pretty sunsets, random cool objects, etc.

That's called a picture.
There is no enemy anywhere, only idiots with weapons.
My life is worthless, how I affect others is priceless.
Spoiler:

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:40 am UTC

i_ll_winn wrote:
Aikanaro wrote: After playing too much FFXI, I've had spurts of trying to take screenshots IRL of pretty sunsets, random cool objects, etc.

That's called a picture.
Dude, yeah, you just hold up the thing that holds the camera* and press the big PrtScn button on the top.

*the camera that goes around your FFXI character, i mean. the camera-holder itself is also called a camera; i know how confusing that is more than you ever will.
500%!

greeniguana00

Postby greeniguana00 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:46 am UTC

I've had a lot of interesting things happen due to my occasionally strange sleep patterns.

One time, during finals, I woke up realizing I was late for a test. I dashed out of the door and rode down the street as fast as I could (bicycle, of course). I remember thinking, "Isn't it strange that the sun hasn't come up yet?" I got to the school, and the front doors were locked. I noticed a janitor inside, so I pounded on the door. He let me in, and I thanked him. "What are you here for?" he asked. Out of breath, I told him I had a final to take. After he asked if I was sure I had the right time, I finally realized I must have been confused about something... but I still couldn't tell what. I rode home, still convinced something strange was going on. Upon opening my front door, I realized I must have gotten confused about how much time passed during a nap I had taken. I checked the time to confirm, and indeed the clock said "PM" not "AM."

Now here's the funny part: I asked myself, "Wait, I thought it was Tuesday. Why does this say Monday?" :D
Goodnight, g♥♥dnight! There's something magnificent about good night with two disemboweled hearts in it, or at least it seems that way when you're so happy.

Return to “General”